Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Info Overlay in Full Screen on the Mac  (Read 9516 times)

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
Re: Info Overlay in Full Screen on the Mac
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2014, 05:08:00 am »

With the Windows full screen you still have that option. While in full screen, hit I 3 times to cycle through the views--no info, info 1 and info 2.

Bill

I think it would be nice if the info overlay was available on the Mac in full screen. I use Lightroom for critique sessions on my workshops and the lack of info overlay makes it necessary toggle back and forth between full screen on loupe view to see the info overlay which should not be needed. As mentioned this is a thing that Adobe could easily provide, of course and has nothing to do with the OS. How much programming and testing would this need? Not much I think :)

bjanes

« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2014, 12:52:09 pm »

Wait, on my MBP/Retina;

pressing "F" in Library produces picture only. I key does nothing

shift/command/F (no control Wayne) produces "Full Screen" and most certainly will toggle info with the "I" key.. consistently

That does work!

Many thanks,

Bill

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2014, 09:15:25 am »

Wait, on my MBP/Retina;

shift/command/F (no control Wayne) produces "Full Screen" and most certainly will toggle info with the "I" key.. consistently

But that's not full screen. The command has no function here and shift F will toggle though filling the screen with Lightoom. Only F will do really full screen.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2014, 09:16:53 am »

That does work!

Many thanks,

Bill

Try it again! Command shift F does the same as shift F for me and it's not full screen.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2014, 09:30:09 am »

I think this is right....

Shift F once hides the application window, again hides the menu bar so you are in not-quite full screen, again brings you back to normal. But it leaves the side panels as they ar.

Cmd/Ctrl Shift F goes straight to no application window and no menu, but also hides the side panels. It's not true full screen, which is F, but in its loupe view you get the Info Overlay.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2014, 09:36:15 am »

I think this is right....

Shift F once hides the application window, again hides the menu bar so you are in not-quite full screen, again brings you back to normal. But it leaves the side panels as they ar.

Cmd/Ctrl Shift F goes straight to no application window and no menu, but also hides the side panels. It's not true full screen, which is F, but in its loupe view you get the Info Overlay.

For me cmd has no function in this case. repeatedly pushing F with shift and cmd does the same as shift alone. I'm using LR 5.6 on Mac.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2014, 09:38:57 am »

I tested that on PC and it was Ctrl Shift F once, though I wouldn't be surprised if there was a little difference. But its key benefit is hiding all four side panels to get to almost-full screen.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2014, 10:23:22 am »

I tested that on PC and it was Ctrl Shift F once, though I wouldn't be surprised if there was a little difference. But its key benefit is hiding all four side panels to get to almost-full screen.

I tested again and you are right that the cmd makes the panels go away in the version that covers the most and the toggling works differently. only two times pushing F to go back and forth between LR a s a window and full screen (meaning LR will cover the entire screen, not that a single photo is in full screen). One would still need to push T to get rid of the bottom tool bar. I agree this is a work around, that I also have used before LR 5 which implemented the full screen for a single photo no matter if you were in the library module or the develop module. The current implementation of F is a bit weird in that if I push e.g. R while in full screen nothing shows, but if then push F I will the crop tool. So LR does receive the key strokes and does what is needed but does not move from full screen mode. E,D and G does take LR back from full screen except that D does not if the development mode is already active.... try it out :) This mode is a bit buggy.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2014, 02:38:47 pm »

Wait, on my MBP/Retina;

A habit of many who teach regularly (i teach the Lightroom classes here at my store)  is to say or write “command/control” as a modifier, the first being for Mac users, the second for windows users.  My reference was not to use both command and control, thus the / in the sentence. Often you will see option/alt used the same way.

Just some observations between the difference between Lightrooms full screen view (or mode) if you want to call it that, and Lightrooms Full Screen Preview.  Shift -Command/control F is full screen view or mode, and autohides all panels and the menu bar and zooms the working space to fill the screen. (as mentioned, this  is a shortcut to hitting command/control F twice). Since this is the working space, the filter bar at the top and toolbar at bottom remain visible if open, but can be hidden (T and \).  Many keyboard shortcuts still work, for example you can use the , and . key to cycle through the basic panel and the = and - keys to adjust the currently active one (and the i key to toggle through the overlay). As you do this Lightroom pops up a brief dialog on top of the image to let you know which adjustment is currently active, and each time you make an adjustment it pops up the current value of that setting.

Full screen preview is a new function in LR5, which was to replace the need to do multiple keystrokes to get a full screen image with lights out that was required in preview versions. It sort of does a full screen and lights out thing but it is working a little differently, the image is slightly larger because the space for the little autohide triangles are gone and panels are not available. - as might be expected if it’s purpose is to toggle in and out of a quick preview.  In full screen preview mode, most keystrokes are still available but there is a slight difference.  If you move through the basic panel or make changes to a setting, the text alert appears in the bottom left corner of the screen, not in black box in the middle about 25% from the bottom (which is on top of the image) like it does if you are in full screen view or mode.  And as noted, the info overlay cannot be seen in full screen preview (on a mac). So there is some effort to not interfere with the view of the image when in full screen preview mode and either the Mac team interpreted it slightly differently than the windows team, or one version has a bug.

You can get very close to what the OP was talking about.  If you hit full screen view (shift command  F), hide the toolbar (T), hide the filter bar (\), then right click on the background and set it to black, full screen view looks almost identical to full screen preview, with the exception that the info overlay is now visible.  Whether it’s worth all those keystrokes or not (and the background remains black when you move from full screen view) is of course the tradeoff. 

bjanes

« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2014, 02:41:41 pm »

But that's not full screen. The command has no function here and shift F will toggle though filling the screen with Lightoom. Only F will do really full screen.

Hans is correct. CMD-Shift-F is not real full screen. Back to the drawing board. Perhaps in LR6 when it comes out.

Bill

allegretto

« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2014, 08:54:43 pm »

thanks for clarifying my misunderstanding of your language Wayne… cool Thanks for the other tips too!

well, OK you must also r-click on the background to make it black… the horror… the horror…

If you want info you'll have to settle for a slightly less than true full-screen mode. Never even knew of this "bug". Not really a bug though, I think they figure if you want true full-screen you don't want overlay and they have one for one goal and one for another.

Makes sense to me

bjanes

« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2014, 09:47:13 pm »

thanks for clarifying my misunderstanding of your language Wayne… cool Thanks for the other tips too!

well, OK you must also r-click on the background to make it black… the horror… the horror…

If you want info you'll have to settle for a slightly less than true full-screen mode. Never even knew of this "bug". Not really a bug though, I think they figure if you want true full-screen you don't want overlay and they have one for one goal and one for another.

Makes sense to me

It may make sense to you that the info overlay is not wanted with full screen, but for my application full screen with an info overlay is what I want. It is available in Windows.

Bill
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up