Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Argyll CMS  (Read 19923 times)

deejjjaaaa

Re: Argyll CMS
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2014, 11:26:00 pm »

I buy lots of apps, many of them work well, and I would buy yours. Beauty can be appreciated by the masses if they can access it.
there are quite some GUI frontends for argyll...

keith_cooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2014, 05:24:07 am »

there are quite some GUI frontends for argyll...
Indeed, that is why I used the phrase "well designed modern user centred interface" rather than GUI. It's about the whole user experience, from installation to patterns of usage.

I know from reviewing many commercial software products over the years, that getting the balance right with respect to functionality and usability for different user categories is not a trivial matter...

I do realise the seriously large amount of work to design, build and test such software, and no criticism at all was intended of the huge amount of work that has been freely given in the development of the core functionality.
bye for now -- Keith
[url=http://www.nor

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2014, 12:46:10 pm »

Just curious whether creating a display profile using ArgyllCMS will deliver better or different looking previews editing under an Adobe driven color engine on a calibrated system compared to just relying on something like Colormunki Display profile.

This is the question that never gets asked in discussions of this sort.

And if you don't understand the question or don't see any differences, then I don't need the question answered nor do I need a better solution. OTOH, if there is better preview edit performance, then I'ld like to see hard evidence using screen grabs or taking a picture of an A/B display setup showing this improvement.

Just as a reminder, when I want to correct on the display color errors or undesirable image quality I see on a print, I have to make HUGE edits on the display to see a difference. And what I mean by huge amounts to about a Delta E of 5 and over in HSL.

Just want to see how fine to slice this hair.

GWGill

• Author of ArgyllCMS & ArgyllPRO ColorMeter
    • ArgyllCMS
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2014, 07:45:15 pm »

Just curious whether creating a display profile using ArgyllCMS will deliver better or different looking previews editing under an Adobe driven color engine on a calibrated system compared to just relying on something like Colormunki Display profile.
Some people have reported being more pleased with display profiles created using ArgyllCMS + DispcalGUI than the default Colormunki Display software, but it's hard to make generalizations - every type of color device has it's own behavior that the profiling software may or may not cope well with, and there is a tradeoff of time vs. quality as well. ArgyllCMS gives you more flexibility in this regard, but flexibility = complexity = confusion.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2014, 08:08:38 am »

FWIW, I've done some visual comparisons between NEC Spectraview with the dedicated puck they ship and ArgyllCMS.  I didn't see much if any difference so I've stuck with Spectraview as it's easier to setup and maintain.  I use ArgylCMS for all my paper profiling with an i1Pro.

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2014, 12:54:30 pm »

FWIW, I've done some visual comparisons between NEC Spectraview with the dedicated puck they ship and ArgyllCMS.  I didn't see much if any difference so I've stuck with Spectraview as it's easier to setup and maintain.  I use ArgylCMS for all my paper profiling with an i1Pro.

Alan, when you checked for differences did you determine this editing high gamut scenes like sunsets. As an example did you notice hue differences as demonstrated in the hue twists in the sunset lit clouds image comparison below?

The reason I ask is I've noticed in the passing years a few competing Raw converters interpret these type of color temp influenced hues differently which suggested how different approaches to writing their algorithms can affect previews in unexpected ways that resemble closely what I'ld observed trying out different brands of high/low quality watercolor dye vs pigment based paints back when I was a photo-realist painter. When I saw how such color subtlety could be controlled on a computer display at this level I could see how adhering to strict and exacting color science definitions and constructs for color rendering was futile.

StephaneB

• http://www.lumieredargent.com
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2016, 12:47:35 pm »

I have made comparisons with the stock software included with my i1 Display Pro and it is not pretty for X-Rite.

I only tested linearity and it was enough. A same file containing a simple gradient in PhotoShop showed linerity defects when displayed with the X-Rite-generated profile and it displayed perfectly when using the ArgyllCMS-generated profile. For display calibration and profiling, I find DispcalGUI very nice to use.

For printing, I used to use QTR for B&W and canned profiles for the very small number of colour pictures I print. I learned how to use ArgyllCMS from the command line to generate profiles for my R3000 and the few papers I use. It is an involved process, but far from insurmountable thanks to tutorials available at different places on the web and the documentation on the ArgyllCMS web site. The most difficult part was to find a way to print the targets without any colour management, thanks Adobe for removing that from PhotoShop !

Thanks to the quality of the generated profiles, I use them for colour and B&W printing, with excellent results. This great because I now have just one printing process for both types of pictures and I can finally use the toning tool in Lightroom.

Stéphane  [url=http://www.lumieredargen

AlterEgo

« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2016, 01:45:41 pm »

For display calibration and profiling, I find DispcalGUI very nice to use.
unfortunately it does not work with H/W LUTs, so if you have a little bit (or a lot) upscale monitor you have to use OEM software (which is not necessarily bad may be for the likes of Eizo or NEC - but for the tiers below it is almost always rebranded X-Rite).

Doug Gray

« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2016, 02:23:41 pm »

unfortunately it does not work with H/W LUTs, so if you have a little bit (or a lot) upscale monitor you have to use OEM software (which is not necessarily bad may be for the likes of Eizo or NEC - but for the tiers below it is almost always rebranded X-Rite).

The Eizo CN product calibrates the monitor's internal LUTs extremely well. The CG318 also has a built-in colorimeter that makes creating profiles easy peasy. I've checked color accuracy with Patchtool and I1 Pros and it is quite accurate.

The great thing about CN is that you can right click on the icon and instantly set your monitor for whatever colorspace you have previously created. I have a range of CCTs, and RGB gamuts that I switch based on what I'm working on. I love the flexibility.

I'm kind of nutty about color accuracy and tracking printer colors, profile accuracy for both printing and proofing (these use different ICC tables). 

Doug Gray

« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2016, 02:29:32 pm »

The most difficult part was to find a way to print the targets without any colour management, thanks Adobe for removing that from PhotoShop !

There is actually a very simple way to print charts for profiling in Photoshop. Assign any printer profile. In your color preferences set the defaults to Colorimetric and no BPC.  Then just print using Photoshop manages color and selecting the same printer profile with Colorimetric and no BPC. Ignore warning messages.

Works great. It bypasses everything and just sends the RGB values directly to the printer driver.

Etoa: You can use any RGB printer profile but not CYMK profiles. It doesn't have to be the printer you are using at the time.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 02:35:28 pm by Doug Gray »

StephaneB

• http://www.lumieredargent.com
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2016, 03:53:22 am »

There is actually a very simple way to print charts for profiling in Photoshop. Assign any printer profile. In your color preferences set the defaults to Colorimetric and no BPC.  Then just print using Photoshop manages color and selecting the same printer profile with Colorimetric and no BPC. Ignore warning messages.

Works great. It bypasses everything and just sends the RGB values directly to the printer driver.

Etoa: You can use any RGB printer profile but not CYMK profiles. It doesn't have to be the printer you are using at the time.

Thanks! I'll try that next time.

Stéphane  [url=http://www.lumieredargen
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up