John,
I agree with you that it comes down to "depending on which side one listens to" and just as you might listen to the latter case, the English parties have chosen to listen to the former. Why do you deny their sincerity? Can't the sincerity of those listening to pro-independence forecasts be questioned too? Plus, one year away from an election, English parties may be pretty clued up on English voters' views of currency unions.
I do not doubt the sincerity of politicians. I do, however, doubt their honesty, Isaac’s comment notwithstanding.

Nor do I listen to only one side of the argument.
The arguments of those advocating independence should absolutely be challenged. I have not claimed otherwise. All I have suggested is that we treat what we read and view in the media with a high degree of scepticism. Unionist politicians may well be correct, but they may well be incorrect. The same applies to pro-independence politicians. We simply do not know, and will not know prior to the referendum.
Do you not agree that independence will give Scots power to take their economy in a different direction from England's (Swinney was talking corporate tax changes just yesterday)? In fact you'd want that, wouldn't you? All that extra oil west of the Hebrides won't make Scotland's economy any more like England's, will it? Similarly, independence from Scotland would mean Parliamentary and economic power in England will shift even more towards regions like London and the South which have the very least in common with Scotland's economy, so you'd expect England to go its own way too.
I agree with the portion italicised above. I’m less convinced about the remainder.
…divergence is very likely and was of course one of the key items identified in the UK Treasury advice against a currency union. But hey, those who listen to those arguments don't know any better than trusting the politicians...
Please do not misrepresent what I have written.
Don't you recognise a wind up?
The more important question is why you repeatedly feel the need to ”wind up”. You do yourself a disservice.
…it may not be an attractive reason but don't you think that post-imperial attitude is fundamentally why "England is trying so hard to hold on to us"?
No, for such an attitude would indicate that sentiment took precedence over economics, and I do not consider that to be true.
I do not consider that “England is trying to hold on to us”. In my experience the English generally are ambivalent about Scotland becoming independent. I do consider that Westminster is trying its utmost to create uncertainty in the mind of the Scottish electorate in order to “hold onto us”. There must be a reason, and we both agree it does not arise out of the goodness of Westminster’s heart.
No government would wish to support a country which is a net burden on it. Therefore, Scotland presumably is a net asset. In any event, independence is about so much more than currency, despite the No campaign’s extraordinary attempt (and success to date) to turn the referendum into a question not being asked.