Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon has its Mark III  (Read 31892 times)

alan_b

• West Coast Architecture + Interiors Photographer
Re: Nikon has its Mark III
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2014, 10:22:18 pm »

Some nice tidbits:
Base ISO 64
Split-screen - I'm interested to see how usable/configurable this is for focusing tilt/swing movements
Electronic first-curtain shutter
Highlight-weighted metering (ETTR mode?)
Vibration improvements?

Will be interesting to see if live view has improved in low light, as well as the purple amp-glow.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2014, 08:39:00 pm »

First hands out reports seem to indicate they have made live view sexier. I hope it won't be a functional regression compared to the D800 that I continue to find very effective in live view.

Cheers,
Bernard

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2014, 09:43:42 pm »

Ya know, I've seen the early tests and all the usual hype which comes along with a new body, but I'm still not upgrading. The rush for this camera body has made the D800 virtually worthless in the after market. My D800 is still working perfectly for my usage. Since I already have all the best glass for the F mount I think I'm done for the next couple of years. Still waiting for Nikon to introduce something mind boggling for digital photography...

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2014, 11:14:18 pm »

Ya know, I've seen the early tests and all the usual hype which comes along with a new body, but I'm still not upgrading. The rush for this camera body has made the D800 virtually worthless in the after market. My D800 is still working perfectly for my usage. Since I already have all the best glass for the F mount I think I'm done for the next couple of years. Still waiting for Nikon to introduce something mind boggling for digital photography...

Totally understandable John. The D800 remains an amazing camera.

Cheers,
Bernard

Azmir

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2014, 01:32:22 am »

I just bought a D800 used 2 months back, low shutter count and still in good cosmetic condition. I don't know why but I do feel gutted with the release of the D810.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2014, 02:07:31 am »

Just played with a D810. The live view is probably going to meet the expectations of all.

Cheers,
Bernard

mjrichardson

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2014, 02:34:11 am »

Hi Bernard

What aspects of live view have improved? I'm of the same view as others, I love the D800 and bought a new D800E a couple of months back not worrying about new models because I love the files. I do use live view fairly regularly, it's great but no doubt it could be better when zoomed in, especially in lower light situations, is that side of things where the improvements lie?

Mat

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2014, 02:41:34 am »

Hi Bernard

What aspects of live view have improved? I'm of the same view as others, I love the D800 and bought a new D800E a couple of months back not worrying about new models because I love the files. I do use live view fairly regularly, it's great but no doubt it could be better when zoomed in, especially in lower light situations, is that side of things where the improvements lie?

Mat

Yep, the pixelization at 200% magnification is gone. It feels less noisy also, but that would require more thorough testing.

Cheers,
Bernard

mjrichardson

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2014, 02:46:59 am »

Sounds good, did you like using it overall? Buying one? I think for me, it will be a natural upgrade when I need to replace what I currently have but not enough of an improvement to warrant selling to upgrade, I think because the D800 is just a fantastic camera. I'm happier spending the money on an Otus instead, I honestly think my talents are the weakest link rather than the equipment I use! All good fun.

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2014, 03:31:56 am »

Am I the only one who thinks that sRaw is worthless? When I heard about a reduced size raw file, I was thinking in something along the lines of Phase one's  Sensor +, but the way it is implemented in Nikon does not make any sense.

There is an in depth analysis of Nikon sRaw here

Having smaller raw isn't useless there are many applications where 36mp is massive overkill (weddings for one)
The problem is that Nikon didn't seem to implement something half way like a m raw 18mp setting, this would be ideal for many tasks, instead the s raw 9mp which is ok to have as an option, is a half way house and a missed opportunity.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2014, 04:47:23 am »

Sounds good, did you like using it overall? Buying one? I think for me, it will be a natural upgrade when I need to replace what I currently have but not enough of an improvement to warrant selling to upgrade, I think because the D800 is just a fantastic camera. I'm happier spending the money on an Otus instead, I honestly think my talents are the weakest link rather than the equipment I use! All good fun.

Yep, I'll get one. Need to compensate skills shortcomings with the best equipment! ;)

The value I expect to find is:
- even higher image quality at base ISO,
- improved Live view (effective today but not very sexy),
- much more discrete shooting in live view,
- hopefully a bit more consistent AF at f1.4 (it is already manageable with the D800 but a slighly higher hit ratio would be welcome),
- slightly brighter viewfinder should help with manual focus with the Otus.

I won't try to convince anyone that it makes it worth the cash.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 07:21:11 am by BernardLanguillier »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2014, 10:22:49 am »

Nice to hear!

BR Erik

Just played with a D810. The live view is probably going to meet the expectations of all.

Cheers,
Bernard

Erik Kaffehr

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2014, 10:40:20 am »

Having smaller raw isn't useless there are many applications where 36mp is massive overkill (weddings for one)
The problem is that Nikon didn't seem to implement something half way like a m raw 18mp setting, this would be ideal for many tasks, instead the s raw 9mp which is ok to have as an option, is a half way house and a missed opportunity.

The issue is not having a smaller raw, it would have been useful actually. The problem is that it is not raw at all, it should be called something like semi-jpg or unfinished-jpg. Use compressed 12 bit raw and you have real raw the same size of this whatever format.

HarperPhotos

• http://www.harperphoto.com
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2014, 05:31:16 pm »

Hello,

I will be getting one based on the points Bernard made. As a working photographer these cameras are cheap as chips compared to the money they make.

Cheers

Simon
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand

bcooter

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2014, 07:16:22 pm »

Hello,

As a working photographer these cameras are cheap as chips compared to the money they make.

Cheers

Simon

I tend to agree with you.   The standard for professional advertising work really is the 5d whatever or the d800.

I guess I only have two complaints about the 810 and that's I hate all of these incremental upgrades.   You know they test these things before they hit market and to have an iffy live view really isn't cool, but I guess we're in the 18 month upgrade cycle forever and really as you mentioned $3200 for a professional camera is less than the viewfinder on my REDs.

I also wish that when they tethered you could see the lcd.   Going back and forth to the monitor is a drag.

OK one more "wish".   I'd love it if Nikon really gave more attention to video.    A form factor of the 810 with an apsc format and a robust codec along with some form of autofocus or at least touch screen would make buying into the 800 series a snap, which kind of surprises me with Nikon as unlike Canon or Sony they have no upline video market to protect.

But you are right, the cost to earn ratio of these cameras is very high.

IMO

BC

rogan

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2014, 09:47:17 am »

Cheers,
Bernard

Bernard,
 When you hit live view is it instantly on? Also, how long is the "Black period" after taking an image. Seems like 20-30 minutes on the d800(closer to 1.5 secs) but thats a lot when shooting people.
Thanks

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2014, 10:23:43 am »

Yep, the pixelization at 200% magnification is gone. It feels less noisy also, but that would require more thorough testing.

Cheers,
Bernard

The removal of the pixelization at 200% will be great if view at 200% allows for the ability to really use the view at that level of Magnification.  I have never found the D800e or 800's 200% view much help at all. 

If Nikon found a way to reduce the LV noise also especially in low light focus, then that will be a real plus. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2014, 05:59:07 pm »

The issue is not having a smaller raw, it would have been useful actually. The problem is that it is not raw at all, it should be called something like semi-jpg or unfinished-jpg. Use compressed 12 bit raw and you have real raw the same size of this whatever format.

I'll wait for a comparison of the s raw and to see what it can do
But we had the same debate with Lossy DNG, yet I tested it out v uncompressed raw and found there to be virtually no perceptual difference in output. And I pulled those files around heavily, 5 stops at least and saw basically no difference.
I routinely now convert many files to Lossy DNG to save space and they are very satisfactory for post processing workflow, and a good alternative to jpeg...and certainly good enough for working environments too.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2014, 08:49:04 pm »

When you hit live view is it instantly on? Also, how long is the "Black period" after taking an image. Seems like 20-30 minutes on the d800(closer to 1.5 secs) but thats a lot when shooting people.

I didn't really pay too much attention to this aspect, but:
- Live view seemed to engage faster (pretty fast in fact),
- It did seem to give the hand back a bit faster, but still probably too slow. Would have to measure that one to be certain.

Cheers,
Bernard

nik

• Nick Vasilopoulos Photography
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2014, 04:31:13 am »

This is my question also to Bernard or anyone who can test it. With Canon 5D's you can tether with USB to a PC and 'live view' with HDMI to an external monitor simultaneously, you cannot with a D800.

I also wish that when they tethered you could see the lcd.   Going back and forth to the monitor is a drag.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up