Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Pentax 645Z  (Read 156094 times)

Telecaster

Re: Pentax 645Zzzzz
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2014, 05:41:45 pm »

Before that happens we are going to see a move to Full Frame 35mm size Mirrorless Camera systems. Eventually Nikon and Canon will get into the act. The Sony A7 and A7R are great first efforts. We will see better E viewfinders, AF and speed on the next gens. The Olympus OM-D E-M1 is good enough for people to forget DSLRs, but it has a smaller sensor. Make a E-M1 like body with a great Sony full frame sensor and the game will change.

Suits me okay. I love EVFs. But I know I'm probably unusual amongst the enthusiast crowd in that I don't care much about sensor size. Not that I don't care at all...but not much. I just bought a friend's Leica M8 (the 8.2 version), after some dithering over how much time & energy I want to put into yet another system, which means I now own interchangeable lens cameras using five different sensor sizes and two different aspect ratios.   :)  For me it's about the optics, and in this latest case I have a lovely set of rangefinder lenses that are clearly happier with the M8 than any other camera I own.

I've got nothing against 24x36mm sensors. But IMO the "full frame" (despise that term) push has more to do with marketing than the genuine needs of photographers.

-Dave-

bcooter

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2014, 07:20:37 pm »

Suits me okay. I love EVFs. But I know I'm probably unusual amongst the enthusiast crowd in that I don't care much about sensor size. Not that I don't care at all...but not much. I just bought a friend's Leica M8 (the 8.2 version), after some dithering over how much time & energy I want to put into yet another system, which means I now own interchangeable lens cameras using five different sensor sizes and two different aspect ratios.   :)  For me it's about the optics, and in this latest case I have a lovely set of rangefinder lenses that are clearly happier with the M8 than any other camera I own.

I've got nothing against 24x36mm sensors. But IMO the "full frame" (despise that term) push has more to do with marketing than the genuine needs of photographers.

-Dave-

Companies talk about the camera quality, the experience, or the bond, as much as you can bond with an machine.

It's all the use catch phrases, Full Frame, (what is non full frame?), megapixels, 2k, 4k, 8k.

Now the medium format guys are pushing cmos, which is funny because they spent a decade saying how their superior ccd technology produced a superior image and cmos was c__p, just like earlier large detailed lcd screens were not possible.

Lately, it's been the opposite.

I find the Pentax more alluring and also the Hasselblad H, but maybe because they are different, but what do I know, I'm still using contax and phase Plus backs and doing fine.  

I'd rather use my R1 REDS than a new Epic, (and it's not costs), just the look of the file. Though I love the Olympus and Leica because both companies have a history of unique cameras and you don't see the same CN logo everytime you walk through times square.

I do hope Sony comes out with a medium format camera, because I think the fun part is the Sony lens list.   I guess that have A, DX, FE, then meidum format lenses, probably called AXL.  (I think I have that right, but I don't have a score sheet).

That's going to be fun watching the local dealers keep up.

To me the only gripe with Sony is they are the poster child for the consumer electronic upgrade set.

How long has the A7 been out, an hour?   Now they're talking about a 4k A7, next will probably be a 2k a7 XL, then a 4k a7 XXL, then a . . .

Edmund Ronnie will be happy though, because this will probably give birth to a Casio or Samsung Medium Format Camera he can get for $600, sorry 900 euro, or 3,000 French Francs.*

IMO

BC

*Edmund,  You have been hiding all those Francs in the wine cellars of your Chateau, just waiting for France to bail on the E.U. . . . right?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 08:45:41 pm by bcooter »

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2014, 08:45:28 pm »

Edmund Ronnie will be happy though, because this will probably give birth to a Casio or Samsung Medium Format Camera he can get for $600, sorry 900 euro, or 3,000 French Francs.

IMO

BC

Eet is not the camera zat matters eet is ze vision.
Especially if she ees pretty :)

Edmund

J, they call them "Napoleons" over here, those nice yellow coins which the US government so hated. As for my Chateau, it is probably smaller than an average  Hollywood doghouse :)

« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 08:52:28 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

tsjanik

Re: Pentax 645Z
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2014, 09:16:20 pm »

So basically the new Sony CMOS 50MP chip is going into many different cameras with a wide variety of feature sets.

Sounds good to me!

Me too.  Have we become so spoiled that a camera like the 645Z get's a "Ho Hum, another 50 MP MF camera"?

markymarkrb

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2014, 10:31:15 pm »

Does anyone know who makes the digital sensors for RED cameras?  I assume they produce their own?

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2014, 01:28:34 am »

So basically the new Sony CMOS 50MP chip is going into many different cameras with a wide variety of feature sets.

Sounds good to me!

Like putting the stuff that comes in rolls in a different camera with different characteristics. . .
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

Ken R

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2014, 06:19:48 am »

Does anyone know who makes the digital sensors for RED cameras?  I assume they produce their own?

Very few people know. Check this out: http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2011/5/5/revolutionary-red-epic-camera-taken-apart-by-fcc.aspx

Red has taken great care to protect their tech.

eronald

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2014, 09:26:04 am »

Very few people know. Check this out: http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2011/5/5/revolutionary-red-epic-camera-taken-apart-by-fcc.aspx

Red has taken great care to protect their tech.

I think it might be Aptina. The fact that I don't know shows how far I'm out of touch :)
Everybody in the industry probably knows, but the supplier will be under NDA.

Edmund
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 09:29:43 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Radu Arama

Disregard photorumors.com
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2014, 08:40:04 am »

The 645Z will NOT make 4k movies, but only 4K timelapse like K-3 does. In fact the whole video side of the camera is fairly plain and very similar to K-3's video functions. What will be impressive though are what Pentax managed to extract from the sensor and for what price. Lots of other internals are just off the shelf K-3 parts.

Best regards,
Radu

Lacunapratum

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2014, 03:58:55 pm »

Well, lots of noise and rumors and then Radu comes.  Certainly mouth watering info. 

Any news on the wide angle zoom?

Tom

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2014, 09:39:20 pm »

Well, lots of noise and rumors and then Radu comes.  Certainly mouth watering info. 

Don't know if it is true, but photorumors speaks of a 8,500 US$ price point.

Cheers,
Bernard

Lacunapratum

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2014, 09:49:41 pm »

Bravo, Pentax!  ... if it's true.

hsteeves

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2014, 09:50:18 pm »

$8500?  I was prepared for $12K but $8500? 1/3 of an IQ250?  if so, somebody is making a statement.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2014, 09:56:11 pm »

$8500?  I was prepared for $12K but $8500? 1/3 of an IQ250?  if so, somebody is making a statement.

Isn't it closer to 1/4th?

Cheers,
Bernard

eronald

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2014, 10:31:23 pm »

$8500?  I was prepared for $12K but $8500? 1/3 of an IQ250?  if so, somebody is making a statement.

Yes, Phase One are making a statement. Pentax are just applying the normal prosumer camera industry pricing model.  

Edmund
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 11:26:16 pm by eronald »

Lacunapratum

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2014, 11:32:34 pm »

Looks like all of the FA lenses except the 300mm/4 will finally be offered on the US market again.  It's about time as many are as good as the digital lenses of other manufacturers.  Prices are less than their recent new developments, giving users a wide choice of lenses.  They could have done without the 45 and the 33-55, and offered the 300mm/4 instead, but otherwise it's great news as their lens range has become competitive once more. 

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2014, 01:43:39 am »

Don't forget, the Pentax 645Z will also include a state of the art camera in the price.

Best regards
Erik

Yes, Phase One are making a statement. Pentax are just applying the normal prosumer camera industry pricing model.  

Edmund
Erik Kaffehr

Radu Arama

« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2014, 04:45:05 am »

Hi Tom, hello all!

Nothing about the ultra wide zoom yet I am afraid! On the other hand the price quoted by photorumors is correct but IMO is only a reflection of the yen/USD parity compared to the 2009-2010 situation plus the fact that the price of the sensor is not paid in expensive USD to Kodak but in deprecated Yens to Sony. In fact I expect the same 850K yen retail price in Japan as for the original 645D.

Anyhow, even though the sensor is the same size as the P1 and HB I begin  to suspect that either is not the same or those companies had no clue what to do with it. Of course this will only fuel the resentment of some and encourage them to believe that the price delta is due to the fact that Pentax bought the subpar sensors! Yep, those capable of 6 figure ISO value it seems!  :D

Best regards,
Radu

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2014, 06:04:13 am »

Anyhow, even though the sensor is the same size as the P1 and HB I begin  to suspect that either is not the same or those companies had no clue what to do with it. Of course this will only fuel the resentment of some and encourage them to believe that the price delta is due to the fact that Pentax bought the subpar sensors! Yep, those capable of 6 figure ISO value it seems!  :D

Hi Radu,

This comment is a bit difficult to interpret. The first part of the sentence implies that the 645Z has better image quality than the P1/H implementations, which I would think may be the case at higher ISOs if the ISO100,000 rumours are true... but then the second part of your sentence seems to hint that the image quality may not be as good with the 645Z... ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

eronald

« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2014, 06:51:28 am »

Welcome, Pentax. We need one decently priced camera in MF, that people who need better quality can get without mortgaging their house.

Edmund
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 23   Go Up