Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 273   Go Down

Author Topic: Show us some Abstracts!  (Read 722139 times)

graeme

Re: Show us some Abstracts!
« Reply #1800 on: January 16, 2017, 05:12:27 pm »

For now, most are variations on the larger scene of the lamp seen here. I am going to try for some really close up abstracts like the alterating stripes. Should be interesting.

JR

I love this image.

John R

« Reply #1801 on: January 16, 2017, 06:34:57 pm »

Thank you Slobodan and Graeme. Me lamp thanks you too ;)

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #1802 on: January 16, 2017, 06:43:23 pm »

It looks like a fascinating series, John.
When I first saw it, it feelt to me as if your lamp was trying to steal some of the shadows from DrMike's image.

Personally, I prefer the original, with the top of the lamp showing.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

John R

« Reply #1803 on: January 17, 2017, 08:28:09 pm »

Thank you Eric.

Ring around the Rosie, to warm you up on this midwinter day. But the irony is this was taken in a cemetery.

JR

« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 03:21:26 am by John R »

John R

« Reply #1804 on: January 18, 2017, 01:47:26 am »

The Cloud Gods are watching those who critique in a mean spirited and unhelpful way! This one had one eye and mouth when I spotted him. But of course I am just kidding. I have to do something for creative competition ;)

John R

« Reply #1805 on: January 18, 2017, 09:48:55 am »

By the water's edge.

JMR
One with fast movement of camera:

One with faster movement of camera:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 02:20:16 pm by John R »

chuckn

« Reply #1806 on: January 18, 2017, 09:31:31 pm »

Train Parts

Chuck

John R

« Reply #1807 on: January 19, 2017, 05:21:32 am »

Chuck, the high contrast works for me. Good distribution of black areas. Those are truck parts for a rail car. Interesting thing is you can tilt your camera any way you want for abstracts like these. Try some where the truck parts are lined up on a diagonal. So many interesting shapes, circles, triangles, lines, etc.

JR

John R

« Reply #1808 on: January 19, 2017, 05:39:04 am »

Two in-camera double exposures slightly cropped for maximum effect.

First combines two images straight on.

Second combines a zoom with straight shot.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 09:38:19 pm by John R »

John R

« Reply #1809 on: January 20, 2017, 10:15:15 pm »

Reducing a beautiful green scene to BW is not something I usually do, but I really like how the slight movement has created little strands of light, almost like steel wool in play.

JR

« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 05:14:12 am by John R »

John R

« Reply #1810 on: January 22, 2017, 05:22:18 am »

Incongruent.

John R

« Reply #1811 on: January 22, 2017, 09:57:51 am »

Playing with shapes.

JR

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #1812 on: January 22, 2017, 10:46:25 am »

Love the first one with the light fluffy cloud drifting past a solid set of cubes. Nice conversion too, never an abstract though.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #1813 on: January 22, 2017, 06:30:03 pm »

I thought this artsy thread might benefit from some scholarly work on abstract art, Nobel-Prize level:

http://www.salon.com/2016/12/18/this-is-your-brain-on-art-a-neuroscientists-lessons-on-why-abstract-art-makes-our-brains-hurt-so-good/

donbga

« Reply #1814 on: January 22, 2017, 07:35:25 pm »

Some shadows

Mike

I like. Is okay to say that and just that?

Don Bryant

John R

« Reply #1815 on: January 22, 2017, 09:31:02 pm »

Hey Slobodan, thank you for that link. It is very interesting reading, even the comments to the articles. Beats the unfiltered chaotic and crude comments of most You Tube channels. Now I will look for the works of the artists mentioned therein.

Thanks, JR

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #1816 on: January 23, 2017, 02:28:54 am »

I like. Is okay to say that and just that?

Don Bryant

Can't see why not :)

Just because I'm a windy, pompous gasbag I don't see why everyone else should be :)

Mike

Rob C

« Reply #1817 on: January 23, 2017, 05:19:54 am »

I thought this artsy thread might benefit from some scholarly work on abstract art, Nobel-Prize level:

http://www.salon.com/2016/12/18/this-is-your-brain-on-art-a-neuroscientists-lessons-on-why-abstract-art-makes-our-brains-hurt-so-good/

Nope, I don't like this sort of stuff any more than I do the standard hype from curators and similar committted (and thus compromised) people writing on the art of photography.

The simple truth is that anyone with a minimum of writing ability can produce this sort of material. One can state any position one desires, elaborate and convince the willing about anything; it's done in politics every day, and in advertising, every second.

From my point of view, all the different types of art represent are people striving to make themselves distinct from their peers, combined with the natural, inborn inclinations towards form and presentation that lurk within them, the very things that oblige them to take to art in the first place.

References to olden times are faux: in those years art was ever commissioned, it was executed/created for the greater glory of religion and banks and the glorification of ancestry of popes and other dignitaries. Art for art's sake didn't exist. It was a commercial venture, pure and simple. Without patronage it (art and artist) could not exist.

Modern painters also have to make enough money to keep 'em alive, but once a commercial market exists within which to strive and try one's luck, the ever-present problem of standing out is instantly appreciated on both sides of the financial exchange, and so people experiment until they find a niche that pays off. That's the business of art, just as it is of photography. Those who photograph and/or paint without that commericial imperative are seldom household names, and so what they do or do not do is of relative importance to themselves alone; they do not form 'movements' nor do they create schools of visual thought and style.

For myself, I think that I increasingly find abstract paintings appealing. Why? Simply because they allow one to see something different almost all the time: they don't bore one, as would looking at the Mona Lisa ten times a day. Of course, for that to hold, one must first find an abstract piece that has instant appeal to one: if not, hatred will grow just as rapidly as regret of purchase. And I think that also applies to me with photographs, which are perhaps even more limited and constricted by their very ability to record too damned much information too well, and thus deny my own imagination the freedom to roam and extrapolate upon what's there. That's part of the fun of art: bringing your own head to it. When there's too much evidence there's not enough room for self. So then, why bother owning the thing in the first place? Just investment? A bit of reflected glory if somebody coming to visit you recognizes the creator's name?

donbga

« Reply #1818 on: January 23, 2017, 07:07:27 am »

Can't see why not :)

Just because I'm a windy, pompous gasbag I don't see why everyone else should be :)

Mike
You mean like a bloviating old fart?  ;)

Don Bryant

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #1819 on: January 23, 2017, 08:03:29 am »

You mean like a bloviating old fart?  ;)

Don Bryant

That's me :)
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 273   Go Up