Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop CC & Lightroom 5 for €9.99 per month...12 month contract.  (Read 44679 times)

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
Re: Photoshop CC & Lightroom 5 for €9.99 per month...12 month contract.
« Reply #200 on: December 23, 2013, 06:58:54 pm »

Quote from: dds on December 22, 2013, 11:46:45 PM
Adobe has extended the $9.99 a month CC & Lightroom offer until February 28, 2014 for existing Photoshop licensees. I was waiting until the end of the year to decide what to do; now I have a couple of more months....

do you have a link to this info?...i'm not seeing it on the adobe site...

thanks...

Morris, I got an email from Adobe with this offer on the 19th. It looks just like the one I got before (that ended December 31). However, in the fine print, the new email says that the offer ends Feb. 28, 2014. Interesting, no? There is a link to the "Join CC" site that seems to have a tracking number associated with it. And they also give a phone number: 800-585-0774.

--David

ok, thanks David...I wonder why it isn't on the Adobe website. And I have CS3/5/6...and I never received an email about a change to the dates...is this just Adobe being coy?...

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #201 on: December 23, 2013, 07:02:04 pm »

Because of multiple systems I have used Max compatibility mode, but yes those incompatibilities are there.  I don't find it too critical. The time you take to figure out what you did in those layers, you can recreate them, perhaps with fresh eyes to not repeat the same method.  Sometimes I think... yes I might lose some things, but how often do I want to revisit a file years back and do the same edits or tweak to it? It maybe a nice idea to revisit a file with a new approach. but to do the same isn't that important to me.
   As far as paths go, I remember Corel being superior in ways in Pathes, as it integrated with Corel Draw and has multiple import export capabilities they both use. I would look into that more if its important.  Corel has a very powerful use of paths.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #202 on: December 23, 2013, 07:15:15 pm »

Because of multiple systems I have used Max compatibility mode, but yes those incompatibilities are there.  I don't find it too critical. The time you take to figure out what you did in those layers, you can recreate them, perhaps with fresh eyes to not repeat the same method.  Sometimes I think... yes I might lose some things, but how often do I want to revisit a file years back and do the same edits or tweak to it? It maybe a nice idea to revisit a file with a new approach. but to do the same isn't that important to me.
   As far as paths go, I remember Corel being superior in ways in Pathes, as it integrated with Corel Draw and has multiple import export capabilities they both use. I would look into that more if its important.  Corel has a very powerful use of paths.

The important point is, a lot of the processing in those layers is and always will be proprietary. Let's not give the impression that you can just purchase Corel and you've got everything squared away just as you did in Photoshop. As for Paths, again, we're talking about taking legacy PS files into a new product. Doesn't matter if Corel's path's are superior, if you're migrating work from Adobe and they don't show up, that's not helpful for those of you who may have spent time building them and they dont' show up. For that matter, anything can be recreated! If the idea is starting from scratch is justification to jump from Adobe elsewhere, you all should jump ship. This is all about an exit strategy assuming you want out of the CC plan. For me, perhaps for others, just the ability to open a layered PSD but not have full editing of said layers is kind of important to make clear, don't you think? You may feel Corel has powerful PSD support, I'm pointing out, it's not as powerful as some may need and depends on what your idea of support is! I DO find that critical. Not having to suffer such limitations for the current CC monthly fee (which if you do the math, isn't necessarily more than what you'd pay to upgrade every 18 months) is something each has to evaluate. But let's not oversell Corel. There's all kinds of functionality it cannot provide on legacy Photoshop files.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Vladimirovich

« Reply #203 on: December 23, 2013, 07:54:08 pm »

But let's not oversell Corel.
why ? healthy competition drives prices down... so let us oversell then.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #204 on: December 23, 2013, 08:15:32 pm »

why ? healthy competition drives prices down... so let us oversell then.
I don't care, over selling is over selling. The text Phil wrote is not clear nor accurate. If you take it at face value, it gives the strong impression that moving from Photoshop to Corel has no implications on a workflow. It absolutely does. Now if that matters to you or not is a personal decision. But IF I spent hours building path's in my Photoshop files only to find they are now gone once I've canceled CC and purchased Corel, I'd be pissed (both at Phil but more at myself at taking such a statement at face value).
To increase competition we should ignore the facts of the implications of moving from product to product, no matter the affect on our workflow? I don't think so. IF and WHEN Corel can support all the editing I've done in my legacy files, let's talk. That isn't the case today. And as such, I don't care about competition, I care about deciding if I should stay with CC or move on. After testing Corel, despite Phil's post, it's a deal breaker. You may feel differently but hopefully you'll feel that way based on the reality of "Corel was very powerful with direct PSD support!"

Perhaps Phil makes $8.95 per hour, and recreating functionality in Corel that Photoshop lacks makes makes the $1 per hour net a good deal for him. For me (and I'll not speak for others), sticking with the full functionality of CC at it's reasonable cost per month is a no-brainer in terms of cost per benefit ratio. But that's me.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

chez

« Reply #205 on: December 23, 2013, 08:16:50 pm »

If Corel is so great...why has everyone been using PS?

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #206 on: December 23, 2013, 09:34:17 pm »

As much as I wish for some PS competition for Photoshop, at its present state Corel wouldn't satisfy most PS users.
Actually, true competitors to the PS CC are PS CS 5 and CS6, and they are pretty good.

The latest move on Adobe's part to extend the $9.99 offer for PS CC is a step in the right direction, and they should just drop the Feb 28 date and make it available at that price even after end of February. If they add in the next year some meaningful features and improvements to PS, more people might try it out.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Up