IMO this hasn't been a deliberate separation, nor is it a thoroughly complete one, but is rather a consequence of our vastly increased body of knowledge & understanding...and thus a need to specialize. A modern-day Leonardo would be compelled to focus on one of his many talents in order to master it. At the expense of the others, yes, but also likely to the benefit of the one. But I do sympathize with the desire—need even—for a simultaneous tiny detail perception and Big Picture perspective.
-Dave-
i'm caught between buying an A7 and or A7r and and A moiunt lens set vs a Leica S2. (I know different animals all together), except the Sony I'd use for stills not video and the Leica I'd use for stills since it doesn't shoot video.
The science tells me that the Sony is superior, the real world samples, build quality, tactile feel tells me to buy the Leica and most samples I've seen from the Leica are pretty, the Sony not so.
End of the day, they both costs me the same, because with the Sony I'm into a new lens set and their Zeiss A mounts aren't cheap. With the Leica they take my contax lens set and actually focus faster than on a contax.
Does it matter? yea to me. Now the real important question is does anybody have a chart they'd like to share. No photos please, I'm into charts now and of course lithium.
IMO
BC