Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Canson Infinity Platine Fibre Rag  (Read 38186 times)

narikin

Re: Canson Infinity Platine Fibre Rag
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2011, 07:26:40 pm »

Then there is the great divide between all Baryta/Fiber/RC/Foil/Film qualities set against all matte Fine Art/plain matte coated inkjet/uncoated papers if is about MK or PK. With few exceptions.

Very much agree.  It is deeply frustrating that the new Ultrasmooth Matt Papers have all the qualities I like, zero reflection/bronzing; look good from any angle; very smooth surface; can be pure cotton; can be no OBA's, but... they are Matte Black, so have poor black density, compared to a Baryta's.

Is there a reason why we can't have a PK Ultrasmooth Matt Surface?

Light Seeker

« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2011, 01:13:24 am »

Is there a reason why we can't have a PK Ultrasmooth Matt Surface?

narikin, it's all comes down to physics. The deeps blacks and vivid colours that gloss surfaces produce happen because they are efficient light reflectors. The surface is smooth, and light striking a smooth surface at 90 degrees is directly reflected back. It's coherent light. This is also why there is glare, for when you view a gloss image at an angle the light is also efficiently reflected. Well positioned lighting is critical for viewing a gloss image at it's best.

A matte surface conversely, is designed to scatter light. It's "bumpy" or irregular, and and there is less light reflected directly back, and less coherent light. That's the reason that matte black is less punchy and the colours have a smaller gamut. It's also why there is no glare, for the same light scattering properties hold true when you view the image at an angle.

Bottom line, we can't have out cake and eat it too!

Terry.

Sven W

« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2011, 05:09:26 am »

Yes, true.
And you will find the deepest black from black solid glass, with 45˚ light angel.

/Sven
Stockholm, Sweden

abiggs

• http://www.andybiggs.com
« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2011, 08:01:32 am »

There is actually much more going on, and much of ithas to do with coating technology.
Andy Biggs
[url=http://www.andybiggs.com

deanwork

« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2011, 09:17:16 am »

I just tried the Harmon Gloss Baryta on the IPF 8300 yesterday and there is no bronzing and no gloss differential. There is not even the necessity to apply a couple of coats of uv spray unless you want greater surface protection. It just works.

john

narikin

« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2011, 09:42:03 am »

I just tried the Harmon Gloss Baryta on the IPF 8300 yesterday and there is no bronzing and no gloss differential. There is not even the necessity to apply a couple of coats of uv spray unless you want greater surface protection. It just works.

Could not agree more. It works great in an 8300, but not quite so well in Epsons, due to pressure marks on the paper when the roll rests between prints. Canon does not do this.

and you are not mentioning its large Gamut and very long life in Aardenberg, excellent stability.

it has stubborn curl, that is my only criticism. Oh and it doesn't come in 60" rolls. Great Paper otherwise.

narikin

« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2011, 09:46:56 am »

narikin, it's all comes down to physics. The deeps blacks and vivid colours that gloss surfaces produce happen because they are efficient light reflectors. The surface is smooth, and light striking a smooth surface at 90 degrees is directly reflected back. It's coherent light. This is also why there is glare, for when you view a gloss image at an angle the light is also efficiently reflected. Well positioned lighting is critical for viewing a gloss image at it's best.

A matte surface conversely, is designed to scatter light. It's "bumpy" or irregular, and and there is less light reflected directly back, and less coherent light. That's the reason that matte black is less punchy and the colours have a smaller gamut. It's also why there is no glare, for the same light scattering properties hold true when you view the image at an angle.

Bottom line, we can't have out cake and eat it too!

Terry.

Damn somedays you hate science.
I want a matte cake!

deanwork

« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2011, 10:11:26 am »

When I tested the fiber gloss Harmon when it first came out a few years ago it was super glossy and looked no different than an rc plastic print so I never thought twice about it again. But they totally redesigned it and now it can pass for Ilfobrome silver paper. It is even great for very small prints which is the first I've found that was not too textured. It has the best gloss characteristics of all the fiber gloss papers I've used with the Z3100 also, but if you look closely there is a tiny bit of bronzing than can give you a rainbow effect. But the Canon is perfect. This is the very first time I've been totally happy with these kinds of papers with pigments. I have to say I haven't tested the Platine yet with this printer but have seen it from an Epson 9880 and the Z and there were still some slight issues, but it's a nice paper.

j

narikin

« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2011, 10:47:42 am »

When I tested the fiber gloss Harmon when it first came out a few years ago it was super glossy and looked no different than an rc plastic print so I never thought twice about it again. But they totally redesigned it and now it can pass for Ilfobrome silver paper. It is even great for very small prints which is the first I've found that was not too textured. It has the best gloss characteristics of all the fiber gloss papers I've used with the Z3100 also, but if you look closely there is a tiny bit of bronzing than can give you a rainbow effect. But the Canon is perfect. This is the very first time I've been totally happy with these kinds of papers with pigments. I have to say I haven't tested the Platine yet with this printer but have seen it from an Epson 9880 and the Z and there were still some slight issues, but it's a nice paper.

Agree.

IMHO - Harman Gloss Baryta (ex FBAL) has the true air-dried low gloss surface out there - no stipple - works well at angles and in small prints. I wish for the love of god that Canson had copied that surface with Platine.

Similar great surfaces are Epson Exhibition Fiber, (aka Innova IFA49 Fibaprint UltraSmooth) where they got it dead right too, BUT... filled the things with bad OBA's so it has terrible longevity. Avoid.

Light Seeker

« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2011, 03:00:56 pm »

I want a matte cake!

For many years I had matte cake, but the gloss cake has been getting better and better.   ;)

Terry.

Light Seeker

« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2011, 03:07:50 pm »

IMHO - Harman Gloss Baryta (ex FBAL) has the true air-dried low gloss surface out there - no stipple - works well at angles and in small prints. I wish for the love of god that Canson had copied that surface with Platine.

I like that Platine has a bit of texture, but I have also been enjoying the smooth surface of Epson Exhibition Fiber (but not the OBA's). The old Harman had a pretty delicate surface. How is Harman Gloss Baryta in that regard?

Terry.

deanwork

« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2011, 09:59:11 pm »

Greatly improved. The original Harmon was the only paper that I ever had roller marks on the Z with. None of that with the Z or the Canon on this Gloss Baryta. Can't comment on the Epsons. They also offer a warmer version that is perfect for those warm toned gloss prints that mimic Portriga. They deserve an award for nailing both of these. I'm standardizing on this as my only fiber gloss media from now on. Damn it's about time. I've wasted thousands on all these others over the years with mediocre results at best for black and white.

j

Light Seeker

« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2011, 06:34:32 pm »

I'm standardizing on this as my only fiber gloss media from now on. Damn it's about time. I've wasted thousands on all these others over the years with mediocre results at best for black and white.

John. . . .  what media setting have you settled on for the 8300 and the Harman paper? I'm going to pick up some sheets to try.

Are you as happy with the warmtone version as you are with the regular one?

Thanks.

Terry.

narikin

« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2011, 04:25:18 pm »

They deserve an award for nailing both of these. I'm standardizing on this as my only fiber gloss media from now on. Damn it's about time. I've wasted thousands on all these others over the years with mediocre results at best for black and white.
j

They got an award: 

http://harman.hahnemuehle.com/news/en/822/398/harman-by-hahnemuehle-series-honoured-as-world-best-fine-art-inkjet-paper-by-tipa.html

and well deserved too imho

henrikolsen

« Reply #74 on: October 11, 2017, 11:03:06 am »

Similar great surfaces are Epson Exhibition Fiber, (aka Innova IFA49 Fibaprint UltraSmooth) where they got it dead right too, BUT... filled the things with bad OBA's so it has terrible longevity. Avoid.

The IFA49, and the other weight variants of it, does that have the same benefits of greatly reduced or missing gloss differential and bronzing as the Harman Gloss Baryta, now taken over by Hahnemühle?

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #75 on: October 11, 2017, 03:11:35 pm »

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #76 on: October 11, 2017, 04:46:29 pm »

...Damn it's about time. I've wasted thousands on all these others over the years with mediocre results at best for black and white.
j
How about Photo Rag® Baryta for BW  ?

like that a lot on my Z3100
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

narikin

« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2017, 11:25:00 am »

This is a really old thread (2011!) reactivated, so its no surprise that that link is now broken

Harman Baryta remains an excellent paper, many people put it #1. It does really well on Aardenberg readings, despite having some OBA  in there. go figure. One issue is it has a truly overpowering curl on it in roll form. Really difficult to work with. Wish they could fix that for people who print big...

Cut sheet is of course not a problem.

mearussi

« Reply #78 on: October 12, 2017, 06:16:48 pm »

This is a really old thread (2011!) reactivated, so its no surprise that that link is now broken

Harman Baryta remains an excellent paper, many people put it #1. It does really well on Aardenberg readings, despite having some OBA  in there. go figure. One issue is it has a truly overpowering curl on it in roll form. Really difficult to work with. Wish they could fix that for people who print big...

Cut sheet is of course not a problem.
Unless you leave an opened box out for a long time in a humid room--you'd be surprised what will curl after a while (I was--I buy a lot of sample packs and don't always use up all the sheets).

Paper curl along with an easily scratched surface are the two main reasons I don't like to print using Barytas. I've using the Canson Platine as the best substitute so far, but a Canson tech rep I know said their new paper has improved both of those problems: 

http://www.canson-infinity.com/en/products/baryta-prestige

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQVWB6l6Jko

I sent off for a sample roll so I'll see, but I'm hoping he's correct.

narikin

« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2017, 09:48:01 am »

Well, don't believe the hype.

Baryta Prestige has some OBAs in it, for starters. That is not a deal breaker for everyone, but its not a great sign.

Harman Baryta is a rarity with some OBAs, but still good longevity. Very few papers achieve this, maybe this is one, maybe not.
I'll stick to Platine till the longevity test results are in.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up