Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One IQ digital backs w/ retina type multi touch screen + USB 3.0  (Read 101753 times)

ChristopherBarrett

Re: Phase One IQ digital backs w/ retina type multi touch screen + USB 3.0
« Reply #180 on: January 30, 2011, 07:44:59 pm »

I get it, yeah, 40 grand is a big pile of cash.  But this gear is clearly aimed at two markets.  The first and likely largest group is the affluent hobbyist photographer, the second is the high end professional.  If you're in the first group, you could care less about the cost.  If you're in the second group the price shouldn't be a huge deal.  I've owned my P65+ about a year and a half.  In that time it has paid for itself as well as the IQ180 upgrade in capture fees.  It's all just numbers.  If you're business model works with this, then cool.  If not, use something else and move on.

CB

BlasR

• http://BMRWorldPhotos.com
« Reply #181 on: January 30, 2011, 08:29:23 pm »

how much is Hasseblad hd -60?  the real price.

I was Phase customer until they start hatting me because of my English I guess, no one answer my question in help me with my problems.  So here come Hasselblad, 99.99% want to help me, small, or big  problem,
right away resolved (priceless).  Now I like what phase doing giving you money for used back..but they have camera like hasselblad?. I am so far behind the I just enjoy what I have.  you got it HD4-60..

I hate I paid $500.00 plus for c1 in now I need to pay more to upgrade.  Phocus is free but they upgrade in the 3 or 4 Q of what year?  A list is free.  Oh well stop complaining enjoy what you have. couples from my hd4-60
BlasR
  [url=http://www.BMRWORLDPHOTOS.CO

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #182 on: January 30, 2011, 10:38:22 pm »

how much is Hasseblad hd -60?  the real price.

I was Phase customer until they start hatting me because of my English I guess, no one answer my question in help me with my problems.  So here come Hasselblad, 99.99% want to help me, small, or big  problem,
right away resolved (priceless).  Now I like what phase doing giving you money for used back..but they have camera like hasselblad?. I am so far behind the I just enjoy what I have.  you got it HD4-60..

I hate I paid $500.00 plus for c1 in now I need to pay more to upgrade.  Phocus is free but they upgrade in the 3 or 4 Q of what year?  A list is free.  Oh well stop complaining enjoy what you have. couples from my hd4-60

Phase One relies mostly on its dealers to provide support. So if you had problems and didn't get help please refer to your dealer and not "Phase One" that didn't help. In fact as I recall I pitched in on more than one occasion to point you in the right direction.

Capture One for use with your digital back is 100% free and requires no registration, activation, or license. Only if you want to use it with dSLRs does it ever cost money - and then it does native tethering to nikon/canon, native processing with it's own engine and all adjustments of a wide variety of dSLR and point and shoots.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

bcooter

« Reply #183 on: January 30, 2011, 11:15:05 pm »

I get it, yeah, 40 grand is a big pile of cash.  But this gear is clearly aimed at two markets.  The first and likely largest group is the affluent hobbyist photographer, the second is the high end professional.  If you're in the first group, you could care less about the cost.  If you're in the second group the price shouldn't be a huge deal.  I've owned my P65+ about a year and a half.  In that time it has paid for itself as well as the IQ180 upgrade in capture fees.  It's all just numbers.  If you're business model works with this, then cool.  If not, use something else and move on.

CB

Everyone works in a different style and business model.  Our studios line item everything, but in the last few years the only line item that matters is the bottom line, so what we add to a project in terms of equipment is either for personal satisfaction or whatever is specific to the project.

Now I'm not against 80mpx, don't even know what that looks like, but I would be falling in the floor heart pounding astounded if any client in any situation, could tell the difference between 40 and 80 mpx.

Maybe the CIA or the Copy Art crowd could, but even then it would take a magnifying glass on a 100% crop.

I think most of the reason anyone buys the 80mpx back is to say they have the highest resolving back in the world.  Maybe in some instances that works for sales, or on the shelf in the study, but in what I do, they wouldn't ask.

In fact the only camera I think anyone will notice on set, (other than a movie camera) is that chrome, stainless steel hasselblad.  I think it's bloody beautiful and the only issue I have is why didn't hasselblad make them all that way from the start?

Man a case with two of those bodies would be like opening up that glowing briefcase in pulp fiction. 

IMO

BC

BJNY

« Reply #184 on: January 31, 2011, 02:55:32 am »

In fact the only camera I think anyone will notice on set, (other than a movie camera) is that chrome, stainless steel hasselblad.  I think it's bloody beautiful and the only issue I have is why didn't hasselblad make them all that way from the start?

Agree 100%
Guillermo

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #185 on: January 31, 2011, 04:31:42 am »

Because if you are working outdoors in bright sunshine the reflections and glare can be quite killing. It's not so bad these days, with auto-everything, but trying to set my old manual silver lenses can be a real pain sometimes in the summer.

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #186 on: February 01, 2011, 02:48:39 am »

no post

BJNY

« Reply #187 on: February 03, 2011, 05:31:23 pm »

Doug,
Has Denmark given you an idea how reliable/robust USB 3.0 will be?
And, how fast compared to FW800? 
Guillermo

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #188 on: February 03, 2011, 05:56:29 pm »

Isn't that a bit like asking a movie producer how successful a movie will be before it's released?  ;D

Once release we'll test the crap out of it and only then would I feel comfortable answering that question.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

bcooter

« Reply #189 on: February 03, 2011, 06:05:13 pm »

Isn't that a bit like asking a movie producer how successful a movie will be before it's released?  ;D

No I think this is like asking a Movie producer a technical questions, like, will the movie be released in 2d or 3d or both.

What Billy asked was the performance of usb 3.0 and I'm sure he asked this because a lot of people wonder if  firewire is going away, or if 3.0 is a better option than firewire.

Maybe the question should be why did Phase implement usb 3.0?

IMO

BC

Jack Varney

• http://
« Reply #190 on: February 03, 2011, 09:18:27 pm »

"Maybe the question should be why did Phase implement usb 3.0?"

Gosh, you don't supose it might be to make large tethered image transfers faster do you?

USB 3.0 is rated at 4.8Gb/sec. That is ten times the rate of USB 2.0, assuming the spec is realized in practice, and should be a significant advantage.
Jack Varney

photo570

• http://www.shoot.co.nz
« Reply #191 on: February 03, 2011, 09:51:14 pm »

The rating for USB 3.0 of 4.8Gb/sec is theoretical!!! The protocol is the same, so if you overtax your machine by running a heavy application, like say C1 for example, will it all grind to a screeching halt like it does now with USB 2.0? The link below puts it quite succinctly. I also asked this of a Phase rep today, who was visiting my city, doing the rounds with the IQ180, which is very nice, by the way. He was not really in a position to say, although he acknowledged that it could be an issue under heavy use, but he had not tested it personally, and I should probably just stick with Firewire, kind of if it ain't broke don't fix it type of deal.

Jason.

http://www.captureintegration.com/2010/07/01/firewire-vs-usb/

Gosh, you don't supose it might be to make large tethered image transfers faster do you?

USB 3.0 is rated at 4.8Gb/sec. That is ten times the rate of USB 2.0, assuming the spec is realized in practice, and should be a significant advantage.
Jason Berge
www.shoot.co.nz

TMARK

« Reply #192 on: February 03, 2011, 10:06:33 pm »

I think the nuance in the question is about the future of firewire and USB 3.0, and what led Phase to put 3.0 in the IQ series.

michael

« Reply #193 on: February 03, 2011, 10:20:47 pm »

The take-up on USB 3 seems to be slow, so it's difficult to know which machines will support it and when.

In a way it's inclusion in the IQ backs is a bit of future-proofing, but it's too early to say how it's all going to work out.

As I wrote in my review – I'd be hard pressed at the moment to find a computer to test it with.

We'll just have to see how it all evolves.

Michael

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #194 on: February 03, 2011, 10:49:20 pm »

Considering you can't even test it on a Mac, it's completely theoretical, except for on a PC. There is very little real world data on the actual throughput that I've been able to find. But certainly USB 2 on spec was supposed to be faster than firewire 400, but it was not. I see it as -  if USB 3 somehow overcomes USB 2's real world handicaps, then it looks promising. Worst case, it is at least a hedge against the possible elimination of firewire from the Mac platform, as well as providing another option to tether instead of the poor firewire 800 connection. Just the fact USB 3 is in there makes me feel firewire ports are likely doomed in upcoming Macs.

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

bcooter

« Reply #195 on: February 04, 2011, 12:58:06 am »

The take-up on USB 3 seems to be slow, so it's difficult to know which machines will support it and when.

In a way it's inclusion in the IQ backs is a bit of future-proofing, but it's too early to say how it's all going to work out.

As I wrote in my review – I'd be hard pressed at the moment to find a computer to test it with.

We'll just have to see how it all evolves.

Michael

There are a lot of firewire macs out there and even if they went away tomorrow, a quick look around would probably buy you all the used and refurbished firewire computers you could use for a lifetime.

Heck, I even have two old Legacy White 24" I macs that will tether my p30+ with C-1 and the Canons with DPP as well as anything I could ask for.  The newer I macs which still have at least one fw port are even faster still.

In fact I've kept a 17" powerbook for backup with the 400 and 800 fw ports  we use for capture all the time, powering a newer Apple lcd monitor with no issues.

So, I think by the time firewire moves on, (if it does) we'll probably be into a whole different set and type of cameras anyway and that could be a long time from now.

Really the only issue is not the cameras it's the software and the os system that runs it.  If software gets to the point it requires the next os system probably call spotted cat,  or whatever is next on Apple's list of animals, then there may be a problem if it doesn't run on legacy machines.

Phase has been good with making their software backwards compatible with their legacy backs, Canon does the same, so if this policy doesn't change, for tethering we're ok.

IMO

BC

Gary Ferguson

« Reply #196 on: February 04, 2011, 09:39:06 am »

Just got back from looking at the IQ180 at one of the London demos. Now I've got a dillema and I'd appreciate any thoughts or comments,

1. I'd be interested in trading up my P65+ for the IQ180 chiefly because of the better screen and the quasi live view function, and the potential improvement that could make with a technical camera. The standard I'm looking forward is to effectively be able to operate without fresnel screen, magnifying hood, or rapid change slide. In other words using quasi live view for composition, focusing, and camera movement adjustments.

2. There's a useful trade up deal that runs until the end of March offering 65% off. Furthermore Phase are offering a 90% refund on the purchase price if at any time within 18 months of purchase there's a further material upgrade.

3. The demo IQ180 doesn't yet have the live view functionality, and there's no guarantee it'll be available to evaluate before the trade up deals expires at the end of March. Not ideal but Phase have always been honest brokers and I'm sure I could negotiate my way around that one.

4. But the real complexity is that all the well informed opinion I consult says Phase are actively working on a medium format CMOS chip. The key reason is for movie capability (and there are some clues to this direction both in the IQ180 viewing screen ratio and the funcionality of Capture One 6.1), but if they launch a CMOS chip it'll likely have live view, not quasi live view, but live view live view!

I'd be happy to pay for the upgrade and then take the 90% rebate in say 12-18 months and move to the next CMOS version back. But I wouldn't be happy to pay for the upgrade and then find that in 18 months and one day Phase launch the next back!

Any suggestions?

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #197 on: February 04, 2011, 09:55:11 am »

Well tough one but you buy for today hoping tomorrow it will all work out. No crystal ball but even if they are working on CMOS we may not see it for awhile since the life on the IQ is at least a 2 year cycle one would assume. I tested the IQ 180 along with others and in all honesty I see Live view as a nice additional feature not a primary function of the back. With the 100-400 zoom and double tap features plus with the addition of focus mask this alone is a pretty powerful tool. In all honesty if Live view had any edge over the other features and that would be framing. Other than framing the other tools will get the job done very well but you may have to think more polaroid style. Take a shot and adjust, which we all do anyway to a certain degree especially folks shooting tech cams. But even with the Live view coming if you can at least frame with it than I think many would be happy. Now I should add personally I think Live view is nice but I never used it when I shot a Nikon with it. Really depends on need here but I will say the other features on the IQ make life a whole lot better with viewing and confirming what you are doing. That got me very excited about the product when testing it and maybe the best thing we have seen to date. Everything was fast and very precise on the LCD, histo and highlight tools. Even when testing it a lot of functions where not ready to try and i still liked it as is. Looking forward to testing it again with final production unit but I am certainly putting a order in for it. I really liked the tech part as I feel it can really help you as a shooter make better judgements on what you are getting and it also to me will free your brain to let you work on what is in front of you than playing a guessing game with the gear. It will come down to what you find most important in the style you shoot.
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

issa

« Reply #198 on: February 04, 2011, 10:33:21 am »

I am in the same dilema, I am 5x4 user and love the view camera. Have been waiting until a digital back appears with some kind of live view, to help with focus and framing. If phase One do pull this ouit with 2/3 frames per secons Quai live View, I think it good enough to frame and compose. Naturally if it had 100 live view is abonus, but not at the expense of quality.

I think over the next few years we will see view camera users opring for these backs, providing some can afford the, and which i am sure will become more affordbale over time.

Once my supply of frozen Quickloads is exhaused will review the situation and most likely take the plunge for Db but not IQ180.
Issa

Beds, UK

Gary Ferguson

« Reply #199 on: February 04, 2011, 10:45:29 am »

Guy, thanks for your comments. I've posted before on digital backs and technical cameras, but essentially I believe (after several years of various Phase One backs on a Linhof M679cs) that it's an uncomfortable and compromised arrangement at best. However live view could make a major improvement. The questions though remain,

1. How "live" is the IQ180's live view?
2. Will it be decisively trumped by their next CMOS based chip?
3. Will that happen within their 18 month "future proofing" 90% discount deal?

The more I chew this one over the more it feels like if live view is what I really want, then I may be better waiting for a CMOS solution.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up