Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One IQ digital backs w/ retina type multi touch screen + USB 3.0  (Read 101740 times)

BJNY

Details at http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/phase_one_iq180_announced.shtml

http://www.phaseone.com/~/media/Phase%20One/Press%20releases/PressRelease_Phase_One_IQ-series.ashx

Copenhagen, January 24, 2011 — Phase One, the world’s leading pro photography equipment provider, today announced a bold new generation of medium format digital camera backs. The Phase One IQ180, IQ160 and IQ140 digital camera backs feature maximum resolutions of 80, 60.5 and 40 high quality megapixels respectively. This series sets new standards for medium format camera system handling and performance.

The Phase One IQ180 captures at full-frame 80 megapixel resolution, with a dynamic range of 12.5 f-stops. It is the first product of its kind to feature a USB3 connection, facilitating faster image transfers in the future. The IQ180 also features a FireWire 800 connection, ensuring the fastest tethered capture speeds possible today. For untethered shooting, the IQ180 digital back’s new memory card interface is so fast that it eliminates buffering delays, supporting continuous shooting until a card is filled.

“I am amazed by the image quality I’ve gotten ‘out of the box’ with the Phase One IQ180 on the Phase One 645DF camera. I can create images with more detail and unique looks than with any other camera out there. It helps me develop styles unique to me,” said lifestyle photographer Jens Honoré. (website: http://www.jenshonore.com/)

A newly-designed 3.2 inch retina type, multi touch screen features 1.15 megapixel resolution, providing the highest resolution and largest display of any SLR type camera available today. This means that very fine details can be checked instantly during a photo shoot -- for instance using Phase One’s unique Focus Mask and the instant zoom function. The automatic adjustment of brightness and contrast ensures that the display is visible under various light conditions.

Context-sensitive controls, such as the instant zoom function, allow a photographer to zoom into an image using one finger only. Small histograms and highlight warnings can be enlarged to full screen view by a simple touch. The new Focus Mask available during preview helps validate depth-of-field and image focus. The wide format display allows for a full 4:3 aspect ratio VGA resolution image next to histogram, highlight warning, focus mask, EXIF data, and touch controls.  This touch screen display is complemented by Phase One’s intuitive 4-button navigation.

“The new high-resolution multi touch screen with its intuitive controls is a perfect tool for checking image quality right at the moment of capture. With this display quality, I can leave my laptop at home, and ultimately this makes my work easier,” said architectural photographer, Eugeni Pons. (website: http://www.eugeni-pons.com/)
Phase One’s patent-pending Sensor+ technology, built into the Phase One IQ180, supports a variety of shooting conditions. One can capture images with full 80 megapixels resolution or, using Sensor+ mode, switch instantly to capture images with 20 megapixels resolution at 4 times higher sensitivity, up to ISO 3200. This flexibility is very useful under low light conditions; there is no need to slow down to change cameras, and there’s no crop or lens factor. One gets the maximum wide-angle performance from the existing lens, higher ISO levels, and a faster workflow.

According to fashion photographer Stefan Kapfer, “The new IQ180 suits my work very well. I can use the full 80 megapixel resolution for my high end fashion shots, and the 20 megapixel images I get from the Sensor+ technology give me a faster workflow when I do work for catalogue production. It’s really two perfect solutions in one system.” (website: http://www.stefankapfer.de/)

Compatibility is improved between the IQ digital backs and the Phase One 645DF camera body. The power state of the digital back can now be controlled directly from the 645DF camera. An integrated battery charger ensures that the battery is charged while one is shooting tethered, offering more shooting versatility.

Capture One 6
Capture One 6 has been optimized for shooting with Phase One IQ digital backs. Together with the IQ series backs this professional RAW converter and image editing software will deliver the world’s highest image quality with excellent color and detail.  The software comprises all the tools required to capture, organize, edit, share and print images for an efficient workflow.

Reliability and Service
Pro photographers can rely on Phase One IQ digital backs to get their jobs done. Their highly durable build quality is designed and tested to work in the toughest environments, including extreme heat, cold and humidity.

All Phase One products represent long-term investment value with superior service. For professionals, this protection is priceless, especially when shooting in unfamiliar situations and locations around the world.

Various service levels are available for Phase One IQ digital backs. For example, a value-added option includes a life-time (5 year) warranty, a free loaner unit during repair and other options. Phase One offers 365 days round the clock support delivered on-line and backed up by dedicated partners and a global support team.

For a complete list of all the new Phase One IQ digital back features, including supported camera bodies, please see www.phaseone.com/iq

Availability and Pricing
The Phase One IQ180 is expected to be available end of April 2011. The Phase One IQ160 and IQ140 are expected to be available end of May 2011. The products may be ordered now through Phase One professional photography partners worldwide: www.phaseone.com/partners

Prices for new digital backs start at 16.990 EUR / 21.990 USD. Attractive upgrade offers are available for all existing Phase One photographers.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 06:35:06 am by BJNY »
Guillermo

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: Phase One IQ digital backs
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 09:55:41 pm »

Details at http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/phase_one_iq180_announced.shtml

There is a news embargo until 6am EST. Therefore I cannot comment yet. Suffice it to say Capture Integration will be all over this. We've worked very hard to have lots of information and answers to all your questions.

This is the most significant advancement in medium format I've ever seen.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 11:01:28 pm by dougpetersonci »

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 10:09:30 pm »

We are adhering to the same news embargo at GetDPI as well. This data should not be out in public until the embargo is over.
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

PaulSchneider

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 10:13:13 pm »

Doug, I have a question, maybe you might clarify the differences since your selling both the aptus and the phase one backs ... what's the relationship between the two now?

People who bought the aptus 12 now have bought a clearly inferior product? ... This  is annoying since I just ordered an aptus 12. ... Is aptus sort of a budget line now? Who wants a 80 MPX back with a low-res screen, no weather sealing, lumping battery on the bottom when one can have a Phase One IQ 180?

Just asking,

Paul

Rudy Torres

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 10:22:54 pm »

Don't try to diffuse a bomb that has already gone off.
Wow. Forty Thousand Dollars.
Did you all see that video about a guy in Colorado who paid his Fourteen Thousand dollar college tuition for one semester in one dollar bills.
It was a lot of money on the cashier's table.

Wow. Forty Thousand Dollars.

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 10:25:00 pm »

Doug, I have a question, maybe you might clarify the differences since your selling both the aptus and the phase one backs ... what's the relationship between the two now?

People who bought the aptus 12 now have bought a clearly inferior product? ... This  is annoying since I just ordered an aptus 12. ... Is aptus sort of a budget line now? Who wants a 80 MPX back with a low-res screen, no weather sealing, lumping battery on the bottom when one can have a Phase One IQ 180?

Just asking,

Paul

The IQ180 will cost quite a bit more than the Aptus-II 12. The extra cost will be the price of admission for everything but the sensor. Bear in mind also, that the Aptus-II 12 does offer some unique features of its own, like the internal rotating sensor of the R series, for example. The Phase One P+ digital backs aren't going away either - they remain as current products, simply at a lower price point and lacking the advanced features of the IQ series, yet utilizing (at least) two of the same sensors (and several others like the 39MP P45+ and 31MP P30+).

Not everyone buys the most expensive products on the market. This provides a range of products that cover a variety of price points, but offer superior image quality over the entire range.

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

PaulSchneider

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 10:29:31 pm »

Steve, oh, I didn't see that, it costs 10k more ... price discrimination, remember that from economics class ... mhhh so there will be a p80+ in the price range of the aptus?

But the sensors are the same, thus noise and dynamic range characteristics?¨

Thanks for your clarifications,

Paul

Rudy Torres

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 10:36:22 pm »

What else could you buy.

Steve Hendrix

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 10:39:57 pm »

Steve, oh, I didn't see that, it costs 10k more ... price discrimination, remember that from economics class ... mhhh so there will be a p80+ in the price range of the aptus?

But the sensors are the same, thus noise and dynamic range characteristics?¨

Thanks for your clarifications,

Paul

Paul -

I don't know that there will be a P80+ produced. But I suspect not and that the IQ180 will be the only available version for a Phase One 80MP product. I would expect native noise and dynamic range to be similar to the Aptus-II 12, though considering the differences in the environmental components of each product, some subtle differences could exist.

***Despite the information on the IQ series being posted on Luminous Landscape in advance of the embargo expiration, since we have been under this embargo this weekend and are supposed to honor it until 6AM EST tomorrow morning (and the fact I am quite weary and heading to bed), I am not going to post any further until after that time has passed.

See you all then!

Steve Hendrix
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 10:45:22 pm by Steve Hendrix »

michael

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 10:50:23 pm »

Please note – I broke no embargo.

I was told by Phase One's CEO in a telephone call last week that it would be OK to post on Sunday evening my time.

Michael

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 10:58:06 pm »

I was told by Phase One's CEO in a telephone call last week that it would be OK to post on Sunday evening my time.

Michael

No disrespect was intended. All Phase One Partners/Dealers were told that the embargo-time was 6am EST or noon Danish time on Monday. That is the only information I had regarding the timing of public release of the info.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 11:00:38 pm by dougpetersonci »

Steve Hendrix

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 10:59:07 pm »

Michael

And I did not state that an embargo was broken here either (and Michael, I realize you are not directly responding to me), I only noted that the information was posted in advance of the embargo expiration, and that despite that, I would not be posting further until the embargo does expire (as we were instructed).

Steve Hendrix

michael

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 11:10:02 pm »

Steve and Doug.

Understood. If I had been aware that there was a 6am embargo I of course would have honoured it.

As it was, during the conference call I asked when the release date was and was told the 24th. I was also told that I could publish the night before, my time, and that was that.

Sorry to have pissed in everyone's pool. That was not my intent.

Regards,

Michael

jduncan

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 11:10:15 pm »

This look great. I was expecting it from the mail about the great Phase one event.  Phase one continues to invest in fundamental technology and design. I believe Hasselblad have prove to be too conservative to get the leadership they hope to get when they closed the H system. I hope next move from phase will be related to cameras.
It is interesting how clean was the movement from Kodak to Leaf sensors for phase one users, in contrast to Hasselblad users. Great news. Lest hope the price is not too high for the entry and medium offerings. But even if priced at a premium there is little reason not to believe that this will be (if they work as expected) the top of the line backs in the market.
Note to new comers on the MF market: Phase is not going without a mighty fight, they understand that for wining you need to invest.
Post data: They are simple beautiful, still the stainless steel h4d-40 is even more beautiful but that's beside the point.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 11:13:14 pm by jduncan »
english is not my first language, an I k

bcooter

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 01:51:15 am »

We are adhering to the same news embargo at GetDPI as well. This data should not be out in public until the embargo is over.

I dig this embargo stuff.

This isn't wikileaks and classified documents, it's just a camera back.

Everybody has probably heard phase is gonna have a new back with a better lcd and probably some kind of touch screen since they acquired Leaf and Leaf has had touch screen forever.

As far as 80mpx, what would a medium format camera announcement be if there wasn't more megapixels?

You can't get within 4 blocks of a camera dealer without a wink-wink guess what I heard comment, so  . . .

I understand corporate proprietary information and I've signed a lot of contracts for a lot of projects and lived them to the letter,  but a new camera back with more pixels?

That's kind of like saying that Apple is gonna come out with a new I-phone someday.

IMO

BC

DeeJay

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 02:21:43 am »

Oh dear...it looks like the Leaf back.

It's really quite dire when a company buys out it's only real competition.

skimasks

• http://www.justinpoulsen.com
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2011, 02:53:46 am »

I want to see some elephants step on this.
- Klyment Tan

klane

• I live in a c-stand fort.
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2011, 04:23:11 am »

I kinda liked the old screen better.  ;D

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2011, 04:29:15 am »

well, i think this is great news. sounds like a better screen than i was expecting and having usb3 is future proofing.
even the weather sealing is a surprise, as a user that killed a p25 with a splash of salt water, this is also great. i hope it works.

i really dont need 80mp, but the 20mp senor plus is cool. pity its a bit slow. my p40+ shoots with senor plus at a couple of frames per second.

paul
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

amsp

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2011, 04:44:40 am »

Nice, exactly the kind of evolution I was expecting and then some. Now I just hope they release an equally evolved revision of the camera.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Up