Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: C1 USERS  (Read 34823 times)

nilo

Re: C1 USERS
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2010, 10:15:59 am »

Well i can live you all a some gerat News. After Talking to the Phase Support and giving them Access to all of my Information they Provider me with a New beta which was developed to handle Memory Terrors under Windows 7 in 64 Bit Better.

I can say they did a Perfect Job. So far after two weeks not a Single crash. I can also say that the system is MUCH faster than my quad core with 8gb of ram. It's now amazing to be able to actually work at many things at thebsame time and don't get any hangups at all.

I can only say fantastic work by phase one. 

I also run the 5.1.2 BETA "out of memory fix" since a few weeks. It's finally stable an seams to address a few issues at once. I just technically don't understand how it can be that there are PCs with WIN 7/64 with C1 5.1..2 that do not need this fix???

nino

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2010, 11:36:33 am »

Glad to here! 

Does that mean when I setup my volunteer cpu processing farm across the globe I should be covered ?  :-P
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

nilo

« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2010, 05:14:45 pm »

Glad to here! 

Does that mean when I setup my volunteer cpu processing farm across the globe I should be covered ?  :-P

at least covered from perpetual crashes. Thats something  ;)

gullevek

• http://flickr.com/photos/gullevek/
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2010, 06:10:40 am »

why don't you? Hide viewer and tools so that the main application window only consists of the browser. Move it to the second monitor and scale the window to the desired dimensions.
Create a set of floating tools (you can also group them) on the second monitor.
Open the second viewer (menu "window"->"viewer") and place it on you first monitor.
Safe this as a workspace.
Done.

While this works, I don't understand why you just can't move the browser to the second monitor like in C1 v3. Why? There can't be a single reason why you can't add it to the second window in the second monitor ...

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2010, 01:44:22 pm »

While this works, I don't understand why you just can't move the browser to the second monitor like in C1 v3. Why? There can't be a single reason why you can't add it to the second window in the second monitor ...

Would there be any difference in the end result??

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2010, 02:48:30 pm »

when working with multiple applications, it is nice for the foundation of functions to be somewhat alike. and switching around with apps, and having hang ups does toss a wrench in the process sometimes. Specially a simple screen drag. I am looking from his point of view...As I tossed LR off my system just for the way it creates / handles folders and needs a database to work on files.

tho_mas

« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2010, 06:13:33 am »

While this works, I don't understand why you just can't move the browser to the second monitor like in C1 v3. Why?
who cares? As long as you can set the desired layout (actually with one single command from the "window" menu) everything is fine... IMO.

coxyuk

« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2010, 02:28:07 am »

I love the way the C1 works with my dual monitor set-up.  I have the browser and tools on the iMac screen and the viewer on my Spectraview screen (usually in portait mode).  By far the best dual screen mode I've used.

As I understand it C1 is now a series of programs working together, I'd like to see the addition of approved third party programs / plugins such as Alien Skin Exposure or similar.  That and a tone curve that only affects luminance would pretty much eliminate my need for PS although some localised adjustments would be good too.

fredjeang

« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2010, 12:15:00 pm »

I find that it's very easy to forget to activate (or desactivate) the focus done in C1 when export. This is not a problem of course because it's kept but I found myself many times when swich to PS that I forgot to quit desactivate focus (just below scale).

Also, something that is anoying is that C1 does not come back to "fit the screen" automatically when changing picture but stays in the previous magnification. (Phocus yes do that by its own :P) Is there a way to do that permanently?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 12:37:29 pm by fredjeang »

Doug Peterson

« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2010, 06:02:12 pm »

Also, something that is anoying is that C1 does not come back to "fit the screen" automatically when changing picture but stays in the previous magnification. (Phocus yes do that by its own :P) Is there a way to do that permanently?

Funny how user preferences differ! I find this enormously helpful actually - when changing images it sticks to the same spot and magnification - also when you select additional images (e.g. 4-up display) the newly selected images show the same magnification. When editing down from multiple similar images this is a huge time saver (at least in my workflow).

Neither of us are "right" or "wrong" but we both clearly have different preferences. If you want the next image to jump back to "zoom to fit" then it must be terribly annoying for C1 to hold the same spot/magnification!

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One at 10% off

fredjeang

« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2010, 05:54:42 am »

Funny how user preferences differ! I find this enormously helpful actually - when changing images it sticks to the same spot and magnification - also when you select additional images (e.g. 4-up display) the newly selected images show the same magnification. When editing down from multiple similar images this is a huge time saver (at least in my workflow).

Neither of us are "right" or "wrong" but we both clearly have different preferences. If you want the next image to jump back to "zoom to fit" then it must be terribly annoying for C1 to hold the same spot/magnification!

Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Absolutly Doug. There is also a sense to keep the magnification. My point was that it would be good if that could be decided in preference settings, so depending on the needs, it would work the same way for the same session.

Justin_Russell

• http://
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2010, 02:46:13 pm »

I'm jumping in here a bit late but I've been running into continued slowness since upgrading from C1 3.7.x. Currently we have a few machines still on 3.7.x for processing here at the studio but have upgraded many of the other MP towers to 5.2. All are on SL 10.6.3 or higher with no less then 6GB RAM and plenty of HD space. Also no machines are slower then 2.66GHz multi procs.

The issue....
When connecting to the XServe (running SL) C1Pro 4,5,6 tap at least 1 or the 12 cores and the app slows to a crawl. The folders we're trying to view have 100+ .tifs or raws in them. Version 4 was really bad, 5 a bit better and now 6 seems to be worse. I won't allow them to use C1Pro 5 when viewing from the server due to the possibility of overwhelming it to the point of a crash. The more users that log on the more cores get tapped. Like I said 5 is better then 4. At least with 5 you can have the server mounted. With 4, it immediately started indexing folders/files and pegged more then one core with just one user.

Has anybody come across slowness when working from of an XServe before? We've addressed this issue with Phase and Apple before and things never progressed.

Any feedback would be helpful.

Thanks all!
------------------
Justin Russell
Mac Support Technician
Kohl's Corporation

Doug Peterson

« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2010, 03:03:27 pm »

I'm jumping in here a bit late but I've been running into continued slowness since upgrading from C1 3.7.x. Currently we have a few machines still on 3.7.x for processing here at the studio but have upgraded many of the other MP towers to 5.2. All are on SL 10.6.3 or higher with no less then 6GB RAM and plenty of HD space. Also no machines are slower then 2.66GHz multi procs.

The issue....
When connecting to the XServe (running SL) C1Pro 4,5,6 tap at least 1 or the 12 cores and the app slows to a crawl. The folders we're trying to view have 100+ .tifs or raws in them. Version 4 was really bad, 5 a bit better and now 6 seems to be worse. I won't allow them to use C1Pro 5 when viewing from the server due to the possibility of overwhelming it to the point of a crash. The more users that log on the more cores get tapped. Like I said 5 is better then 4. At least with 5 you can have the server mounted. With 4, it immediately started indexing folders/files and pegged more then one core with just one user.

Has anybody come across slowness when working from of an XServe before? We've addressed this issue with Phase and Apple before and things never progressed.

Version 4/5/6 all interact with server based access differently than version 3 did (which was effectively an entirely different program). Networking to an XServe is not a consumer level application of the software - you'll need someone with strong knowledge of networking protocols, network optimization, and have them work with Phase One using their support case system to ensure your network is ideally set up for access across a network. Or you can switch to a access-local+archive-on-network method which is much more conducive to almost all modern software packages.

I know the Head of Technical Support is a networking guru with certifications and real world experience, so your support case will "progress" if you provide the information they ask for and implement any tests/suggestions they give you.

Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2011, 01:19:42 pm »

I just wanted to give some feedback to all those that replied to this post in helping me and others discover different options for my workflow.

Its been sometime since this post, and after going through some web courses and training myself more for C1, and an upgrade to 6x, it is much nicer to work with.
 I enjoy using it much more than before..But, I still find it sluggish, loading the folder mainly. Also some small things that just gets me impatient; for example, I select a preset style, it gets blurry then ads the preset and sharpens,etc, little things.  There are far many things I like about C1, and IF I were to be in a battle between LightRoom and C1, I don't think I would bother with LR. I have purchased and upgraded LR every time there is a revise, and I uninstall it all times so far.  I still use Adobe Raw/Photshop's raw converter for most of my work.  It is only limited for me by the # of files it loads(about 30).  I wish I could change the background color on it and of course other things with the interface would help, but really, everything is fast and control is very good for common daily shoots. I love C1 for not forcing a "Session" workflow, it is 1 thing LR failed at from the get go for me. 

Hope to hear more feedback and how others are handling things.

fredjeang

« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2011, 06:35:16 pm »

Beleive it or not, but I had not use the latest C1 version until yesterday...(was doing motion and quite away from stills)

Well, I must congrat Phase One.

This is a very responsive software, way faster than the prev. I really like the way it renders the skins, makes the workflow much easier, great render right-out-the-box, the best I've seen in any raw dev, good controls inteligently implemented, faster to render 16bits tiffs than any other software I used so far and not one crash or freeze in intensive.

A much more matured version, I can say that I haven't found any downside to underline.

This is serious and professional.

Well done!!

ps: I'm not a brand addict, but when a company does the homeworks, I applaude.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 06:46:00 pm by fredjeang »

ixania2

« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2011, 07:42:16 pm »

Beleive it or not, but I had not use the latest C1 version until yesterday...(was doing motion and quite away from stills)

Well, I must congrat Phase One.

This is a very responsive software, way faster than the prev. I really like the way it renders the skins, makes the workflow much easier, great render right-out-the-box, the best I've seen in any raw dev,
Develop the same raw in raw photo processor and c1, then tell me about skin rendering... Or white balance. Only in direct comparision you will see how yellow skin tones of c1 are. You then can adjust them to rpp. But thats time consuming...

fredjeang

« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2011, 08:07:48 pm »

Develop the same raw in raw photo processor and c1, then tell me about skin rendering... Or white balance. Only in direct comparision you will see how yellow skin tones of c1 are. You then can adjust them to rpp. But thats time consuming...

Can't check RPP because it's been some time now I switched to PC, although I still have some older Macs, I hardly use them. I don't exprience this yellow issue on the skin tones at all, at least not with the canons.
Actually there are different pre-settings for skin tones, and got an overall response more on the reds. The fact to be able to view in linear is also important for my needs. To me, it's the best raw dev I've been using so far, but each person has its own perception, priorities and needs, and they can differ. I'm happy that RPP works for you.

Doug Peterson

« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2011, 07:23:55 pm »

Skin tone in any of the raw processing software often varies based on camera, ISO, lighting conditions etc.

They are also subjective.

Sounds like you've found RPP to produce the skintones you find most pleasing for your camera. IMO others should take it as a lesson primarily that it's worth checking out several processors to find the one you find most pleasing (and efficient workflow wise) for your needs.

Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Masters Series Workshop:
New England Landscape - Fall Color (Oct 5-8)
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up