Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: C1 USERS  (Read 34827 times)

fredjeang

C1 USERS
« on: June 06, 2010, 01:36:05 pm »

Hi,

I don't know if it would be good to do a special C1 users thread to write and group our whishes for futures versions, in a same area so it is easy to see them all. This could be interesting for Capture develloppers etc...
Please, if you feel like you can add yours here.

Who knows, maybe Capture members will read that thread and will take into account some ideas.

------------------------------------

Here is my first Capture wish.

-I would like to see a background switcher directly on the working area. Next to the loader could be a good place as there is a lot of free room.
When working on a image, for certain applications and to be visually aware of a colour behaviour next to others that would be helpfull.
This switcher would display the basics grey from B to W and some different color spaces panels. A written indication of the current in use would be displayed.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 01:38:34 pm by fredjeang »

James R

C1 USERS
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 04:38:42 pm »

Quote from: fredjeang
Hi,

I don't know if it would be good to do a special C1 users thread to write and group our whishes for futures versions, in a same area so it is easy to see them all. This could be interesting for Capture develloppers etc...
Please, if you feel like you can add yours here.

Who knows, maybe Capture members will read that thread and will take into account some ideas.

------------------------------------

Here is my first Capture wish.

-I would like to see a background switcher directly on the working area. Next to the loader could be a good place as there is a lot of free room.
When working on a image, for certain applications and to be visually aware of a colour behaviour next to others that would be helpfull.
This switcher would display the basics grey from B to W and some different color spaces panels. A written indication of the current in use would be displayed.

Cheers.

Sending ideas directly to Phase One is probably the best way to influence their development concepts.  I'm not certain a tool for changing background color will ring their bell; but, they allow Command + " ," to bring up the preference box, so, why not allow us to edit keyboard shortcuts to control some of those preferences, such as background color.

Phil Indeblanc

C1 USERS
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 12:23:10 am »

I would love to know when I am supposed to look at my focus image.

Sometimes its fast, most times depending on workload you can never tell which image I have sharp in what area of the subject.  I little orange indicator would solve this.  

Also, when new captures are being taken while some are being edited in the same folder, I wish there was a REFRESH so the new images show up(I would think its just me who can't find it?)

Other than that, I wish it was a bit faster focusing, and loading the files, and everytime you "touch"/Edit the file its as if everything is slow.
...It would be nice to get the view criteria right as a default for sorting.

SPEED, thats the bottom line, SPEED!...and some indications. :-)

I just got LR3, and I still like C1. maybe its just that I am used to it, but I actual "feel" I get more 3D, and sharp files out of C1...I know, I know...thats why I said feel...so either its metal or there is a difference as I have not done any tests, but yet to get the SHARP 3D feel I get from C1....just my overall impression.  Besides,I can't understand or get around the LAME database import add shmad! WETF it is...  The file is in the folder written from camera/captuer...READ IT..if you can't do what you need in the background, and pertend while I see it, and edit it!

Capture One guys...If your listening...Here is another one that might be best for ease of use.

I would love to be able to move the "browser window" off the lower panel and onto another monitor as I use 2x 30", and any shooter will like have a large screen or 2 screens.
Even better, I would love for the program to take on the Modern approach. It would have the core Browser and edit window, then all else is an add-on.

I don't mean visually as you can have this to some extend as the GUI, but as a program so it can be faster, so it doesn't have all this weight...I know, maybe not possible...BUT, if you did...WOW!  Think of it as a marketing stand point, if you come up with something super brilliant, you can add it (not plug in, but module set) for $29.99. (Free for me of course).

So this is my workflow...

-Get all files into C1...then realize this is too slow to load 60 files.
-Switch to ACDSee Pro to view(It only sees the tif preview, no prob).  so then while C1 is loading, I kinda get an idea which files/angles I like.
-See if C1 is done. Sort by name.
-select and process maybe 7 to 12 files in max TIF16bit
-open files in CS5 edit, and save.
-back to ACDSEEPro3 to batch convert to Jpeg client previews with data ripped out and new info added into new folders and email off, and can FTP via ACDSeePro3

(I use a quad i7 3.4ghz with 8gb ram). Files are on Intel SSE4x servers in Raid5 for protection/mirrored.
I usually have ACDSee Pro3 open, C1, CS5ext, Acrobat, InDesign. I close the last 2 as much as possible.
The second system has all emailing, Acrobat, IExplorer, EFI RIP to print. audio/mp3 playing). Another system is dedicated to capture.  I mention these in case there is a obvious bottle neck some can pinpoint.

Anyone have a "better" approach?

I prefer using different programs to manage and edit images...I prefer programs doing what they are designed and taking the weight off its main task.

Bridge is slow and way limited compared to ACDSee Pro3, LR3 is also doing way to much in one prog, and has I have not understood the dbase BS.

What do you do, and is it fast?

Cheers!
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

tho_mas

C1 USERS
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 06:32:56 am »

Quote from: Phil Indeblanc
I would love to be able to move the "browser window" off the lower panel and onto another monitor as I use 2x 30"
why don't you? Hide viewer and tools so that the main application window only consists of the browser. Move it to the second monitor and scale the window to the desired dimensions.
Create a set of floating tools (you can also group them) on the second monitor.
Open the second viewer (menu "window"->"viewer") and place it on you first monitor.
Safe this as a workspace.
Done.

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
C1 USERS
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 08:47:35 am »

I would like the high ISO NR to be updated to be at least as good as that of LR3/ACR6.1.  I consider the current implementation to be broken, even compared to C1 v3.7.x — and LR/ACR put it to shame.

Nill

Phil Indeblanc

C1 USERS
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 05:52:13 pm »

Quote from: tho_mas
why don't you? Hide viewer and tools so that the main application window only consists of the browser. Move it to the second monitor and scale the window to the desired dimensions.
Create a set of floating tools (you can also group them) on the second monitor.
Open the second viewer (menu "window"->"viewer") and place it on you first monitor.
Safe this as a workspace.
Done.

Had not thought of that. I didn't realize you can have another viewer.  I like that idea. I will give it a shot.. thanks

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
C1 USERS
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 11:44:36 pm »

Had not thought of that. I didn't realize you can have another viewer.  I like that idea. I will give it a shot.. thanks

You can even save different workspaces as a preference and call them up for different purposes.  For example I have my main editing workspace arrangement saved, and then a "light table" arrangement with a smaller focus window and larger browser with larger previews for my first round "ranking" editing.
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

Nick Rains

• http://www.nickrains.com
C1 USERS
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 12:27:30 am »

How about local adjustments? I really miss my grads from LR3.
Nick Rains
Australian Photographer Leica

Phil Indeblanc

C1 USERS
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 12:36:55 am »

Quote from: Jack Flesher
You can even save different workspaces as a preference and call them up for different purposes.  For example I have my main editing workspace arrangement saved, and then a "light table" arrangement with a smaller focus window and larger browser with larger previews for my first round "ranking" editing.

It is frustrating to figure out what/when something is in focus, and I think this is one of the biggest issues for me(maybe speed another). I can't imagine a P65 user!?

So I am always on the lookout for an improvement from C1 or open to try something else.  I loved the 3.7 speed and simplicity, and STILL use it for Capture, as all the 5.1 bloating is completely unnecessary for captuer.  Files get captured to a folder on server using 3.78, and then for 5.1 to convert/process.

Yes, 5.1 has lots of great things that make you want it as the only raw converter/processor...Just a struggle with the pros/little but very important cons of it.  I hope soon I see a a speed jump in seeing 100% focus, and knowing when to judge a file for focus.

Phil Indeblanc

C1 USERS
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 12:45:46 am »

Quote from: Nick Rains
How about local adjustments? I really miss my grads from LR3.

Those I consider "plugins" or something on that level, as an extra feature ..nice bonus, but thats what I like PS+plugs for.

I think the type of photography we do has LOTS to do with how a converter suites our needs. and something like landscape(LL appropriently so), one type of shooting that doesnt require much Photoshop use and you'd want to do those things within a raw converter, but I would think many shooters...anyone taking it to Photoshop will make those tweaks in editing.  

When you are working for a client vs your own artistic vision, on the former I keep the raw conversion a true to capture seperate and make adjustments in PS. but of course you may prefer just the other way around, or not even deal with PS.  For example, a car photographer, I would think would hardly find "in raw grads" or adjustments THAT useful when the file will get PS treatments. Thats the case for me when I do product.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 12:46:53 am by Phil Indeblanc »

Nick Rains

C1 USERS
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 01:55:07 am »

Sure, there is nothing in local adjustments that you cannot do in PS, but having those tools acting on the raw data and within the raw software is just so convenient. I prefer not to go to PS if I can avoid it and in many cases LRs tools get me most of the way to where I want an image to be. If C1 had local adjustments it would be a better tool.

You asked for suggestions to improve it, well that would improve it for me. Sometime it's not all about the pure quality, I can go to Raw Developer for that, it's about workflow and C1 is still slightly lacking in this area IMHO.

Those I consider "plugins" or something on that level, as an extra feature ..nice bonus, but thats what I like PS+plugs for.

I think the type of photography we do has LOTS to do with how a converter suites our needs. and something like landscape(LL appropriently so), one type of shooting that doesnt require much Photoshop use and you'd want to do those things within a raw converter, but I would think many shooters...anyone taking it to Photoshop will make those tweaks in editing.  

When you are working for a client vs your own artistic vision, on the former I keep the raw conversion a true to capture seperate and make adjustments in PS. but of course you may prefer just the other way around, or not even deal with PS.  For example, a car photographer, I would think would hardly find "in raw grads" or adjustments THAT useful when the file will get PS treatments. Thats the case for me when I do product.
Nick Rains

Phil Indeblanc

C1 USERS
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 02:36:38 am »

Quote from: Nick Rains
Sure, there is nothing in local adjustments that you cannot do in PS, but having those tools acting on the raw data and within the raw software is just so convenient. I prefer not to go to PS if I can avoid it and in many cases LRs tools get me most of the way to where I want an image to be. If C1 had local adjustments it would be a better tool.

You asked for suggestions to improve it, well that would improve it for me. Sometime it's not all about the pure quality, I can go to Raw Developer for that, it's about workflow and C1 is still slightly lacking in this area IMHO.

Absolutely, we all have are specific needs :-)  
So I take it the focus is not a issue for you?

fyi.....
I also agree that the workflow is a bit different in C1 and takes getting used to some commands.  I imagine many people don't have time to learn a new way of a program.
I think many people who are fluent and understand Windows Explorer would have some hurdles....such as myself. But in C1, they are not so major, just some shortcuts, and knowing to name a project(still getting used to it).....  it has the little tree with all the file structure like explorer at least,.

With LR3....wow...I have to learn a entire new way a computer handles files.  I did it a couple times, but when working in a Windows environment so regularly...everytime I need to process when LR is new to me....Its like learning to ride a bike all over again.  So when you have more than LR, specially C1...You just close LR and work in C1.
Thats how it is for me.  I doubt many working pros can devote much time and effort when the job is gotta get done to learn and REMEMEBER how a database, or what ever it is LR wants to do to the files before hand in order to make adjustments.  I know, I sound impatient...and likely am a bit.  but I did the steps it gives with color coded panels a couple times, and then a few days passed before needing to process....then ...Arrfgh, back to C1, as I forgot the stuff I did in LR!

I wonder how Mac folks deal with it?  Maybe I should dust off my beautiful looking G5.....nahh

Nick Rains

C1 USERS
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 02:45:29 am »

When you say 'focus' do you mean that overlay that shows which bits are sharp?

If so, it's certainly cool, but not as useful as I expected and it's awfully slow to display the thumbs when you turn it on, and that's on a quad core PC.

C1 on a Mac is fine, I use it on both platforms, no worries there.

I guess C1 is a raw processor with some aspirations to be a full DAM with it's sessions concept. LR is the same but with a far better, but still limited, DAM facility. Although, having said that, there is a surprising amount of power under the hood and the versatility of smart collections is not to be underestimated.

I don't really want to get into a comparison of the two, they are both excellent apps. If you are used to C1 then LR is a strange country, and the reverse is true too.

Absolutely, we all have are specific needs :-)  
So I take it the focus is not a issue for you?

fyi.....
I also agree that the workflow is a bit different in C1 and takes getting used to some commands.  I imagine many people don't have time to learn a new way of a program.
I think many people who are fluent and understand Windows Explorer would have some hurdles....such as myself. But in C1, they are not so major, just some shortcuts, and knowing to name a project(still getting used to it).....  it has the little tree with all the file structure like explorer at least,.

With LR3....wow...I have to learn a entire new way a computer handles files.  I did it a couple times, but when working in a Windows environment so regularly...everytime I need to process when LR is new to me....Its like learning to ride a bike all over again.  So when you have more than LR, specially C1...You just close LR and work in C1.
Thats how it is for me.  I doubt many working pros can devote much time and effort when the job is gotta get done to learn and REMEMEBER how a database, or what ever it is LR wants to do to the files before hand in order to make adjustments.  I know, I sound impatient...and likely am a bit.  but I did the steps it gives with color coded panels a couple times, and then a few days passed before needing to process....then ...Arrfgh, back to C1, as I forgot the stuff I did in LR!

I wonder how Mac folks deal with it?  Maybe I should dust off my beautiful looking G5.....nahh
Nick Rains

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
C1 USERS
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2010, 09:45:01 am »

It is frustrating to figure out what/when something is in focus, and I think this is one of the biggest issues for me(maybe speed another). I can't imagine a P65 user!?

Precisely why I have a half-screen focus window PLUS a half screen browser window side-by-side as my "light table" arrangement for the initial edits .  Then once ranked, I switch to my "normal" layout which is a full screen preview window, tools on the left,  single-column browser on the right, and 5 focus windows pre-opened on monitor 2...
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

Phil Indeblanc

C1 USERS
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2010, 11:41:15 am »

Its the first thing I think any of us at least when doing product....(OK maybe me and a few others..really?) is to select images that are sharp. The only way I know how to do that, like Jack is mentioning is opening a Focus window.  

Imagine you have 5 poses of a model, and each has 10-20 frames.  You want to get the one with the sharpest eyes, or shoulder, or what ever....you need to go through 100 files to select the ones focused in the area you need.....Who doesn't do this?  And what is it you do?  Doing this is the most painful for me.  This is with the p25 files....I can't imagine the trouble doing P65 files.

And yes...Nick, like you said..Its slow!, me too a quad 3.4+ghz with 8GB ram.  On top of that, there is no indication of knowing when C1 has rendered that file in focus in the window.
At least in 3.7 while it was rendering you can tell rather accurately if something was going to show up focus after selecting and waiting a few seconds, by seeing "crunchy" pixels vs soft pixels.  Now its a bit blurry and then after a bit, or when whenever its sharply ready to preview.

craigwashburn

C1 USERS
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 11:50:54 pm »

Its the first thing I think any of us at least when doing product....(OK maybe me and a few others..really?) is to select images that are sharp. The only way I know how to do that, like Jack is mentioning is opening a Focus window.  

Imagine you have 5 poses of a model, and each has 10-20 frames.  You want to get the one with the sharpest eyes, or shoulder, or what ever....you need to go through 100 files to select the ones focused in the area you need.....Who doesn't do this?  And what is it you do?  Doing this is the most painful for me.  This is with the p25 files....I can't imagine the trouble doing P65 files.

And yes...Nick, like you said..Its slow!, me too a quad 3.4+ghz with 8GB ram.  On top of that, there is no indication of knowing when C1 has rendered that file in focus in the window.
At least in 3.7 while it was rendering you can tell rather accurately if something was going to show up focus after selecting and waiting a few seconds, by seeing "crunchy" pixels vs soft pixels.  Now its a bit blurry and then after a bit, or when whenever its sharply ready to preview.

Use focus mask.  One of the more useful inventions in recent versions.  Puts a nice green mark over whatever is sharpest in previews and thumbs.  Works pretty fast here... saves hours

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
C1 USERS
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2010, 06:18:49 am »

A capture One Version, which actually runs on a modern windows Workstation. A Version which does not crash every 30 seconds because it has to many resource available.... That would be all.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

fredjeang

C1 USERS
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2010, 07:39:13 am »

Quote from: Christopher
A capture One Version, which actually runs on a modern windows Workstation. A Version which does not crash every 30 seconds because it has to many resource available.... That would be all.
Following your idea, why shouldn't we have the possibility to lauch C1 in different configurations where the program would load strictly the necessary ressources for the task in question,
instead of using all the full potential for tasks that require much less.

So we would have a pre selection panel like: thether task, files management, full edition etc...and the C1 would just use the ressources necessary for each task.

Phil Indeblanc

C1 USERS
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2010, 01:02:24 pm »

Quote from: fredjeang
Following your idea, why shouldn't we have the possibility to lauch C1 in different configurations where the program would load strictly the necessary ressources for the task in question,
instead of using all the full potential for tasks that require much less.

So we would have a pre selection panel like: thether task, files management, full edition etc...and the C1 would just use the ressources necessary for each task.

I know I wrote and rambled a bit...but its all substance :-)

"Even better, I would love for the program to take on the Modern approach. It would have the core Browser and edit window, then all else is an add-on.

I don't mean visually as you can have this to some extend as the GUI, but as a program so it can be faster, so it doesn't have all this weight...I know, maybe not possible...BUT, if you did...WOW!
"

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
C1 USERS
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2010, 07:30:06 pm »

I know I wrote and rambled a bit...but its all substance :-)

"Even better, I would love for the program to take on the Modern approach. It would have the core Browser and edit window, then all else is an add-on.

I don't mean visually as you can have this to some extend as the GUI, but as a program so it can be faster, so it doesn't have all this weight...I know, maybe not possible...BUT, if you did...WOW!
"

I don't Need it faster, just stable. . . . . . .
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up