Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: PA241W and Spectraview II  (Read 89240 times)

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Re: PA241W and Spectraview II
« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2010, 01:54:44 pm »

Everyone can buy any goods from US via brokers.

Thanks for that. I've never come across these services before.

WombatHorror

« Reply #81 on: August 16, 2010, 12:59:57 am »

MultiProfiler will generate a profile for native gamut (page 25 of the manual). If you've got more confidence in using a puck and it delivers better results, use it.

oops that is correct

(which also brings one to the point that if you do alter the sRGB locations for a MP mode then you should make sure that color-managed stuff such as firefox doesn't use the profile from MP otherwise it see the profile listing shifted sRGB primaries when they are, at least according to probe, not actually shifted)

TimBarker

• http://tbarker.net
« Reply #82 on: August 16, 2010, 07:23:53 am »

The new NEC models look to be outstanding monitors ... if you get a good one.

NB. I edited out the parenthesis about uniformity with my PA271W as discussions with the supplier are ongoing. I don't think the model should be tarnished by my sole experience with what is increasingly looking like rough handling in shipping.

explain...  I'm in the market for a new screen and its between the NEC PA271W and Eizo CG243W.
Tim Barker (aka MandoTiM in other forums),
Rank Amateur.

Uses Nikon D200 or Sony Ixus110is
with post-processing on an ASUS P6T and i7-920 with
6Gb RAM, 1.5Tb discs, NEC PA271, Gigabyte 9600, Canon 9000Pro,
using Win7-64, CS4 et al.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #83 on: August 16, 2010, 07:36:50 am »

explain...  I'm in the market for a new screen and its between the NEC PA271W and Eizo CG243W.

There were some quality issues with early NEC x90 series displays, but the new PA seem to be playing in a different league. If I had to choose between CG243W and PA271W I wouldn't even hesitate - the PA271W with it's reasonable size and huge 2540x1440px resolution is much more convinient than 24" Eizo, and quality-wise it's at least as good as CG (if not even better)
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

TimBarker

« Reply #84 on: August 16, 2010, 08:23:56 am »

Thanks, I'm in the market but won't buy until I see/handle one.  For some reason nobody in Sydney seems to sell NEC with the nearest obvious retailer in Melbourne whilst Eizo couldn't be more helpful.
Rank Amateur.

gromit

« Reply #85 on: August 16, 2010, 05:26:56 pm »

What attracted me to the PA271W over the CG243W (and PA241W) is its finer dot pitch resulting in smoother display of images. The MultiProfiler facility as it turns out is a real bonus. The CG243W is probably a better size monitor, unless you're mainly working on panos or need to do side-by-side comparisons (which I rarely do). Eizo's gamma 2.2 factory calibration is useless to me as I use L*. They both have CCFL backlights and are probably last in line with this clunker technology. The Quato 240 LED is also worth considering but more expensive still ... I haven't seen one.

I have some issues with uniformity on my PA271W, exacerbated by the fact that I drive mine at the bottom end of the luminance range. Investigations are ongoing as to whether it is or isn't in spec, was affected by rough handing in shipping etc.

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #86 on: August 16, 2010, 06:33:09 pm »

On the PA series monitors is there any difference between using an optional USB connection to the display for communicating, instead of using DDC/CI when it is supported by the video card?

Doyle

WombatHorror

« Reply #87 on: August 17, 2010, 02:42:28 am »

What attracted me to the PA271W over the CG243W (and PA241W) is its finer dot pitch resulting in smoother display of images. The MultiProfiler facility as it turns out is a real bonus. The CG243W is probably a better size monitor, unless you're mainly working on panos or need to do side-by-side comparisons (which I rarely do). Eizo's gamma 2.2 factory calibration is useless to me as I use L*. They both have CCFL backlights and are probably last in line with this clunker technology. The Quato 240 LED is also worth considering but more expensive still ... I haven't seen one.

I have some issues with uniformity on my PA271W, exacerbated by the fact that I drive mine at the bottom end of the luminance range. Investigations are ongoing as to whether it is or isn't in spec, was affected by rough handing in shipping etc.

are you talking back light leakage?

clouding on 10-35% level solid color screens?

tinting differences?

luminance differences?

0-10% level IPS white glow?

WombatHorror

« Reply #88 on: August 17, 2010, 02:43:13 am »

On the PA series monitors is there any difference between using an optional USB connection to the display for communicating, instead of using DDC/CI when it is supported by the video card?

Doyle

I don't think so. I'm mostly using the USB.

sicofante

« Reply #89 on: August 17, 2010, 03:54:09 am »

Everyone can buy any goods from US via brokers. There are some
http://www.oneusaaddress.com/
http://www.anythingfromamerica.com/

I've bought SVII's and NEC colorimeters via such broker.
Will you get a Worldwide warranty if you purchase the full kit? If not, how do you handle the American warranty from Europe?

gromit

« Reply #90 on: August 17, 2010, 04:29:21 am »

luminance differences?

Side to side luminance difference. It's not bad but doesn't tally with the SpectraView certification report. Anyway, it's going to be looked at. In all other respects it's a killer monitor ... the best I've owned.

probep

« Reply #91 on: August 17, 2010, 05:18:01 am »

Will you get a Worldwide warranty if you purchase the full kit?
No, of course.
If not, how do you handle the American warranty from Europe?
It depends on the broker. Each broker has its own policy.
For example http://www.westernbid.com/english_pr.htm

sicofante

« Reply #92 on: August 17, 2010, 07:44:00 am »

No, of course.
Well, it wouldn't be so rare. There are many manufacturers who offer world wide warranty on all of their products, and there are also MACK warranties. So I guess that's what we Europeans would need to find: some retailer willing to ship the SVII-PRO-KIT to Europe with a MACK warranty. The quest begins! :)

It depends on the broker. Each broker has its own policy.
For example http://www.westernbid.com/english_pr.htm
Thanks, but that's not nearly enough. I expect any such business to provide some warranty regarding their shipping or a DOA status, but that wasn't my point.

TimBarker

« Reply #93 on: August 17, 2010, 08:14:34 am »

thanks, understand.  It was these issues I was interested in, are NEC consistent or are you paying more for consistentcy with the Eizo.  Interestingly the demo I had with the CG241 & CG243 showed the 243 to have some uniformity issues on plain greys but it was only when you saw it on a completely plain grey screen that it was noticeable.  I was assured that the screen would be a replacement issue as the 241 appeared perfectly uniform (to my eyes).
Rank Amateur.

WombatHorror

« Reply #94 on: August 17, 2010, 11:10:35 pm »

Side to side luminance difference. It's not bad but doesn't tally with the SpectraView certification report. Anyway, it's going to be looked at. In all other respects it's a killer monitor ... the best I've owned.

I take you got one of the special European spectraview quality certified ones then?

Anyway is the side to side luminance difference still bothersome even with Comp on say level 4?

I don't really see any that appear to test much better on prad.de compared to mine at comp 4. The numbers I measured seemed, at comp 4, a lot more even for luminance than most, close ballpark to the EIzo Coloredge data they took and noticeably better than their Eizo flexscan measurements.

First copy had a horrible backlight bleed upper left, it seemed like it was just up along the edge but it actually subtly spread across the entire screen and it measured noticeably higher black points and lower contrast ratios. Second had more side to side brightness differences though. I also peeked at a third, less side to side when at comp 0-2 but not quite as even at comp 4 and it had some faint cloud sort of bands when looking at solid colors around 15-40% brightness so overall I decided the second copy was the best. Without the nasty bleed across the screen that killed the black levels the first copy would've been best, no clouds and quite even looking even by comp 1.

Second one has a trace of upper left backlight bleed but it's pretty faint and doesn't wash out black levels, they measure at least as good as the numbers I see on any test sites. On comp 4 my screen looks very even whether I display a solid screen of 40%, 80% or 100% gray/white. It would be nicer if it didn't have the side to side at lower comp levels, but even by level 3 it's already better than any monitor without a compensation function and at level 0 it's not really any worse than any typical run of the mill monitor.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 11:16:13 pm by LarryBaum »

WombatHorror

« Reply #95 on: August 17, 2010, 11:11:55 pm »

Well, it wouldn't be so rare. There are many manufacturers who offer world wide warranty on all of their products, and there are also MACK warranties. So I guess that's what we Europeans would need to find: some retailer willing to ship the SVII-PRO-KIT to Europe with a MACK warranty. The quest begins! :)
Thanks, but that's not nearly enough. I expect any such business to provide some warranty regarding their shipping or a DOA status, but that wasn't my point.

Why not just get the regular version of the monitor in Europe and then order just the probe+software kit through the broker?
The monitor is where the warranty really matters.

sicofante

« Reply #96 on: August 18, 2010, 05:49:05 am »

Why not just get the regular version of the monitor in Europe and then order just the probe+software kit through the broker?
The monitor is where the warranty really matters.
Of course I'm getting the monitor in Europe. I don't understand why it's OK to buy the probe without a warranty (???).

WombatHorror

« Reply #97 on: August 18, 2010, 03:24:42 pm »

Of course I'm getting the monitor in Europe. I don't understand why it's OK to buy the probe without a warranty (???).

When is the last time you've heard of a probe breaking within the first year?
I mean I can hardly guarantee it won't happen, but I believe it to be a very, very rare occurrence.

Even in the extremely unlikely case it did break within a year and you had to buy a new one you'd still be out less than the European Spectraview price.

nilo

« Reply #98 on: August 18, 2010, 03:46:49 pm »

When is the last time you've heard of a probe breaking within the first year?
I mean I can hardly guarantee it won't happen, but I believe it to be a very, very rare occurrence.

Even in the extremely unlikely case it did break within a year and you had to buy a new one you'd still be out less than the European Spectraview price.

That's exactly what I did, a European PA with SVII kit from B&H, where you don't need any broker for direct cheap and quick UPS worldwide saver delivery. BTW all the probes I own, are from there. None had any issue till now, it's just that the standard i1D2 does not work for wide gamut monitors at all, but that's not under warranty.

regards
nino

nilo

« Reply #99 on: August 18, 2010, 03:55:21 pm »

That's exactly what I did, a European PA with SVII kit from B&H, where you don't need any broker for direct cheap and quick UPS worldwide saver delivery. BTW all the probes I own, are from there. None had any issue till now, it's just that the standard i1D2 does not work for wide gamut monitors at all, but that's not under warranty.

regards
nino

there is one thing I forgot to mention: I am not located in Europe either! They don't sell the new NEC models everywhere yet, and I wanted the latest and best, so I just brought it over by plane. And even when they do sell them here eventually, they sell them with astronomical and ridiculous margins (For some companies up to four times US prices!).
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up