Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: PA241W and Spectraview II  (Read 89239 times)

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
PA241W and Spectraview II
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2010, 04:02:58 am »

Quote from: RickBerger
According to tftcentral, the PA231W will be 75% of AdobeRGB ... is that correct or did they get it wrong?

I'd really prefer a standard gamut display.  I'm still concerned that the colorimetric distance between any two colors is much larger on a wide gamut display.  Does a 10-bit panel give me better emulation of sRGB even if I'm not using a 10-bit application?  Why would the PA231W emulate sRGB better than an LCD2690WUXI?  I'd love it if someone could explain this.

I don't know about gamut volume of PA231W, but PA241W has 14bit 3D LUT, that allows you to calibrate the gamut. In former displays like 2690WUXi2 you only could calibrate RGB gain value, here you can also calibrate RGB chromacity coordinates - so you can have precise, high quality sRGB simulation. In fact you can even change the shape of the displays gamut, so not only it simulates simple matrix RGB profiles, but also more complex LUT RGB profiles, like the color space of the printer.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

DavidBreslauer

« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2010, 04:27:41 pm »

My faithful original 23-inch cinema display finally needed to go. After much research, and agonizing, I selected the LaCie 724 and their calibrator. All three of them went back to LaCie because of uneven illumination...clearly visible to my eyes AND shown in their own calibration report. Anything more than 10% is considered unacceptable, My monitors had between 13-17% variation in the display report.
So, I started my research over again.  The Apple was appealing, but the glossy display was a turn off.
I settled on the NEC PA241W being discussed here.
It is a great monitor out of the box. No detectable unevenness. Better response than the LaCie as well, not tearing when moving dialog boxes. And a cheaper solution as well!

Just waiting for the new NEC puck and software to fine tune the display, but could not be happier.

davidlang

« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2010, 08:19:37 pm »

Just ordered a PA241W with the spectraview kit from cdw.ca. Really excited for this to arrive.

The hood for it seems to be sold out everywhere though. Still on the hunt for one...

Grateful to everyone on this forum for their valuable discussions. Sheds light on the complicated world of colour and monitors.

Paul Stalker

« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2010, 10:59:40 pm »

PA271W finally listed today on www.necdisplay.com for $320USD more than PA241W, either alone or for SV bundled. Very tempting to wait until this one ships (June?) In general, are there any downsides to a larger display?
cheers,
Paul

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2010, 11:15:04 pm »

Quote from: PaulStalker
PA271W finally listed today on www.necdisplay.com for $320USD more than PA241W, either alone or for SV bundled. Very tempting to wait until this one ships (June?) In general, are there any downsides to a larger display?
cheers,
Paul
The only downside would be if it had a coarser dot-pitch, but according to the specs it's actually finer (.23 on the 27", .27 on the 24"). If your desk layout doesn't allow adequate viewing distance, I suppose that could be an issue. You don't want to be so close to the display that you have to turn your head to see everything.
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

RobWalstrom

« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2010, 12:17:59 pm »

Quote from: JeffKohn
The only downside would be if it had a coarser dot-pitch, but according to the specs it's actually finer (.23 on the 27", .27 on the 24"). If your desk layout doesn't allow adequate viewing distance, I suppose that could be an issue. You don't want to be so close to the display that you have to turn your head to see everything.

The other difference worth noting is the 24" model has 98% coverage of AdobeRGB while the 27" has 97.1%.

I called NEC and was told that they are shipping the PA241W-BK-SV kit now but the PA271W-BK/PA271W-BK-SV will not be shipping until the end of May. I was all excited about the 27" but with the super fine pixel pitch I'm a bit worried about eye strain now. My current 20" monitor has a pixel pitch of .26. May have to take a look at a 27" iMac in the stores for a comparison.

BJNY

« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2010, 08:20:52 pm »

I'm thinking about getting the 30" PA down the road when it becomes available.

Wondering if this Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort adapter will connect it to MacBook Pro,
or will Apple's Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter still be necessary?
Guillermo

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2010, 10:44:40 pm »

Quote from: BJNY

Wondering if this Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort adapter will connect it to MacBook Pro,
At that price I would think the Monoprice part is certainly worth I try. I would avoid DVI input on the display if possible, since it limits you to 8-bit per channel color.
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

WillH

• http://www.necdisplay.com
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2010, 02:16:15 am »

The Mini DisplayPort -> DisplayPort adapter will work, however I strongly caution against using that particular design since it is *very* fragile and one wrong move will destroy the connector on your Mac. It is much better to get a Mini DisplayPort -> DisplayPort cable (monoprice sells them). The Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter will work, but is not necessary since all of the PA series displays have DisplayPort inputs.
Will Hollingworth
Senior Manager, Product Development
NEC Display Solutions of America, Inc.

ericstaud

• www.ericstaudenmaier.com
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2010, 03:15:40 am »

Do the SV and Non-SV versions of the new PA series differ only in the added calibrator and software, or is the factory calibration of the SV series more thorough?  The reason I ask is because I already have the SV software for my current LCD2690WUXI and use an EyeOne spectro to calibrate.

Also, the MultiProfiler software is listed under the "technology" section of the SV version of the monitor but not with the standard version.

http://www.necdisplay.com/Products/Product...11-6d39c54f61bd

http://www.necdisplay.com/MultiProfiler/

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2010, 07:31:26 am »

Quote from: ericstaud
Do the SV and Non-SV versions of the new PA series differ only in the added calibrator and software, or is the factory calibration of the SV series more thorough?  The reason I ask is because I already have the SV software for my current LCD2690WUXI and use an EyeOne spectro to calibrate.

Also, the MultiProfiler software is listed under the "technology" section of the SV version of the monitor but not with the standard version.

That is a good question.

Here is what the current manual for SVII says.
Note: This version of SpectraView II software does not yet support communicating with the display via USB, therefore DDC/CI must be used. A future update to SpectraView II will add this and other features new to the NEC MultiSync PA Series models.

The current version on the NEC web site is SpectraView II 1.1.04 , so apparently a newer version will need to be released to fully support the NEC MultiSync PA Series models even though the the NEC MultiSync PA Series models are listed as supported in the 1.1.04 manual.

Can anybody clear this up?

Doyle

WillH

« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2010, 09:25:56 am »

Quote from: ericstaud

The two are exactly the same. Just the -SV version comes with the software and sensor bundled.

The MultiProfiler software works with both the non-SV and -SV. It needs to be listed on the non-SV page.
Will Hollingworth

WillH

« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2010, 09:30:32 am »

Quote from: Doyle Yoder
That is a good question.

Here is what the current manual for SVII says.
Note: This version of SpectraView II software does not yet support communicating with the display via USB, therefore DDC/CI must be used. A future update to SpectraView II will add this and other features new to the NEC MultiSync PA Series models.

The current version on the NEC web site is SpectraView II 1.1.04 , so apparently a newer version will need to be released to fully support the NEC MultiSync PA Series models even though the the NEC MultiSync PA Series models are listed as supported in the 1.1.04 manual.

Can anybody clear this up?

Doyle

An update will be available in a couple of weeks that adds support for communicating with the display via USB, in addition to the DDC/CI method that is supported in the current version. Adding USB support means it can be used as an alternative to DDC/CI on a couple of Mac models and Mac OS versions that have issues with DDC/CI support.

We will be adding other features unique to the new PA series over the next few months.
Will Hollingworth

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2010, 12:21:38 pm »

Quote from: WillH
An update will be available in a couple of weeks that adds support for communicating with the display via USB, in addition to the DDC/CI method that is supported in the current version. Adding USB support means it can be used as an alternative to DDC/CI on a couple of Mac models and Mac OS versions that have issues with DDC/CI support.

We will be adding other features unique to the new PA series over the next few months.

Thanks for replying here.

Another question. What is the exact difference package wise between the PA241W-BK and the PA241W-BK-SV? Does the SV include a hood? If not is one available?

Doyle

RobWalstrom

« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2010, 03:11:11 pm »

Quote from: Doyle Yoder
Thanks for replying here.

Another question. What is the exact difference package wise between the PA241W-BK and the PA241W-BK-SV? Does the SV include a hood? If not is one available?

Doyle

Heh, see Will's reply two posts above yours. SV includes the Spectraview II software and calibration sensor. Can't say for sure if there is a hood available, but it would not be bundled with the SV version.

The two are exactly the same. Just the -SV version comes with the software and sensor bundled.

The MultiProfiler software works with both the non-SV and -SV. It needs to be listed on the non-SV page.

ericstaud

« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2010, 08:34:30 pm »

Quote from: WillH

Thank you Will.

pixtweak

« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2010, 09:02:31 pm »

Re: Macbook Pro and PA series monitors

"The Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter will work, but is not necessary since all of the PA series displays have DisplayPort inputs."  - Will H

Will has this been tested and verified? I assume "work" means that it (mini displayport -> displayport cable) will work the same as using dual link DVI adapter cable, which is 8 bit and not 10 bit. My understanding is that currently Macbook Pros do not allow for 10 bit per channel output. It would be nice to at least go with the less expensive solution, if it is indeed working. Going with a mini displayport -> displayport adapter cable would also be preferable assuming Apple and NVidia come up with new firmware/drivers that allows for 10 bit/30 bit color on the Macbook Pro ASAP.

WillH

« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2010, 12:57:22 am »

Quote from: pixtweak
Re: Macbook Pro and PA series monitors

"The Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter will work, but is not necessary since all of the PA series displays have DisplayPort inputs."  - Will H

Will has this been tested and verified? I assume "work" means that it (mini displayport -> displayport cable) will work the same as using dual link DVI adapter cable, which is 8 bit and not 10 bit. My understanding is that currently Macbook Pros do not allow for 10 bit per channel output. It would be nice to at least go with the less expensive solution, if it is indeed working. Going with a mini displayport -> displayport adapter cable would also be preferable assuming Apple and NVidia come up with new firmware/drivers that allows for 10 bit/30 bit color on the Macbook Pro ASAP.

Yes it has been verified using a mini displayport -> displayport cable. This is the least expensive and best solution. The alternative is to use the $99 Apple adapter which has some "issues". Note that 10 bit support must be built into the video card hardware as well. Currently only the FXx800 series cards support 10 bits.
Will Hollingworth

BJNY

« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2010, 10:12:57 am »

WillH,

Thank you for the answers you've given.

Reading the specifications, may I know what quick release stand means?
Does the display portion disconnect from the desk stand quickly?
If yes, which third party VESA brands are compatible?
Guillermo

ericstaud

« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2010, 11:19:25 am »

WillH,

Thank you for the answers you've given.

Reading the specifications, may I know what quick release stand means?
Does the display portion disconnect from the desk stand quickly?
If yes, which third party VESA brands are compatible?

If it's like my LCD2690WUXI, then with the flick of a lever you can remove the monitor from the stand.  This reveals the screw holes on the monitor for the 100 x 100mm VESA mount.

....Actually, just looked this up... The PDF instruction manual for the PA series has a pretty clear illustration of removing the monitor stand and the placement of the VESA screw holes...

http://www.necdisplay.com/cms/documents/Us..._UserManual.pdf
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 11:19:49 am by ericstaud »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up