Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Rhe RED Med format  (Read 81849 times)

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #200 on: November 19, 2008, 05:20:02 pm »

I know this is very off the original topic but I just bought a B when I wanted an A

Given a better representation of the two products 3 d or a movie I woulnd t have made that error  ( B has no thread on the back side ) I would have taken the time to watch it irrelevant of bandwidth !

SMM

Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

TMARK

Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #201 on: November 19, 2008, 09:01:12 pm »

Quote from: E_Edwards
This time we used taxis all the time. The previous time, we got really scared on the subway when we ended up at a station and there was no-one around, all we could hear were distant echoes of footsteps coming our way and fearing we would get robbed or attacked, just as it happens in the movies!

B&H seemed to have moved everything to the first floor. Still a great store, you are so lucky to have it, my daughter was fascinated by all the orthodox jews in there! Shops have more assistants per capita than in the UK and strangely for a big city like NY, we found the majority of people quite friendly and chatty. Apart from the Apple store which was geared for cattle, we found service was miles better than in the UK, but we found that adding 15, 18 or even 20 per cent to every restaurant bill was a little too much.

I was told by a friend who has worked in both countries that US advertising, design and branding agency fees are quite a bit lower in the States. I have a feeling that you probably have to work harder and push yourselves harder as photographers over there.

Crime in NYC is minimal.  It can be creepy, all alone in a subway station, but the odds of being assaulted are lower than in London, Berlin, Paris, LA, Chicago, etc.  

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #202 on: November 20, 2008, 01:34:46 am »

Quote from: Morgan_Moore
I know this is very off the original topic but I just bought a B when I wanted an A

Given a better representation of the two products 3 d or a movie I woulnd t have made that error  ( B has no thread on the back side ) I would have taken the time to watch it irrelevant of bandwidth !

SMM

That is exactly the type of requests I am getting more lately.

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #203 on: November 20, 2008, 01:52:14 am »

Quote from: Dustbak
That is exactly the type of requests I am getting more lately.

Do you have a method ?

interestingly for products the is no need for a movie camera

I have been experimenting with putting a product tripod and taking 180 still frames of it as it is rotated through 360 degrees (not enough)

I use the degree markers on the tripod

To do it 'properly' the product should be stationary and the camera should move - but that calls for some very fancy jib or suchlike

These can then be merged into Quicktime Pro to make a short movie

Using a stills camera one can use strobe of course for each frame and pull focus if required

I shot 4000 frames on my D3 in a short time - and then thought about shutter life

I will use my redundant d80 for future experimentation - the D80 is of course Red quality  '3k'

I was buying more A/Bs to help rig such experiments by the way !

Hoizontal pans can be made using software : motion in FCP (final cut) - what you need for that is a nice wide piture shot on a high quality camera that has many times 1910 pixels width - an MFDB for instance

S
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 02:07:36 am by Morgan_Moore »

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #204 on: November 20, 2008, 02:46:43 am »

Nope, no best practice yet. Experiencing the same kind of stuff as you. Messing around wit VRWorx amongst other things. Maybe Flash would be better but there is already so much software to master.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 02:48:32 am by Dustbak »

Carsten W

Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #205 on: November 20, 2008, 10:29:30 am »

Quote from: TMARK
Crime in NYC is minimal.  It can be creepy, all alone in a subway station, but the odds of being assaulted are lower than in London, Berlin, Paris, LA, Chicago, etc.

New York City less than Berlin? Have you been to Berlin? I don't believe it, sorry.
Carsten W - [url=http://500px.com/Carste

gwhitf

Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #206 on: November 20, 2008, 10:40:55 am »

Quote from: carstenw
New York City less than Berlin? Have you been to Berlin? I don't believe it, sorry.

Ha! I went into the subway system in Berlin, and they don't even have TURNSTILES! It's based on the Honor System, and oddly, it works. I was shocked. Elegant train systems, and just walk down the steps and get on the train! My jaw dropped.

I was told they have monitors on the trains that check your tickets, randomly. Not sure though what the punishment is if you get caught. (If caught, maybe they force you to sell your Phase back and buy a Sinar, but that would be too harsh I guess).

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #207 on: November 20, 2008, 11:01:18 am »

gwhitf,

be cautious, I have been almost condemned to hell in another thread, for having dared to mention the name Sinar and trying to sell "my" products in a thread which wasn't about it.
I wouldn't push this brand too much.

Thierry

Quote from: gwhitf
If caught, maybe they force you to sell your Phase back and buy a Sinar, but that would be too harsh I guess.
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

gwhitf

Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #208 on: November 20, 2008, 11:28:03 am »

« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 11:04:03 am by gwhitf »

TMARK

Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #209 on: November 20, 2008, 11:37:54 am »

Yup, I've been to Berlin.  Lived there in the early and 90's.  Haven't been back in 10 years or so.  In '91 I saw a Vietnamese street vender get his head bashed in with a paveing stone on the U Bahn.  I also saw a Bordsteinbeissen event in Kreutzberg.  Communist skinheads versus Nazi skinheads.  Berlin in those days had the vibe of Weimar.  I thought I would wake up one morning and read that Rosa Luxemberg's body washed up in the Spree or the Landwehr Kanal.  I saw 15 or so young Gastarbeiter attempt to rape two young punk rock street girls in Kreuzberg.  I saw a train conducter slap an old lady on the U Bahn.  I'm sure its changed, but in those days it was sketch city, maybe less dangerous than New York in the 1990's but still edgy. Back in the early 90's in London the tube was freaky.  There was some guy who was raping boys and young men and then stabbing them. I would ride the tube with my Nikons and a knife.  I was all set to back someone with my F4.

New York now is really very safe. The police are efficient.  Crime underground is the lowest its been since the 1950's.  The key, like anywhere I suppose, is don't hang out underground alone in bad parts of town, which means parts of the Bronx, small parts of Harlem, most of Queens, and deep deep Brooklyn.  Also keep in mind that there are always people out and about.  Its always crowded in most stations where you might want to go.

jing q

• we are super
Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #210 on: November 20, 2008, 02:28:07 pm »

Yup, I've been to Berlin.  Lived there in the early and 90's.  Haven't been back in 10 years or so.  In '91 I saw a Vietnamese street vender get his head bashed in with a paveing stone on the U Bahn.  I also saw a Bordsteinbeissen event in Kreutzberg.  Communist skinheads versus Nazi skinheads.  Berlin in those days had the vibe of Weimar.  I thought I would wake up one morning and read that Rosa Luxemberg's body washed up in the Spree or the Landwehr Kanal.  I saw 15 or so young Gastarbeiter attempt to rape two young punk rock street girls in Kreuzberg.  I saw a train conducter slap an old lady on the U Bahn.  I'm sure its changed, but in those days it was sketch city, maybe less dangerous than New York in the 1990's but still edgy. Back in the early 90's in London the tube was freaky.  There was some guy who was raping boys and young men and then stabbing them. I would ride the tube with my Nikons and a knife.  I was all set to back someone with my F4.

New York now is really very safe. The police are efficient.  Crime underground is the lowest its been since the 1950's.  The key, like anywhere I suppose, is don't hang out underground alone in bad parts of town, which means parts of the Bronx, small parts of Harlem, most of Queens, and deep deep Brooklyn.  Also keep in mind that there are always people out and about.  Its always crowded in most stations where you might want to go.

yeah new york is pretty safe. I used to walk back home around 4am after clubbing, no problems.
You'll find more problems with the smaller scale non violent crimes like weird people trying to cheat your money....con-men everywhere!

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #211 on: November 20, 2008, 08:03:56 pm »

I am effectively and slowly thinking that it's showing more courage to hang around here currently, than in the soon-to-be in civil war or military-coup-prone Thailand!
May I collect my Award while still alive?

Thierry

You and Yair and Steve all share The Courage Award lately. Just for hanging in there. Why don't you go pounce on Laforet for his sole suggestion for 2009: "do not buy a medium format back. Keep your cash".
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

Carsten W

Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #212 on: November 21, 2008, 05:11:54 am »

Sounds like fascinating times, in a brutal kind of way. I have been living here for 7 years now, and it doesn't even resemble your description, and certainly doesn't belong in the same sentence as London or Paris, two much more dangerous cities, never mind even more dangerous American cities like L.A. or Chicago. I think Berlin is about as dangerous as Copenhagen these days

Btw, I am not saying that NYC is dangerous, just that Berlin is a gentle lamb among cities these days. Sure, stuff happens, but very rarely does anything serious happen.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 05:12:43 am by carstenw »
Carsten W - [url=http://500px.com/Carste

Gigi

• some work
Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #213 on: November 21, 2008, 11:57:35 am »

Sounds like fascinating times, in a brutal kind of way. I have been living here for 7 years now, and it doesn't even resemble your description, and certainly doesn't belong in the same sentence as London or Paris, two much more dangerous cities, never mind even more dangerous American cities like L.A. or Chicago. I think Berlin is about as dangerous as Copenhagen these days

Btw, I am not saying that NYC is dangerous, just that Berlin is a gentle lamb among cities these days. Sure, stuff happens, but very rarely does anything serious happen.

Living in CHicago for some 20+ years, I have a hard time calling it dangerous. I see single women by former housing projects, waiting at night for the bus (no not for that other stuff, mind your manners), safely. Never would have happened 15 years ago. No incidents, etc. So who knows what is safe and what is not? Does it have to do with knowing the town, and where to go and not to go?

Geoff
Geoff

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #214 on: November 21, 2008, 01:50:52 pm »

red digital camera anyone ?

gwhitf

Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #215 on: November 21, 2008, 07:25:49 pm »

I take it all back, Big Cooter. This is pretty sweet:

http://video.nytimes.com/video/2008/11/21/.../immersion.html

Supposedly shot with the Red. (Not that that matters, on the web). But my point is: video has its place, if the concept (and lighting) is right. And in this piece, it certainly is.

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #216 on: November 22, 2008, 12:17:07 am »

I take it all back, Big Cooter. This is pretty sweet:

http://video.nytimes.com/video/2008/11/21/.../immersion.html

Supposedly shot with the Red. (Not that that matters, on the web). But my point is: video has its place, if the concept (and lighting) is right. And in this piece, it certainly is.

So is that a 'stronger' 'piece of art' than some still photos of the same subject - which would be interesting too - I would suggest if a screen is the medium of delivery - maybe..

paulmoorestudio

• http://paulmoorestudio.com
Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #217 on: November 24, 2008, 02:32:30 pm »

Quote from: Morgan_Moore
So is that a 'stronger' 'piece of art' than some still photos of the same subject - which would be interesting too - I would suggest if a screen is the medium of delivery - maybe..

still screen shots for this ran in this last sunday's ny times magazine.. spread landscapes - looked very good to me..there is no way I would have thought this was a still from a video..
 it is not a high glossy magazine but I got the drift and they worked.. saw some weird stuff but not sure if it was the printing.
paul

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #218 on: November 25, 2008, 12:22:02 pm »

RED

i guess all our posts were a little premature....new announcement dec 3rd....which will blow the old announcement out of the water....
i can't wait for the jan announcement....i had a feeling timetravel is possible....

yodelyo

Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #219 on: November 25, 2008, 05:25:19 pm »

Quote from: pss
RED

i guess all our posts were a little premature....new announcement dec 3rd....which will blow the old announcement out of the water....
i can't wait for the jan announcement....i had a feeling timetravel is possible....

wow, I just went thru that thread..... seems like most of the pundits are expecting a new breakthru in Dynamic range but there all just guessing. I do not shoot motion picture but planning on starting as soon as I can get a scarlet, for some reason the 5DII is not as appealing to me..... anyway, the one thing truly apparent with the Red company is that ALL of their customers love the product, the owner, and anything related. Like the best customer service ever.... this should wake the crap out of Phase because that has been my biggest complaint with them.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Up