Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Rhe RED Med format  (Read 81819 times)

ynp

• http://
Rhe RED Med format
« on: November 13, 2008, 05:39:56 am »

645 and 6x17 sensors announced today. No delivery date (and year) yet...

http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21835&page=3
Does it mean that with the new sensor Live View to the LCD screen will be possible?
Yevgeny
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 05:43:05 am by ynp »

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 05:47:14 am »

[quote name='ynp' date='Nov 13 2008, 06:39 AM' post='236627']
645 and 6x17 sensors announced today. No delivery date (and year) yet...

http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21835&page=3
Does it mean that with the new sensor Live View to the LCD screen will be possible?
Yevgeny

Hi
IS THIS GAME SET MATCH!!!!!!!!!!!!
Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 06:02:51 am »

The interesting stuff is one to two years away...

Why on earth would you want to give your competition this kind of advanced warning???

This is as close to a suicide as it gets. How arrogant do you have to be to think that Japanese companies won't be able to totally overshoot you if you give them a clear target...

Cheers,
Bernard

heinrichvoelkel

Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 06:04:00 am »

http://www.engadget.com/photos/reds-digita...ficial/1155680/

the link above does show sensor sizes

Looks like, we can have digital panoramic photography with live view and handholdable.

Exciting times we live in

heinrichvoelkel

Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 06:05:30 am »

heinrichvoelkel

Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 06:07:41 am »

Quote from: BernardLanguillier

Why on earth would you want to give your competition this kind of advanced warning???

This is as close to a suicide as it gets. How arrogant do you have to be to think that Japanese companies won't be able to totally overshoot you if you give them a clear target...

Cheers,
Bernard

Since the Red One is out, neither Sony nor anyother manufacturer did go after them....

But I actually prefer a roadmap, so I can invest my money accordingly

BernardLanguillier

Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 06:14:18 am »

Quote from: heinrichvoelkel
Since the Red One is out, neither Sony nor anyother manufacturer did go after them....

Right, but this announcement can only be read as a frontal attack.

Cheers,
Bernard

Imaginara

Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 06:14:43 am »

And invest them you would have to =)

Note the prices? $45 000 for basically a 65MP full frame medium format back that can do 1-50 FPS? Anyone wants to sell their H3D/Phase P65/Leaf/Sinar to me for nothing so you can go spend 55k + some more in 2 years time?

Feels more like RED dreamt up a really really really awesome system first, then noted how much it would cost and now trying to get people so strung up on the high ends so they invest in the low ends that exist now (or in 09)

lecter

Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 06:22:33 am »

Quote from: Imaginara

Note the prices? $45 000 for basically a 65MP full frame medium format back that can do 1-50 FPS? Anyone wants to sell their H3D/Phase P65/Leaf/Sinar to me for nothing so you can go spend 55k + some more in 2 years time?

Feels more like RED dreamt up a really really really awesome system first, then noted how much it would cost and now trying to get people so strung up on the high ends so they invest in the low ends that exist now (or in 09)

Although you must admit, being able to invest in a lower end, and then when switching "Brains", you keep all the add on bits, is a pretty nifty idea.

Throwing away perfectly good bodies every year or two does get a big tiring.

Rob

heinrichvoelkel

Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 06:27:06 am »

you're right...it is not gonna be cheap...but at least it is modular...the whole system...upgradable, etc...

Graham Mitchell

Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 06:28:55 am »

Interesting sensor, but seriously... does anyone think this is an alternative to a medium format camera?

Take the 645 module at $45.000. Who knows how much else must be added before you have a working camera.

Then you still have a huge, heavy, expensive camera with no optical viewfinder. Probably very slow flash sync. Image quality as yet unknown.

I did a shoot on a film set recently. Was the first time I get to touch a Red camera. Was amazed by how large it was, and not in a good way.

Graham Mitchell

Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 06:32:02 am »

$45 000 for basically a 65MP full frame medium format back that can do 1-50 FPS?

$45K is only a module. You need to add a lot more parts.

It makes no sense so compare offerings from MFDB makers today with what Red is dreaming of offering in a few years. I'm sure all the MFDBs will have moved on by then.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 04:35:07 pm by foto-z »

ynp

• http://
Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 06:36:28 am »

I liked the design and modularity of the RED System, it looks like a ultra-modern Sinar-M.  

IMO the announced price is irrelevant, the market is changing very fast and the technology  is on the march as well. I am interested in the "Live View to the Back" feature and I hope that the new generation of "traditional digital backs" will be able to use the new technology.

Does anybody know who will be  manufacturing the sensor? Can we hope to get the "Live View to the Back" with Sinar, Hasselblad, P1 or Leaf product?

Thanks,
Yevgeny

andrewparker

Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 06:44:05 am »

This sends my mind back to the Obama thread; undeniably impressive, looks like the answer, huge promises, all things to all people, reality sure to be disappointing by comparison with the build up.

It also dresses interestingly, like Obama. The look reminds me of a modern American motor car.

Unfortunately, as we know from long studying of this forum, details are decisively important. Hype is temporary, however compelling.

Andrew Parker

BernardLanguillier

Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 07:14:19 am »

Quote from: foto-z
It doesn't say the frame rate for 65MP is 50fps. The video mode runs up to 50 fps but that is only running at 9 MP.

Don't think so. 9K refers to the number of pixels on the long end of the frame.

Their claim appears to be 50 fps at 65MP.

Cheers,
Bernard

flashfredrikson

Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2008, 07:20:49 am »

Quote from: foto-z
It doesn't say the frame rate for 65MP is 50fps. The video mode runs up to 50 fps but that is only running at 9 MP.
Wrong. It says 9K not 9MP. In the movie world they use K which is the long size in pixels, it equals 65 MP then...

Ever used an 35mm Arri Graham? Those things are huge compared to the Red one...

Overall, everybody laughed at Red when the first announced their camera, keep laughing but I have seen this thing come true and so will the new ones, I am sure... And this little company is definitley changing a lot.

cheers,
martin

jing q

• we are super
Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2008, 07:49:56 am »

HOLY F**** CRAP
that is all I can say.
Anyone notice the 617 SENSOR?

Graham Mitchell

Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2008, 07:51:56 am »

Quote from: flashfredrikson
Wrong. It says 9K not 9MP. In the movie world they use K which is the long size in pixels, it equals 65 MP then...

Ever used an 35mm Arri Graham? Those things are huge compared to the Red one...

Overall, everybody laughed at Red when the first announced their camera, keep laughing but I have seen this thing come true and so will the new ones, I am sure... And this little company is definitley changing a lot.

cheers,
martin

Woops, you're right, it says 9K. I also noticed that it uses compression to achieve that data rate so once again it's a bit soon to celebrate. I doubt a compressed movie frame will be competition for a 60MP MFDB frame but we'll see if they ever make this thing

I'm just hoping that the sensor finds its way into some medium format cameras if it's any good.

Btw, I am not laughing at Red for movie use. Far from it. I am just laughing at the people talking as if this huge camera will really replace the still camera market.

jing q

• we are super
Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2008, 07:59:33 am »

Quote from: BernardLanguillier

Cheers,
Bernard

I think that's what's amazing about RED.
the owner seems interested in being progressive instead of the trickle-trickle upgrades that all other companies seem to be offering. Just like Tesla and Google...
This will definitely force some hands to release something better faster!

Btw look at his upgrade offer. The RED ONE users get a FULL credit towards an upgrade.
Respectable or what?
Kudos to them.
and BTW take a look at the 6x17 configuration, looks like a handholdable solution

The other photos look huge but that might be because they are all configured with additional parts for taking video

one more thing
the lens mount is a MAMIYA mount for the 645 sensor
GREAT! What with the Leica S2 lenses being compatible I'm starting to think that it's a good idea to hold on to my mamiya system

« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 08:04:44 am by jing q »

Carsten W

Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2008, 08:25:59 am »

Quote from: jing q
and BTW take a look at the 6x17 configuration, looks like a handholdable solution

You might want to add a battery back, and storage. That would be my personal preference anyway  Unless that is built into the grips?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 08:27:28 am by carstenw »
Carsten W - [url=http://500px.com/Carste
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Up