Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: 5D Mark II Announced!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 65075 times)

DarkPenguin

5D Mark II Announced!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #80 on: September 17, 2008, 11:58:22 am »

Please don't give John large multiline posts to respond to line by line.  Michael isn't back until the 23rd.

*Chomp*

DarkPenguin

« Reply #81 on: September 17, 2008, 11:59:57 am »

One cross type sensor is a little poor.

I like my 5D. The only problems I frequently have is with AF.

I´m a people/portrait photographer and I often shot aperture open.

So there is no use for me for a 5DMkII. It would only give me higher resolution, but the same high amount of poorly focussed pictures.
Bernd
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222087\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Initially it looked like it had the 40D's AF.  DPreview indicates that it is the same as the original 5D.  The only two improvements I can see are the dedicated AF-ON button and the micro adjustments for up to 20 lenses.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #82 on: September 17, 2008, 12:02:17 pm »

Edit: The following quote is in reference to no MLU button.
I would be, big time.

Live view provides essentially the same thing.  Plus you get a last check on framing.  Provided, of course, you have contrast detect AF turned off in LV.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 12:02:49 pm by DarkPenguin »

NikosR

• http://
« Reply #83 on: September 17, 2008, 12:06:50 pm »

Please don't give John large multiline posts to respond to line by line.  Michael isn't back until the 23rd.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222090\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think you're right. Point taken.
Nikos

DarkPenguin

« Reply #84 on: September 17, 2008, 12:21:39 pm »

I thought this was an interesting post by iliah borg...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp...essage=29359634

macgyver

« Reply #85 on: September 17, 2008, 12:26:57 pm »

Nikon is offering, for $500 more money, a camera that cannot take anywhere near as good a photographs as the 5D Mk II.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222040\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's a pretty big assumption for a camera who's output we really haven't seen yet. And, believe it or not, for some more MPs actually means a worse photo. Shocking, I know. </sarcasm> There are many more factors that play into the quality of a photo beside the sensor.

I'll have to take it on faith, given your number of posts, that you aren't a troll.

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #86 on: September 17, 2008, 12:41:33 pm »

That's a pretty big assumption for a camera who's output we really haven't seen yet. And, believe it or not, for some more MPs actually means a worse photo. Shocking, I know. </sarcasm> There are many more factors that play into the quality of a photo beside the sensor.

I'll have to take it on faith, given your number of posts, that you aren't a troll.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222106\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

well there are even some people claiming there 1DsMk2 is better than a Mk3 ... I don't really have to comment such BS

Nikon is doing great, they are just still missing more MP. I don't say we need 21 but 12 is far behind. The difference can already be seen at 16x24 and there is a huge difference at 20x30 inches. For bigger fine art printing Nikon is "NOW" offering nothing. I can shoot with the great speed of a Nikon at 8fps, which does not help me a bit in producing bigger fine art prints.

I'm not saying Nikon is doing something wrong, I'm just saying they are aiming at different users. Would I be shooting sports I wouldn't have bought a P45 and I would not buy a 5D Mark2...
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Limosa

« Reply #87 on: September 17, 2008, 12:50:25 pm »

So there it is... alas, the "solutions to non-existing problems" - remark appears to have come true.

Bigger resolution, higher iso: for me this is nice to have, not _must_ have.

But, did we get a

- better viewfinder? Nope, or hardly so. Still smaller than my 1975 cheapo Nikkormat-brick.
- dedicated iso wheel? Nope. Press button, simultaneously turn wheel.
- dedicated mirror lock-up? Nope. Press menu, scroll, press, scroll, press, scroll etc

Bummer. Look forward to looking through the VF: maybe, just maybe the 3% increase has a bit of a wow-factor...

But hey, we DID get loads of features we don't need!! Hurray!!

JohnKoerner

« Reply #88 on: September 17, 2008, 01:03:23 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222106\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have to admit that I was trolling ... it is just funny to me that all the Canon users seem so happy and hopeful right now ... while all the die-hard Nikon fans seem to be so negative and upset right now (just look at the tone of all Nikonian posts, LOL) ... that I thought I would stir the bees' nest a bit  

I personally think Tony Beach showed the right attitude, for a Nikonian, in confidently waiting for the next Nikon step to be taken. This is exactly true!

I believe within a year or two that all of these $8000-$10,000 cameras are going to be $2000-$3000 cameras, with twice the quality of their predecessors. Take desktop computers for example: In 1998 I bought the top Dell power desktop for like $5,000. Today, I have a 10x better desktop for $700  

I think the prices for digital SLRs are teetering on their own massive collapse right now, with more and more great options for less-and-less price. It will very soon  be (if it isn't already) a "buyer's market," where these companies are going to start giving away their impressive technologies, where before you had to hit your hip pocket and buy them due to their exclusivity. Lasy year, you had to fork out almost 10G for 21 mp; this year only $2,600. Soon you will get all that the 5DMkII offers---plus 9 fps, plus weather sealing & other advancements---for the same $2500 or so. This is why I can't see any reason to be glum (unless you just spent $3000 and wished you hadn't).

Me, I am just an amateur who enjoys the heck out of a simple point-n-shoot, LOL. I am nowhere near as smart as most of you folks. But I am very glad I waited, and waited, and waited for what seems to be a great time to pick up a ground-breaking professional-level camera for about 1/3rd of what the (lesser) technology would have cost two years ago ... but I am still going to wait for a few reviews, and of course after Christmas

Jack

GregW

« Reply #89 on: September 17, 2008, 01:41:34 pm »

Canon have delivered the camera an existing 5d owner would like to own. For good reasons the 5D has an exceptionally loyal following and I'm sure this was key to Canon's Mk II strategy. Provided it delivers on it's specification most users will be very satisfied. All weather performance. In bad weather the 5D didn't always inspire complete confidence. If the 5D Mk II proves to be more robust, landscape photographers will be very happy indeed.

Interestingly, 5 pages and very little discussion about video features.  Does this imply the landscape photographer hasn't yet found relevance in this new technology?

Many will be made, but I'm not sure that a direct comparison between the D700 and 5M Mk II is particularly helpful or relevant. The 5D Mk II's feature set lends itself to specific photographic segments, the D700 has broader appeal. It's is clear that while there is some cross over they are serving different markets.

Bernd B.

« Reply #90 on: September 17, 2008, 01:52:46 pm »

Canon have delivered the camera an existing 5d owner would like to own.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222125\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Nope!

Bernd

GregW

« Reply #91 on: September 17, 2008, 01:57:31 pm »

Nope!

Bernd
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222127\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ok then 'most'  

Limosa

« Reply #92 on: September 17, 2008, 02:45:04 pm »

Well, there's people who know what they want, and then there's people who gladly have a manufacturer tell them what they want. Most people fall in the second category.

But yes, the price is amazing.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 02:46:49 pm by Limosa »

DarkPenguin

JohnKoerner

« Reply #94 on: September 17, 2008, 02:58:47 pm »

Well, there's people who know what they want, and then there's people who gladly have a manufacturer tell them what they want. Most people fall in the second category.
But yes, the price is amazing.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222135\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There's also people who own and run companies and make things happen ... and there's the rest of us who sit around and "watch" things happen ...

There is also the needs of "most people" a company has to consider ... versus the needs of a select few that don't add up to as much ...

And, finally, there's also people who appreciate the new great things they have ... versus the people who forever complain about what they "don't" have ... LOL

There are lots of ways to divide things up  

Yoram from Berlin

• Yoram Roth Photography
« Reply #95 on: September 17, 2008, 03:24:48 pm »

- better viewfinder? Nope, or hardly so. Still smaller than my 1975 cheapo Nikkormat-brick.
- dedicated iso wheel? Nope. Press button, simultaneously turn wheel.
- dedicated mirror lock-up? Nope. Press menu, scroll, press, scroll, press, scroll etc

Bummer. Look forward to looking through the VF: maybe, just maybe the 3% increase has a bit of a wow-factor...
Well, in fairness, the custom menu settings (same as on my 1Ds Mk III) are pretty slick, and make the MLU relatively easy to use - for shooting landscapes I use it together with LiveView, and it works pretty well.

Also, 98% coverage is good enough for me, but the magnification is a little too small. 1.00x would be my preference, course  

lovell

« Reply #96 on: September 17, 2008, 04:28:45 pm »

For a moment lets forget about all the bells and whistles, features and such; forget about GPS this, infrared that.....

Lets get down to where the rubber meets the road: Image Quality ONLY.  

And if the 5D Mark II provides better enlargements, lower noise, more details (after anti-noise in-cam processing) then the competition, then regardless of lacking any feature, the 5DM2 is the better camera.

I would not be surprised if the 5DM2 is the best camera of any make, any price, just like the 5D was just a few years ago.

I suspect (not seen any pics yet) that the 5DM2 provides the best IQ of ANY Canon body....time will tell of course.

Boys, lets not get hyped up with features...at the end of the day it's about the picture, the image quality.  In other words if the 5DM2 shows to have just half of the kewl bells and whistles of the other models, but provides the best IQ, then it is the best DSLR, barr-none, and period, and end of story.
After composition, everything else is secondary--Alfred Steiglitz, NYC, 1927.

I'm not afraid of death.  I just don't want to be there when it happens--Woody Allen, Annie Hall, '70s

Limosa

« Reply #97 on: September 17, 2008, 04:33:15 pm »

True, and there's grumpy people and then there's the rest... I'm in the first category, today. Never mind. Happy with my 5d, usually (Geeezzz... a camera that can only take pictures, how lame is THAT???)

John/Jack: Marketeers have more power over what consumers _want_ than you grant them.

Using Live View for focus is, well... another example of 'let's take a fairly simple thing and make it 100x more complicated'. A good, I mean a reaaally good viewfinder would make it moot, no? Okay maybe in some pitch-black situations, that usually don't make for such photogenic stuff either. I do have trouble manual focusing sometimes with a wide angle, even with the EE-s screen. I can imagine an optical VF with an electronically enhanced image, now that would satisfy the engineers and the geeks, and me too!

But you make do with what you have.

Flatline, I understood the dsIII viewfinder was a big step forward? Not enough for you, apparently? Did you change the focusing screen?

Lovell, true but you'll need a computer twice as fast. Or wait twice as long between every click in photoshop.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 04:37:23 pm by Limosa »

Tony Beach

• http://imageevent.com/tonybeach/twelveimages
« Reply #98 on: September 17, 2008, 04:46:55 pm »

I would not be surprised if the 5DM2 is the best camera of any make, any price, just like the 5D was just a few years ago.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222162\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

More resolution than a H3D, better noise in bad light than a D3/D700, and all presumed without any firsthand or even secondhand experience -- wow, now that's fanboyism.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 04:47:58 pm by Tony Beach »

image66

« Reply #99 on: September 17, 2008, 04:48:18 pm »

Wait for a complete review and test.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221985\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What a novel concept.

It says "Canon" on the body so it has to be good, right?  We lemmings just assume that it's going to be "better" in every regard than the axe we're currently swinging.

I hope they have the AF sorted out.

Ken
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Up