Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Sinar arTec camera  (Read 169036 times)

Carsten W

New Sinar arTec camera
« Reply #200 on: May 15, 2009, 04:25:34 pm »

Haha, I have read the whole thread, don't worry. Tom had some questions though. I was just wondering why when Tom posted questions about the arTec, everyone was recommending to buy a different camera. I recommended to Tom that he ask his questions here because I knew you could answer them.

C

Quote from: rainer_v
thats funny.

certainly you were following this tread with much interest....  
the following responses in this tread have been from me:
any question after reading them?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 04:33:02 pm by carstenw »
Carsten W - [url=http://500px.com/Carste

paratom

New Sinar arTec camera
« Reply #201 on: May 15, 2009, 05:12:36 pm »

Quote from: carstenw
Haha, I have read the whole thread, don't worry. Tom had some questions though. I was just wondering why when Tom posted questions about the arTec, everyone was recommending to buy a different camera. I recommended to Tom that he ask his questions here because I knew you could answer them.

C

Ja, I also have read the whole thread (which gives a lot of helpful information) but was looking for some additional experiences / help.
Kind Regards,Tom

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
New Sinar arTec camera
« Reply #202 on: May 15, 2009, 11:48:27 pm »

Quote from: paratom
I have a question for Rainer and other ARtec useres:
I wonder how good the Artec works regarding tollerances and reliability of the movements etc.
I had one in my hand once but could not take any images with it.
While the Alpa SWA is maybe prettier I still believe in the end the Artec offers more (more movements, and the posibility to check focus atc. on the groundgrass with the sliding adapter) and prices of the Artec have come down a bit as well.

Another question. How good you feel when using a groundglass in MF-size? Do you find it is bright enough and enough detail to focus accurate?
Its quite a bit smaller than those large format ground glasses. Is it as usefull?

The other question is which lens as a first lens. I plan to use it for landscape 70% and architecture and other stuff 30%, "all just for fun" (I am not a pro).
I tend to go 35mm first and maybe add in a year (if I win the lottery) a 23/24mm and one day 47mm.
However maybe 28 would be the better way to start? Any comments?

Regards, Tom

sorry i just saw your questions now. thierry is right . i am very busy these days till end of july .

movements and tolerances are very fine. soon i will get the new artec with the changed tilt mechanism ( geared ), i am looking forward that this might make it more easy to "fine-tune" the tilt settings. but so far no critic from my side to tolerances and how the movements work.

i am not focussing on the groundglas. i use the meter scale on the optic and zoom sometimes to 100%. some people focus on the groundglas, i dont like to do this. but its bright and it is possible to focus accurate, if someone likes to do that.

i would suggest to start with the 35mm. maybe than the 60 and the 23.
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

David WM

• http://
New Sinar arTec camera
« Reply #203 on: May 16, 2009, 10:39:31 am »

Rainer,    
If you do not use the ground glass for focus, why is it that you use a sliding back system. Wouldn't the system be more compact if you used a rangefinder ( like the Cambo WDS ) and use the LCD  on the DB to preview the image, now that some are getting larger LCD's?

Regards, David

i am not focussing on the groundglas. i use the meter scale on the optic and zoom sometimes to 100%. some people focus on the groundglas, i dont like to do this. but its bright and it is possible to focus accurate, if someone likes to do that.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 10:41:28 am by David WM »

archivue

New Sinar arTec camera
« Reply #204 on: May 16, 2009, 11:06:12 am »

Quote from: David WM
Rainer,    
If you do not use the ground glass for focus, why is it that you use a sliding back system. Wouldn't the system be more compact if you used a rangefinder ( like the Cambo WDS ) and use the LCD  on the DB to preview the image, now that some are getting larger LCD's?

Regards, David

focusing on the ground glass with ultra wide angle lens (larger than 45mm) and digital back isn't really easy... but using the ground glass for composition is way better than a range finder !

So Sinar Artech and Arca RM3D+ rotaslide are for me the two valuable system for architecture... ground glass and perfect focusing... and tilt !

If same type of screen and live view as the 5DII was possible with a digital back, it will be an other story !

rainer_v

New Sinar arTec camera
« Reply #205 on: May 17, 2009, 12:07:06 am »

Quote from: archivue
focusing on the ground glass with ultra wide angle lens (larger than 45mm) and digital back isn't really easy... but using the ground glass for composition is way better than a range finder !

So Sinar Artech and Arca RM3D+ rotaslide are for me the two valuable system for architecture... ground glass and perfect focusing... and tilt !

If same type of screen and live view as the 5DII was possible with a digital back, it will be an other story !

exactly.

and even if mf backs would offer such good live view and lcd as the 5d2, i`d probably still prefer to compose the image on the groundglass.  its somehow a more physical contact with the motif, far less abstract than the lcd live view transmits.
next generation of photographers whi will grow up with digital probably might feel this different. i am educated by 4x5" work and groundglass composing, so this comes most close to what i am used to do.
focussing for architecture is normally not a problem cause many motifs play at infinity. even in interior shootings with wideangle use focussing isnt that critical. and to control the 100% view in any case is the way to go. images can be blurred by several reasons, it has not only to be an unaccurate focus setting, so better to check each shot afterwards a second.
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

paratom

New Sinar arTec camera
« Reply #206 on: May 17, 2009, 06:16:25 am »

exactly.

and even if mf backs would offer such good live view and lcd as the 5d2, i`d probably still prefer to compose the image on the groundglass.  its somehow a more physical contact with the motif, far less abstract than the lcd live view transmits.
next generation of photographers whi will grow up with digital probably might feel this different. i am educated by 4x5" work and groundglass composing, so this comes most close to what i am used to do.
focussing for architecture is normally not a problem cause many motifs play at infinity. even in interior shootings with wideangle use focussing isnt that critical. and to control the 100% view in any case is the way to go. images can be blurred by several reasons, it has not only to be an unaccurate focus setting, so better to check each shot afterwards a second.

Thank you Rainer!

archivue

New Sinar arTec camera
« Reply #207 on: May 18, 2009, 03:14:25 am »

even if mf backs would offer such good live view and lcd as the 5d2, i`d probably still prefer to compose the image on the groundglass.  its somehow a more physical contact with the motif, far less abstract than the lcd live view transmits.

yes, of course, but sometimes in dark atmosphere it helps !

rainer_v

New Sinar arTec camera
« Reply #208 on: May 18, 2009, 01:21:56 pm »

Quote from: archivue
yes, of course, but sometimes in dark atmosphere it helps !
certainly it does and i would like a lot that the mf backs would be at the same point than the canons/nikons are now.
but i think it will not make the use of a sliding back/ groundglass obsolete.
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Up