Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Finally! A Nikon G-EOS Adaptor  (Read 62186 times)

MarkWelsh

Finally! A Nikon G-EOS Adaptor
« on: November 27, 2007, 11:01:44 am »

Things are looking up: having made a crude prototype, a proper engineering firm has now made a better version that DOES provide manual aperture control of a Nikon G lens on a Canon digital body – according to a conversation we had today; I await their prototype by mail.

That means 1Ds III users will be able to use the new 14-24mm f2.8 for the ultimate in wide angle joy, if preliminary samples, Ken Rockwell's review, and the manufacturer's MTF charts are to be believed. You might also be interested in trying their excellent G-VR lenses like the 105 Macro and 200mm f2 . . . or even the 200-400/4.

Please PM or email me at mark at the domain 16-9.net if you're interested: the more that want them, the cheaper they will be.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 11:50:06 am »

Stop-down metering, I assume?

MarkWelsh

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 05:41:08 pm »

Stop-down metering, I assume?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=156448\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yes . . . same as the Nikon F adaptor, but with an additional control designed to replace the 'missing aperture ring'. Mimicking the Nikon AF system, plus linking it with a mechanical actuator would be a nightmare. The Contax N conversion is actually much simpler because it's all electronic, and Contax' AF is relatively similar to the Canon's.

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 07:58:47 pm »

Mark,

Congrats to the work on that adapter and getting a company make it!  

Will be super for using Nikon G lenses on Canon  

Regards
Anders

DMT

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 01:47:52 am »

Or, for even better results, y'all could put the 14-24 on a D3.  Just a thought.  

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 05:39:14 am »

Or, for even better results, y'all could put the 14-24 on a D3.  Just a thought.   
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=156588\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I cannot help to jump on this post for those who do not yet realize the value of such adapter.

I am an ex Nikon user. I still have my 17-35 AF-S and 45mm P lenses, the last is one I perhaps will never sell. In lack of Nikon having a FF I researched Canon and then broader and went for Mamiya. I now shoot ZD camera and 7ii.

The new Nikon D3 is FF, but not impressive to me. I shoot mainly landscapes and scenery and it lacks not only ISO 50 but even 100. That renders it useless. Likewise when it comes to having only 12MP. That is not enough for my photography. I have had Nikon F100 (very good camera, especially with Fuji Velvia ISO 50) and in digital D50 and D200 (last over 17 months, whereof D50 was only 2).

Holding a Canon 5D earlier this year was a totally different feeling. It felt somewhat like back to my F100 and photography again.

It is healthy for us all to think further than our own brand. Canon has the advantage of that there is room for an adapter between lens mounts of other brand of lenses and the camera. That is a great possibility. That is more difficult if you shoot Nikon. Do check on Mark's webpage at the extensive experience he has in fitting other brand lenses on Canon. That is impressive and very great.

Canon is seemingly lagging behind Nikon in wide zooms. However, Canon has a larger choice of lenses, and also more lenses with wider aperatures than Nikon to help isolate subjects with out of focus blur, similar to what medium format has.

This adapter with aperature blades is really great and useful product. If I go back to DSLR, little question in my mind that it will be a Canon. I think they are still ahead in spite of D3, and this adapter would be a true gem.  

Regards
Anders

MarkWelsh

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 05:49:47 am »

Or, for even better results, y'all could put the 14-24 on a D3.  Just a thought.   
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=156588\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What's a D3?

MarkWelsh

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 05:53:22 am »

Mark,

Congrats to the work on that adapter and getting a company make it!   

Will be super for using Nikon G lenses on Canon   

Regards
Anders
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=156544\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, Anders.

It has been a bit of a struggle to find someone prepared to do it, and it's early days yet, but I should have the working prototype by the end of the week. I'll update the 16-9 web site with a write-up ASAP.

I'm still awaiting confirmation of costs, and whether we can incorporate an AF-confirm chip but by the end of next week we should have more positive news.

Sunesha

• http://sunesha.se
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 07:02:19 am »

What's a D3?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=156614\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The latest fullframe Nikon camera that they market against photojournalist/sports. In canon terms I would describe it is like puttin a fullframe in a 1dmk3.
Daniel Sunebring, Malmoe, Sweden
Homepag

Thomas Krüger

• http://thomaskrueger.eu
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 07:04:58 am »

That's fine news.

I'm using the Nikon 10.5 DX ED Fisheye on a Canon 5D, so if it's possible to adjust the frame that would be great.

Here is a link to another selfmade adapter:
http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Adaptateur_EOS...OS_adapter.html

Conner999

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 07:58:32 am »

The ability to use G lenses, wide or long (200-400, hoorah) would be sweet.

While it would be MF, stop-down for someone (like me) considering a  moving (back) to Nikon in maybe 12-18 mos after the D3 has shaken out , the ability to have a lens cabinet that contains glass that will work on Nikon AND Canon to make any such switch less costly would be ideal. If there is no switch, you're no worse off. You get to use nice sharp G lenses that have a very big resale market if needd.

Personally, am trickling out my Leica glass to be replaced by Zeiss ZF and 1-2 EF units  and/or maybe now 1-2 nice G units.  I do most of my work manual focus on alt glass, but need at least one good AF unit.

Hopefully Canon kicks things into higher-gear as I'm seeing nice lens additions coming out of Nikon and the ability to use ZF lenses AND Nikkors without stop-down metering would be very nice.

Lets see some new FAST and tack sharp primes and zooms and. btw, do something about the sampe variation - not all of us live ear large dealers where we can cherry pick our purchase.

I'll drop you a PM.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 09:43:28 am »

... if preliminary samples, Ken Rockwell's review, and the manufacturer's MTF charts are to be believed.

Well if Ken is using the same logic here as he does to color spaces and color management, I'd be worried. But I don't know, he may be fully capable to discuss this aspect of imaging. Sorry, but his much referenced piece on sRGB is ridiculously silly.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

MarkWelsh

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2007, 11:30:53 am »

Ken takes a lot of flak for his somewhat subjective style, but in my experience he's never far off the money when it comes to Nikon lenses. As one of the very few who have experience with the new 14-24mm – not to mention most of the legendary Nikkor wides ever made – when he says it's by far the best thing he's ever used, it's credible.

You've only got to compare the MTFs internally with Nikon's own range – and consider their very slow and thoroughly thought-out approach to full frame – and their track record of breaking new ground with their ultrawides (the DX 12-24 is very special, too, as was the 17-35 AFS before it) to take the 'hype' seriously in this instance.

Truth be told, I see no hype at all for this lens yet: seems to me its greatness is destined to be undersung, given that, ironically, only 1Ds III shooters will really see what it can do.

NikosR

• http://
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2007, 09:02:02 am »

The new Nikon D3 is FF, but not impressive to me. I shoot mainly landscapes and scenery and it lacks not only ISO 50 but even 100. That renders it useless

Just out of curiosity why would lack of ISO 50 or 100 render a camera useless for landscapes? (btw. the D3 provides for LO ISO - ISO100 equivalent).
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 09:02:58 am by NikosR »
Nikos

bob mccarthy

• http://
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2007, 09:08:24 am »

It's usually the desire to have burr in moving objects. But then again it's real easy to add an ND filter when the lighting warrants it..

Me, I'd rather have the higher base ISO.

Bob

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2007, 09:27:23 am »

Truth be told, I see no hype at all for this lens yet: seems to me its greatness is destined to be undersung, given that, ironically, only 1Ds III shooters will really see what it can do.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=157275\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This is lens is nothing short of amazing, just like the new 24-70 f2.8 by the way.

I would advise Canon shooters not to buy it though, or else you will end up buying every single Nikkor to be released on the coming months... and end up using them without coupling in manual focus.

I would be much smarter to wait a few month to see if Nikon does indeed release a 24 MP D3x and then jump ship at once.

Cheers,
Bernard

MarkWelsh

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2007, 10:14:58 am »

Just uploaded the first pictures of the Nikon 14-24mm G used via a prototype adaptor on the Canon 5D. No mirror clearance issues, AF confirm checks out OK and registration seems OK, too: though I'm still looking into fine tuning it.

http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/nikon_14_24...n14_24mm_a.html

That Nikon 14-24/2.8 is one very special lens: it's a bit wasted on a D3, but it will THE lens for 1Ds III owners: there's nothing to touch it.

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2007, 01:16:19 pm »

Just uploaded the first pictures of the Nikon 14-24mm G used via a prototype adaptor on the Canon 5D. No mirror clearance issues, AF confirm checks out OK and registration seems OK, too: though I'm still looking into fine tuning it.

http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/nikon_14_24...n14_24mm_a.html

That Nikon 14-24/2.8 is one very special lens: it's a bit wasted on a D3, but it will THE lens for 1Ds III owners: there's nothing to touch it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158676\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Oh Mark!  I love my 12-24 and it's made me some good green, but this Nikon is very very nice!  How much are your adapters going for?  When can I order one?

Can't wait to see a f8 or better yet and f11 comparison.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 01:18:34 pm by infocusinc »
Craig Lamson Photo

felix5616

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2007, 02:25:50 pm »

Things are looking up: having made a crude prototype, a proper engineering firm has now made a better version that DOES provide manual aperture control of a Nikon G lens on a Canon digital body – according to a conversation we had today; I await their prototype by mail.

That means 1Ds III users will be able to use the new 14-24mm f2.8 for the ultimate in wide angle joy, if preliminary samples, Ken Rockwell's review, and the manufacturer's MTF charts are to be believed. You might also be interested in trying their excellent G-VR lenses like the 105 Macro and 200mm f2 . . . or even the 200-400/4.

Please PM or email me at mark at the domain 16-9.net if you're interested: the more that want them, the cheaper they will be.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=156431\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
i am interested in the converter for the nikon G lenses to canon eos camera
leo(felix5616@mac.com)

MarkWelsh

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2007, 05:33:00 am »

Oh Mark!  I love my 12-24 and it's made me some good green, but this Nikon is very very nice!  How much are your adapters going for?  When can I order one?

Can't wait to see a f8 or better yet and f11 comparison.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158739\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
As I say in the review, the Sigma has been a stalwart for me and many similar photographers over the years, but the Nikon completely replaces it, bar the last 2mm which I'll cover with a Zeiss fisheye.
More tests to follow . . .
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up