Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Finally! A Nikon G-EOS Adaptor  (Read 62184 times)

Ray

Finally! A Nikon G-EOS Adaptor
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2008, 07:31:18 pm »

I am glad to see that your transition to the Nikon system has started. :-)

Once you have the lenses, it will only be a matter of months until you put your hands on a body and see the remaining part of the light.   

Cheers,
Bernard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182509\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That really would be over-indulgent of me, Bernard, to buy a new body just so I could get the autofocus facility on one wide-angle lens.  

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2008, 07:41:09 pm »

That really would be over-indulgent of me, Bernard, to buy a new body just so I could get the autofocus facility on one wide-angle lens. 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182525\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ray, there's more to it than that. It has a number of unique features of great appeal to photographers - things that Canon could have already done if they really had a corporate culture of listening to customers. That said, the D3 is a 12 MP camera and the 1Ds3 21 MP; also very different price points. So comparing them isn't really all that straightforward - one probably wins in some respects, the other in others. What I do know is that my 1ds3 is delivering stunning detail and tonality, and they've made it much more user-friendly than its predecessors (so gradually over time they do listen to some people about some stuff!). A complete system change would cost a bundle and at this time it makes no practical sense - at least for me. Having lens adapters that allow Nikon and Canon bodies to accept Canon and Nikon lenses is the way to go - opens-up the best of both worlds in lenses, as it would seem that brand each has its stronger and weaker performers.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

schrodingerscat

« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2008, 12:06:09 am »

Ray, there's more to it than that. It has a number of unique features of great appeal to photographers - things that Canon could have already done if they really had a corporate culture of listening to customers. That said, the D3 is a 12 MP camera and the 1Ds3 21 MP; also very different price points. So comparing them isn't really all that straightforward - one probably wins in some respects, the other in others. What I do know is that my 1ds3 is delivering stunning detail and tonality, and they've made it much more user-friendly than its predecessors (so gradually over time they do listen to some people about some stuff!). A complete system change would cost a bundle and at this time it makes no practical sense - at least for me. Having lens adapters that allow Nikon and Canon bodies to accept Canon and Nikon lenses is the way to go - opens-up the best of both worlds in lenses, as it would seem that brand each has its stronger and weaker performers.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182529\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ford/Chevy
Chevy/Mopar
Mopar/Ford
Whoops...AutoUnion/Ford

Ray

« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2008, 05:51:43 am »

Ford/Chevy
Chevy/Mopar
Mopar/Ford
Whoops...AutoUnion/Ford
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182605\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What have cars got to do with this? Is there anyone here who chooses cameras using similar criteria to choosing cars? Is there anyone here who feels locked in to buying Chevies because they have a lot of expensive accessories that won't work with another brand of car?

What point are you trying to make?

Ray

« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2008, 06:06:43 am »

Ray, there's more to it than that. It has a number of unique features of great appeal to photographers - things that Canon could have already done if they really had a corporate culture of listening to customers.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182529\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Okay, Mark. You've got me curious   . As an exercise in objectivity (if nothing else), could you please list all the really useful features the D3 has which the 1Ds3 lacks.

I recently bought a Canon 40D which I didn't really need, and I'm a bit ashamed of myself for caving in to the seduction of a bargain price. I rationalize to myself that at least it has a faster frame rate than my 5D and a LiveView feature which allows for more accurate manual focussing, if needed, and it sure is needed if one's lens has an autofocus problem and requires calibration.

The marginally larger LCD panel is hardly worth mentioning and a re-organisation of the menu is not a major issue.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2008, 07:24:45 am »

Hi Ray, as I wrote that I thought you'd ask - and you did   ; the bet and shortest response is to refer you to stuff Michael has written about the D3 and D300 on this site. Three distinctive features which come to mind are the auto-adjusting ISO, the easier route to mirror lock-up and the very high ISO (with surprisingly clean results at those levels of sensitivity).

As for the 40D, of course it's always good to have a second body for insurance, and the higher frame rate could make it particularly suitable for some kinds of work, but that 5D remains a very fine camera. From what I've seen of it, unless one really wants more MP or those added features of the newer models, it's still a keeper.

NikosR

• http://
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2008, 07:57:53 am »

and the very high ISO (with surprisingly clean results at those levels of sensitivity).

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182671\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Oh NO!   You did it. You mentioned D3 and High ISO in the same paragraph in a response to Ray. Now you have it coming. There we go (again...) I'm counting seconds
Nikos

Ray

« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2008, 08:04:27 am »

Three distinctive features which come to mind are the auto-adjusting ISO, the easier route to mirror lock-up and the very high ISO (with surprisingly clean results at those levels of sensitivity).

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182671\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Mark. All those features are an improvement and worthwhile. I don't want to create the impression I have any prejuduce against Nikon. I don't.

However, the bottom line for me is, how significant are those features in capturing a specific image. Could one attest, for example, that a particular image was only possible because of the auto-adjusting ISO of the D3?

Could one assert that, 'sorry this image is not quite as sharp as it should be because I didn't have the easy access to MLU that the D3 has"?

I agree that the D3 has an undeniable noise advantage at high ISO (compared with the 5D). I just happen to believe it's fairly small, because I've seen no results to the contrary.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 08:06:07 am by Ray »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2008, 08:22:46 am »

Ray, I think you're looking at it in the right way - what counts in a decision is the importance of the new stuff to the decision-maker - not simply the fact that it's new stuff.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2008, 08:24:48 am »

Oh NO!   You did it. You mentioned D3 and High ISO in the same paragraph in a response to Ray. Now you have it coming. There we go (again...) I'm counting seconds
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182678\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

And what's the issue here? Did I say anything wrong? My 1Ds3 has a high ISO of 3200 and the D3 can be pushed up to 25,000. That's just a matter of specs. I didn't say how well each performs when pushed - that would require the kind of testing I can't do because I don't own a D3.

NikosR

« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2008, 11:33:35 am »

And what's the issue here? Did I say anything wrong? My 1Ds3 has a high ISO of 3200 and the D3 can be pushed up to 25,000. That's just a matter of specs. I didn't say how well each performs when pushed - that would require the kind of testing I can't do because I don't own a D3.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182683\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Attempting to explain a joke is worse than making an ineffective joke in the first place. Suffice to say I should have stressed the word 'Ray' in my post
Nikos

Ray

« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2008, 11:48:06 am »

Attempting to explain a joke is worse than making an ineffective joke in the first place. Suffice to say I should have stressed the word 'Ray' in my post
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182728\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm not a joke. All my comments are based on evidence. Prove me wrong with sound evidence and I'll retract any of my relevant statements.

NikosR

« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2008, 11:56:41 am »

I'm not a joke. All my comments are based on evidence. Prove me wrong with sound evidence and I'll retract any of my relevant statements.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182733\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I refered to MY comment as a joke. I don't consider you to be a joke, just a bit obsessed in repeating the same or similar comments in a multitude of threads every time opportunity arises. I thought that MarkDS gave you that opportunity, hence my joke.

PS. I would have said the same if Albert Einstein was repeating his theories in here in every relevent or irrelevant thread he could find.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 12:05:54 pm by NikosR »
Nikos

Ray

« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2008, 12:05:41 pm »

I refered to MY comment as a joke. I don't consider you to be a joke, just a bit obsessed in repeating the same or similar comments in a multitude of threads every time opportunity arises. I thought that MarkDS gave you that opportunity, hence my joke.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182736\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Okay! Apology accepted. There's one very simple way to shut me up on this issue. Do the tests and prove me wrong.

NikosR

« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2008, 12:12:48 pm »

Okay! Apology accepted. There's one very simple way to shut me up on this issue. Do the tests and prove me wrong.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182737\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Why don't you get yourself a D3, do any tests you want to do and prove it to yourself one way or the other. Then sell the camera. The costs you will incure will be insignificant compared to the fact that you will have satisfied your curiosity and solved you life dilemma.

Nikos

Ray

« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2008, 12:29:55 pm »

Why don't you get yourself a D3, do any tests you want to do and prove it to yourself one way or the other. Then sell the camera. The costs you will incure will be insignificant compared to the fact that you will have satisfied your curiosity and solved you life dilemma.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182740\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hey! I'm not that obsessed. Do you think I'm a freak? I have enough work testing my current Canon equipment. I already have two lenses in for calibration because they are either not sharp or not autofocussing properly.

NikosR

« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2008, 12:32:50 pm »

Hey! I'm not that obsessed. Do you think I'm a freak? I have enough work testing my current Canon equipment. I already have two lenses in for calibration because they are either not sharp or not autofocussing properly.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182745\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ah! A D3 (as well as Pro Canon cams) would solve the AF issue in the most part with their AF calibation feature
Nikos

Ray

« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2008, 12:37:51 pm »

Ah! A D3 (as well as Pro Canon cams) would solve the AF issue in the most part with their AF calibation feature
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182747\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

True! But you have to have lenese to calibrate in the first place. I've got no Nikkkor lenses. When (if) my adaptor arrives, I'll get at least one Nikkor lens, and that lens will not need calibrating because autofocus will not apply.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 12:48:12 pm by Ray »

CVYE

« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2008, 02:32:45 pm »

True! But you have to have lenese to calibrate in the first place. I've got no Nikkkor lenses. When (if) my adaptor arrives, I'll get at least one Nikkor lens, and that lens will not need calibrating because autofocus will not apply.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182748\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

How about you guys get your own thread ... I just want to know if this adaptor actually exists, and if anyone has one...

sojournerphoto

« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2008, 04:14:41 pm »

How about you guys get your own thread ... I just want to know if this adaptor actually exists, and if anyone has one...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182772\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You need to email or call Mark at 16-9.net - he is the man who made it possible.

Mike
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up