Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Ads on site  (Read 15080 times)

Kenneth Sky

• http://
Ads on site
« on: September 06, 2007, 09:29:01 pm »

Michael
God for you. Good for us. So long as the ads don't occupy a lot of real estate and become distracting. We all benefit. More revenue should translate into an even better site. We're all big children and the ad is modest by internet standards.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
Ads on site
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 11:59:17 pm »

Uhhh....pass the bottle man...no ads here  

Rob C

Ads on site
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 05:00:45 am »

Ads? Let me see, no, can´t quite see them yet - better get this monitor calibrated properly.

Rob C

Provokot

• http://www.pauldaveycreative.co.uk
Ads on site
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 05:07:35 am »

I think the ad is splendid if it adds to the LL coffers... BUT: Please can you have the B&H site open in a new window?

Giedo

Ads on site
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 05:14:36 am »

I think Michael made a great deal. But I'm not so sure if B&H will be happy with the amount of traffic this banner will generate. The design of the home page is such that (speeking for myself) one rarely visits the bottom of the page (where the banner is). I think I did not scroll down all the way to the bottom for at least half a year. And I visit the site almost everyday.

Anyway, I agree with michael that a large retailer such as B&H won't influence the content of the site.
Giedo

Gary Ferguson

• http://
Ads on site
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 06:13:17 am »

Good decision. Anything that helps secure the site's future is a positive development.

michael

Ads on site
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 07:25:40 am »

Thanks for the feedback. I'm pleased that it's mostly positive. I'll see about changing it to open a new window.

Also, it's my intention to keep the ad small and unobtrusive, but I will experiment with other placements.

Cheers,

Michael

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
Ads on site
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 07:46:03 am »

That's not an ad guys, that's a banner.

This is an ad: http://www.v7n.com/forums/coding-forum/302...-vbulletin.html

And yeah - no one is going to notice a small banner at the bottom of your main page, which no one scrolls to more than once
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 07:47:22 am by kaelaria »

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Ads on site
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 08:11:33 am »

It would be great if you could put all ads in a subfolder called something like "ads".

dilip

Ads on site
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2007, 09:07:53 am »

It would be great if you could put all ads in a subfolder called something like "ads".
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=137866\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

that would make it easier for someone to block, thus defeating the purpose of the ad, and reducing his revenues.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Ads on site
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2007, 09:12:47 am »

that would make it easier for someone to block, thus defeating the purpose of the ad, and reducing his revenues.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[a href=\"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vidkun_Quisling]Precisely[/url]. Well almost - it would make it easier for us readers who would block them anyway, so no effect on revenues, and easier for Michael to administer.

framah

Ads on site
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2007, 10:09:12 am »

On the picture framers grumble website, the supporters ad is at the top of the page. On here it could be next to the Invision block.

It would show up on every page and yet be out of the way. I agree with you that it is needed and B&H is the best out there. Alot of us on here already use B&H so going to them thru your site is a plus for sure.

Of course, doing that means I can't get the NAPP discount when going to B&H thru that site.  That's ok tho... I'd rather help support this site.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Ads on site
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2007, 10:26:28 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=137869\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Those people who block ads (like me) wouldn't use the ad's service anyway, as they tend to ignore ads. So there's no appreciable loss in revenues, and a (admittedly modest) saving in bandwidth - which I believe is paid by B&H or the ad distributor.

I personally prefer google's text ads, which are unobtrusive and relevant. I quite often click on google search's ads for the latter reason - something I never do with banner ads even when they creep through my ad blocker. For this reason Michael might want to look into that as a potential revenue source as well.

FWIW, I'll make sure to click on that ad before I order from B&H, as that's an easy way to support LL.

Hank

Ads on site
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2007, 10:45:36 am »

Ads are fine if they're static.  Make em bounce, flash, move or otherwise distract, and I'll add the company to my list of desperate losers never to be patronized.  Won't do you or them any good.  Who needs to do commerce with a company that resorts to such childish and invasive tactics?

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
Ads on site
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2007, 11:34:15 am »

Ads are fine if they're static. Make em bounce, flash, move or otherwise distract, and I'll add the company to my list of desperate losers never to be patronized.

I was going to say exactly that (with strong feelings on the subject!) but Hank beat me to it.

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

Rob C

Ads on site
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2007, 12:01:01 pm »

Life is expensive; but also, there´s no free lunch.

Rob C

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Ads on site
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2007, 12:12:27 pm »

No one's saying don't put ads on - just make it easy for some readers to avoid seeing them, and easy for yourself to manage them. If not, we will just waste a bit more time blocking them individually and Michael will spend more valuable time managing them.

Once they're easy to block - sorry manage - I couldn't care less if Michael displayed all sorts of gruesome ads to those who see ads as a price worth paying. See if you are still happy with lunch.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 02:33:54 pm by johnbeardy »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Ads on site
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2007, 01:39:47 pm »

Of course, doing that means I can't get the NAPP discount when going to B&H thru that site.  That's ok tho... I'd rather help support this site.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=137875\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm a NAPP member also, and my understanding is that we get whatever discounts B&H offers NAPP members regardless of how we get onto the B&H site. Is this incorrect?
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

KMOlender

Ads on site
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2007, 02:23:18 pm »

Since the B&H banner is now between the LLVJ banner and the "Visit our store to place your secure order", it's a bit ambiguous as to which store "our store" refers to.    It's physically next to the B&H banner.  "Vist the LLVJ Store..." might be better wording with the current arrangement.  Or move the B&H section to the far right.
Kurt O.

Rob C

Ads on site
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2007, 02:54:13 pm »

No one's saying don't put ads on - just make it easy for some readers to avoid seeing them, and easy for yourself to manage them. If not, we will just waste a bit more time blocking them individually and Michael will spend more valuable time managing them.

Once they're easy to block - sorry manage - I couldn't care less if Michael displayed all sorts of gruesome ads to those who see ads as a price worth paying. See if you are still happy with lunch.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=137907\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

John, whether I´m happy with lunch or not, it still has to be paid for on my account or on somebody else´s.

For myself, I navigate very rapidly to What´s New and if nothing is, move right on over to these pages here. Clearly, I wasn´t even aware any ads were running; even if I was, so what - not my website, is it? Kind of presumptuous of any of us to suggest that our host take advice from us on how his site be run...

Ciao - Rob C
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up