Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 153   Go Down

Author Topic: Promising New Coronavirus Vaccine  (Read 107922 times)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: Promising New Coronavirus Vaccine
« Reply #1940 on: September 23, 2021, 09:08:32 am »

It’s hard to keep adjusting your risk calculations. So if you’d hoped to avoid getting sick at all, even slightly, it may be time for a “reset,” Duchin said. This isn’t to be alarmist but a reminder to clear away expectations that covid is out of your life, and stay vigilant about commonsense precautions.

Well, my wife and I have stopped disinfecting food from the supermarket.  But now we have a gnat or fruit fly problem.  :)  At least they don't bite.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #1941 on: September 23, 2021, 10:34:35 am »

The goal is to draw one or more parties into a circular and endlessly repetitive argument and then attempt to drag you thru a series of diversionary rabbit holes. It's exhausting for those that are engaged in it and a source of endless delight for the originator of the game.

Which is why, exasperated, I called Alan either the most skilled troll on Lula, or something much less complimentary.

“Despicable” or not, I’m not condoning my outburst, simply explaining its source.

Manoli

« Reply #1942 on: September 23, 2021, 01:17:43 pm »

The full quote from the article you linked to is

There was so much initial euphoria about how well these vaccines work,” said Dr. Jeff Duchin, an infectious-disease physician and the public health officer for Seattle and King County. “I think we — in the public health community, in the medical community — facilitated the impression that these vaccines are bulletproof.  It’s hard to keep adjusting your risk calculations. So if you’d hoped to avoid getting sick at all, even slightly, it may be time for a “reset”. This isn’t to be alarmist but a reminder to clear away expectations that covid is out of your life, and stay vigilant about commonsense precautions.“

Many average people believed him and similar claims from other experts in the field.

So it raises the question if so many people believed him, why didn’t you ?
Rhetorical question, we know the answer.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 12:20:31 am by Manoli »

JoeKitchen

« Reply #1943 on: September 23, 2021, 01:39:58 pm »

Get the popcorn ready; "The Vaccine Mandate Show" is about to get interesting!

BLM organizer says de Blasio vaccine mandate weaponized against black community

“Seventy-two percent of black people in this city from ages 18 to 44 are unvaccinated ," Chivona Newsome said during a Monday protest in New York City. "So what is going to stop the Gestapo, I mean the NYPD, from rounding up black people, from snatching them off the train, off the bus? ... We’re putting this city on notice that your mandate will not be another racist social distance practice. Black people are not going to stand by, or you will see another uprising . And that is not a threat. That is a promise,” she said. “The vaccination passport is not a free passport to racism.”

If only this was something that could be foreseen as happening.   ;)
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

TechTalk

« Reply #1944 on: September 23, 2021, 02:04:11 pm »

In right-wing media circles, it may be popcorn worthy entertainment to watch people resisting vaccination and other efforts to rein in a deadly pandemic. To others, maybe not so much.

I'm more interested in watching efforts to bring sound public health information and advice to the general public.
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

JoeKitchen

« Reply #1945 on: September 23, 2021, 03:23:30 pm »

In right-wing media circles, it may be popcorn worthy entertainment to watch people resisting vaccination and other efforts to rein in a deadly pandemic. To others, maybe not so much.

I'm more interested in watching efforts to bring sound public health information and advice to the general public.

There is a very big difference in human reaction in using "efforts to bring sound public health information and advice to the general public" to try and guide people in taking the vaccines vs. mandating, with malice ("our patience is running thin), a relatively new vaccine that many happen to be late bloomers on accepting.  The former is likely, albeit more gradually then the early bloomers would want, bring people into the fold, whereas the latter, something you winked and nodded in favor of, strengthens their resolve to not get it. 

Now the entertaining part is that so many on the left, as always, completely ignored the reality of what this was going to do and put themselves in between a rock and a hard place, which they are going to find very difficult to get out of.  You have on one hand the false notion, propagated by the left, that any neutrally applied mandate that effects minorities more then whites, which this does, is inherently racist.  Then, on the other, the false notion that unvaccinated people are far right Trump rubes and this will be great punishment for them, which is so popular amongst malignant white progressives and why they are in favor of it. 

All of this was perfectly foreseen, but they went ahead with it anyway instead of doing the smart thing and ignore the small calls for a mandate.  Now, though, they have people ginned up, and it is going to be hard to backtrack, but equally hard to stay course.  The fallout should be fun to watch, but hopefully the show is rather short, and by that I mean hopefully the left stops it with this BS. 

Businesses are not allowing for weekly tests, like Biden said they could, since it just cost too much money and going straight to vaccine requirements.  However, recent polling shows that 84% of the unvaccinated will just quit instead of getting the Fauci Ouchie, and they are already doing so.  This will not be good for the overall economy. 

PS. even in the medical field, there is strong vaccine hesitancy.  Some states, like Ohio, are predicting up to 30% of nurses quitting over this.  A hospital in a NYC suburb had to close down its maternity ward due to nurses walking out over the mandate. 
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 03:40:52 pm by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

TechTalk

« Reply #1946 on: September 23, 2021, 03:45:53 pm »

OK. If that's how you see it, you're naturally entitled to your view.

There's still no other way to control or reduce the: continued spread; subsequent evolution of potentially even more dangerous variants; hospitalizations; medical capacity overload; and needless deaths except by vaccination and common sense public health measures.

The best alternative to mandates is common sense. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be enough to go around.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 08:13:06 pm by TechTalk »

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #1947 on: September 23, 2021, 05:22:06 pm »

Then, on the other, the false notion that unvaccinated people are far right Trump rubes and this will be great punishment for them, which is so popular amongst malignant white progressives and why they are in favor of it. 

But they *ARE* Trump rubes.

https://www.coloradohealthinstitute.org/blog/data-show-politics-has-become-powerful-driver-vaccine-hesitancy

I think that any willfully unvaccinated covid patient should be at the very bottom of the list for medical care. Kick 'em out of the ICU if needed, and make them pay every penny of their costs out of their own pocket. A 40+ year old Alabama man with cardiac problems died because 43 hospitals had no space for him due to unvaxxed covid patients. Way to go, you vile assholes.

TechTalk

« Reply #1948 on: September 23, 2021, 06:02:14 pm »

So, you think there might be a hidden connection between the states with the lowest vaccination rate (Idaho, Louisiana, North Dakota, Mississippi, Alabama, Wyoming)? Careful now Peter or you're going to be labeled as one of those "malignant white progressives" Joe's looking to expose.

I can't put my finger on it; but there may have been some slight ringing sound of a politically motivated attack in his post. Then again, maybe it's just my tinnitus.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #1949 on: September 23, 2021, 07:10:31 pm »

The history since December 2019 is one of record and really not open to debate.

This is a succinct and (as far as I can tell) accurate summary of what anyone paying reasonable attention should have understood all along.

TechTalk

« Reply #1950 on: September 24, 2021, 12:00:04 am »

From a different thread at a different time, but it may, or may not, offer some insight...

I didn't think you would take a portion of a quote I made a year ago out of context about something else in order to smear me.

Are you comfortable sitting on that high horse? The saddle can be pretty slippery. You want to make sure that you don't lose your balance.

I indicated that it was out of context. Your words were accurately quoted, however. The schmear on that bagel was your own recipe.

That was a cheap stunt.

Why over pay?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 12:13:36 am by TechTalk »

TechTalk

« Reply #1951 on: September 24, 2021, 12:23:23 am »

A 40+ year old Alabama man with cardiac problems died because 43 hospitals had no space for him due to unvaxxed covid patients.

My initial impression was that you were using hypothetical hyperbole. It's true!

https://www.npr.org/2021/09/13/A Man Died After Being Turned Away From 43 ICUs At Capacity Due To COVID

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #1952 on: September 24, 2021, 08:29:16 am »

Michael Flynn said that covid vaccine is being added to the salad dressing.

Michael Flynn, the former national security advisor under Donald Trump, claimed during an appearance on a conservative radio program that COVID vaccines were being added to salad dressing.

Speaking about salads, a few days before Flynn’s interview, University of California-Riverside announced a research program would attempt to “turn edible plants like lettuce into mRNA vaccine factories.”

“The project’s goals, made possible by a $500,000 grant from the National Science Foundation, are threefold: showing that DNA containing the mRNA vaccines can be successfully delivered into the part of plant cells where it will replicate, demonstrating the plants can produce enough mRNA to rival a traditional shot, and finally, determining the right dosage,” the release states.

The study is currently looking into using lettuce and spinach for the process. The key to making it work will be chloroplasts, which converts sunlight into energy for plants.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/michael-flynn-claims-salad-dressing-is-being-infused-with-covid-vaccine/ar-AAOKpRF?ocid=iehp&li=AAggNb9

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #1953 on: September 24, 2021, 08:45:46 am »

Michael Flynn said that covid vaccine is being added to the salad dressing.

The best and the brightest in high office.
--
Robert

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #1954 on: September 24, 2021, 08:49:58 am »

With respect to vaccine mandates, an idea I came across elsewhere was to take a page out of Texas's anti-abortion legislation. Just enable citizens anywhere using a $10,000 encouragement bounty to launch lawsuits against people who are not vaccinated. Write the legislation so that there can be multiple lawsuits from private individuals who were not anywhere near the site of the "infraction" and add the stipulation that even if that unvaccinated person wins the lawsuit, they are NOT permitted to sue the plaintiffs for costs. SCOTUS is already on board so there's one less hurdle already.
--
Robert

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #1955 on: September 24, 2021, 09:08:05 am »

Congratulations to Canada for doing so well in its vaccination progress. Canadian citizens fully vaccinated has reached just over 70%. There are only two states in the U.S. (Rhode Island and Vermont) plus the District of Columbia that have managed to get above 70% as of today.

The U.S. stands now at just over 55% fully vaccinated, with several states at 45% or below (Idaho, Louisiana, North Dakota, Mississippi, Alabama, Wyoming) at present.

The difference in the per capita death rate for the U.S. and its neighbor to the North is more than disappointing. The per capita death rate averaged over the past 7 days is about 7x higher in the U.S. than Canada. — it's shocking!

Canada in comparison to USA is doing OK, but unfortunately the situation in the province of Alberta is critical. Almost all recent deaths occurred there.

All of Alberta’s recent COVID-19 ICU admissions and the majority of the deaths reported in the province this week had no vaccine protection at all, according to chief medical officer of health Dr. Deena Hinshaw.
“One hundred per cent of new ICU admissions were in Albertans who did not have any vaccine protection,” she said in Thursday’s COVID-19 update.

According to Dr. Verna Yiu, president and CEO of Alberta Health Services, that’s 45 people in the last two days. In the last five days, an average of more than 23 people have been admitted to Alberta’s ICUs each day.
“It’s tragic that we are only able to keep pace with some of these sort of numbers because, in part, some of our ICU patients have passed away.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8215655/alberta-coronavirus-update-september-23-2021/

James Clark

« Reply #1956 on: September 24, 2021, 09:21:53 am »

Careful now Peter or you're going to be labeled as one of those "malignant white progressives" Joe's looking to expose.

To be fair, malignant white progressives have been pretty blasé about being exposed ever since women first got the right to vote, and then were allowed to qualify for credit without their husbands approval. After that it was a short jump to the inevitability of the plot's final resolution - Getting AOC into the Oval Office where she will mandate Critical Race Theory and demand that businesses fire all white men.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #1957 on: September 24, 2021, 09:25:29 am »

Canada in comparison to USA is doing OK, but unfortunately the situation in the province of Alberta is critical. Almost all recent deaths occurred there.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8215655/alberta-coronavirus-update-september-23-2021/

Alberta infection and deaths rates have often been very close to Ontario's, which should have raised eyebrows all round given the difference in population (4.5 million in Alberta vs 15 million in Ontario).
--
Robert

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #1958 on: September 24, 2021, 10:34:02 am »

Alberta infection and deaths rates have often been very close to Ontario's, which should have raised eyebrows all round given the difference in population (4.5 million in Alberta vs 15 million in Ontario).

Alberta is a mess thanks to its right-wing premier and other factors. A good friend of ours, a physician, works there and we have had reports.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #1959 on: September 24, 2021, 10:42:08 am »

Alberta is a mess thanks to its right-wing premier and other factors. A good friend of ours, a physician, works there and we have had reports.

It often seemed to me that I'd read reports about the "economy" re-opening in Alberta when it seemed pretty risky to do so. As has been said many times on these pages, how does an economy recover if large numbers of people are getting sick and attending funerals. I realize I'm being hyperbolic, but what's the point of giving the signal that it's safe to "open up" when infection rates are rising. What did they think was going to happen?

--
Robert
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 153   Go Up