Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 153   Go Down

Author Topic: Promising New Coronavirus Vaccine  (Read 107022 times)

TechTalk

Re: Promising New Coronavirus Vaccine
« Reply #400 on: March 12, 2021, 04:34:25 pm »

With all this talk about herds, I think I'm going to Bar B Q steak tonight for dinner.

That's one way to forget about making a ridiculous false accusation.
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #401 on: March 12, 2021, 05:25:00 pm »

With all this talk about herds, I think I'm going to Bar B Q steak tonight for dinner.

Much healthier than a pizza.

TechTalk

« Reply #402 on: March 12, 2021, 06:00:23 pm »

On the plus side for those doubters of the possibility of herd immunity and who only trust the experts, Fauci has just announced that he believes America will reach herd immunity by the end of August or early Fall.  I didn't hear his usual qualification, "...it's most likely...", so that is a good sign some of us might actually see the end of the year.  :)

https://www.whitehouse.gov/2021/03/10/press-briefing-by-white-house-covid-19-response-team

DR. FAUCI: We anticipate — and again, it’s purely a speculation — that the herd immunity level will be about 70 to 85 percent.  And that’s the time that we believe, if you look at the planned rollout of the vaccines, that we would hopefully get to that point somewhere by the end of the summer and the early fall.

You’re absolutely correct: If a significant number of people do not get vaccinated, then that would — that would delay where we would get to that endpoint, which is the reason that I underscore what Dr. Walensky said about the importance, in every aspect of what we do, of getting more people vaccinated — just as many people as we possibly can.

I want to also mention that we don’t want to get too hung up on reaching this endgame of herd immunity because every day that you put 2 million to 3 million vaccinations into people makes society be more and more protected.  So you don’t have to wait until you get full herd immunity to get a really profound effect on what you could do.

For example, as Dr. Walensky said, she keeps her eye on that very carefully as they reevaluate the guidelines, so you can get 20, 30, 40, 50 percent of the people vaccinated and not yet quite meet the empiric number that we’re talking about and still get a very favorable effect from vaccines.

DR. WALENSKY:  Maybe I’ll just add that the point of — incredibly important that these are local rates as well, so if you have a population rate that is 85 percent protected across the country but a community that’s only 50 percent protected, you can have outbreaks in that community.  And so really we need this level of protection pervasive across all communities across the country.

TechTalk

« Reply #403 on: March 12, 2021, 07:33:26 pm »

Just to add to this, that is a 1 in 6250 odds of dying from C-19 if you under 55, being beat out by such things as:

Being a Pedestrian, 1/610
Being in a Car or other vehicle, 1/242
Off-roading, 1/4993
Falling out of bed, chair, or some other piece of furniture, 1/5508
Firearms, 1/4613
Chocking to death on food, 1/4812

There are plenty of more. 

https://danger.mongabay.com/injury_death.htm

I've been waiting for Joe to come back and further educate us on which items in his list are contagious and have been shown to increase exponentially in a short period of time.

CDC Monthly Death Statistics - 2020

February 2020: Deaths Caused by Accident this Month = 14,446 / Deaths Caused by COVID-19 this Month = 15

March 2020: Deaths Caused by Accident this Month = 15,379 / Deaths Caused by COVID-19 this Month = 6,705

April 2020: Deaths Caused by Accident this Month = 15,371 / Deaths Caused by COVID-19 this Month = 61,713

* Deaths for COVID-19 uses statistics where COVID-19 is the sole cause of death listed. Statistics for COVID-19 with multiple cause of death listed is slightly higher and not included above.

** The current vaccines will hopefully not only reduce the number of deaths and serious illness, but may also reduce transmission. The new J&J vaccine has important advantages in that it can be easily stored and transported at normal refrigeration temperatures and requires only one dose, making it easier to vaccinate populations that are more remote or have less access to standard medical care for other reasons.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/covid-19-vaccines-may-help-stop-virus-transmission-heres-what-we-know
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 06:21:14 pm by TechTalk »

jeremyrh

« Reply #404 on: March 13, 2021, 04:25:46 am »

I've been waiting for Joe to come back and further educate us on which items in his list are contagious and have been shown to increase exponentially in a short period of time.

CDC Monthly Death Statistics - 2020

February 2020: Deaths Caused by Accident this Month = 14,446 / Deaths Caused by COVID-19 this Month = 15

March 2020: Deaths Caused by Accident this Month = 15,379 / Deaths Caused by COVID-19 this Month = 6,705

April 2020: Deaths Caused by Accident this Month = 15,371 / Deaths Caused by COVID-19 this Month = 61,713

* Deaths for COVID-19 uses statistics where COVID-19 is the sole cause of death listed. Statistics for COVID-19 with multiple cause of death listed is slightly higher and not included above.

I think to be fair that Joe walked back from that comparison.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #405 on: March 13, 2021, 05:40:21 am »

From the Economist magazine:

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2021/03/13/our-covid-19-model-estimates-odds-of-hospitalisation-and-death

"Death rates depend mostly on age, whereas comorbidities sharply raise chances of hospitalisation in young people"

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #406 on: March 13, 2021, 05:47:41 am »

... increase exponentially in a short period of time...

Who cares?

When you are dead, you are dead, who cares whether the car that killed you was speeding exponentially? It is the risk that matters, not the particular qualifiers of that risk.

Besides, covid is a one-time event, lasting a year or two, while accidents and other cause happen every year, year after year.

jeremyrh

« Reply #407 on: March 13, 2021, 08:45:07 am »

Who cares?

When you are dead, you are dead, who cares whether the car that killed you was speeding exponentially? It is the risk that matters, not the particular qualifiers of that risk.

Besides, covid is a one-time event, lasting a year or two, while accidents and other cause happen every year, year after year.

That's a lot of points to miss in such a short post!

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #408 on: March 13, 2021, 11:21:45 am »

Who cares?

Unfortunately, Covid is not a one-time event. It could take years to completely eradicate it.
A car accident doesn't spread onto other roads and countries, whereas a single case of covid can keep propagating for infinite amount of time in all directions.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #409 on: March 13, 2021, 11:33:32 am »

Unfortunately, Covid is not a one-time event. It could take years to completely eradicate it.
A car accident doesn't spread onto other roads and countries, whereas a single case of covid can keep propagating for infinite amount of time in all directions.
Of course, China could start another one too.

jeremyrh

« Reply #410 on: March 13, 2021, 11:35:19 am »

As could the US. Your point being?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #411 on: March 13, 2021, 11:37:08 am »

As could the US. Your point being?
But American didn;t start this one.  China did.  It's worked so well, they may do it again. 

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #412 on: March 13, 2021, 11:39:41 am »

Why to start another one if the first one works so well?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #413 on: March 13, 2021, 11:58:25 am »

Why to start another one if the first one works so well?
I agree.  They won't need too.

faberryman

« Reply #414 on: March 13, 2021, 12:02:40 pm »

But American didn;t start this one.  China did.  It's worked so well, they may do it again.

When you say "they", do you mean the communist bats and pangolins?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 12:23:48 pm by faberryman »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #415 on: March 13, 2021, 12:04:48 pm »

When you say "they", do you mean the communists bat and pangolins?
We've argued that before.  Enough already.

jeremyrh

« Reply #416 on: March 13, 2021, 12:07:59 pm »

If you keep saying silly things, people will keep calling you out on them. Simples.

faberryman

« Reply #417 on: March 13, 2021, 12:18:09 pm »

I don't believe we have ever engaged in a discussion about Chinese bats and pangolins, except you said a couple of times that the Chinese created the COVID virus in a lab and deliberately spread it throughout the world to extend their political and economic hegemony, because former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said so based on super secret investigation reports he carries around with him in his briefcase which no one is allowed to see. Maybe Tucker Carlson said it too. If Tucker Carlson said it, Sean Hannity, Laura Ingraham, and Lou Dobbs probably said it too. And then everyone on the fair and balanced news staff at Fox News reported that they said it as if it were a news story.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 12:22:49 pm by faberryman »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #418 on: March 13, 2021, 01:25:30 pm »

I don't believe we have ever engaged in a discussion about Chinese bats and pangolins, except you said a couple of times that the Chinese created the COVID virus in a lab and deliberately spread it throughout the world to extend their political and economic hegemony, because former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said so based on super secret investigation reports he carries around with him in his briefcase which no one is allowed to see. Maybe Tucker Carlson said it too. If Tucker Carlson said it, Sean Hannity, Laura Ingraham, and Lou Dobbs probably said it too. And then everyone on the fair and balanced news staff at Fox News reported that they said it as if it were a news story.
You're being naive.

faberryman

« Reply #419 on: March 13, 2021, 01:33:01 pm »

You're being naive.

So I guess that means you got nothing.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 153   Go Up