Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 153   Go Down

Author Topic: Promising New Coronavirus Vaccine  (Read 107125 times)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: Promising New Coronavirus Vaccine
« Reply #180 on: March 04, 2021, 11:22:37 am »

If you are for continuing to wear a mask until the day you die, go for it.  I'm not. 

Even if you told me that I would live for 5 more years if I wore a mask, guaranteed, I would still choose not to.  I am not going to destroy my humanity by covering half my face, and the half that smiles non-the-less.  What a pathetic world it would be to never see a smile again. 
You could take up bank robbing. 

JoeKitchen

« Reply #181 on: March 04, 2021, 11:31:59 am »

You could take up bank robbing.

Actually, I prefer lemon juice!

“I Wore the Juice”- The Dunning-Kruger Effect

Not going to lie, I would love to see that polaroid. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #182 on: March 04, 2021, 11:36:34 am »

The problem with Fauci is he speaks like a politician.  He not direct.  He couches his remarks in weasel words like "..it's most likely..."  ...

"...it's most likely" is a political weasel word?  Sometimes all we have are probabilities, not certainties, is this really so difficult to understand.
--
Robert

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #183 on: March 04, 2021, 11:38:37 am »

Yeah, and now "experts" are calling for us to wear mask every flu season. 

Maybe some are, but others are not. The jury is out on how the tail end of the pandemic will proceed.
--
Robert

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #184 on: March 04, 2021, 11:39:51 am »

...  I am not going to destroy my humanity by covering half my face ...

That might be a little over the top.
--
Robert

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #185 on: March 04, 2021, 11:43:48 am »

Actually, I prefer lemon juice!

“I Wore the Juice”- The Dunning-Kruger Effect

Not going to lie, I would love to see that polaroid. 
He probably forgot to pull the polaroid tab. 

TechTalk

« Reply #186 on: March 04, 2021, 11:46:49 am »

Merck Will Help Manufacture Johnson & Johnson's COVID-19 Vaccine

https://www.npr.org/coronavirus-live-updates/2021/03/02/merck-will-help-manufacture-johnson-johnsons-covid-19-vaccine

Pharmaceutical giant Merck will help manufacture Johnson & Johnson's COVID-19 vaccine, White House press secretary Jen Psaki announced Tuesday, calling it "an unprecedented historic step," considering that the two companies are normally competitors.

Merck will produce the drug substance at the heart of Johnson & Johnson's vaccine as well as work on filling vaccine vials and getting them ready for distribution.

"The U.S. government will facilitate this partnership in several key ways, including invoking the Defense Production Act to equip two Merck facilities to the standards necessary to safety manufacture the vaccine and asking the Department of Defense to provide daily logistical support to strengthen Johnson & Johnson's efforts," Psaki said during Tuesday afternoon's press briefing.

The Food and Drug Administration authorized Johnson & Johnson's vaccine for emergency use on Saturday, making it the third authorized vaccine against COVID-19 in the U.S. Unlike the other two authorized vaccines, this one requires only one dose and does not need to be kept in ultra-cold freezers, which should make distribution easier.
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #187 on: March 04, 2021, 11:53:28 am »

"...it's most likely" is a political weasel word?  Sometimes all we have are probabilities, not certainties, is this really so difficult to understand.
I understand that.  The problem is he never says anything emphatically.  If he doesn't know for sure, he should say I don't know rather than leaving it up in the air. So after you've listened to him, you're not much wiser. It's left to you to draw a conclusion. So some people who are less cautious figure heck it's OK to get rid of their masks. "Most likely" they'll be OK.   Others, more cautious, keep wearing them out of fear. "Most likely" they'll get it and die. Then the debating starts.  Interpretations multiply.  Pretty soon no one remembers what he said.  It happens all the time here in our forum regarding photography. 

JoeKitchen

« Reply #188 on: March 04, 2021, 11:54:39 am »

That might be a little over the top.

A few years back I saw a documentary on people who are born with the rare condition of not being able to control any of their facial muscles, essentially having a blank stare on their face permanently.  They lack the ability to show others what mood they are in and often are not treated as well as others, especially when young.  (On the bright side, they never develop facial wrinkles.) 

The show focused on a small girl (grade school age) with this disorder who went though surgery to give her the ability to smile.  Of all of the different types of expressions to pick, the ability to smile is what helps you the most in connecting to someone else, especially initially. 

The surgery changed her life and how she socialized at school. 

It is not an over the top statement.  Nearly all other animals show their expressions through their eyes and tails.  We smile; it's part of our humanity. 

TechTalk

« Reply #189 on: March 04, 2021, 12:07:08 pm »

Novavax expects FDA clearance for Covid vaccine as early as May, CEO says

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/01/covid-vaccine-novavax-expects-fda-clearance-for-covid-vaccine-as-early-as-may

The Food and Drug Administration could authorize Novavax’s Covid-19 vaccine for emergency use as early as May, the company’s CEO, Stanley Erck, told CNBC on Monday.

Novavax’s phase three trial in the U.S. is still ongoing, with 30,000 participants, Erck said. The company hopes the FDA will allow it to use data from its clinical trial conducted in the U.K. when it files its emergency use application later this year, he added.

In late January, Novavax released results from its phase three trial data in the U.K., showing the vaccine was 89.3% effective overall, though slightly less effective against B.1.1.7, the strain first discovered in the U.K., and B.1.351, the strain first discovered in South Africa.

The company said the vaccine was well tolerated, adding that “severe, serious, and medically attended adverse events occurred at low levels and were balanced between vaccine and placebo groups.”

U.K. health regulators will likely review the vaccine in April, followed by the FDA “probably a month after that,” he told CNBC’s “Closing Bell” in an interview.

faberryman

« Reply #190 on: March 04, 2021, 12:32:25 pm »

It is not an over the top statement.  Nearly all other animals show their expressions through their eyes and tails.  We smile; it's part of our humanity.

Smiling may be one aspect of humanity, but it's not the only one. Protecting other people from disease and/or making them feel comfortable when they are around you are aspects of humanity as well. Maybe wearing a mask during a pandemic is more a sign of your humanity than smiling at people. At least it is something to think about.

jeremyrh

« Reply #191 on: March 04, 2021, 12:58:36 pm »

We smile; it's part of our humanity.

What an old softy-pants. Whatever happened to Low-Empathy Libertard Joe ?

TechTalk

« Reply #192 on: March 04, 2021, 01:11:17 pm »

I must be posting in the wrong thread. I thought I was in the Promising New Coronavirus Vaccine thread. Apparently, this is the dental health thread.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #193 on: March 04, 2021, 01:26:25 pm »

Merck Will Help Manufacture Johnson & Johnson's COVID-19 Vaccine

https://www.npr.org/coronavirus-live-updates/2021/03/02/merck-will-help-manufacture-johnson-johnsons-covid-19-vaccine

Pharmaceutical giant Merck will help manufacture Johnson & Johnson's COVID-19 vaccine, White House press secretary Jen Psaki announced Tuesday, calling it "an unprecedented historic step," considering that the two companies are normally competitors.

Merck will produce the drug substance at the heart of Johnson & Johnson's vaccine as well as work on filling vaccine vials and getting them ready for distribution.

"The U.S. government will facilitate this partnership in several key ways, including invoking the Defense Production Act to equip two Merck facilities to the standards necessary to safety manufacture the vaccine and asking the Department of Defense to provide daily logistical support to strengthen Johnson & Johnson's efforts," Psaki said during Tuesday afternoon's press briefing.

The Food and Drug Administration authorized Johnson & Johnson's vaccine for emergency use on Saturday, making it the third authorized vaccine against COVID-19 in the U.S. Unlike the other two authorized vaccines, this one requires only one dose and does not need to be kept in ultra-cold freezers, which should make distribution easier.
Merck had received an order for millions of dollars to furnish vaccines by June from Trump under Operation Warp Speed.  But their research into vaccines failed.  It's good that they're trying to stay involved.  They're a big and good pharmaceutical company. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #194 on: March 04, 2021, 01:28:54 pm »

A few years back I saw a documentary on people who are born with the rare condition of not being able to control any of their facial muscles, essentially having a blank stare on their face permanently.  They lack the ability to show others what mood they are in and often are not treated as well as others, especially when young.  (On the bright side, they never develop facial wrinkles.) 

The show focused on a small girl (grade school age) with this disorder who went though surgery to give her the ability to smile.  Of all of the different types of expressions to pick, the ability to smile is what helps you the most in connecting to someone else, especially initially. 

The surgery changed her life and how she socialized at school. 

Sounds like Botox Nancy.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #195 on: March 04, 2021, 01:31:04 pm »

Smiling may be one aspect of humanity, but it's not the only one. Protecting other people from disease and/or making them feel comfortable when they are around you are aspects of humanity as well. Maybe wearing a mask during a pandemic is more a sign of your humanity than smiling at people. At least it is something to think about.
It's hard to flirt with a mask on. Cuomo's getting desperate.

TechTalk

« Reply #196 on: March 04, 2021, 01:47:24 pm »

Steer the thread back to the topic of “promising new coronavirus vaccine” or shuttle the overtly political to the one and only political thread.
Thanks.

Have you ever noticed that this forum is provided free of charge by someone else that's paying the cost of providing it to you?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #197 on: March 04, 2021, 01:56:41 pm »

Have you ever noticed that this forum is provided free of charge by someone else that's paying the cost of providing it to you?
No one would stay here if there wasn't a little levity.

jeremyrh

« Reply #198 on: March 04, 2021, 02:20:37 pm »

You know what they say - if you're not the client, you're the product.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #199 on: March 04, 2021, 02:35:50 pm »

What an old softy-pants. Whatever happened to Low-Empathy Libertard Joe ?

I never said I was without empathy, just without when policy decisions are being made. 

Engaging in empathy while making policies decisions often puts you in a situation where you will make concessions at the expense of others whom are not willing to do so, or even asked.  Sometimes, you make concessions at the expense of those you are trying to help, but your empathy does not allow you to see it. 
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 153   Go Up