Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 153   Go Down

Author Topic: Promising New Coronavirus Vaccine  (Read 107007 times)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: Promising New Coronavirus Vaccine
« Reply #160 on: March 03, 2021, 08:23:05 am »

Good news if you've been vaccinated.  Of course, he doesn't explain why it's unsafe to go into society the same way.  I assume that's because vaccines aren't 100% effective. 

Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation’s top infectious disease expert, said in a press conference Monday that if you — and all your guests — are vaccinated, a dinner gathering should be relatively safe.

“Small gatherings in the home, I think you can clearly feel the relative risk is so low you wouldn’t have to wear the mask,” Fauci said. “You could have a good social gathering in the home.”

But Fauci went on to clarify that a small get-together in one’s home is quite different from attending a large social gathering.

“The setting in a home of a small group of people having dinner together, all of whom are vaccinated, is very different when you step out the door and go into a society that has 70,000 new cases a day,” he said.
https://fox8.com/news/fauci-answers-can-you-have-a-dinner-party-if-youre-vaccinated/

JoeKitchen

« Reply #161 on: March 03, 2021, 08:59:50 am »

Good news if you've been vaccinated.  Of course, he doesn't explain why it's unsafe to go into society the same way.  I assume that's because vaccines aren't 100% effective. 

Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation’s top infectious disease expert, said in a press conference Monday that if you — and all your guests — are vaccinated, a dinner gathering should be relatively safe.

“Small gatherings in the home, I think you can clearly feel the relative risk is so low you wouldn’t have to wear the mask,” Fauci said. “You could have a good social gathering in the home.”

But Fauci went on to clarify that a small get-together in one’s home is quite different from attending a large social gathering.

“The setting in a home of a small group of people having dinner together, all of whom are vaccinated, is very different when you step out the door and go into a society that has 70,000 new cases a day,” he said.
https://fox8.com/news/fauci-answers-can-you-have-a-dinner-party-if-youre-vaccinated/

The Israelis have released a few studies on the vaccine and have found that the vaccine decrease morbidity by 95.8%.  Just to give you an idea of what this means, the aggregate infection fatality rate in high-income countries for the entire population is 1.15%.  By lowering this by 95.8%, the new IFR is 0.048%. 

They also have found you are 98.9% less likely to have to be hospitalized if vaccinated, and ~95% less likely to spread it if you are vaccinated, albeit that last stat is hard to determine. 

So, at this point, all of this continued fear mongering in the USA from Fauci (and others) I am writing off as some kind of continued power grab and to convince us for the need of that $1.9T "relief" package.  That or Fauci has gotten too use to his new fame and realizes as soon as this is over, he'll be forgotten like a bad joke. 

That is the only thing that makes sense right now.  There is no reason to continue this after being vaccinated, and no reason to continue this after the majority of those over 65 are. 
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 09:03:59 am by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #162 on: March 03, 2021, 09:53:21 am »

... That or Fauci has gotten too use to his new fame and realizes as soon as this is over, he'll be forgotten like a bad joke...

TechTalk

« Reply #163 on: March 03, 2021, 06:26:49 pm »

Of course, he doesn't explain why it's unsafe to go into society the same way.

He explains the difference right in the text that you quoted.
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #164 on: March 03, 2021, 11:07:55 pm »

He explains the difference right in the text that you quoted.
Fauci did not explain why someone who's been vaccinated has to worry about getting Covid in public since they have antibodies protecting them.  He only stated the venue where it would be an issue.  I assume it's because of the effectiveness of the vaccine.  So with let's say Moderna, you have a 95% protection rate.  .  Also if true, then Johnson and Johnsons is less effective.  But that's my assumption.  He never stated that.

jeremyrh

« Reply #165 on: March 04, 2021, 03:14:17 am »

Fauci did not explain why someone who's been vaccinated has to worry about getting Covid in public since they have antibodies protecting them.  He only stated the venue where it would be an issue.  I assume it's because of the effectiveness of the vaccine.  So with let's say Moderna, you have a 95% protection rate.  .  Also if true, then Johnson and Johnsons is less effective.  But that's my assumption.  He never stated that.

There's this bug going round, Alan - it's been in the news, an' everything.  The vaccine prevents you from getting sick or dying (mostly).  It doesn't necessarily protect you from carrying the virus and passing it on to other people. It potentially doesn't work so effectively on new variants that emerge in areas where there is a lot of infection. So if you have selfish oafs in a place like Texas where only 7% of people have been vaccinated, even if they themsleves have had their shots, they are running around giving the virus to others (but who cares about others, right?) and contributing to a big pool of infection where new variants will pop up and where tracking them down will be more difficult. In a state where city dwellers dress up as cowboys, looking stupid wearing a mask shouldn't be that big of an issue.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #166 on: March 04, 2021, 03:40:27 am »

...but who cares about others, right?...

Right.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #167 on: March 04, 2021, 07:32:05 am »

There's this bug going round, Alan - it's been in the news, an' everything.  The vaccine prevents you from getting sick or dying (mostly).  It doesn't necessarily protect you from carrying the virus and passing it on to other people. It potentially doesn't work so effectively on new variants that emerge in areas where there is a lot of infection. So if you have selfish oafs in a place like Texas where only 7% of people have been vaccinated, even if they themsleves have had their shots, they are running around giving the virus to others (but who cares about others, right?) and contributing to a big pool of infection where new variants will pop up and where tracking them down will be more difficult. In a state where city dwellers dress up as cowboys, looking stupid wearing a mask shouldn't be that big of an issue.

At this point in time, after all of the good news about the vaccine, if you are of the opinion that you still need to quarantine after getting vaccinated, you are either a sheep or a chicken.  I kind of feel like if Fauci told us wearing tighty-whities on our head would help stop the spread, half the country would do so. 

What is the point in living if we are to live miserable lives as hermits. 

40% of adults (56% of young adults) are now reporting symptoms of depression, up from 10% about a year ago.  13% are reporting new substance abuse issues and 11% of all adults are considering suicide. 

The Implications of COVID-19 for Mental Health and Substance Use

There is no reason to continue this after you get vaccinated, and reports from Israel are showing there really is no reason to continue this after just the elderly get vaccinated. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #168 on: March 04, 2021, 07:59:52 am »

How did you go from me asking what Fauci meant to me killing people in Texas?  By the way, do you speak for Fauci?  Are you an expert on virology?  Don't you think he should explain himself? 

The problem with Fauci is he speaks like a politician.  He not direct.  He couches his remarks in weasel words like "..it's most likely..."  He's been in the government for so long he speaks like a politician out of both sides of his mouth.  His undecidedness confuses people.  When he's done talking, you're more confused than ever. 

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #169 on: March 04, 2021, 08:04:15 am »

40% of adults (56% of young adults) are now reporting symptoms of depression, up from 10% about a year ago.  13% are reporting new substance abuse issues and 11% of all adults are considering suicide. 

One positive thing about the social restrictions and mask wearing has been a huge decline in flu cases.

As of 20 February, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has recorded just 1,499 positive flu cases since September. Around the same time last year, the CDC had already logged 174,037 positive cases of influenza.

"This is the lowest flu season we've had on record," the CDC's Lynnette Brammer told the Associated Press. This was based on the 25-year surveillance the agency has done for each flu season.

In normal years, a flu season could cause 500,000 to 600,000 hospitalisations and 50,000 to 60,000 deaths, depending on the severity of the virus that year. But the United States was seeing nowhere near the infections, hospitalisations, and deaths from influenza this current season.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-flu-number-covid-cdc-b1809609.html

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #170 on: March 04, 2021, 08:08:14 am »

One positive thing about the social restrictions and mask wearing has been a huge decline in flu cases.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-flu-number-covid-cdc-b1809609.html
I predicted this months ago.  What I also noticed is that neither my wife or I have had a cold in the past year.  Same reason.  STD's must be down as well.  :)

JoeKitchen

« Reply #171 on: March 04, 2021, 08:37:45 am »

Yeah, and now "experts" are calling for us to wear mask every flu season. 

I can remember many on the right saying this would happen, and, as usual, many liberals were like, "come on, stop it with the slippery slope stuff." 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #172 on: March 04, 2021, 08:44:48 am »

Street photography looks like hell with masks.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #173 on: March 04, 2021, 08:45:19 am »

Life is safe in a lockdown, but that is not what life is for.

(SB)

jeremyrh

« Reply #174 on: March 04, 2021, 09:10:22 am »

Yeah, and now "experts" are calling for us to wear mask every flu season. 

You're right. Some losers wash their hands every time they use the toilet! A real man isn't afraid of a bit of dysentery.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #175 on: March 04, 2021, 09:21:03 am »

This is fine - letting private enterprises and individual people in Texas make up their own minds.  We don't need the government to coerce us. 

Kroger, Costco and other big and small retailers stick with required masks
Retailers aren’t ready to expose their employees and customers to added risk while the pandemic continues.
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/retail/2021/03/03/kroger-and-other-big-and-small-retailers-stick-with-required-masks/

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #176 on: March 04, 2021, 09:40:41 am »

I predicted this months ago.  What I also noticed is that neither my wife or I have had a cold in the past year.  Same reason.  STD's must be down as well.  :)

I didn't see any stats about STD's. Does the face mask help also against those ailments?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #177 on: March 04, 2021, 09:52:15 am »

I didn't see any stats about STD's. Does the face mask help also against those ailments?
Yes.  Only if you leave it on while engaging.  Sort of like keeping your mask on in a restaurant.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #178 on: March 04, 2021, 11:02:03 am »

They figured out why America has such high Covid death rates.  We're fat! All those McDonalds, Pizzas, and Dunkin' Donuts.

Covid-19 death rates 10 times higher in countries where most adults are overweight, report finds
https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/04/health/obesity-covid-death-rate-intl/index.html

JoeKitchen

« Reply #179 on: March 04, 2021, 11:15:33 am »

You're right. Some losers wash their hands every time they use the toilet! A real man isn't afraid of a bit of dysentery.

If you are for continuing to wear a mask until the day you die, go for it.  I'm not. 

Even if you told me that I would live for 5 more years if I wore a mask, guaranteed, I would still choose not to.  I am not going to destroy my humanity by covering half my face, and the half that smiles non-the-less.  What a pathetic world it would be to never see a smile again. 
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 153   Go Up