Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Glove Recomendations  (Read 18584 times)

61Dynamic

• http://
Glove Recomendations
« on: December 19, 2006, 01:43:21 pm »

I've recently moved to a colder climate than the deserts I've previously lived and am in the market for a good pair of gloves.

What gloves do readers recommend for around 30-40 deg. F use and where can I buy them? Any particular brands/designs/materials/etc to look out for?

Mind you, I'm a complete glove noob; I've never owned a pair before and have no clue what's available.

Thanks,
Dan

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
Glove Recomendations
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 03:34:11 pm »

I've recently moved to a colder climate than the deserts I've previously lived and am in the market for a good pair of gloves.

What gloves do readers recommend for around 30-40 deg. F use and where can I buy them? Any particular brands/designs/materials/etc to look out for?

Mind you, I'm a complete glove noob; I've never owned a pair before and have no clue what's available.

Thanks,
Dan
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=91427\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I am quite happy with a set of polartec (acrylic fiber) glo-mitts and silk liners (from Campmor, Cabelas, or REI, if I recall). Very versatile.

I have tried equivalents from Smartwool - they are no warmer, less comfortable, and less durable.
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

francois

Glove Recomendations
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 03:45:29 pm »

I fully second Bob's recommendation. I use old Patagonia Capilene gloves and also from REI (can't remember the model name). When it's really cold, I put down mitts, but 30-40F is way to hot for that kind of protection!
Francois

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Glove Recomendations
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 05:18:46 pm »

You might also want to look unto Black Diamond gloves line-up. The Power Stretch might be a good candidate for your range of temperatures.

One key question though is whether you expect strong winds/rain on a regular basis or not.

- for wind, I woud look into gore wind stopper options (Black Diamond has such gloves as well),
- for rain, a Goretex XCR/eVent lining is the only really waterproof option, but those gloves typically get too bulky for easy camera operation.

Regards,
Bernard

michael

Glove Recomendations
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 05:33:10 pm »

"30-40 deg. F"

Gloves? At those temperatures you don't need no $%^$# gloves!  

-30 to -40 deg. F; then you need gloves!!

Michael

howiesmith

Glove Recomendations
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 05:54:11 pm »

"30-40 deg. F"

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=91466\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I always found gloves much more useful at +30.  AT -30 and below, I just stay in the house by the fire.  No need for gloves unless the cup gets too hot.

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
Glove Recomendations
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 06:18:11 pm »

always found gloves much more useful at +30. AT -30 and below, I just stay in the house by the fire. No need for gloves unless the cup gets too hot.

Wimp!  

A little cold never stops me.  I use the two-layer approach, with thin glove liners (silk or the like) and heavy warm mitt-style gloves over them.  The mitts come off during the minute or two I'm messing with camera buttons, then go back on between shots.

I also have a spouse to blow warm breath into the outer gloves while I'm taking the photo so they're warm when they go back on.  

I used that method when taking photos at about 15 deg F in Bryce one Christmas week, though there were occasional "warm-ups" when I had to put the outer gloves back on for a minute before finishing the picture when I couldn't feel my fingers anymore...

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
Glove Recomendations
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 06:59:21 pm »

Foxgloves Grip from Naturescapes.net.  When it gets colder I layer a pair of fingerless fleece fishing gloves over them.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Glove Recomendations
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 07:30:25 pm »

"30-40 deg. F"

That's the spirit!  Spoken like a true Canadian.

In cold weather I usually use smaller liner gloves under heavy mitts as well.  The other option, my wife's preference is to have the glove/mitt combination where the finger part of the mitt folds back over and velcros to the back of the hand.  Hunters often use that style as well.  That way your fingers are protected by the liner gloves when needed, and otherwise they're protected under the mitts.  But really at anything under about -10 deg C , gloves aren't that necessary.  Reminds me of when we went to Texas in February and the Texans were wearing parkas and the folks from Ontario were wearing T shirts and jackets...

Mike.

At -40 the biggest problem used to be keeping your film from shattering...
If your mind is attuned t

David White

Glove Recomendations
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 11:46:46 pm »

"30-40 deg. F"

Or as our esteemed governator would say - Only girlie men wear gloves at 30F.  
David White

Chris_T

Glove Recomendations
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 09:26:41 am »

I have come across liner gloves made of thermax or fleece, but never silk. Are the silk liners warmer or fit better? What brand makes them, and where can they be found?

I tried Foxgloves in a store. They fit really snuggly, and probably can allow me to turn the smallest knobs. But I think they will build up moisture and may not be too warm.

Lowepro makes photo gloves, which I have not tried.

francois

Glove Recomendations
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2006, 09:59:04 am »

I have come across liner gloves made of thermax or fleece, but never silk. Are the silk liners warmer or fit better? What brand makes them, and where can they be found?

I tried Foxgloves in a store. They fit really snuggly, and probably can allow me to turn the smallest knobs. But I think they will build up moisture and may not be too warm.

Lowepro makes photo gloves, which I have not tried.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I have a preference for silk liners but it's a matter of taste. I have no personal experience with FoxGloves. You shoulfd be able to find those liner on Amazon, REI, EMS, Campmor, Cabelas etc...

ex: [a href=\"http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp;jsessionid=YS5LHJXK5WDEICWQNWRCCOYK0BW0GIWE?id=0005263901532a&type=product&cmCat=froogle&cm_ven=data_feed&cm_cat=froogle&cm_pla=0080903&cm_ite=0005263901532a&_requestid=16986]Cabelas Silk Glove Liners[/url]
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 10:02:27 am by francois »
Francois

61Dynamic

Glove Recomendations
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2006, 10:40:13 am »

"30-40 deg. F"

Michael

lol. I guess Canadians are more hard-core than former desert dwellers. Then again, on the opposite side of things, I know some Canadians who think 80 deg. F is "hot" in mid-august.

30 deg. F is about as cold as it gets here (Sacramento area) but we are also in the path of the SanFran winds. Plus I'm near Lake Tahoe and may feel like venturing up that way. At that point I'll worry about layering gloves but nor now, I just need something light-wieght for my winter-night shooting.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations thus far. Got some shopping to do...

Peter McLennan

Glove Recomendations
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2006, 01:10:08 pm »

I've seen some very tempting glovesin the auto mechanic's gloves range.  They have grippy stuff on the fingers.   Nice for lens changes.

61Dynamic

Glove Recomendations
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2006, 02:51:04 pm »

I've seen some very tempting glovesin the auto mechanic's gloves range.  They have grippy stuff on the fingers.   Nice for lens changes.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=91633\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Mechanix gloves are the cat's meow in that area and I have several pair (ok, so I lied, I have some glove experience). They have great dexterity as long as you are dealing with bolts, nuts and the like. They don't keep the hands warm worth a darn though.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Glove Recomendations
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2006, 02:54:48 pm »

One more thought about liner gloves, when it's 'cold'.  Again, 30 deg F isn't 'cold'.  This also applies to socks.  If you're using silk liners (might work with other fibres), you may find that your hands will sweat under the heavier mitts.  No problem.  What you do is carry two pairs of liner gloves (and socks).  About once an hour or so, change them.  Leave the changed pair outside your clothing (pin them to your parka or something) and the water vapour in them will freeze.  Then take the glove and give it a whack across your forearm and you'll see this shower of little tiny ice crystals.  Put the gloves in your pocket until it's time to change them again.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

howiesmith

Glove Recomendations
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2006, 03:33:39 pm »

Wimp!   

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=91474\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

WIMP?  I still run the very real risk of a burned lip.  

When I lived in northern Illinois (where the temperature was frequently below freezing), I bought a townhouse so I could watch a couple guys shovel the snow.  I was always polite and offered them a cup of coffee.

Wimp.  The abuses one endures for just being smart.

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
Glove Recomendations
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2006, 06:56:28 pm »

...I tried Foxgloves in a store. They fit really snuggly, and probably can allow me to turn the smallest knobs. But I think they will build up moisture and may not be too warm. ...
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
They're not terribly warm, but they're a lot better than nothing.  When it gets colder I layer fingerless fleece gloves over them.  I've had no problem with them with moisture buildup.  I can do everything to the camera with them on except open the 1D's battery compartment, which requires a fingernail.  I was even able to tie on a couple of small flies while wearing them on a recent fishing trip in the snow in Idaho.  I like them a lot.

Nill
~~
[a href=\"http://www.toulme.net]www.toulme.net[/url]

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
Glove Recomendations
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2006, 08:31:17 pm »

For all us girlie men.

I wear liners if cold enough.  If really cold I wear Lowe-Pros photographer gloves over top and then remove the outer layer when shooting.  Really hard to operate the camera equipment with all those gloves on.

I guess we need to toughen up
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 09:46:19 am by larryg »

Chris_T

Glove Recomendations
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2006, 09:07:38 am »

I have a preference for silk liners but it's a matter of taste. I have no personal experience with FoxGloves. You shoulfd be able to find those liner on Amazon, REI, EMS, Campmor, Cabelas etc...

ex: Cabelas Silk Glove Liners
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=91592\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks. I'll check them out. Didn't notice any at REI though.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up