Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Covid Vaccine  (Read 9203 times)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
Covid Vaccine
« on: January 08, 2021, 11:44:50 pm »

Got first dose today. Some moderate soreness in my arm and a bit of queasiness in the old gut but overall, other than some fuzzy-headedness and neck muscle cramping for about 10 minutes after the shot, it's been a no worries, mum kind of day. Everyone I've talked to has had pretty much the same reactions as me.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Covid Vaccine
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 04:28:14 am »

Out of curiosity, which vaccine, Chris? I forget what has been certified in the US.

Jeremy

armand

• Photos
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 12:59:31 pm »

Both the Pfizer and Moderna have been certified and are being administered.
I already got my second shot of Pfizer (incidentally, produced few miles from where I work). Some crappy feeling for a day or so after the second shot, besides the expected arm soreness.
Low incidence of allergic reactions from what I could see, only in people already very prone to allergies.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2021, 01:10:08 pm »

Interesting. The Pfizer vaccine was the first to be authorised here, then Oxford/AstraZeneca; administration of both has now started. The Moderna version has now been authorised but I don't think supplies are expected for another couple of months.

Jeremy

armand

• Photos
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2021, 01:28:33 pm »

In Michigan at least, each hospital is assigned either Pfizer or Moderna, no mixing to avoid any potential for errors (administering the wrong one, they are not interchangeable).

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2021, 11:51:29 pm »

I got the Moderna vaccine.

I would suggest hydrating muchly the day before, the day of and the day after. I would also suggest taking an OTC antihistamine a couple of hours before the shot. Ice packs after the shot help keep down the swelling and soreness. Tylenol or Advil right after the shot and regularly for a day after just to help the soreness. My second dose is on Feb 5. I hope I get it before they decide to release all doses in the belief they can have enough second round doses ready in time. Fauci isn't a fan of this plan.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2021, 05:59:16 am »

Pfizer or Moderna, no mixing to avoid any potential for errors (administering the wrong one, they are not interchangeable).
Have you any source for that information ?
I've read widely on this and I don't think saying they're 'not interchangeable' is necessarily correct. It's more correct to say that the combination hasn't been tested.
In the UK there's already a published protocol to mix vaccines if necessary, say if there's no record of which vaccine was first administered. Most reputable experts in the UK don't expect any problems with mixing vaccines, although the efficacy of that policy will discovered in time. It's possible that mixing vaccines may even enhance protection.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 06:56:30 am by Jeremy Roussak »

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2021, 06:28:25 am »

There has indeed been much comment in the UK on the subject of the second dose of vaccine being of a different type from the first, but as far as I am aware, there has been no policy decision. Superficially, one might expect the two mRNA vaccines to be interchangeable to a greater degree than either with the more traditional Oxford type.

There is only one thread at LuLa in which any discussion on that point is permitted, however, and this isn't it.

Jeremy
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 06:56:48 am by Jeremy Roussak »

Rhossydd

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2021, 06:48:46 am »

but as far as I am aware, there has been no policy decision.
See page 14 of the document referenced below; "For individuals who started the schedule and who attend for vaccination at a site where the same vaccine is not available, or where the first product received is unknown, it is reasonable to offer a single dose of the locally available product. This option is preferred if that individual is likely to be at immediate high risk or is considered unlikely to attend again."
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/949063/COVID-19_vaccination_programme_guidance_for_healthcare_workers_December_2020_V3.pdf
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 06:56:59 am by Jeremy Roussak »

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2021, 06:56:08 am »

The quotation refers to a last-ditch resort for a particular, and one would hope unusual, situation, not a general policy.

I have removed political remarks from some posts above.

Anyone who makes any further political comments on this thread will be banned.

Jeremy

Rhossydd

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2021, 06:59:23 am »

It's just factually correct to say some governments have been wrong in their response to Covid. It's not a political comment.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2021, 08:21:06 am »

It's just factually correct to say some governments have been wrong in their response to Covid. It's not a political comment.

It is absolutely a political comment.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2021, 08:27:06 am »

Exactly.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2021, 08:31:18 am »

That statement, as expressed, is both apolitical and so anodyne as to be not worthy of being made. Identifying particular governments for criticism, however, is political: it invites argument as to the accuracy of the criticism, which cannot but be political. Responses to the pandemic are - must be - based on the balancing of numerous factors, which often conflict; and that balancing exercise is supremely political.

In any event, the question of what is or is not political is not open to debate.

Jeremy

armand

• Photos
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2021, 09:49:15 am »

Have you any source for that information ?
I've read widely on this and I don't think saying they're 'not interchangeable' is necessarily correct. It's more correct to say that the combination hasn't been tested.
In the UK there's already a published protocol to mix vaccines if necessary, say if there's no record of which vaccine was first administered. Most reputable experts in the UK don't expect any problems with mixing vaccines, although the efficacy of that policy will discovered in time. It's possible that mixing vaccines may even enhance protection.

I took me less than 30 sec to google and get to this: https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/info-by-product/clinical-considerations.html

Until a combo is tested and shown to be similarly effective, you don’t get to use it because someone thinks it’s a good idea, that’s how it works in medicine.
That should be the end of the discussion.

For humoring purposes, there can be many reasons why the combination might not work. While they technically present the same protein, the actual sequence might be slightly different between the vaccines and the immune response also depends a lot on the presentation, meaning the additional sequences “tied” to the actual mRNA. Another google search can clarify it. Make it that the doses are different and the schedules are different, 3 weeks Pfizer and 4 weeks Moderna, many things can go wrong.
In conclusion, until tested and proven, it’s not valid.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2021, 09:59:34 am »

As for side effects management.
Unless you have significant allergies I wouldn’t take an antihistamine by default. The incidence of allergic reactions is rare, there are more chances that you will get a side effect from the antihistamine itself.

For NSAIDS/acetaminophen, that’s probably a good idea to take them before if you don’t enjoy pain. I didn’t because I wanted to see how the side effects go, but I felt compelled to rectify my initial decision when I was having chills in the middle of the night  ;)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2021, 10:03:00 am »

Thanks, Armand. This is exactly the kind of information it's worthwhile to have. Politics is not information.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2021, 12:38:14 pm »

If you think you have doubts which one to get, I will be in the position to choose between four: Pfizer, Moderna, Chinese, and Russian.

I already speak Russian and English, so maybe Chinese this time?

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2021, 01:37:59 pm »

Letting you all know that I've volunteered for the Russian covid 19 vaccine trials held at The Countess of Chester hospital, England. I received my first injection at 14:30 yesterday. It’s completely safe with иo side effects whatsoeveя, and I feelshκι χoρoshό я чувствую себя немного странно и я думаю, что вытащил ослиные уши.

Jeremy
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up