Pages: 1 ... 851 852 [853] 854 855 ... 910   Go Down

Author Topic: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa  (Read 1325322 times)

digitaldog

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Online Online
  • Posts: 21652
  • Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #17040 on: May 29, 2025, 09:56:44 pm »

I’m sure Frans will make like Jim Dandy, and quickly come to the rescue here, explaining why the news item got it so wrong.
Don't feed him, please.
Logged
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Rob C

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25143
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #17041 on: May 30, 2025, 03:54:26 pm »

Spanish tv showed, just now, the adios between Elon and Trump, with presentation of a symbolic key…

I thought they would hardly need one anymore; how much more inside can anyone get?

BAB

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 535
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #17042 on: May 30, 2025, 07:36:25 pm »

Hi Robert,

I was reading through the recent posts on the last page and noticed your comments appearing alternately. I must admit, I was quite surprised by your perspective on the forum's direction. To be frank, your short-term vision seems alarming to me and really clashes with my own common sense.

Best regards,
Barry
Logged
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

Rhossydd

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3457
    • http://www.paulholman.com
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #17043 on: May 31, 2025, 03:06:11 am »

What puzzles me from the view in the UK is who is opposing this madness from trump ? There seems to be no single figurehead from the Democrats leading the fight against so many crazy decisions that are ruining the America's international reputation.

Is it just that it's not been reported here or are the Democrats in such a mess they haven't one leader of opposition ?
Logged

degrub

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2558
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #17044 on: May 31, 2025, 09:30:42 am »

Yes. existing struggle between the progressive wing and the rest of the fractured, self interest groups that make up the party.
Only the judiciary and perhaps congress stand in front resisting an autocracy.
Logged

Rob C

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25143
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #17045 on: May 31, 2025, 09:50:01 am »

Yes. existing struggle between the progressive wing and the rest of the fractured, self interest groups that make up the party.
Only the judiciary and perhaps congress stand in front resisting an autocracy.

Hence the battle to stuff the top court with card-carrying members of the same party. With that in your pocket, you have it all.

Robert Roaldi

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5514
    • Robert's Photos
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #17046 on: June 03, 2025, 07:37:25 am »

Reports online are that Elon Musk and the Sec of Treasury had a fistfight in the WH. According to the report I heard online, it started in the Oval Office but ended up in the hallway. The WH must be covered in security cameras so there must be video footage of the brawl.
Logged
--
Robert

Rob C

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25143
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #17047 on: June 04, 2025, 11:43:46 am »

Who won?

Today's local Spanish paper says that Musk is now telling the voters they made a mistake, that the new fiscal policies are a disaster... amazing how mind-clearing when a threat to other's business activities turns around and bites your own company's ass. Badly and deeply enough that you feel it.

Robert Roaldi

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5514
    • Robert's Photos
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #17048 on: June 04, 2025, 02:45:15 pm »

Logged
--
Robert

Rob C

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25143
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #17049 on: June 05, 2025, 10:37:02 am »

Everybody lost.


Somehow, that‘s pretty much the flavour of politics everywhere now; win or lose elections, it all ends in tears for all sides. It’s become the nature of the game: no honest man or woman wants any part of it, if only because contamination with the rest becomes inevitable and terminal.

Rhossydd

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3457
    • http://www.paulholman.com
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #17050 on: June 06, 2025, 03:32:09 am »

Musk claiming that "Trump would not have won the election without him"... what the heck can that mean?
Pretty obvious. He put hundreds of millions of dollars into campaign funds and literally bribed voters, but also provided a younger, more vibrant and slicker front to the campaign rather than trump's rambling incoherent diatribes.
Quote
We know that other tech giants are deeply convinced that regulations to control AI, such as the ones they thought the democrats would pass, are likely to slow down their progress against China, which means defeat in the AI domain... which means defeat overall. So it can clearly be said that they thought that Trump loosing would have meant the end of the US.
Not an argument I've seen elsewhere.

Trump's doing a pretty good job of making the US look bad, undoing generations of reputation in months.
Logged

PeterAit

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4647
    • Peter Aitken Photographs
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #17051 on: June 06, 2025, 06:19:07 pm »

I hear that Zelinskii has offered to mediate a truce between Trump and Musk.
Logged

Robert Roaldi

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5514
    • Robert's Photos
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #17052 on: June 08, 2025, 06:49:04 am »

Logged
--
Robert

Rob C

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25143
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #17053 on: June 08, 2025, 07:43:26 am »

Trump seems to have a nice little sideline these days selling pardons, https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-pardons-drive-big-burgeoning-business-lobbyists-rcna209801.


The whole process stinks to the rafters. One wonders how these people manage to sleep at night. There should be no pardon procedure: trust the law and make sure those making legal decisions are straight, have no corruption in their past. If they do, throw them out. It looks just like any other corrupt dictatorship anywhere else. I suppose, though, that when things get so bad, the point of no return has been reached - and passed.

Robert Roaldi

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5514
    • Robert's Photos
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #17054 on: June 08, 2025, 03:35:09 pm »

I see they sent the Marines into L.A. I guess the National Guard wasn’t enough to defend the US against all those Angelino baristas.

I think that any protesters who are arrested L.A. should start GoFundMe campaigns to bribe Trump for pardons. I wonder if he charges 'lefty wokists' more for pardons than he does MAGA'ists (or would that be MAGA'nians). I'd like to see the price list.

I heard a media report on the Canadaland podcast network that FOX News is still pushing the idea that Canada is a large source of fentanyl imports into the US. You have to be singularly obsessed to still be harping on that debunked fantasy. At least FOX is funnier than TASS was.
Logged
--
Robert

Rob C

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25143
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #17055 on: June 08, 2025, 04:18:57 pm »

I see they sent the Marines into L.A. I guess the National Guard wasn’t enough to defend the US against all those Angelino baristas.

I think that any protesters who are arrested L.A. should start GoFundMe campaigns to bribe Trump for pardons. I wonder if he charges 'lefty wokists' more for pardons than he does MAGA'ists (or would that be MAGA'nians). I'd like to see the price list.

I heard a media report on the Canadaland podcast network that FOX News is still pushing the idea that Canada is a large source of fentanyl imports into the US. You have to be singularly obsessed to still be harping on that debunked fantasy. At least FOX is funnier than TASS was.


Though US news outlets are available to me on the Internet, I can’t watch them - any of them. Even the business ones are not very well presented - far too many bright, distracting colours everywhere, too much makeup and too much attention drawn to the presenters: they are not the news.

The UK news channels aren’t all that great either, but the Beeb still manages to look good, despite its undertow of woke leftism. I also regret the now long-established move to regional accents: better clarity than sucking up to provincial ways, but I suppose that just like politicians, they have a business duty to pander to all kinds, if only to keep people happy and the funds coming in. Passing the local newspaper stands here in Spain, I feel deep embarrassment to be a Brit when my eye catches some of the British papers: how stupid our readership is made out to appear, how inconsequential the things that make headlines. Guess they must sell, or they wouldn’t be there.

Chris Kern

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2205
    • Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #17056 on: June 08, 2025, 06:36:58 pm »

The UK news channels aren’t all that great either, but the Beeb still manages to look good. . . .  I also regret the now long-established move to regional accents . . .

If you think they're difficult for you to understand, think what it's like for us Yanks.  My wife and I need to turn on the subtitles every time we watch a BBC entertainment program.  (Alas, the software-generated ones can't keep up with the Beeb's news presenters.) My brother tells me he and his wife, Americans who live in London, do the same thing.

As 'Enry 'Iggins put it:

Quote
An Englishman's way of speaking absolutely classifies him.
The moment he talks he makes some other Englishman despise him.
One common language I'm afraid we'll never get,
Oh, why can't the English learn to

set a good example to people whose
English is painful to your ears?
The Scots and the Irish leave you close to tears.

Well, especially the Scottish accent, which is impenetrable to those of us in this hemisphere.  No offense intended, Rob.

Rob C

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25143
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #17057 on: June 09, 2025, 10:37:18 am »



Well, especially the Scottish accent, which is impenetrable to those of us in this hemisphere.  No offense intended, Rob.

None taken!

I was lucky that by the time I was sixteen I’d lived in Scotland, England, Italy and India. When in England, they think me Scottish, and when in Scotland I’m seen as English. During life in Scotland, I realised that even the Scots find themselves riven by accent, with the folks from the western islands and the north, with their nationalistic take on Gaelic costing millions in other taxpayers’ money for crazy double-language road signs, special tv channels etc. It’s a bit like the kilt, which gets de-mothed for weddings and such events (or rented), but otherwise grows mould in a secret closet. An expensive affectation, not that I’d dare tell any of them!

Two of our early neighbours out here in Spain came from Yorkshire. We were invited over to their apartment one day for drinks, and to meet their son and his wife, but nobody could understand a word the son spoke. Yet, he was a successful farmer, which takes no little savvy to pull off. The parents, on the other hand, were perfectly understandable. Hell, some parts of Glasow produce accents that are quite foreign to others areas of the city.

It can have serious consequences, though, this nationalistic bullshit. Here, in Mallorca, there has been an eternal legal on/off situation with doctors from the mainland speaking only the official Spanish language of Castilian, and not being able to speak Catalan, being or not being allowed to hold jobs in the medical profession; yes, right here where there is a massive shortage of qualified practitioners. In my 44 years living on the rock I have yet to meet a person from the island who can’t handle Castilian. Were that not so, I wouldn’t have been able to communicate with any of them. Actually, there is an even more difficult factor influencing the coming here or not of Spanish nationals from the mainland: the extremely high cost of accommodation. On the one hand, it stops waiters being able to come for seasonal gigs, and on the other, also discourages people such as judges accepting island posts. Just too expensive on either side of the status levels. The middle ground seems hardly to exist outwith old foreigner-purchased properties such as mine, prime targets for holiday rental speculation.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2025, 10:44:23 am by Rob C »
Logged

Chris Kern

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2205
    • Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #17058 on: June 09, 2025, 04:40:53 pm »

I was lucky that by the time I was sixteen I’d lived in Scotland, England, Italy and India. When in England, they think me Scottish, and when in Scotland I’m seen as English.

Hace muchos años, shortly after I started work in the news division of the Voice of America—our counterpart to the BBC World Service (currently under threat of disbandment by the Trump Administration)—I was summoned to a broacast studio for a "voice evaluation."

My voice turned out to be well-received, but the evaluator-in-chief informed me that I needed to lose "that New York accent."  I informed him that I was from Noo Joisey, not Noo Yawk, and surely didn't have an accent of any kind.  But he wasn't having any of it.  It turned out VOA's version of the Beeb's Received Standard English was Middle Western American English, whatever that was.  I had spent some time on both coasts by then but had never alighted in what is now pejoratively referred to as "flyover country," so I was unfamiliar with this particular dialect.  And it was never clearly defined, as far as I could tell, althugh apparently the evaluator-in-chief knew it when he heard it.

For some weeks thereafter, I spent a hour every day back in the studio in an attempt to acquire an acceptable Midwest American accent.  I would read a script into the microphone for a few minutes, the recording would be played back, my accent-in-progress would be critiqued, and we would iterate the process until, like a shrink interrupting a patient, the evaluator-in-chief told me my hour was up.  Eventually either I got a passing grade, or maybe fate intervened, but anyway I was sent out on an assignment that took me to the Middle Western states for the first time.

Where—sure enough—everybody I met in that part of the country sounded just like me.

Rob C

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25143
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #17059 on: June 09, 2025, 05:16:41 pm »

That’s a lovely story, Chris!

As for flyover country: how did you find it stacking up with the coastal preconceptions once you got there? Is there also a sort of reverse version of the same thing?

New Jersey, to me, means Tony Soprano… ironic he should have really died in Rome - the Italian one. ;-)

Also somewhat ironic: in Britain, the Beeb is, nowadays, constantly under a kind of low-level threat of closure by right-wing governments. I suppose they see votes in that policy because so many people hate paying a licence fee for it, whether they watch it or not. To an extent, if you don’t watch you shouldn’t have to pay, but on the other hand, who else would produce such amazing natural history programmes as I remember coming out of the Bristol studios? I’m sure they also earn a pretty penny from foreign sales of their bodice-ripper romances that run and run and run. I guess that if it was simply paid for under general, unclassified taxation, nobody would care. It’s the same with road tax, where the tax money raised doesn’t all get spent on roads. Have one large, indistinct fund and these taxpayer gripes wouldn’t arise. But then, where would all the fun go?
Pages: 1 ... 851 852 [853] 854 855 ... 910   Go Up