One good thing about the tariffs, as they force down stock market values, is that the cash-rich amongst us can now pick up good stock for less money. Thus, when the Trump aberration is a thing of the past, those good companies will gather value again, once more paying out the interest that allows further such exercises next time there’s a fall.
Of course, for everybody else, life just gets tougher.
I’m wondering if iPhones and such will get special dispensations, new rules allowing them freedom from tariff increases because of the US connections they already obviously have; I can’t see Muskie allowing himself to become wired to a bloodletting device.
Fortunately, though I am seriously interested in a forthcoming iPhone 17 with improved longer lens system (if that proves to be more than just rumour), I know that even if I had the freedom of mind to spend part of what remaining capital I have on expensive cameras, I probably would not. Having or not having the necessary funds does not, of itself, alter the pointlessness of owning something that one knows is now destined to live in a dark cabinet. Were I still in a position to be both offered and undertake paid work, yes, no hesitation. But then, that was already my view when I was working: I only ever bought stuff for which I already had an existing need. My little cellular device is such a simple solution to making snaps which, let’s face it, is pretty much all anybody does nowadays. Prints? Reading the relevant columns on that topic right here, in LuLa, the troubles associated with the current crop of machines makes home printing look like blatant masochism.
As always, it’s an ill wind etc.