Have you ever wondered why Flooding is becoming an ever-increasing problem worldwide?
Excellent question! Yes, I have wondered why flooding appears to be an ever-increasing problem, worldwide. Australia is well-known for it's alternating floods and droughts. I personally experienced a major flood in Queensland, Australia, in 2011. I had to travel over flooded roads in a boat, and walk knee-deep in parts of the flooded road to get back home. It was a wonderful photographic opportunity, but I'm disappointed I didn't take better photos. Perhaps I was too worried I might find my house to be flooded when I eventually arrived there. Attached are a few shots I took of the boat ride.
Of course, the Media reported this flood as unprecedented, and the worst on record, and that such floods will become worse in the future due to man-made climate change, which was a concern for me at the time because my house was located at the top of a bank of the Brisbane River.
Fortunately my house wasn't flooded. However, I searched the internet for the historical records of flood levels in the Brisbane area, and was amazed to find that, according to the government BOM records, the 2011 flood was the 7th worst during the existence of reliable records. Not even nearly the worst flood. The two highest flood levels occurred in 1841 and 1893.
For those interested, I've attached the following article from BOM which provides many details of the numerous floods in the Brisbane area that have been recorded from 1824 to 2017.
http://www.bom.gov.au/qld/flood/fld_history/brisbane_history.shtml