Pages: 1 ... 781 782 [783] 784 785 ... 808   Go Down

Author Topic: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa  (Read 466351 times)

marvpelkey

Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #15640 on: January 05, 2023, 07:35:09 pm »

Ya, wait until he gets nominated for Speaker.

Along similar lines, I am actually a bit surprised that Liz Cheney has not been nominated.

Having said that, how is this show actually going to end? By wearing down the 20 (or whatever the number is now, I lost count) by Kevin promising them everything to get their vote? Kevin withdrawing? Or being forced out and a third, more palatable, Republican is chosen?

Saw a bit of an interview with Taylor-Greene who was actually complaining about some of the 20 "just putting on a show" (or whatever the phrase she used) and she wants to get down to the peoples business. Man, the hypocrisy!

Marv

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #15641 on: January 05, 2023, 10:23:01 pm »

At the time I'm writing this, they've had 11 votes for Speaker. Got to be a Guinness record.

Is McCarthy worth all this bother? The guy seems to have thick skin though, how many defeats can one ego take? He must want the job something fierce.
--
Robert

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #15642 on: January 05, 2023, 11:16:07 pm »

Not even close to a record sadly. That's two months and 133 ballots!
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #15643 on: January 17, 2023, 01:51:20 pm »

I came across a 30 min podcast of two guys making fun of billionaires who want to build themselves bunkers where they can survive the “collapse of civilization”, i.e., The Event. It’s based on a book one of them wrote Survival of the Richest.

https://www.pushkin.fm/podcasts/story-of-the-week/billionaires-prepping-for-the-apocalypse

Parts are pretty funny. There already exist preparations for these places and you can apply online to be included. They give a couple of examples. Of course you have to bring a lot of money to the table to reserve a spot but you also need special skills, making eyeglasses, farming, dentistry, etc. What’s not so clear to me is what value-added a hedge fund manager or high-tech billionaire brings to such a place. I mean, who needs them? The farmers don’t need a “manager” to tell them where to sow and harvest, they already know.
--
Robert

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #15644 on: January 19, 2023, 08:12:57 am »

You think you’ve heard it all, then George Santos shows up. You almost have to admire the audacity.
--
Robert

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #15645 on: January 19, 2023, 12:42:09 pm »

You think you’ve heard it all, then George Santos shows up. You almost have to admire the audacity.

Oh Anthony Devolder? Yeah that guy is sketchy.
-MattB

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #15646 on: January 25, 2023, 07:12:04 am »

First it was Trump who was caught with classified docs, then Biden, then Pence, and yesterday I saw that there is a youtube video about how other Trump staffers had(have) some too but I didn't watch it, no idea how credible it is. Geez, is there anyone who doesn't have any? Before you ask, I checked and I don't have any. On the face of it, this seems to point to sloppy document handling. Are they classifying too many documents maybe? Is there "classification inflation"?

I see the US is having another debt ceiling mini-crisis. That seems to happen a lot, shouldn't they fix that?

I have to tell you that the recent soap opera in Congress has been a wild ride. Is the strategy to flood the zone with bs, sneak in some stuff on the side? I saw some headlines about some people wanting to get rid of social security. Great idea, let's see where that leads.

I have no idea if this is accurate but I get the impression that De Santis in Florida spends a lot of time and energy on emotional woke vs anti-woke talk? I get that it's an easy way to get votes, appeal to outrage, Trump proved that, as if it needed demonstrating. But is anyone addressing any substantial issues? Surely there are adults somewhere who actually look after the real stuff.

The best was a comment by I don't know who about how terrible it is that pregnant women can travel out of state to obtain abortions. Sounded like he was hinting that maybe they should restrict the travel of women. I pictured Margaret Atwood doing a spit take.

The upside of all this is that it drove all that Elon Musk -- Twitter nonsense out of the headlines for a while. That was a relief. :)

--
Robert

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #15647 on: January 25, 2023, 10:36:36 am »

I.m afraid to look in my garage to see what might be there!   ;D
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

marvpelkey

« Reply #15648 on: January 25, 2023, 06:59:29 pm »

Apparently the latest rumour has it that Pence "fell on his sword" (my paraphrase) and reported finding his stash of documents to show that everybody does it, mitigating the damage to Trump. Not that it will work, however, as I think Trump's biggest issue is that he obstructed the recovery attempts, not that he took any with him on his way out. Hannity was even intimating the same.

Regarding the "adult" question, I actually don't think there are any adults left in the room.

And my prediction will be, Trump will choose MTG as his running mate. She will then become president when he is done. You heard it here first.

On a slightly related note, my grand-daughter was born/is raised in Colorado, but has both U.S. and Canadian citizenship. A few years back (when Trump was elected), D-I-L joked that she should get the g'daughter her Canadian passport, in the event she has to get out of town fast. She has now become more serious about that, and has started the process.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #15649 on: January 26, 2023, 09:39:11 am »

On a slightly related note, my grand-daughter was born/is raised in Colorado, but has both U.S. and Canadian citizenship. A few years back (when Trump was elected), D-I-L joked that she should get the g'daughter her Canadian passport, in the event she has to get out of town fast. She has now become more serious about that, and has started the process.

My wife also has dual citizenship and makes sure her Canadian passport is always current.

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #15650 on: January 26, 2023, 11:17:57 am »

That reminds me I need to renew my Aussie passport.
-MattB

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #15651 on: January 27, 2023, 12:29:13 pm »

Seems like Tucker thinks Canada should be liberated, https://www.blogto.com/city/2023/01/fox-news-host-says-us-should-invade-canada/.

Shouldn't there be rules against having insane people on TV? :)
--
Robert

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #15652 on: January 28, 2023, 09:50:39 am »

Seems like Tucker thinks Canada should be liberated, https://www.blogto.com/city/2023/01/fox-news-host-says-us-should-invade-canada/.

What? You want to cancel TV completely?    :D
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #15653 on: January 28, 2023, 10:14:45 am »

Carlson is far from insane. He is a coldly calculating, immoral, money-grubbing SOB.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #15654 on: January 28, 2023, 07:22:08 pm »

Seems like [Fox News presenter] Tucker [Carlson] thinks Canada should be liberated. . . .

We tried that once before.  Didn't turn out so well.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
--
Robert

faberryman

« Reply #15656 on: February 03, 2023, 10:26:05 am »

It being winter, the power is once again off in Texas. A gaggle of paparazzi have been dispatched to Cancun to see if Heidi Cruz can be spotted reprising her "smoking hot" look in a red bikini. Serious journalist have staked out the Happy Hound Ballet Emporium to see if Ted is picking out a new tutu for Snowflake from this year's award winning collection designed by George Santos.

I guess by now you've heard that Trump won the Senior Golf Championship at one of his clubs in Florida. It was a two-day event. He couldn't play the first day because he was holding a rally for someone somewhere so he just submitted his best score from a practice round earlier in the week, which just so happened to give him a five stroke lead going into the second day. It was tremendous. Nobody has ever seen anything like it.

A couple of years ago, Trump won the Senior Golf Championship at one of his other Florida clubs without even playing in it. A couple of weeks after the tournament was held and the champion crowned, Trump challenged him to a nine hole "playoff" for the title. Trump won the "playoff" and declared himself the champion of the tournament he didn't play in. He graciously allowed the real champion to call himself co-champion. It was tremendous. Nobody has ever seen anything like it.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 11:43:57 am by faberryman »

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #15657 on: February 03, 2023, 10:36:55 am »

I see that De Santis in Florida is removing taxes from gas stoves (does he mean sales tax?). I find this a little weird. Why take any action at all? There was one study released about effects of gas stoves which caused some folks to lose their sh*t, but no actions against gas stoves was proposed by any anyone. It's far too premature to take any action, if any action needs to be taken at all, so why over-react this way. I guess his modus operandi is to strike while emotions run hot for maximum social media outrage.

When I heard this my first question was, why is he giving the gas stove industry a competitive advantage in the marketplace?
--
Robert

faberryman

« Reply #15658 on: February 03, 2023, 10:55:21 am »

I see that De Santis in Florida is removing taxes from gas stoves (does he mean sales tax?). I find this a little weird. Why take any action at all? There was one study released about effects of gas stoves which caused some folks to lose their sh*t, but no actions against gas stoves was proposed by any anyone. It's far too premature to take any action, if any action needs to be taken at all, so why over-react this way. I guess his modus operandi is to strike while emotions run hot for maximum social media outrage.

When I heard this my first question was, why is he giving the gas stove industry a competitive advantage in the marketplace?

I saw on the news (so it must be true) that only 8% of homes in Florida have gas stoves. Perhaps a lot of DeSantis supporters will run out and replace their electric stoves with gas stoves to take advantage of the tax break. Sounds about right.

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #15659 on: February 03, 2023, 12:00:21 pm »

Many houses in the UK have gas boilers providing central heating and hot water.  There is talk of banning them in the next few years but the cost of gas per kWH is less than for electricity.  The push is therefore for air source heat pumps, and some builders are starting to instal them in all new builds.  Our local open air swimming pool has just got a sizeable grant for one as the major heat source, but keeping a gas boiler as a reserve.  It may be in place by the summer.

Jonathan

Jonathan in UK
Pages: 1 ... 781 782 [783] 784 785 ... 808   Go Up