Pages: 1 ... 775 776 [777] 778 779 ... 808   Go Down

Author Topic: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa  (Read 466214 times)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #15520 on: August 30, 2022, 10:57:35 pm »

US administration acts surprised that the inflation is not transitory, but now it looks like rather permanent, and yet it is still throwing more money on the burning inflation fire.

Steve Hanke, a professor of applied economics at Johns Hopkins University, said that he believes the U.S. is heading for a “whopper” of a recession next year, but it’s not necessarily because of higher benchmark interest rates.
“We will have a recession because we’ve had five months of zero M2 growth–money supply growth, and the Fed isn’t even looking at it,” Hanke said in an interview with CNBC on Monday. “We’re going to have one whopper of a recession in 2023.”

“The problem we have is that the Chairman does not understand, even at this point, what the causes of inflation are and were,” Hanke said. “He’s still going on about supply-side glitches. He has failed to tell us that inflation is always caused by excess growth in the money supply, turning the printing presses on.”

https://finance.yahoo.com/m/d300aefd-3b69-3cfb-8e2e-09be313d4137/economist-predicts-a.html

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #15521 on: August 31, 2022, 03:13:10 pm »

US administration acts surprised that the inflation is not transitory, but now it looks like rather permanent, and yet it is still throwing more money on the burning inflation fire.

https://finance.yahoo.com/m/d300aefd-3b69-3cfb-8e2e-09be313d4137/economist-predicts-a.html

Economists, like weathermen, are wrong 75% of the time yet keep their jobs.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #15522 on: August 31, 2022, 03:34:31 pm »

Economists, like weathermen, are wrong 75% of the time yet keep their jobs.
And here in NM, a former weatherman is running for Governor. Like most of his 'kind' he's telling folks how awful actual (experienced) politicians are.
Sure, when I go to a doctor, lawyer, or plumber, I want someone with zero experience.  :P
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

James Clark

« Reply #15523 on: September 01, 2022, 11:45:39 am »

I dunno Les, it's a weird time.  Certainly loose money supply is generally the culprit for inflation, but it should be obvious that constricted product supply is equally, if not more, culpable in this specific situation.  And what money is being thrown about now?  You can't be talking about student loan forgiveness, because those payments have been paused for years already. So... what?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #15524 on: September 01, 2022, 03:06:30 pm »

Trump vows pardons, government apology to Capitol rioters if he’s elected
The comments came on the same day President Biden was delivering a prime-time address warning of the threat to democracy from “MAGA Republicans” and election deniers.
Former president Donald Trump said he would issue full pardons and a government apology to rioters who stormed the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, and violently attacked law enforcement to stop the democratic transfer of power.
“I mean full pardons with an apology to many,” he told conservative radio host Wendy Bell on Thursday morning.

No comments from the “party of law and order.”

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #15525 on: September 01, 2022, 04:24:17 pm »

The comments came on the same day President Biden was delivering a prime-time address warning of the threat to democracy from “MAGA Republicans” and election deniers.
Former president Donald Trump said he would issue full pardons and a government apology to rioters who stormed the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, and violently attacked law enforcement to stop the democratic transfer of power.
“I mean full pardons with an apology to many,” he told conservative radio host Wendy Bell on Thursday morning.

I wonder if that would win him any votes or if all those people were already voting for him anyway (except the convicted felons of course).
-MattB

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #15526 on: September 01, 2022, 05:53:01 pm »

Is there an awareness generally in the US how revolting this stuff is or has everyone been so pummelled by the constant barrage of crap that it doesn't register anymore, like TV commercials? Is there any outrage left?
--
Robert

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #15527 on: September 01, 2022, 06:42:46 pm »

Is there an awareness generally in the US how revolting this stuff is or has everyone been so pummelled by the constant barrage of crap that it doesn't register anymore, like TV commercials? Is there any outrage left?

I've still got some. Emoji for proof -->  >:(
-MattB

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #15528 on: September 01, 2022, 09:36:09 pm »

I've still got some. Emoji for proof -->  >:(

To put things into perspective, isn't it interesting how many Russians take dives out of windows? :)
--
Robert

Peter McLennan

« Reply #15529 on: September 01, 2022, 11:46:18 pm »

No. Gullibillia Myopians seems a National Disease down there.

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #15530 on: September 02, 2022, 01:07:07 am »

To put things into perspective, isn't it interesting how many Russians take dives out of windows? :)

It seems to be contagious!
-MattB

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #15531 on: September 02, 2022, 05:18:12 pm »

At least eight prominent Russian businessmen have reportedly died by suicide or in as yet unexplained accidents since late January, with six of them associated with Russia's two largest energy companies.
Four of those six were linked to the Russian state-owned energy giant Gazprom or one of its subsidiaries, while the other two were associated with Lukoil, Russia's largest privately owned oil and gas company.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/02/business/russian-oligarchs-deaths-intl/index.html

"You know the good part about all those executions in Texas? Fewer Texans". -George Carlin
George must be looking down and wondering if Russian businessmen could be substituted for Texans.  ;D

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #15532 on: September 02, 2022, 09:20:47 pm »

Isn’t this secret documents thing at Trump’s place a scream. First, he claimed that all they had to do was ask for them, but turns out they have been asking for them for 18 months or so.

Then he claimed the FBI planted stuff, but in the next breath claimed that he had the right to have them at home. So then, they weren’t planted after all.

Then he claimed that the documents were declassified by him. Ok, then there should be a clear unambiguous paper trail indicating that fact, with document numbers/names and signatures and the rest. THAT should be easy to track down.

Now some of the folders were found to be empty. I’m expecting him to claim that the dog ate those.

What a farce.
--
Robert

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #15533 on: September 02, 2022, 09:45:40 pm »

I’m expecting him to claim that the dog ate those.
Unlikely:
https://www.popsugar.com/news/Does-Donald-Trump-Have-Dog-43366100
Mitt Romney had his chance to beat a failed president but he choked like a dog. Now he calls me racist-but I am least racist person there is
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 11, 2016

.@EWErickson got fired like a dog from RedState and now he is the one leading opposition against me.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 18, 2016

Wow was Ted Cruz disloyal to his very capable director of communication. He used him as a scape goat-fired like a dog! Ted panicked.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 23, 2016

Union Leader refuses to comment as to why they were kicked out of the ABC News debate like a dog. For starters, try getting a new publisher!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 10, 2016

.@GlennBeck got fired like a dog by #Fox. The Blaze is failing and he wanted to have me on his show. I said no - because he is irrelevant.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 17, 2015

I hear that sleepy eyes @chucktodd will be fired like a dog from ratings starved Meet The Press? I can't imagine what is taking so long!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 13, 2015

Obama called Reverend Wright his friend, counselor & great leader--then dumped him like a dog!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 3, 2012

Robert Pattinson should not take back Kristen Stewart. She cheated on him like a dog & will do it again--just watch. He can do much better!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 17, 2012

Egypt is a total mess. We should have backed Mubarak instead of dropping him like a dog.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 12, 2012

Trump explains why he is the only president in 100 years to not have a dog: 'I don’t have any time'
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-dog-family-president-pets-schedule-executive-time-a8775581.html

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #15534 on: September 03, 2022, 04:04:46 pm »

"On political corruption, we are going to restore honor to our government, '' "In my administration, I'm going to enforce all laws concerning the protection of classified information. No one will be above the law."

"One of the first things we must do is to enforce all classification rules and to enforce all laws relating to the handling of classified information," Clinton's mishandling "disqualifies" her from public service".

"Any government employee who engaged in this kind of behavior would be barred from handling classified information." "Again, that alone disqualifies her."

"That is the most confidential stuff. "Classified. That's classified. You go to prison when you release stuff like that."

"Former FBI Director James Comey should be prosecuted" "He leaked CLASSIFIED information, for which he should be prosecuted,"

"Classified information; he should go to jail for that for many, many years," Here's what he did: He released classified information, highly classified information and confidential information, all different categories. John Bolton should never have been allowed to do that. You know, the young sailor that sent a picture home to his mother and other people. They go to jail for a long period of time. You can't do that. And that was not nearly as vital, as important, as John Bolton. [He] broke the law by releasing Classified Information, in massive amounts. He must pay a very big price for this, as others have before him. This should never to happen again!!!"
If Bolton unknowingly leaked information in his book he should go to jail."

-Donald Trump

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #15535 on: September 03, 2022, 10:59:58 pm »

"On political corruption, we are going to restore honor to our government, '' "In my administration, I'm going to enforce all laws concerning the protection of classified information. No one will be above the law."

"One of the first things we must do is to enforce all classification rules and to enforce all laws relating to the handling of classified information," Clinton's mishandling "disqualifies" her from public service".

"Any government employee who engaged in this kind of behavior would be barred from handling classified information." "Again, that alone disqualifies her."

"That is the most confidential stuff. "Classified. That's classified. You go to prison when you release stuff like that."

"Former FBI Director James Comey should be prosecuted" "He leaked CLASSIFIED information, for which he should be prosecuted,"

"Classified information; he should go to jail for that for many, many years," Here's what he did: He released classified information, highly classified information and confidential information, all different categories. John Bolton should never have been allowed to do that. You know, the young sailor that sent a picture home to his mother and other people. They go to jail for a long period of time. You can't do that. And that was not nearly as vital, as important, as John Bolton. [He] broke the law by releasing Classified Information, in massive amounts. He must pay a very big price for this, as others have before him. This should never to happen again!!!"
If Bolton unknowingly leaked information in his book he should go to jail."

-Donald Trump

On the plus side, Sarah Palin lost.

--
Robert

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #15536 on: September 05, 2022, 07:45:08 am »

I dunno Les, it's a weird time.  Certainly loose money supply is generally the culprit for inflation, but it should be obvious that constricted product supply is equally, if not more, culpable in this specific situation.  And what money is being thrown about now?  You can't be talking about student loan forgiveness, because those payments have been paused for years already. So... what?

Debt cancellation is same as printing more money. Instead of lowering student tuitions and professor's salaries, the proposed debt cancellation will lead to more students taking new loans to support overpaid professors and many questionable expenses.

President Biden’s new student loan forgiveness plan includes three major components. We estimate that debt cancellation alone will cost up to $519 billion, with about 75% of the benefit accruing to households making $88,000 or less. Loan forbearance will cost another $16 billion. The new income-driven repayment (IDR) program would cost another $70 billion, increasing the total plan cost to $605 billion under strict “static” assumptions. However, depending on future IDR program details to be released and potential behavioral (i.e., “non-static”) changes, total plan costs could exceed $1 trillion.

https://budgetmodel.wharton.upenn.edu/issues/2022/8/26/biden-student-loan-forgiveness

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #15537 on: September 05, 2022, 10:41:30 am »

Debt cancellation is same as printing more money. Instead of lowering student tuitions and professor's salaries, the proposed debt cancellation will lead to more students taking new loans to support overpaid professors and many questionable expenses.

The idea that student debt forgiveness will add to inflation is nonsense--another lie made up by the right to scare people. First of all, debt cancellation is not the same as "printing money." No new money will be created, as it was for the huge relief packages. Rather, existing money that would have gone for loan payments will be used for other things. Plus, the total amount involved is minuscule compared to the entire economy. Also, the relief will be spread out over the 10 years or so that the original now-cancelled payments would have been made. Finally, the plan includes ending the loan payment holiday that has been in effect, and that will take more money out of the economy than the forgiveness will put in. So, inflation worries in this case are not just nonsense, they are utter nonsense--bovine fecal material if you will.

And where was the right wing when the Payroll Protection Plan doled out $800 billion to businesses, all newly "printed" money? Why, they were in line with their hands out!  It is estimated that only 25% of that actually went to save jobs, the rest went into business owners' pockets.  And needless to say, almost none of that has been paid back, even by businesses that survived the pandemic and are doing just fine.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #15538 on: September 06, 2022, 03:16:56 pm »

There is still hope (at least here in New Mexico):
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/county-commissioner-cowboys-trump-co-founder-banned-public-office-jan-rcna46465
Cowboys for Trump co-founder barred from public office over Jan. 6
A New Mexico judge removed Cuoy Griffin as commissioner of Otero County, citing the 14th Amendment’s clause barring officials who've engaged “in insurrection or rebellion” from holding public office.
One of the three local residents that took this bonehead to court was my dentist!

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #15539 on: September 06, 2022, 04:55:16 pm »

This is an opinion article criticizing the strategy of Trump's lawyers wrt the classified documents he wasn't supposed to have at home.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2022/09/06/trumps-lawyers-special-master-indictment-00054926

What I'm wondering is, will he pay them?
--
Robert
Pages: 1 ... 775 776 [777] 778 779 ... 808   Go Up