Pages: 1 ... 725 726 [727] 728 729 ... 808   Go Down

Author Topic: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa  (Read 466227 times)

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #14520 on: June 28, 2022, 11:21:05 am »

Another video about lead poisoning https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV3dnLzthDA.

I seem to remember warnings in the 1960s about how switching to unleaded would cost us so much money and ruin our cars. Those damn leftie guvmint "experts" and regulators were interfering in our lives again. ;)
--
Robert

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #14521 on: June 28, 2022, 11:45:10 am »

Here's a short anecdote related to Covid in case you woke up this morning feeling optimistic about the world and need a way to take yourself down a notch. The second to last time we visited my mother in her retirement residence, she asked us to stop by the hairdresser's in her building on our way out to make an appointment for her. As my wife and the hairdresser were arranging this, they got into a conversation about Covid vaccines. A little over a year ago the hairdresser had the first vaccine but refuses to have more. The reason is that she believes that the vaccine gave her cataracts. She was operated on successfully for those in the past year. It can take a considerable length of time for cataracts to develop and exposure to UV radiation is a major root cause. This info is readily available anywhere.

--
Robert

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #14522 on: June 28, 2022, 12:04:03 pm »

Increased stress levels in USA:

An employee at a Subway restaurant in Atlanta was shot and killed Sunday after a customer got upset about a condiment on his sandwich, Atlanta Police said.

Police were called to the restaurant near Mercedes-Benz Stadium in downtown Atlanta shortly after 6:30 p.m., a news release from the police department said.
Officers found two employees shot, and one woman was later pronounced dead at a hospital. "This was a very tragic situation that did not have to occur," Deputy Chief Charles Hampton Jr. said during a news conference Monday. "The suspect came inside the restaurant (to) order a sandwich and there was something wrong with the sandwich that made him so upset that he decided to take out his anger on two of the employees here."

A 36-year-old male was arrested Sunday night, Hampton said. He declined to identify the suspect citing the ongoing investigation. Hampton said that the suspect used a handgun during the incident. The medical examiner identified the victim as Brittany Macon, 26. An autopsy has not been completed, but the preliminary cause of death is gunshot wounds, Bertram Ennett, an investigator with the Fulton County medical examiner, told CNN. A 24-year-old woman who was also shot is in critical condition, police said. Her 5-year-old son was also in the store at the time of the shooting.
Hampton said the dispute was over too much mayo on the sandwich but stressed the focus should be "on the gun violence," not the mayo.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/28/us/subway-worker-mayo-dispute-killing/index.html

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #14523 on: June 28, 2022, 12:53:57 pm »

Increased stress levels in USA:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/28/us/subway-worker-mayo-dispute-killing/index.html

I've been in some Subway shops that have 2 doors. This is a problem. There should only be one hardened door guarded by armed security. The trouble with these public places is that they let in just anyone, how can that be safe? Also, I don't have any inside knowledge but I've never heard of a campaign to arm and train Subway employees on how to properly use a firearm, obviously irresponsible of them.

From what I've read online, always a dubious source, there are only 390 million guns in the US, not hardly enough to maintain security. This is an odd situation though, given that the US has such a high incarceration rate compared to the rest of the world. You'd think a lot of the dangerous people would be inside by now, based on statistics alone. There must be an awful lot more bad guys in the US than previously thought so you need to arm a LOT more "good" guys and train them of course. This is a tough situation, lots of variables. The important thing is that the Supreme Court must never tamper with pervious decisions or amendments, that's always an iffy proposition, never know where that will lead.
--
Robert

TechTalk

« Reply #14524 on: June 28, 2022, 01:38:41 pm »

...Also, I don't have any inside knowledge but I've never heard of a campaign to arm and train Subway employees on how to properly use a firearm, obviously irresponsible of them.

...There must be an awful lot more bad guys in the US than previously thought so you need to arm a LOT more "good" guys...

The cult of gun worshipers is manipulated the same way as every other cult. You use emotions to overcome reason. You constantly cultivate fear to promote owning more guns and more dangerous and deadly variants. Then foster amplified outrage at any attempt at reasonable constraints on your imagined entitlement.

Make people crazy enough with anxiety, fear, outrage, and entitlement and they'll shoot you over any goddamn thing — including a f***ing sandwich.
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

TechTalk

« Reply #14525 on: June 28, 2022, 02:15:22 pm »

A great many citizens in the U.S. have also swallowed the lies and misinformation they've been fed as to the history and purpose of the second amendment. It has created a set of false beliefs regarding gun ownership, gun regulation, and the intentions of those that authored and passed the amendment. But, parroting simple talking points is a lot easier than actually taking a little time to look at actual history and facts and then apply a modicum of reason to them.

The link below is to a somewhat dry and dull discussion of the historical and legal background of "U.S. Gun Rights and Regulations". It is a bit dry and dull as the discussion is with professors of history and law discussing facts as opposed to the usual histrionic talking points being blasted out. I remember watching this and thinking that it did a reasonable job, within the one-hour time frame, of giving a good factual overview that most people could fairly easily understand.

U.S. Gun Rights and Regulations

The National History Center hosted a discussion on gun rights and regulations. Speaking from the Rayburn House Office Building in Washington, D.C., were historian Saul Cornell and law professor Darrell Miller. They delved into the drafting of the U.S. Constitution’s Second Amendment and how it has been interpreted ever since.

https://www.c-span.org/video/us-gun-rights-regulations

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #14526 on: June 28, 2022, 02:23:43 pm »

Depletion (depreciation) allowances are business expenses.

That's not true. It's a tax deduction based on the depletion of the underground oil reserves because the oil companies are pumping a lot out. It's analogous to me having a garage full of widgets and as I sell them I am getting a deduction because my stash of widgets is worth less each year.

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #14527 on: June 28, 2022, 03:39:08 pm »

I expect this prayer in school ruling is going to get interesting. I bet the Satanic Temple will be all over this.
What will happen if the high school coach leads a 50 yard line prayer to Allah?
-MattB

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #14528 on: June 28, 2022, 03:55:38 pm »

I don't think that most economists would agree with California governor Gavin Newsom who instead of addressing the high rate of homelessness and criminality in his state wants to fight inflation with another stimulus round.

https://kiisfm.iheart.com/content/2022-06-27-california-residents-to-receive-up-to-1050-in-inflation-relief-checks/
  Newsom is running for re-election in November.  Democrats are good at buying votes. 

Didn't Biden promise Georgians in the Senate voting in 2021 that they should vote for Democrats to get the $2000 in stimulus money Democrats promised them.  It worked and Democrats wound up winning both senate seats and controlling the Senate.  I bet we'll see a smaller version of the BBB before the election so Democrats can try to hold on to the Senate.  Why do you think they're forgiving college loans?  To buy more votes.  That's why the Fed has to keep printing and we have inflation, high prices and huge debt. Buying votes can get expensive.  :)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #14529 on: June 28, 2022, 04:09:18 pm »

Newsom is running for re-election in November.  Democrats are good at buying votes. 

Didn't Biden promise Georgians in the Senate voting in 2021 that they should vote for Democrats to get the $2000 in stimulus money Democrats promised them.  It worked and Democrats wound up winning both senate seats and controlling the Senate.  I bet we'll see a smaller version of the BBB before the election so Democrats can try to hold on to the Senate.  Why do you think they're forgiving college loans?  To buy more votes.  That's why the Fed has to keep printing and we have inflation, high prices and huge debt. Buying votes can get expensive.  :)

Above and beyond the troll bait. Far more important:
Why today’s 1/6 hearing was utterly devastating for Donald Trump
https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/28/politics/donald-trump-january-6/index.html
The committee’s hearing on Tuesday was something quite different – as Cassidy Hutchinson, a former top aide to Trump White House chief of staff Mark Meadows, provided stirring and intimate details of what happened that day and, specifically, how Donald Trump acted.

It was, in a word, ugly.

Yeah, it was one of the best of the hearings so far, Cassidy Hutchinson was very impressive and hard to believe, 25 or so years old. There IS hope for the younger generation.
The old farts who troll, not at all.  ;D
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #14530 on: June 28, 2022, 04:15:11 pm »

This is why Republicans are so concerned about protecting the vote.  Fortunately in this case, the judge ruled properly.  Hopefully, it will be supported if appealed.

New York judge rules law allowing noncitizens to vote for mayor is unconstitutional
NEW YORK (Reuters) -A New York state judge struck down a recent law on Monday that gave hundreds of thousands of noncitizen residents of New York City the right to vote in municipal elections for mayor and other local offices.
https://news.yahoo.com/york-judge-rules-law-allowing-175714687.html

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #14531 on: June 28, 2022, 04:32:31 pm »

This is why Republicans are so concerned about protecting the vote.  Fortunately in this case, the judge ruled properly.  Hopefully, it will be supported if appealed.

New York judge rules law allowing noncitizens to vote for mayor is unconstitutional
NEW YORK (Reuters) -A New York state judge struck down a recent law on Monday that gave hundreds of thousands of noncitizen residents of New York City the right to vote in municipal elections for mayor and other local offices.
https://news.yahoo.com/york-judge-rules-law-allowing-175714687.html

While some of us were watching an astounding Jan 6th hearing today, how was the episode of “The Beverly Hillbillies” for you?

TechTalk

« Reply #14532 on: June 28, 2022, 04:53:58 pm »

Leaders in the Conservative Movement have been working for decades to suppress voting and to make it as difficult as they are able, in order to win elections; because they've long realized that the more citizens who turn out to vote, the lower their odds of winning. They're more than willing to make voting more difficult for everyone, including some of their own, as long as the overall number of votes being cast is minimized to improve their chances of winning. The strategy relies on having the most outraged and extreme zealots as they have the highest motivation to overcome any obstacles and turnout to vote — or more recently to spread gigantic lies about an election and invade the Capitol.

Paul Weyrich is one of the most influential founders of the modern conservative movement. He co-founded the Heritage Foundation and the extremely powerful group the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) which has had an extraordinary impact on legislation enacted across the country. He also coined the term "moral majority," and co-founded the political action group Moral Majority in 1979 with Jerry Falwell.

Here's Paul Weyrich laying out the New Right's view on voting in well under a minute...

https://www.youtube.com/Paul Weyrich - "I don't want everybody to vote"

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #14533 on: June 28, 2022, 05:15:55 pm »

Leaders in the Conservative Movement have been working for decades to suppress voting and to make it as difficult as they are able, in order to win elections; because they've long realized that the more citizens who turn out to vote, the lower their odds of winning. They're more than willing to make voting more difficult for everyone, including some of their own, as long as the overall number of votes being cast is minimized to improve their chances of winning. The strategy relies on having the most outraged and extreme zealots as they have the highest motivation to overcome any obstacles and turnout to vote — or more recently to spread gigantic lies about an election and invade the Capitol.

Paul Weyrich is one of the most influential founders of the modern conservative movement. He co-founded the Heritage Foundation and the extremely powerful group the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) which has had an extraordinary impact on legislation enacted across the country. He also coined the term "moral majority," and co-founded the political action group Moral Majority in 1979 with Jerry Falwell.

Here's Paul Weyrich laying out the New Right's view on voting in well under a minute...

https://www.youtube.com/Paul Weyrich - "I don't want everybody to vote"
Are you suggesting that we should allow non-citizens to vote? NY law does not allow that and the NY judge ruled that way.  What's the law in your state?

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #14534 on: June 28, 2022, 06:13:57 pm »

Are you suggesting that we should allow non-citizens to vote? NY law does not allow that and the NY judge ruled that way.  What's the law in your state?

That's NOT AT ALL what he was getting at and you know it. I assume you're using some alt-right trolling guidebook. Or are you just a natural at it?
--
Robert

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #14535 on: June 28, 2022, 06:18:40 pm »

That's NOT AT ALL what he was getting at and you know it.

Are you suggesting Alan really knows (understands) what he reads and then writes back?  ;)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #14536 on: June 28, 2022, 06:28:55 pm »

The cult of gun worshipers is manipulated the same way as every other cult. You use emotions to overcome reason. You constantly cultivate fear to promote owning more guns and more dangerous and deadly variants. Then foster amplified outrage at any attempt at reasonable constraints on your imagined entitlement.

Make people crazy enough with anxiety, fear, outrage, and entitlement and they'll shoot you over any goddamn thing — including a f***ing sandwich.
The shooter was not upset about gun laws.  He was upset about the mayo.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #14537 on: June 28, 2022, 06:31:27 pm »

That's not true. It's a tax deduction based on the depletion of the underground oil reserves because the oil companies are pumping a lot out. It's analogous to me having a garage full of widgets and as I sell them I am getting a deduction because my stash of widgets is worth less each year.
Pete, you said there was a car depletion allowance.  What you're now describing is an oil depletion allowance that has nothing to do with tax credits on cars.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #14538 on: June 28, 2022, 06:33:37 pm »

I expect this prayer in school ruling is going to get interesting. I bet the Satanic Temple will be all over this.
What will happen if the high school coach leads a 50 yard line prayer to Allah?
The Supreme Court would apparently rule that's as protected consututionally as any other personal prayer. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #14539 on: June 28, 2022, 06:37:52 pm »

That's NOT AT ALL what he was getting at and you know it. I assume you're using some alt-right trolling guidebook. Or are you just a natural at it?
But that's exactly why Republicans want to have voting laws that protect honest voting.,  Because Democrats want to do away with all protection allowing them to stuff the ballot boxes.  Showing some thirty-year-old stupid statement from some guy has nothing to do with current issues regarding voting rights and rules.  That argument is a strawman.
Pages: 1 ... 725 726 [727] 728 729 ... 808   Go Up