Pages: 1 ... 715 716 [717] 718 719 ... 808   Go Down

Author Topic: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa  (Read 466249 times)

TechTalk

Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #14320 on: June 21, 2022, 02:58:45 pm »

There's more to it than blaming the current politicians in power.

Unfortunately, there are a great many people unwilling to recognize the complexity of things they don't understand, while at the same time refusing to admit that they don't understand them. The world is full of vastly more acquired knowledge than any one person could ever begin to understand and things that they don't understand frightens some people while it fascinates and intrigues others. The world is a complicated and sometimes scary place in which to live.

Fear drives them to accept simple answers from demagogues that stereotype and demonize certain groups they point to as the cause of their fears or they grasp onto an ideology for easy answers which becomes an essential part of their self-identity. What can we do about that? I don't know... it's complicated.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 04:33:08 pm by TechTalk »
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #14321 on: June 21, 2022, 03:06:49 pm »

The breadth and depth of knowledge and experience among the Federal Reserve Board of Governors in economics and finance is far greater than the flimsy set of talking points, which would fit on the back of a cereal box, that you seem to admire. Even accounting for your hyperbole, it's an emotional outburst rather than a serious point for discussion.

As Alan said, "the reason the Fed got it wrong, and keeps getting it wrong, is because they learned it wrong in college".
If these gentlemen were employed by Tesla, Elon Musk would have fired them all a long time ago.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #14322 on: June 21, 2022, 03:18:36 pm »

Both 300dpi Alan?Your consistency these days is noted.

As I remember, Alan mentioned the 300dpi inaccuracy once. Andrew, you repeated it at least 50 times. What's the point?
I'd much rather see the photos of your beautiful dogs than another instance of the 300dpi reference.

TechTalk

« Reply #14323 on: June 21, 2022, 03:23:19 pm »

Biden's closing of the Keystone XL pipeline ... contributed significantly to the shortage and price increase of crude oil.

What "Keystone XL pipeline"? It was an idiotic pipeline proposal which never existed except on paper. Are you really among the group of people that are incapable of understanding this fact?

Those were rushed and vindictive decisions...

The idiotic pipeline proposal was blocked by all kinds of litigation, from all kinds of sources, for many years, starting from the time it was first proposed. How could that be considered rushed? Good Gawd! How difficult is this to understand??!!

A "vindictive decision"? This is all about Elon Musk and Biden for you isn't it? It's getting kind of weird this level of idolization you project for Elon.

TechTalk

« Reply #14324 on: June 21, 2022, 03:28:22 pm »

As I remember, Alan mentioned the 300dpi inaccuracy once. Andrew, you repeated it at least 50 times. What's the point?
I'd much rather see the photos of your beautiful dogs than another instance of the 300dpi reference.

I actually agree with that sentiment. The repetition is grinding.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #14325 on: June 21, 2022, 03:31:48 pm »

What "Keystone XL pipeline"? It was an idiotic pipeline proposal which never existed except on paper. Are you really among the group of people that are incapable of understanding this fact?

The idiotic pipeline proposal was blocked by all kinds of litigation, from all kinds of sources, for many years, starting from the time it was first proposed. How could that be considered rushed? Good Gawd! How difficult is this to understand??!!

A "vindictive decision"? This is all about Elon Musk and Biden for you isn't it? It's getting kind of weird this level of idolization you project for Elon.

I never mentioned Elon Musk, he must be hunting you in your dreams.
The other vindictive individual is Trump. Biden has also a vindictive streak, but he pales relative to Trump.

As to the pipelines, I was always under the impression that they are more efficient and more environmentaly friendly than carrying the stuff in diesel trucks.

TechTalk

« Reply #14326 on: June 21, 2022, 03:49:41 pm »

I never mentioned Elon Musk, he must be hunting you in your dreams.

You've been injecting Elon Musk into discussions in weird ways for a long time Les. You just did it again minutes ago in discussing the Board of Governors of the Fed.

If these gentlemen were employed by Tesla, Elon Musk would have fired them all a long time ago.

You've injected Biden's perceived snub of Musk over and over again into various discussions. That's why I mentioned it. You don't appear to be able to let go of it for very long before bringing the Biden/Musk relationship or Musk alone into any discussion whatever it might be. It's just starting to creep me out a bit... that's all. But, that's just me. Feel free to worship whomever and whatever you like, it's certainly not my decision to make. I just commented on it as it has just seemed so odd to me.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 03:53:12 pm by TechTalk »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #14327 on: June 21, 2022, 03:49:51 pm »

At least 50 times? Exaggerate often? 🤔
The point:
"If I see you make a fool out of yourself, I owe it to you to point that out to you." - Jackee Mason
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

TechTalk

« Reply #14328 on: June 21, 2022, 03:51:38 pm »

As to the pipelines, I was always under the impression that they are more efficient and more environmentaly friendly than carrying the stuff in diesel trucks.

Not when they're just drawings on blueprints. If they actually exist and happen to leak and spill massive amounts of nasty tar sands and chemicals into a water supply that might be a problem.

And if you lay out a map for that kind of pipeline over one of the largest freshwater aquifers in the world, you're a f***ing idiot. In addition to supplying drinking water for millions of people, "Today about 27% of the irrigated land in the entire United States lies over the aquifer, which yields about 30% of the ground water used for irrigation in the United States." That's the reason for the non-stop litigation that prevented the pipeline from moving forward for over a decade.

There was over 2,000 miles of Keystone pipeline completed during the Obama-Biden administration. There has been additional pipeline capacity authorized and opened up by Biden in his short time in office. BUT... The XL Extension was never going to go anywhere because of its completely idiotic route. Are you really not grasping this?

For crying out loud! How many times are we going to go over this same ground? It is a red herring. But if you want to keep bringing it up, I'll keep knocking it down because it's easy.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 05:30:32 pm by TechTalk »

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #14329 on: June 21, 2022, 04:19:32 pm »

You've been injecting Elon Musk into discussions in weird ways for a long time Les. You just did it again minutes ago in discussing the Board of Governors of the Fed.

You've injected Biden's perceived snub of Musk over and over again into various discussions. That's why I mentioned it. You don't appear to be able to let go of it for very long before bringing the Biden/Musk relationship or Musk alone into any discussion whatever it might be. It's just starting to creep me out a bit... that's all. But, that's just me. Feel free to worship whomever and whatever you like, it's certainly not my decision to make. I just commented on it as it has just seemed so odd to me.

Yes, often and often in weird ways, but usually connected to some relevant fact.
I didn't mention Musk in reference to my post about Biden cancelling the Keystone XL pipeline on his first day in office on Jan. 21, 2021 - Trump was the subject of Biden's vindictiveness in that case.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #14330 on: June 21, 2022, 04:25:38 pm »

I didn't mention Musk in reference to my post about Biden cancelling the Keystone XL pipeline on his first day in office on Jan. 21, 2021 - Trump was the subject of Biden's vindictiveness in that case.
Biden's vindictiveness?
You spend much time inside Biden's head? Maybe you were in Obama's head, he stalled it long before Trump took office (and rightfully so "As part of his ambitious plan to address climate change"):

https://www.npr.org/sections/inauguration-day-live-updates/2021/01/20/958823085/biden-order-blocks-keystone-xl-pipeline
As part of his ambitious plan to address climate change, President Biden is revoking a key cross-border presidential permit needed to finish the controversial Keystone XL pipeline

This likely means the end of the $8 billion pipeline, a years-long project that would have carried oil sands crude from Alberta, Canada, to the American Gulf Coast. The pipeline has come to signify the debate over whether fossil fuels should be left in the ground in order to rein in greenhouse gas emissions and avoid the worst damage from climate change.

President Barack Obama rejected the project in 2015. President Donald Trump revived it as one of his first actions in office**.

**Obama was the subject of Trumps vindictiveness.... :D

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #14331 on: June 21, 2022, 04:32:31 pm »

Biden's vindictiveness?
You spend much time inside Biden's head? Maybe you were in Obama's head, he stalled it long before Trump took office (and rightfully so "As part of his ambitious plan to address climate change"):

https://www.npr.org/sections/inauguration-day-live-updates/2021/01/20/958823085/biden-order-blocks-keystone-xl-pipeline
**Obama was the subject of Trumps vindictiveness.... :D

Good thing you are not vindictive.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #14332 on: June 21, 2022, 04:41:28 pm »

Good thing you are not vindictive.
Good thing you don't assume as excessively as Alan
Good thing few are as vindictive as Trump.

TechTalk

« Reply #14333 on: June 21, 2022, 04:50:26 pm »

How would you characterize claiming that someone "closing" a pipeline which never existed "contributed significantly to the shortage and price increase of crude oil"?

Do you think that it's possible that someone might perceive that to be a vindictive false claim born out of anger over a perceived snub of someone's hero?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #14334 on: June 21, 2022, 05:06:52 pm »

First, the Fed's authority and domain, important as it may be, is limited. Congress appropriates stimulus funds thru legislation and the Treasury authorizes and oversees its distribution and investigates instances of fraud, not the Feral Reserve. The Fed has no legislative authority. It functions as a central bank for the principle purpose of overseeing monetary policy and establishing interest rates, but there are a great many financial matters outside of its jurisdiction.

Nowhere in your ramble do you mention Congress or the Department of Treasury. You give the appearance of not understanding how authority is divided and the basic roles played by various institutions of government in matters of economics. So, I don't really see any point in chasing after this horse, which has already been beaten to death, that you're attempting to make run again.
You're attacking Les for a minor detail of which agency is responsible but missed his whole point.  The government allowed hundreds of billions of dollars in theft to go without investigation and penalties.  Small business owners that were supposed to hire laid-off employees with Federal money kept it for themselves.  Meanwhile, the laid-off employees received both state and federal unemployment insurance greater than what they would have made from salaries if they worked.  So they didn't go back to work causing businesses to not have workers available when the economy started to improve.  This added to the lack of productivity of the country which added to raising prices due to inflation. 

As usual, the government trying to do the right thing, wound up hurting everything.  If they would only mind their business, and let the free market work more, we wouldn't have such economic problems now. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #14335 on: June 21, 2022, 05:10:52 pm »

You yet again miss the point. It's not about blaming other countries (where *DO* you get these ideas?), but rather the fact that inflation in other countries cannot be the result of US government policies. Our inflation is part of the worldwide trend. It is not the result of our government policies.
Other countries have higher prices due to similar inflation of their currencies.  Their central banks are printing too.  All the boys are acting bad.  :)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #14336 on: June 21, 2022, 05:34:35 pm »

In all the excitement, we forgot about the summer stolstice.
Here is an image I took a few years ago on June 22nd after 10pm at the North Shore of Lake Superior.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #14337 on: June 21, 2022, 05:38:44 pm »

How would you characterize claiming that someone "closing" a pipeline which never existed "contributed significantly to the shortage and price increase of crude oil"?

Do you think that it's possible that someone might perceive that to be a vindictive false claim born out of anger over a perceived snub of someone's hero?
Biden's shutdown of the pipeline on his first day in office sent a strong message to oil companies and wildcatters.  No sane oil exploration company is going to invest very much in domestic exploration when they know Biden could shut them down on a whim.  Considering the cost of oil today at over $100 a barrel, you'd ordinarily get the majors and independent wildcatters to invest in fracking and other drilling.  But why would they chance losing money?  So now, America has gone from independence to having to beg Venezuela and that Saudi killer to up their oil production when we could have bought from our friends in Canada or made more of our own and kept the income for ourselves.  Meanwhile, we buy half a million barrels daily from the Russians while Europe is cutting Russia off after Biden approved the Nordstrom pipeline from Russia.  Trump was right when he told Germany not to do it.  Dopey Biden approved it and it wasn't months later that Russia used it to blackmail Europe from supporting Ukraine.  Frankly, it seems Europe has more steel in their spines than my own president.

So now $5 a gallon is going to Saudi killers, Venezuelan Communists, Iranian mullahs, and Russian oligarchs.  How's that smart?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 05:42:21 pm by Alan Klein »

TechTalk

« Reply #14338 on: June 21, 2022, 06:18:19 pm »

Biden's ... stopping all drilling on federal lands contributed significantly to the shortage and price increase of crude oil.

Oil companies submit an Application for Permit to Drill (APD) for approval by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) to drill on public lands.

• During his first week in office, Biden issued an executive order instructing the Interior Department to pause all new lease sales on public lands and waters while it reviewed how to adjust the program.

• During Biden's first year in office the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) approved an average of 333 drilling permits per month. Trump's first year in office, BLM approved an average of 245 drilling permits per month.

• The Biden administration approved 3,557 permits for oil and gas drilling on public lands in its first year. The Trump administration’s first-year total was 2,658.

Here's a map of the 3,557 oil and gas drilling permits issued in Biden's first year

https://news.yahoo.com/why-biden-is-approving-public-lands-oil-drilling-permits-faster-than-trump-did-and-angering-environmentalists

Why Biden is approving public lands oil drilling permits faster than Trump did — and angering environmentalists

Yahoo News - December 7, 2021 · 7 min read

The Biden administration has issued more permits for oil and gas drilling on public land per month than the Trump administration did in its first three years, according to a new analysis of federal data.

The consumer advocacy group Public Citizen found that the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) has approved an average of 333 drilling permits per month since Biden took office earlier this year. By comparison, in 2017, Trump's first year in office, BLM approved an average of 245 drilling permits per month. In 2018 and 2019, BLM also approved fewer than 300 permits per month, but monthly permits jumped to 452 in 2020 as fossil fuel companies stocked up on them in anticipation of an administration less supportive of drilling.

The industry’s fears were apparently unfounded. The high number of drilling permits issued under Biden concerns government watchdogs who complain that fossil fuel extraction on public land worsens climate change and shortchanges taxpayers — as the Department of Interior (DOI) itself found in a recent report.

“Without aggressive government action, the fossil fuel industry will continue creating enormous amounts of climate-destroying pollution exploiting lands owned by the public,” said Alan Zibel, a Public Citizen researcher and the author of the study, released on Monday.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 12:48:20 am by TechTalk »

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #14339 on: June 21, 2022, 06:19:43 pm »

So now $5 a gallon is going to Saudi killers, Venezuelan Communists, Iranian mullahs, and Russian oligarchs.  How's that smart?

Does trolling pay well? ;)
--
Robert
Pages: 1 ... 715 716 [717] 718 719 ... 808   Go Up