Pages: 1 ... 630 631 [632] 633 634 ... 808   Go Down

Author Topic: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa  (Read 466298 times)

TechTalk

Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #12620 on: December 10, 2021, 11:32:39 am »

They selected a weak candidate, past his prime, who...

won with 7 million more votes than traitor to his country Trump.
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #12621 on: December 10, 2021, 11:35:02 am »

I'm far more cynical than you. I doubt "most Americans" even remember Afghanistan.
Unfortunately, you're probably right.  Most people are concerned first with their pocketbooks.  Those poor SOB's who trusted us in Afghanistan will remember of course.  And when we need to get allies in the future, will we be able to do it?  Or will their lack of trust in us protecting them keep them away from any relations with us? 

If you were Taiwanese, would you feel more confident today after the pullout that Biden is on your side against the Chinese Communists on the mainland? Or will he be willing to throw in the towel if it's convenient for him?  Never mind the Taiwanese.  How about Ukraine? Our NATO allies?  Canada?  How much trust in America was lost when Biden pulled out of Afghanistan the way he did leaving friends to be executed?  If you were Russian or Chinese, would you be more daring to force your own way on important issues fearing less that Biden will do anything to stop you?  I think Biden's about to be tested.   I hope he passes the test.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #12622 on: December 10, 2021, 11:47:41 am »

won with 7 million more votes than traitor to his country Trump.
How do 7 million votes change Biden from being a weak and ineffective leader who lies all the time about important issues?  Those votes don't mean anything now when 60% of the people think he's doing a lousy job, including millions of the people who voted for him. 

And no, Trump wasn't a traitor.  He didn't collude with the Russians.  You really need to get over that.  In any case, the country is focused on the new president - Biden.  He's the one making policy.  You can't blame the last guy for bad decisions being made today.  Voters aren't stupid.  They're not buying into your blaming Trump.  They finally figured out that's been a diversion from bad policies coming from Democrats.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #12623 on: December 10, 2021, 11:54:49 am »

And no, Trump wasn't a traitor.  He didn't collude with the Russians. 
Spoken like a guy who hasn't graduated from.... certainly law school. It is still under investigation but don't let that get in your way of making assumptions about what Trump did or didn't do.
You can't blame the last guy for bad decisions being made today
Like large percentage of morons who will not get vaccinated, (think injecting bleach or taking horse de wormer is a good idea), and the insurrection under investitation. There's more but I'll only add two for you to ignore.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #12624 on: December 10, 2021, 11:57:19 am »

Well, there might have been problems with that last election in Georgia but the problem may not have been what some people think, https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/usa-election-threats-georgia/.
--
Robert

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #12625 on: December 10, 2021, 12:01:06 pm »

Unfortunately, you're probably right.  Most people are concerned first with their pocketbooks.  Those poor SOB's who trusted us in Afghanistan will remember of course.  And when we need to get allies in the future, will we be able to do it?  Or will their lack of trust in us protecting them keep them away from any relations with us? 

If you were Taiwanese, would you feel more confident today after the pullout that Biden is on your side against the Chinese Communists on the mainland? Or will he be willing to throw in the towel if it's convenient for him?  Never mind the Taiwanese.  How about Ukraine? Our NATO allies?  Canada?  How much trust in America was lost when Biden pulled out of Afghanistan the way he did leaving friends to be executed?  If you were Russian or Chinese, would you be more daring to force your own way on important issues fearing less that Biden will do anything to stop you?  I think Biden's about to be tested.   I hope he passes the test.

Maybe we should ask the Taiwanese what they thought about Trump.  :)

Trump reneged on many international agreements. He tried to block 3M's sale of Covid PPE to Canada at a critical moment. Nobody, anywhere, trusts that slime ball. What are you talking about?
--
Robert

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #12626 on: December 10, 2021, 12:22:02 pm »

Maybe we should ask the Taiwanese what they thought about Trump.  :)

Trump reneged on many international agreements. He tried to block 3M's sale of Covid PPE to Canada at a critical moment. Nobody, anywhere, trusts that slime ball. What are you talking about?
As far as I could tell, there was no government-to-government deal regarding masks.  This was a deal the American company 3M Company had with selling masks to Canadian importers.  At the start of Covid, the president thought those masks should stay in America where we needed them.  If I recall correctly, at the time, every country was trying to make deals to secure more masks for themselves as there were not enough to go around.  To expect an American president to just sit back and do nothing is expecting too much. 

In any case, they apparently resolved the issue.  May I remind you too, that Trump made vaccines and respirators and lots of other Covid health products available to countries around the world, often at no cost.  Of course, he prioritized Americans first.  That's his job just as your PM Trudeau prioritized Canadians. 

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #12627 on: December 10, 2021, 12:23:49 pm »

GM's development lineup of EVs is pretty impressive with many to be released in the next couple of years. How is this not being a leader? And of course Biden's comments are just political boosterism and not meant to be taken as literal truth. For a Trump supporter like you to suddenly be concerned with the accuracy of the president's statements smacks of extreme hypocrisy.

First of all, I was never Trump supporter. Where did you get that impression? Actually, I had high hopes for Biden, but now I wish some other Democrat woud have won the nomination.

Secondly, GM stopped completely production of Bolt cars because of the battery fires and in their astuteness advised all Bolt owners to park their cars at least 50 ft from their houses.
At present time, GM is not producing any EVs and at the recent car show in Las Vegas they were one of the few companies without any EVs on the show floor.

Their line-up of new EVs is anything but impressive. Hummer and Silverado will be way too heavy and overly expensive. Hummer EV weight is specified at 9,046 lbs and Silverado scheduled for 2023 won't be much lighter. Cadillac Lyriq looks quite nice, but everything about it is shrouded in mystery. GM opened the reservation website for Lyriq on September 18 for exactly 19 minutes, accepted an unknown number of 2023 models and promptly closed the website. I suspect that GM knows that they will lose money on the first batch of these cars or are worried about another possible defect and that's why they decided to keep this production run small. Although GM's CEO Mary Barra boasted about the success of the Wuling micro EV in China, GM is not the manufacturer, merely a 1/3rd investor in the Wuling/SAI/GM venture, and that little car selling for $4,000 could never pass the USA safety regulations.

From the financial point of view, GM car sales have been steadily declining, the company has debt over $100B, and it runs the debt every year higher by spending lavishly on car shows and other advertising. Hardly a recipe for survival. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #12628 on: December 10, 2021, 12:28:30 pm »

First of all, I was never Trump supporter. Where did you get that impression? Actually, I had high hopes for Biden, but now I wish some other Democrat woud have won the nomination.

Secondly, GM stopped completely production of Bolt cars because of the battery fires and in their astuteness advised all Bolt owners to park their cars at least 50 ft from their houses.
At present time, GM is not producing any EVs and at the recent car show in Las Vegas they were one of the few companies without any EVs on the show floor.

Their line-up of new EVs is anything but impressive. Hummer and Silverado will be way too heavy and overly expensive. Hummer EV weight is specified at 9,046 lbs and Silverado scheduled for 2023 won't be much lighter. Cadillac Lyriq looks quite nice, but everything about it is shrouded in mystery. GM opened the reservation website for Lyriq on September 18 for exactly 19 minutes, accepted an unknown number of 2023 models and promptly closed the website. I suspect that GM knows that they will lose money on the first batch of these cars or are worried about another possible defect and that's why they decided to keep this production run small. Although GM's CEO Mary Barra boasted about the success of the Wuling micro EV in China, GM is not the manufacturer, merely a 1/3rd investor in the Wuling/SAI/GM venture, and that little car selling for $4,000 could never pass the USA safety regulations.

From the financial point of view, GM car sales have been steadily declining, the company has debt over $100B, and it runs the debt every year higher by spending lavishly on car shows and other advertising. Hardly a recipe for survival. 
There are a lot of zombie American corporations living on debt courtesy of the Fed including GM.  When the recession hits, and bubbles burst, a lot of companies are going bankrupt this time.  Unless the government decides to bail them out again with more debt and printing.  Anyway it's handled, it's going to be a financial disaster for the country and maybe the world.  I better get a haircut soon before I can't afford it anymore. 

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #12629 on: December 10, 2021, 12:41:26 pm »

There are a lot of zombie American corporations living on debt courtesy of the Fed including GM.  When the recession hits, and bubbles burst, a lot of companies are going bankrupt this time.  Unless the government decides to bail them out again with more debt and printing.  Anyway it's handled, it's going to be a financial disaster for the country and maybe the world.  I better get a haircut soon before I can't afford it anymore.

Have your wife trim your hair.
In the recent WSJ interview, Elon Musk sported a hair cut reminiscent of Kim Jong-un's mushroom hairstyle. Not as good looking as his cars or rockets. He confirmed that he cut his hair himself.   
« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 12:50:38 pm by LesPalenik »

Peter McLennan

« Reply #12630 on: December 10, 2021, 02:06:32 pm »

And no, Trump wasn't a traitor.

You're wrong.  He IS a traitor.  Both to America and to Democracy itself.

He continues to refuse to concede an election that (so far) over sixty courts have proven he lost.

In a recorded phone call he attempted to convince the Secretary of State of Georgia to "find" enough votes to reverse the result in his favour.

He fomented a insurrection on the National Capitol to attempt to reverse that same election.

You just can't get any more un-American or anti-democracy than that.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #12631 on: December 10, 2021, 02:54:01 pm »

You're wrong.  He IS a traitor.  Both to America and to Democracy itself.

He continues to refuse to concede an election that (so far) over sixty courts have proven he lost.

In a recorded phone call he attempted to convince the Secretary of State of Georgia to "find" enough votes to reverse the result in his favour.

He fomented a insurrection on the National Capitol to attempt to reverse that same election.

You just can't get any more un-American or anti-democracy than that.

Hillary in 2016 tried to get Trump electors to change their votes to her so she could win the presidency. Doesn't sound democratic to me.  She still complains she won the election not accepting our constitution and electoral system.  Is she a traitor or just bitching like Trump?  Trump and she ought to get together for lunch and commiserate together.

But that's OK.  You keep talking about Trump as the rest of the voters move on.  Biden's even losing in the one area he had been getting better marks - Covid.  Voters don't think he's doing well in any area including that and want Republicans to run congress for the first time in years.

Public view on Biden’s handling of Covid and the economy takes another hit, CNBC survey shows
At 46% approval to 48% disapproval, Biden’s approval rating on the coronavirus is now underwater for the first time.

His economic approval sank more deeply underwater, with 37% approving compared to 56% who disapprove, down from 40% approval to 54% in the second quarter survey.

“The Covid (approval) number is actually I think the more important one,” said Micah Roberts, partner at Public Opinion Strategies, the Republican pollster for the survey “As goes COVID, so goes the Biden presidency, and that’s really proving to be quite true.”

As bad as Biden’s number may be, the polling data for Democrats in Congress is far worse.

Republicans now sport a historic 10-point advantage when Americans are asked which party they prefer to control Congress, holding a 44%-34% margin over Democrats. That’s up from a 2-point Republican advantage in the October survey.

In the past 20 years, CNBC and NBC surveys have never registered a double-digit Republican advantage on congressional preference, with the largest lead ever being 4 pints for the GOP.

“If the election were tomorrow, it would be an absolute unmitigated disaster for the Democrats,″ said Jay Campbell, partner at Hart Research Associates and the Democratic pollster for the survey.

American’s views on the state of the economy look to have helped drag down both Biden’s and the Democrats’ numbers.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/10/public-view-on-bidens-handling-of-covid-and-the-economy-takes-another-hit-cnbc-survey-shows.html

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #12632 on: December 10, 2021, 03:02:30 pm »

Hillary in 2016 tried to get Trump electors to change their votes to her so she could win the presidency.
Wrong again; Hillary did not (but someone did, a man you clearly confused with Hillary). Nothing new. Did you hear that on Fox "News"?
Doesn't sound democratic to me.
But just the one call to Georgia's Brad Raffensperger demanding he 'find" 11K votes for him, that's fine with you. One of many examples you've ignored it appears.
You keep talking about Trump as the rest of the voters move on.
So you didn't vote in the last election. You keep talking about Trump here.
Meanwhile, those of us who did vote don't fall into your generalizations and assumptions about voters.  ;)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #12633 on: December 10, 2021, 04:01:14 pm »

We were arguing recently whether inflation was the highest in thirteen years or thirty.  Scratch that. Now it seems inflation is the highest in 39 years.  Biden should have stayed in the basement.

Inflation surged 6.8% in November, even more than expected, to fastest rate since 1982
President Joe Biden has been paying a political price for surging prices: A recent CNBC survey showed his approval rating stuck at just 41%, due in large part to 56% of respondents who disapprove of his economic record, compared to just 37% who approve.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/10/consumer-price-index-november-2021.html

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #12634 on: December 10, 2021, 04:05:26 pm »

When your audience shows you've provided wrong and absurd text, ignore being called out and digress to something else:
Inflation surged 6.8% in November, even more than expected, to fastest rate since 1982
Like:
US jobless claims plunge to lowest level in 52 years amid seasonal volatility
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/dec/09/us-jobless-claims-plunge-lowest-level-52-years-unemployment

What's his old and tired saying; Biden owns it.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #12635 on: December 10, 2021, 04:29:16 pm »

You keep talking about Trump as the rest of the voters move on. 

Is that what you'd like?  That "the rest of the voters move on" ? The guy tried several times publicly to subvert both America and democracy. Why he's not charged with treason is beyond me.

Do you actually have a reasoned response to ANYTHING that doesn't map to your narrow, distorted word view?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #12636 on: December 10, 2021, 04:34:46 pm »

It looks like GM is going to build a new factory, their third, for batteries for EVs in Michigan.

GM eyeing $2.5 billion investment for new battery cell plant in Lansing area
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/general-motors/2021/12/10/gm-eyes-lansing-area-site-third-battery-plant/6450751001/

TechTalk

« Reply #12637 on: December 10, 2021, 04:36:26 pm »

We were arguing recently whether inflation was the highest in thirteen years or thirty.

I simply corrected your misquoting of a NY Times article.
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #12638 on: December 10, 2021, 04:39:40 pm »

Is that what you'd like?  That "the rest of the voters move on" ? The guy tried several times publicly to subvert both America and democracy. Why he's not charged with treason is beyond me.

Do you actually have a reasoned response to ANYTHING that doesn't map to your narrow, distorted word view?

Maybe Canadians haven't moved on. :) 

The only reason Democrats in America keep talking about Trump is because they can't talk about what positive things Biden's doing.  He's down big time in every poll.  So they focus on Trump hoping that works for them as it has in the past.  Trouble is only Democrat stalwarts are listening.  The rest of the country could care less if Trump goes to jail.  They want to know why meat costs so much and what Biden is doing about it. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #12639 on: December 10, 2021, 04:41:21 pm »

I simply corrected your misquoting of a NY Times article.
Well, that disagreement is over.  We're now at 39 years.  Do we agree on that?
Pages: 1 ... 630 631 [632] 633 634 ... 808   Go Up