Pages: 1 ... 570 571 [572] 573 574 ... 808   Go Down

Author Topic: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa  (Read 471096 times)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #11420 on: September 16, 2021, 05:07:19 pm »

Since we can share clips, this had my on the floor laughing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVMrSADY2Pc
Nicki Minaj's Cousin's Friend's Testicles Are Still The Week's Biggest Story
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

TechTalk

« Reply #11421 on: September 16, 2021, 05:36:25 pm »

Thanks! That gave me some needed laughs!
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

Peter McLennan

« Reply #11422 on: September 16, 2021, 06:29:37 pm »

Thanks! That gave me some needed laughs!

And me!  Colbert still rules.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #11423 on: September 16, 2021, 08:00:59 pm »

You were quicker on the draw than I was Andrew...

The country most upset with Australia deciding to acquire nuclear submarines, rather than the previously planned French diesel subs, is China.

https://apnews.com/article/technology-joe-biden-australia-china

China said the alliance would severely damage regional peace and stability, and jeopardize efforts to halt nuclear weapon proliferation. It said it was “highly irresponsible” for the U.S. and Britain to export the nuclear technology, and that Australia was to blame for a breakdown in bilateral relations.

“The most urgent task is for Australia to correctly recognize the reasons for the setbacks in the relations between the two countries, and think carefully whether to treat China as a partner or a threat,” said Zhao Lijian, a spokesperson of China’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Beijing has been unhappy with the Biden administration calling it out over human rights abuses in the Xianjing region, the crackdown on democracy activists in Hong Kong, and cybersecurity breaches. Biden spoke by phone with China’s President Xi Jinping last week. After the call, the official Xinhua News Agency reported that Xi expressed concerns that U.S. government policy toward China has caused “serious difficulties” in relations.
I'm happy that Biden is being tough on China.  He still hasn't reversed Trump's tariffs on them. My post was about how the French complained about Trump before and now have Biden who's treating them worse.  Well, the French are always complaining about America. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #11424 on: September 16, 2021, 08:16:00 pm »

Some time ago, I watched with amusement as a rear admiral tried to explain submarine technology to an Australian senator during a 2017 hearing regarding the contract with France for diesel subs. The dimwitted Senator Pauline Hanson is the founder and leader of One Nation, a far-right populist party. She reminds me a good deal of Trump. She made wild assumptions and assertions regarding first the propulsion system and then the power system limiting the ability to stay submerged for only 20-minutes. The rear admiral summoned all of his patience and self-control in dealing with her asinine questions.

Here's a short excerpt clip that's just over 2-minutes long.

https://www.youtube.com/Rear Admiral Schools Senator in Submarine Capabilities

If you want the full 12-minute version, it is linked below.

https://www.youtube.com/Pauline Hanson asks if pump-jet submarines can only stay underwater for 20mins
You totally misunderstood her point.  She did mention the twenty minutes that had to do with something else other than subs.  But then asked a question about whether the electric non-nuclear subs Australia made a deal to buy from France could stay underwater for more than three days as nuclear subs can do.  It seems she was concerned that the deal Australia made with France didn't measure up to nuclear subs.  The Admiral defended their position of wanting to buy electric subs. 

So it turns out four years later she was right and the Admiral was wrong.  Why?  Because now Australia is going to buy American nuclear subs dropping the purchase of French electric subs and infuriating Macron.  Apparently, the red-headed legislator knew more about subs than the Admiral. 

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #11425 on: September 16, 2021, 08:38:32 pm »

My post was about how the French complained about Trump before and now have Biden who's treating them worse. 
Nope, not even close. You totally misunderstood the point. Your own point which was ridiculous as usual:
Looks like France may change its mind about Trump.
Fiction based on assumption, based on nonsense.
Apparently, the red-headed legislator knew more about subs than the Admiral.
Fiction based on assumption, based on nonsense.

TechTalk

« Reply #11426 on: September 16, 2021, 09:04:59 pm »

You totally misunderstood her point.

No. I understood it quite clearly. Pauline Hanson was blindly fishing for some way to score some political point (like you) and was in over her head, drowning in stupidity. Rear Admiral Greg Sammut was trying to bring her up to the surface, where reality exists, with clearly stated facts.

The Admiral defended their position of wanting to buy electric subs.

Those decisions, just as in the U.S., are made by legislators. Legislators decided that the more expensive nuclear subs were not what the the country required for their defense at that point in time and were not the best use of their resources.

The rear admiral was simply informing her of the facts regarding the process and technology... or trying to.

Apparently, the red-headed legislator knew more about subs than the Admiral.

Clearly not the case. How completely ridiculous.

TechTalk

« Reply #11427 on: September 16, 2021, 09:12:59 pm »

Well, the French are always complaining about America.

No. They aren't. It's all that you choose to hear.

By the way, I know that you prefer simple stereotypes, but "the French" aren't a singular entity with thoughts and opinions. France has millions of individuals, each with their own thoughts and opinions.

TechTalk

« Reply #11428 on: September 16, 2021, 09:18:10 pm »

My post was about how the French complained about Trump before and now have Biden who's treating them worse.

Congratulations. Mine was about the government of China's response.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #11429 on: September 16, 2021, 09:36:23 pm »

No. I understood it quite clearly. Pauline Hanson was blindly fishing for some way to score some political point (like you) and was in over her head, drowning in stupidity. Rear Admiral Greg Sammut was trying to bring her up to the surface, where reality exists, with clearly stated facts.

Those decisions, just as in the U.S., are made by legislators. Legislators decided that the more expensive nuclear subs were not what the the country required for their defense at that point in time and were not the best use of their resources.

The rear admiral was simply informing her of the facts regarding the process and technology... or trying to.

Clearly not the case. How completely ridiculous.
I'll let people watch the two minutes than compare to the fact that Australia cancelled the Frech electric submarine purchase and went with America;s nuclear.  The legislator understood it was a stupid thing the Australians were doing in 2017 buying WWII electric type subs to go against the Chinese instead of nuclear which can stay down for months not days.  The admiral was defending old technology.  The legislator was asking why he wasn't going with modern technology.  I'm sure glad you're not the person deciding what subs America should buy.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #11430 on: September 16, 2021, 09:41:52 pm »

This is perfect for you Alan:
https://www.cultofmac.com/752522/intro-to-professional-photography-lightroom-photoshop/
Then, if you can learn the basics, you can work on submarine design decisions.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #11431 on: September 16, 2021, 09:42:51 pm »

No. They aren't. It's all that you choose to hear.

By the way, I know that you prefer simple stereotypes, but "the French" aren't a singular entity with thoughts and opinions. France has millions of individuals, each with their own thoughts and opinions.
The French want to run the world.  They often fought with Great Britain in centuries past.  Even Charles DeGaulle was upset decades ago about NATO and always riled against America.  It now torments them that GB joined with America and Australia and pushed France aside.  You see, France made a claim under TRump that they wanted to head up and run Europe's defence and push the US aside when Trump got testy with NATO nations.  So now France has squat and they're pissed they've been marginalized especially by GB who pulled out of the EU. 

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #11432 on: September 16, 2021, 10:00:55 pm »

The French want to run the world.  They often fought with Great Britain in centuries past.  Even Charles DeGaulle was upset decades ago about NATO and always riled against America.  It now torments them that GB joined with America and Australia and pushed France aside.  You see, France made a claim under TRump that they wanted to head up and run Europe's defence and push the US aside when Trump got testy with NATO nations.  So now France has squat and they're pissed they've been marginalized especially by GB who pulled out of the EU.
The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.” - Writer Harlan Ellison
On Lula, stupidity comes first as just illustrated above.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #11433 on: September 16, 2021, 10:19:10 pm »

Meanwhile, the big John Durham investigation on the Russia probe that would bring down so many and vindicate Trump is a big nothing burger:

Lawyer indicted on charges of lying to FBI as part of Durham probe into Trump-Russia investigation
The criminal charge on Thursday quickly became an underwhelming mark in a special counsel investigation that for years sought to unearth failures in the FBI and intelligence community's efforts in the early Russia investigation -- only to land on a single charge against a low-profile outside attorney.
 The former President publicly said he wanted charges against former top FBI and intelligence officials and that he expected Durham to present a public report before last year's election.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/09/16/politics/john-durham-probe-nears-end-trump-russia/index.html
Clinton Foundation and Servers, Benghazi investigation? Here's another burger for Alan and friends to digest.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #11434 on: September 16, 2021, 11:17:57 pm »

The French want to run the world.

Definitely a coffee-spitter, that one.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #11435 on: September 16, 2021, 11:27:58 pm »

Definitely a coffee-spitter, that one.
Indeed. Does anyone other than Alan Klein take Alan Klein seriously?

TechTalk

« Reply #11436 on: September 17, 2021, 12:03:40 am »

I'll let people watch the two minutes than [then] compare...

Watch the full 12-minutes if you want context in addition to comic relief.

The legislator understood it was a stupid thing the Australians were doing in 2017...

Stupidity often results from a black & white, closed loop, rigid, narrow reaction (I would hesitate to call it thinking) in the attempt to score some sort of point in a political game. There were—and are—advantages and disadvantages (beyond the obvious cost, complexity, maintenance, nuclear waste, etc. considerations) which were weighed in making the decision several years ago to continue to use diesel electric submarines—which were reconsidered over time and with changes in elected government. Reconsidering decisions over time and reaching different conclusions is something that people whose thinking and attitudes are not set in concrete actually do on occasion.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-16/why-australia-wants-nuclear-submarines

nuclear-powered submarines can go faster, and stay underwater for longer. But they are often bigger in size, which makes them less nimble in shallow coastal waters.

So, there are strategic advantages and disadvantages.

Nuclear-powered submarines would allow the Australian Navy to patrol more of the Indo-Pacific region for longer, which could be particularly handy at a time of competing territorial claims for strategic waters.

But diesel or electric-powered submarines excel in coastal waters like those to the north and north-west of Australia. According to the former director of the Australian Submarine Corporation, Hans J Ohff, they are better suited to deployments in estuaries. According to many analysts, they are better suited to defending coastlines or ports if invaded.

These [nuclear] submarines will not be able to dock in New Zealand, which has a long-standing ban on nuclear-powered vessels. They may also not be able to visit some Pacific Islands that have taken similar measures. This could reduce naval cooperation with these nations.

There were also numerous reports in the Australian press, long before today's announcement, of problems and delays with the French company contracted for the diesel electric version.

buying WWII electric type subs...

Really? Has your car changed any since the 1940s? How about diesel powered armored tanks, any changes there? Do you think somehow conventionally powered subs haven't been modernized over the past several decades? Stop trying to throw out reactions as fast as you can and try thinking.

to go against the Chinese...

Really? Do you think Australia, with its current grand total of six submarines, expects to take on China alone?

China already has nuclear-powered submarines, and this switch of strategy would see Australia match – or come close to – its capabilities.

China has six Shang-class nuclear-powered attack submarines. Each one is 110 metres long and capable of carrying cruise missiles and torpedoes.

But it also has 50 diesel/electric attack submarines, making its submarine fleet significantly larger than Australia's.

The admiral was defending old technology.  The legislator was asking why he wasn't going with modern technology.

No. The decision to go with diesel subs had already been made by others. He wasn't defending the idea one way or another in their back and forth. He was correcting her ridiculous assumptions about propulsion systems and power plants—and the stupid idea that either would limit a new sub to 20-minutes submerged. You hear what you want to hear—rather than what was actually said.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 12:06:41 am by TechTalk »

TechTalk

« Reply #11437 on: September 17, 2021, 12:13:12 am »

I'm sure glad you're not the person deciding what subs America should buy.

So am I, it's a job best left to experts. This would not include you either by the way... or Australian Senator Pauline Hanson.

TechTalk

« Reply #11438 on: September 17, 2021, 12:17:13 am »

By the way, I know that you prefer simple stereotypes

The French want to run the world.

You don't need to rush to confirm what I've posted. Take your time if you like.

TechTalk

« Reply #11439 on: September 17, 2021, 08:13:33 am »

She did mention the twenty minutes that had to do with something else other than subs.

Wrong! Completely wrong! Totally wrong! How is it possible for you to say that: "had to do with something else other than subs"? And do so immediately after telling me: "You totally misunderstood her point." Do you not care at all how foolish—not to mention hypocritical—you look?

When "She" [Pauline Hanson] says in the first 9-seconds of the excerpt video: "Now is it true that pump jet submarines can only stay underwater for 20-minutes?"—please explain how "that had to do with something else other than subs"! Did you think that she was asking how long her toes should soak before her pedicure? This level of confusion is something that would warrant seeing your doctor.

And the poor rear admiral, who has to answer her, had already explained to her [in the longer 12-minute video I linked] at length and in detail that a pump jet was simply the modern propulsion replacement for a conventional propeller—which explains his controlled flat response of "No Senator... can I just be clear again".
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 09:08:38 am by TechTalk »
Pages: 1 ... 570 571 [572] 573 574 ... 808   Go Up