Pages: 1 ... 542 543 [544] 545 546 ... 808   Go Down

Author Topic: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa  (Read 466387 times)

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #10860 on: June 03, 2021, 01:05:28 pm »

A Texas story about guns and dogs, https://www.huffpost.com/entry/texas-woman-shoots-son-dog_n_60b83ce2e4b02df1ad873652

The fact that she even had the impulse to shoot the dog in the first place seems weird to me. I hope Texas will allow dogs to “open carry” so they can defend themselves in future. :)
--
Robert

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #10861 on: June 03, 2021, 01:14:53 pm »

A Texas story about guns and dogs, https://www.huffpost.com/entry/texas-woman-shoots-son-dog_n_60b83ce2e4b02df1ad873652

The fact that she even had the impulse to shoot the dog in the first place seems weird to me. I hope Texas will allow dogs to “open carry” so they can defend themselves in future. :)

The guy who owned Bruno the dog seemed very nonchalant after the three shots walking back slowly to his house.  Shootings must go on all the time there.  Well it is Texas.   Must have rustlers.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #10862 on: June 03, 2021, 01:15:08 pm »

I'm sure you're saving from solar. 
You're sure. And you're again wrong. Not if saving means the money I don't pay for electricity and the 10 cents per Kilowatt I get back pays for the panel. Not yet. Not for years.
I didn't invest in the panel to save from solar; and I haven't.
I investigated it and didn't see an economic advantage for my situation.
Because your goals and mine differ. Got kids and grandkids you worry about their future on the planet?
No, I don't.
That's pretty low for the northeast.
My goal isn't to pay the lowest for items. That's perhaps where we differ.
While solar might make sense for an individual homeowner, doing green on a state level have costs an individual user doesn't have to deal with such as backup
I'm on the grid. I only need a 'back up' if the grid fails. And I have a backup for that. It was expensive and it will NEVER pay for itself.
If you've ever built a home Alan, the same could be said for paying for a roof, or a garage door. They don't pay for themselves ever. At least my panel will some day but better, I've saved a 74 tons of co2 from entering the atmosphere thus far. And I do plan to add more panels in the near future.
You and your kids are welcome for that.
Individual homeowners with solar only pay those costs when you're off your own solar and need grid power.
Untrue (again).
The poor schnook who lives in an apartment and can't use solar or can't afford to switch to solar gets screwed and pays for the homeowner who due to solar have little or no cost.
Look up 'Community Solar" before posting further incorrect assumptions.
It's a great deal for you.
Another untrue assumption.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #10863 on: June 03, 2021, 01:41:41 pm »

You're sure. And you're again wrong. Not if saving means the money I don't pay for electricity and the 10 cents per Kilowatt I get back pays for the panel. Not yet. Not for years.
I didn't invest in the panel to save from solar; and I haven't. Because your goals and mine differ. Got kids and grandkids you worry about their future on the planet?
No, I don't. My goal isn't to pay the lowest for items. That's perhaps where we differ. I'm on the grid. I only need a 'back up' if the grid fails. And I have a backup for that. It was expensive and it will NEVER pay for itself.
If you've ever built a home Alan, the same could be said for paying for a roof, or a garage door. They don't pay for themselves ever. At least my panel will some day but better, I've saved a 74 tons of co2 from entering the atmosphere thus far. And I do plan to add more panels in the near future.
You and your kids are welcome for that. Untrue (again).Look up 'Community Solar" before posting further incorrect assumptions. Another untrue assumption.
I never heard of Community Solar.  That's interesting.  I don't know if it would work here where I live in a 55+ community. People who would spend thousands on an emergency generator to save hundreds from spoiled food in a non-powered refrigerator have other objectives.

I assume you need a lot of land to install the solar which would be  a problem.  Maybe a wind generator with a smaller footprint would be better.  What's it costing per KWH for your service?  We pay $.124/KWH.  People here aren't going to do anything unless they can save money or at least get a payback over time.  Arguing they're saving CO2 won't sell them. 

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #10864 on: June 03, 2021, 01:54:07 pm »

I never heard of Community Solar.
I'm not surprised.
I don't know if it would work here where I live in a 55+ community.
I agree, you don't. Perhaps do some research?
People who would spend thousands on an emergency generator to save hundreds from spoiled food in a non-powered refrigerator have other objectives.
Speaking for others again. I spent thousands of dollars on a generator so I can pump water from my well as well as saving 'hundreds' from spoiled food if the grid goes down; what's your point? "People" (your generalization) can't spend spent thousands of dollars on a generator and solar? Some can. I'm one.
I assume you need a lot of land to install the solar which would be  a problem.
Yes you have again assumed then posted. Perhaps do some research?
Got a roof?
Want to see how little space my solar tracker takes up, ask. It will provide you actual data so you will no longer have to assume about this.
Maybe a wind generator with a smaller footprint would be better.
Maybe pigs can fly and that would be better. Stop guessing, do some research.
What's it costing per KWH for your service?
I've already stated this earlier; go back and actually read what has been stated.
People here aren't going to do anything unless they can save money or at least get a payback over time.
So you've asked all the people 'there' or you're speaking for yourself and assuming about all the others?
Arguing they're saving CO2 won't sell them.
So you've asked all the people 'there' or you're speaking for yourself and assuming about all the others?
I think by now, your readers know the answer to those questions so there is no reason to make something up.
You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own made up facts.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #10865 on: June 03, 2021, 02:21:34 pm »

I'm not surprised. I agree, you don't. Perhaps do some research? Speaking for others again. I spent thousands of dollars on a generator so I can pump water from my well as well as saving 'hundreds' from spoiled food if the grid goes down; what's your point? "People" (your generalization) can't spend spent thousands of dollars on a generator and solar? Some can. I'm one. Yes you have again assumed then posted. Perhaps do some research?
Got a roof?
Want to see how little space my solar tracker takes up, ask. It will provide you actual data so you will no longer have to assume about this. Maybe pigs can fly and that would be better. Stop guessing, do some research.I've already stated this earlier; go back and actually read what has been stated.So you've asked all the people 'there' or you're speaking for yourself and assuming about all the others? So you've asked all the people 'there' or you're speaking for yourself and assuming about all the others?
I think by now, your readers know the answer to those questions so there is no reason to make something up.
You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own made up facts.

You're just be argumentative for arguments sake.  No one looks up everything on the web before they converse with others to say what they believe nor do they canvas 1200 neighbors to see what they think. We're not submitting a research paper. This is a photo forum.  Why don't you lighten up instead of looking for conflict? 

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #10866 on: June 03, 2021, 02:43:06 pm »

You're just be argumentative for arguments sake. 
I can see how pointing out your own questions, based on your lack of experience with solar appears to you to be argumentative. Sad but true.
No one looks up everything on the web before they converse with others to say what they believe ...
Speaking for everyone again, so tiring and so short sighted. You mean to say, you don't look up anything on the web before conversing with others. About a topic you have no experience with (home solar generation let alone community solar generation) yet I do.
We're not submitting a research paper.
We? Some here are submitting variable facts. Someone is just assuming and posting. Again. 
This is a photo forum.
And nothing in this forum is about photography. The forum where you asked about backing up your computer or when you falsely said "all prints are300dpi" was correctly and factually addressed and corrected.
Why don't you lighten up instead of looking for conflict?
There is no reason to lighten up when someone makes false assumptive statements devoid of facts.
This may be a photo forum but it isn't a forum for fiction.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 02:47:27 pm by digitaldog »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #10867 on: June 03, 2021, 02:47:47 pm »

I can see how pointing out your own questions, based on your lack of experience with solar appears to you to be argumentative. Sad but true. Speaking for everyone again, so tiring and so short sighted. You mean to say, you don't look up anything on the web before conversing with others. About a topic you have no experience with (home solar generation let alone community solar generation) yet I do.We? Some here are submitting variable facts. Someone is just assuming and posting. Again.  And nothing in this forum is about photography. The forum where you asked about backing up your computer or when you falsely said "all prints are300dpi" was correctly and factually addressed and corrected. There is no reason to lighten up when someone makes false assumptive statements devoid of facts.
This may be a photo forum but it isn't a forum for fiction.
Whatever.

TechTalk

« Reply #10868 on: June 03, 2021, 06:13:31 pm »

The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) has visual graphs of power generation displayed by the percentage of each specific energy type being used in different regions on a daily basis. It shows the large variation in the types of energy used for electric power generation in different parts of the country. The regions shown are the regional or state entities that have been delegated oversight of electric reliability within their area.

ELECTRIC GRID MONITOR

U.S. Daily Generation Mix (U.S. Lower 48)

https://www.eia.gov/electricity/gridmonitor/dashboard/daily_generation_mix/US48

Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #10869 on: June 03, 2021, 07:36:17 pm »

You're just be[ing] argumentative for argument[']s sake.

This is hilarious.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #10870 on: June 03, 2021, 08:22:00 pm »

You're just be[ing] argumentative for argument[']s sake.
This is hilarious.

Yogi Berra would be proud of that sentence. :D
Considering the topic:
"Texas has a lot of electrical votes."

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #10871 on: June 03, 2021, 08:29:33 pm »

Yogi Berra would be proud of that sentence. :D
Considering the topic:
"Texas has a lot of electrical votes."
If people don't want to understand my posts, no one is going to stop them.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #10872 on: June 03, 2021, 08:46:25 pm »

If people don't want to understand my posts, no one is going to stop them.
Chris was just correcting your post. Then chuckling about it.  ;D ;D
If you find it hard to laugh at yourself, I would be happy to do it for you.”
Groucho Marx

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #10873 on: June 04, 2021, 01:07:38 pm »

The good news is that the number of daily US deaths due to Covid have dropped down the low levels of early last summer. Judging by the 7-day moving average graph on Worldometer, it seems to be between 400-500 per day. That's still 150,000 per year, give or take, but the numbers are headed in the right direction. I'm seeing reports of people who don't want to be vaccinated though, I wonder what effect that is having.

Second doses seem to be proceeding well here in Canada. Ontario is still under stay-at-home order for another week or so because of earlier risk-taking, but people don't seem to be observing it too much, judging by how many cars I see on the streets.
--
Robert

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #10874 on: June 04, 2021, 01:16:01 pm »

I'm seeing reports of people who don't want to be vaccinated though, I wonder what effect that is having.
AFAIK, they can and many will get sick, many will die.
The vaccinated seem to be doing very well. So for those who don't get vaccinated by their own accord, too bad. But they can (and will) infect those who may want to be vaccinated and can't for a number of reasons. At least in the US, the focus is on those who are on the fence or those who may have difficulty getting vaccinated. After that, those anti-vac's can get sick and die; fine with me.

marvpelkey

« Reply #10875 on: June 04, 2021, 07:28:36 pm »

Although I have agreed all the way along that those Anti-vaxxers (vaccers?), Anti-maskers can suffer in their own stew, as long as the rest of us get vaccinated, I am now not so sure the virus will ever go away and may continue to evolve enough to eventually affect the rest, using those Antis as their breeding ground. Rather sad really.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #10876 on: June 04, 2021, 07:48:30 pm »

I am now not so sure the virus will ever go away and may continue to evolve enough to eventually affect the rest, using those Antis as their breeding ground.

That appears to be a real risk.  An even greater risk, as Andrew Rodney pointed out, is that people who want to be vaccinated, but who for one reason or another have not yet been or cannot be, will be infected by people who intentionally decline to be vaccinated.  The anti-vaxxers are not only risking their own lives, but the lives of those with whom they may come into contact.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #10877 on: June 04, 2021, 08:55:31 pm »

Like other Coronavirus, unlikely the virus will ever fully go away.

“Eradicating this virus right now from the world is a lot like trying to plan the construction of a stepping-stone pathway to the Moon. It’s unrealistic,” says Michael Osterholm, an epidemiologist at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis.
And
Jesse Bloom, an evolutionary biologist at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle, thinks the coronavirus might follow a similar path. “I do think SARS-CoV-2 will become a less serious problem and something like flu,” he says. Shaman and others say the virus could also settle into a seasonal pattern of annual winter outbreaks similar to flu.
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00396-2

What should go away, and if all goes well is Anti-vaxxers.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #10878 on: June 04, 2021, 09:28:14 pm »

No vaccination, no international travel.  Simple as that.

In the past, that was the rule.  Time to return to sanity.

chez

« Reply #10879 on: June 05, 2021, 12:07:14 pm »

No vaccination, no international travel.  Simple as that.

In the past, that was the rule.  Time to return to sanity.

Yes, very much like travelling from Yellow Fever countries requires a vaccine.
Pages: 1 ... 542 543 [544] 545 546 ... 808   Go Up