Pages: 1 ... 430 431 [432] 433 434 ... 808   Go Down

Author Topic: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa  (Read 466341 times)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #8620 on: March 05, 2021, 06:57:13 pm »

Undeniably.  He lost the presidential election.

:)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #8621 on: March 05, 2021, 07:01:41 pm »

Y entonces México hubiera construido su propio muro.  (Por supuesto, lo hubiéramos pagado.)
Muy cierto!  ;)
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #8622 on: March 06, 2021, 12:00:54 pm »

This will fly over Joe's head but....
“¡Pobre Nuevo México! Tan lejos del cielo; tan cerca de Texas ". ― Manuel Armijo ;)

degrub

« Reply #8623 on: March 06, 2021, 12:15:17 pm »

There are two suburbs of Tejas - New Mexico and Colorado  ;)
We go there for good food, evening cool, and skiing. 8)

John Camp

« Reply #8624 on: March 06, 2021, 02:25:11 pm »

“¡Pobre Nuevo México! Tan lejos del cielo; tan cerca de Texas ". ― Manuel Armijo ;)

I never heard that before. Porfirio Diaz is widely quoted as saying, "Poor Mexico -- so far from God, so close to the United States." I wonder if he was misquoting Armijo? Their lives overlapped somewhat, so I guess it could have gone either way. Or, maybe it was a common idiom of the time?

jeremyrh

« Reply #8625 on: March 06, 2021, 02:34:42 pm »

Aaand Alan ranting on about "printing money" in 3..2..1..

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #8626 on: March 06, 2021, 02:49:25 pm »

I never heard that before. Porfirio Diaz is widely quoted as saying, "Poor Mexico -- so far from God, so close to the United States." I wonder if he was misquoting Armijo? Their lives overlapped somewhat, so I guess it could have gone either way. Or, maybe it was a common idiom of the time?
If he did not, despite the below, he should have. 🤔

John Camp

« Reply #8627 on: March 06, 2021, 02:53:33 pm »

No, I just it was a more amusing reason than NM being the state with the highest crime rate, 47th safest state, low number of cops, one of the worse public school systems, a large wealth gap, a fairly large amount of deaths from DWI per capita. 

Top 10 reasons NOT to move to New Mexico. It has some of the worst towns in America.

That's all very true, and I certainly wish it would discourage more people from coming here. The price of housing in Santa Fe has gotten ridiculous with all the goddamn refugees from NY, PA, CA, Wa and OR. We met a couple from San Francisco who bought a million dollar-plus house for the absurd reason that they want to be here during opera season. (Absurd to me, anyway, though I admit that I first became attracted to the place during a visit to the Santa Fe Photo Workshops a couple of decades ago, which introduced me to the Canyon Road galleries.)

New Mexico is a kinda rough place, a frontier place, and has a number of built-in problems involving our strong mix of cultures in which none really dominates. New Mexico is more than half Hispanic (if you count the undocumented Hispanics) and 40% who are "white," whatever that means, and 11% Native American, whatever that means (the Pueblo Indians and the Navaho are not as closely related as Greeks and Swedes.) In other places, like the East Coast, you have a dominant culture and newcomers must adjust; here, you can adjust in either of two main directions, Hispanic or "Anglo." (Note that "Anglo" refers to English speakers, not any particular ethnicity.) Unlike most places, you can get along perfectly well here speaking nothing but Spanish, and a lot of people do, which we consider a feature, not a bug. We do have an ambiguous relationship with Texas -- we've twice had to run off armed invasions by Texans, which we did without too much trouble, but still, you know? Should we really have had to do that? One of our big problems is that they continue to sneak across the border to sight-see, ski, shop, play golf, spread covid, etc. so they are a continuing nuisance.

Anyway, we do like it here, and wish more people would continue to stay away. 8-)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 02:57:00 pm by John Camp »

JoeKitchen

« Reply #8628 on: March 06, 2021, 03:21:31 pm »

one of the "worse" is probably not a phrase that would be suggested if you're you're going to be criticizing any schools.

https://prowritingaid.com/grammar/-Worse-vs--worst---What-is-the-difference-

Here are some other Southwestern desserts you might enjoy.

https://www.visitalbuquerque.org/restaurants/recipes/desserts/

I mean really ... Are YOU a 'grammar Nazi'? You're probably a jerk: Language pedants are more likely to be introverted and disagreeable

But anyway, I'll stick to Phoenix.  Before you go on, yes, I also know I am disagreeable, but it's not all bad. 

Why it doesn't pay to be Mr Nice Guy: 'Agreeable' people get LESS money at work and are more likely to go bankrupt because they don't value material goods as much as their pushy peers

Rodney must be racking it in!   ;)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 03:33:10 pm by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

JoeKitchen

« Reply #8629 on: March 06, 2021, 03:23:04 pm »

Really, it was thru a deliberate land grab to steal half of Mexico's territory by means of a fabricated war (Mexican-American War) which was opposed by Lincoln as a congressman and Grant who served in it as a young officer.

"For myself, I was bitterly opposed to the measure, and to this day, regard the war, which resulted, as one of the most unjust ever waged by a stronger against a weaker nation. It was an instance of a republic following the bad example of European monarchies, in not considering justice in their desire to acquire additional territory."

Ulysses S. Grant, Personal Memoirs of General U. S. Grant (1885), p. 16

"The Southern rebellion [Civil War] was largely the outgrowth of the Mexican war. Nations, like individuals, are punished for their transgressions. We got our punishment in the most sanguinary and expensive war of modern times."

Ulysses S. Grant, Personal Memoirs of General U. S. Grant (1885), Chapter 3

"With a soldier the flag is paramount. I know the struggle with my conscience during the Mexican War. I have never altogether forgiven myself for going into that. I had very strong opinions on the subject. I do not think there was ever a more wicked war than that waged by the United States on Mexico. I thought so at the time, when I was a youngster, only I had not moral courage enough to resign. I had taken an oath to serve eight years, unless sooner discharged, and I considered my supreme duty was to my flag. I had a horror of the Mexican War, and I have always believed that it was on our part most unjust. The wickedness was not in the way our soldiers conducted it, but in the conduct of our government in declaring war. The troops behaved well in Mexico, and the government acted handsomely about the peace. We had no claim on Mexico. Texas had no claim beyond the Nueces River, and yet we pushed on to the Rio Grande and crossed it. I am always ashamed of my country when I think of that invasion."

As quoted in Around the world with General Grant (1879), by John Russell Young, p. 448

Given your distaste for New Mexico and the liberalism in California, maybe the United States should give it all back to Mexico.

Now that we have mined all of the gold out of CA, why not? 
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 03:26:31 pm by JoeKitchen »

JoeKitchen

« Reply #8630 on: March 06, 2021, 03:26:16 pm »

That's all very true, and I certainly wish it would discourage more people from coming here. The price of housing in Santa Fe has gotten ridiculous with all the goddamn refugees from NY, PA, CA, Wa and OR. We met a couple from San Francisco who bought a million dollar-plus house for the absurd reason that they want to be here during opera season. (Absurd to me, anyway, though I admit that I first became attracted to the place during a visit to the Santa Fe Photo Workshops a couple of decades ago, which introduced me to the Canyon Road galleries.)

New Mexico is a kinda rough place, a frontier place, and has a number of built-in problems involving our strong mix of cultures in which none really dominates. New Mexico is more than half Hispanic (if you count the undocumented Hispanics) and 40% who are "white," whatever that means, and 11% Native American, whatever that means (the Pueblo Indians and the Navaho are not as closely related as Greeks and Swedes.) In other places, like the East Coast, you have a dominant culture and newcomers must adjust; here, you can adjust in either of two main directions, Hispanic or "Anglo." (Note that "Anglo" refers to English speakers, not any particular ethnicity.) Unlike most places, you can get along perfectly well here speaking nothing but Spanish, and a lot of people do, which we consider a feature, not a bug. We do have an ambiguous relationship with Texas -- we've twice had to run off armed invasions by Texans, which we did without too much trouble, but still, you know? Should we really have had to do that? One of our big problems is that they continue to sneak across the border to sight-see, ski, shop, play golf, spread covid, etc. so they are a continuing nuisance.

Anyway, we do like it here, and wish more people would continue to stay away. 8-)

Why are you upset that your house price is going up?  Mine has risen 65% in the last year.  I'm not looking at that as a bad thing, now that I own one.  Not so great if your a first time buyer. 

JoeKitchen

« Reply #8631 on: March 06, 2021, 03:29:44 pm »

Look on the bright side Andrew, at least you dont live in ...

North Dakota: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #8632 on: March 06, 2021, 03:33:41 pm »

I mean really ... Are YOU a 'grammar Nazi'? You're probably a jerk: Language pedants are more likely to be introverted and disagreeable

But anyway, I'll stick to Phoenix.
It takes one to know one, and thanks for the warning (I'll avoid Phoenix like the plague/pandemic). 
Look on the bright side Andrew, at least you dont live in ...
And I don't (and do not) live in PA too.

faberryman

« Reply #8633 on: March 06, 2021, 03:34:38 pm »

But anyway, I'll stick to Phoenix.

Phoenix had 52 days over 110 degrees last year, the hottest on record. It must be like a pandemic every summer where nobody leaves the house, not that there is any place to go.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/phoenix-weather/2020/09/05/phoenix-august-summer-2020-hottest-history/5729955002/

JoeKitchen

« Reply #8634 on: March 06, 2021, 03:39:41 pm »

Phoenix had 52 days over 110 degrees last year, the hottest on record. It must be like a pandemic every summer where nobody leaves the house, not that there is any place to go.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/phoenix-weather/2020/09/05/phoenix-august-summer-2020-hottest-history/5729955002/

All I did was type in "dry heat," and nothing but memes on AZ came up. 
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 04:23:13 pm by JoeKitchen »

Peter McLennan

« Reply #8635 on: March 06, 2021, 03:49:02 pm »

I had the edifying experience of visiting Phoenix in July.  @114F, you can't go outside.  Simple as that.  Gawd help them if they ever run out of electricity in summer.

Like John, I have had the extreme good fortune of visiting most of New Mexico (and Canyon Road) on dozens of occasions over the years. Every single time, I was enchanted.

Chatting with a New Mexican bartender once, I made the unfortunate mistake of complaining about the execrable state of US 64 between Navajo City and Dulce.  I received an extensive lesson in southwestern politics and the economy of NM.  Sad, really.  Both the situation there and my ignorance of it.

I did, however, as John hoped, leave.  However reluctantly.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #8636 on: March 06, 2021, 04:34:43 pm »

All I did was type in "dry heat," and nothing but memes on AZ came up.
Some need assistance in typing and using "The Google Machine"....

James Clark

« Reply #8637 on: March 06, 2021, 05:44:53 pm »

I had the edifying experience of visiting Phoenix in July.  @114F, you can't go outside.  Simple as that.  Gawd help them if they ever run out of electricity in summer.

Like John, I have had the extreme good fortune of visiting most of New Mexico (and Canyon Road) on dozens of occasions over the years. Every single time, I was enchanted.

Chatting with a New Mexican bartender once, I made the unfortunate mistake of complaining about the execrable state of US 64 between Navajo City and Dulce.  I received an extensive lesson in southwestern politics and the economy of NM.  Sad, really.  Both the situation there and my ignorance of it.

I did, however, as John hoped, leave.  However reluctantly.

I've been going to Santa Fe regularly since college.  Then, it seemed totally reasonable to drive out to NM on a Friday, (from San Antonio - about 10-12 hrs), ski the next day, hit a restaurant that night, then drive back to San Antonio on day 3. 

More recently, we had a home there that needed some work, and a home here in Austin that needed some work.  Sadly, it made more sense to sacrifice the NM home to complete the ATX home, though if I'd had my way, we'd have gotten the hell out of Texas and stayed in Santa Fe.  My wife feels differently ;).  Not to worry though, once this place is done in a year or two I'm coming back.

Also, for you Santa Fe locals (or any visitors), check out my buddy's awesome sculpture work down in Madrid. 

tl;dr - Texas sucks, Santa Fe is awesome, but my wife disagrees.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #8638 on: March 06, 2021, 06:45:30 pm »

Madrid is indeed a pretty cool little spot with some nice galleries.
On the way, stop by Cerrillos and get a pretty good burger here (but not as good as Santa Fe Bite aka The Bobcat Bite):
http://www.blackbirdsaloon.com
http://www.blackbirdsaloon.com/cerrillos-life

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #8639 on: March 06, 2021, 07:02:38 pm »

The price of housing in Santa Fe has gotten ridiculous with all the goddamn refugees from NY, PA, CA, Wa and OR.

Sigh, sadly true.  Quite a few years ago, when retirement was still a bit of a fantasy for us, my wife and I — relatively frequent visitors to Santa Fe from the east coast — thought we might want to buy a part-time retirement home there.  One day, we visited a number of open houses.  We actually found one within reasonable walking distance of the Palace of the Governors (sic!) that, at least by Washington, D.C., standards, was a steal.  Needed a little fixing up, but nothing we couldn't afford.

Some years later, on a subsequent visit when we actually were preparing to retire, we devoted another day to house-hunting.  We were appalled by how much the sellers were asking and apparently — according to real estate agents we spoke to — expecting to get.  I did a back-of-the-envelope calculation, and decided it would be less expensive to spend a couple of months per year at an extended-stay hotel for what it would cost us in debt service to own a house in Santa Fe.

But it's still one of our favorite cities.  And, unlike some others (Vancouver, can you hear me?) the invasion by rich extranjeros hasn't ruined it.
Pages: 1 ... 430 431 [432] 433 434 ... 808   Go Up