Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 808   Go Down

Author Topic: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa  (Read 466500 times)

Manoli

Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #620 on: November 10, 2020, 07:22:35 am »

Brief profile and story behind the Turkish-German scientists, founders of Biontech, and the vaccine.

Until last year Biontech, founded in 2008 and based in Mainz, was best known for building personalised cancer “vaccines” out of messenger RNA (mRNA), which carries genetic instructions for cells. Essentially, the vaccines prompt the body to mobilise against cancer the way it would against a virus.

Fortunately for mankind, this strategy would also be theoretically quite handy against the coronavirus.

In January Dr Sahin read an article in The Lancet about an outbreak of a novel infectious disease in Wuhan. He instantly spotted the danger. “Experts experienced with previous outbreaks said this will come and go,” he told the Financial Times months later. “I said, ‘No, this time it is different.’ ”

Within days of the pandemic’s arrival in Germany, Dr Tureci, Dr Sahin and their colleagues began adapting their technology to Covid-19. Biontech was placed on a “war footing” for what was known internally as the “speed of light” project because of the intense time pressure it was under.

Pfizer, an American pharmaceutical company, soon piled in with funding and the company’s share price tripled over the course of the summer. This increased the couple’s fortune to roughly €2.4 billion (£2.16 billion) by September, according to the Welt am Sonntag newspaper, which ranked the couple at 85th on its national rich list. Their young company is now worth more than €20 billion, making it more valuable than Porsche and Deutsche Bank.

Biontech’s mRNA-based approach is technically ambitious compared with the methods of other groups including the Oxford team, who have taken the more tried-and-tested path of adapting a virus that already exists in nature.

The manufacturing process, in which the mRNA is bundled into a microscopic blob of fat, is well suited to mass production and the company has said that it aims to have 100 million doses waiting to go by the end of the year. But the colossal scales involved are uncharted territory for the technique.

If the experiment pays off, it will not just be good news in the battle against coronavirus, as well as a vindication and a fabulously lucrative payday — on paper at least — for the scientists. It will also be proof of a concept for a promising new way of warding off a whole menagerie of diseases from HIV to melanoma through the body’s own fortifications.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #621 on: November 10, 2020, 07:37:39 am »

Can't stand to be corrected, eh? Not surprising.

It's more that you are behaving like my 8 years old daughter. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

faberryman

« Reply #622 on: November 10, 2020, 07:48:17 am »

It's more that you are behaving like my 8 years old daughter. ;)

What, challenging your authority?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #623 on: November 10, 2020, 07:55:18 am »

We shall see. Although you seemed to strongly disagree with my statements 2 pages before that many Trump voters would soon realize that Biden isn't this bad and would therefore not oppose him strongly, it would appear you changed your mind?

I agree with you... and disagree also in part. :)

I agree that many of them aren't deeply into Trumpism, but at the same time I feel that Trumpism has infected the whole society, regardless of voting intentions. I believe that many people who voted for Biden are infected, I believe that the whole world is infected.

What they are infected by is all the implicit fondations of Trumpism... including relativsm of the worse kind (everything is the same as long as it fits my agenda), the weakening of truth, weakening of the belief that the scientific method is the best we have to establish knowledge, weakening of the respect for woman, of the respect for institutions,...

Cheers,
Bernard

I disagree with your derision of almost half the American people.  Over 70 million people voted for Trump at  47 1/2% which is a larger percent than 4 years ago at 46%  While many maybe most didn't like his antics, they still felt he accomplished a lot of good things for America and was the better candidate.  I wish Biden a lot of success.  If he can get the country back on track and keep the peace as Trump did over the last four years,  America and the world will be better off.

faberryman

« Reply #624 on: November 10, 2020, 08:04:00 am »

Did Team Trump file any new lawsuits yesterday? Didn't see any. Read something about it taking them until the end of the week to get organized. So maybe Trump meant next Monday.

There was a hearing yesterday on a previously filed suit in Arizona. Apparently it involves 180 ballots. Trump is trailing by 15,000 votes. Baby steps, I guess. Next hearing is on Wednesday when they will actually have to offer up some evidence instead of just waving their hands in the air.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/opinion/op-ed/laurieroberts/2020/11/09/trumps-claim-fraud-arizona-amounts-most-180-votes/6229791002/

Meanwhile, Trump is quibbling with Pfizer over who should get credit for Pfizer's progress on developing a vaccine. No word yet on whether Trump will accept a certificate of participation or continue his demand for a trophy. Mike Pence seems to be angling for a trophy too.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 08:38:27 am by faberryman »

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #625 on: November 10, 2020, 08:35:36 am »

It seems China and Russia are not too happy with Biden, not to mention North korea.
I can imagine: instead of dealing with Trump only now they have to deal again with a group of experts headed by a president.
Less easy to manipulate.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

jeremyrh

« Reply #626 on: November 10, 2020, 08:39:22 am »

Did Team Trump file any new lawsuits yesterday?

Really, Frank - who gives a stuff about Trump any more?  He lost and will soon be gone, whether to Mar a Lago or Rikers Island. His refusal to do what is the right thing for the country and ensure a smooth transition is just a final illustration of the sort of man he is.

Fin.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #627 on: November 10, 2020, 08:51:05 am »

What, challenging your authority?

Another beautiful example. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #628 on: November 10, 2020, 08:58:54 am »

I disagree with your derision of almost half the American people.  Over 70 million people voted for Trump at  47 1/2% which is a larger percent than 4 years ago at 46%  While many maybe most didn't like his antics, they still felt he accomplished a lot of good things for America and was the better candidate.  I wish Biden a lot of success.  If he can get the country back on track and keep the peace as Trump did over the last four years,  America and the world will be better off.

How is what I am writing derision of half the American people (you need to agree with the other poster about the numbers btw ;))?

You understand that Trumpism has nothing to do with a majority of Trump voters right (whether they voted for Trump of against Biden btw)?

What is referred to as Trumpism has been discussed at length and is pretty much everything about Trump that even his supporters dislike. The constant lies, the sexism, the racism, the unethical sexual behaviours, the rejection of science, the decision making ignoring facts,...

Or are you aligned with him on these also?

Cheers,
Bernard

Manoli

« Reply #629 on: November 10, 2020, 09:05:35 am »

Meanwhile, Trump is quibbling with Pfizer over who should get credit for Pfizer's progress on developing a vaccine. No word yet on whether Trump will accept a certificate of participation or continue his demand for a trophy. Mike Pence seems to be angling for a trophy too.

I'm guessing there's more than a small dose of well needed levity in that post!

The $1.95 billion in the Pfizer agreement will only be paid out when the government takes delivery of the vaccines - after the FDA grants Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) or product approval. Whether the funds will be used to ramp up manufacturing of the vaccine is, at this juncture, a moot point.

The Pfizer/Biontech vaccine is expected to hit a major safety milestone—monitoring 50% of patients for two months after their second dose for side effects - in late November. If final efficacy data are similar to this early, non-peer-reviewed release, the vaccine could well be the first to be authorised by the FDA .
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 09:17:25 am by Manoli »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #630 on: November 10, 2020, 09:22:45 am »

... What is referred to as Trumpism has been discussed at length and is pretty much everything about Trump that even his supporters dislike. The constant lies, the sexism, the racism, the unethical sexual behaviours, the rejection of science, the decision making ignoring facts,...

faberryman

« Reply #631 on: November 10, 2020, 09:41:50 am »

I'm guessing there's more than a small dose of well needed levity in that post!

I'm doing my best. I was going to add that when I was coaching my son's T-ball team an eternity ago, I had planned to run off on the computer some certificates for the boys at the end of the season using a new Microsoft program whose name I have long forgotten.  Well, when I casually mentioned my plan to one of the moms, she was horrified, and immediately took up a collection from the other moms to buy their sons trophies. Did I mention this was T-ball. That is the memory which springs from the depths of my so-called mind when I read that Trump and Pence wanted credit for Pfizer's progress on a vaccine. Why do I think Trump got a trophy when he stopped pooping his pants? Did you notice I gave Trump the benefit of the the doubt there?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 10:20:26 am by faberryman »

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #632 on: November 10, 2020, 10:16:02 am »

Why do I think Trump got a trophy when he stopped pooping his pants?

Aw man, there's an image I didn't need.
--
Robert

faberryman

« Reply #633 on: November 10, 2020, 10:29:46 am »

Aw man, there's an image I didn't need.

Focus on the trophy, the trophy.

faberryman

« Reply #634 on: November 10, 2020, 10:33:02 am »

What is referred to as Trumpism has been discussed at length and is pretty much everything about Trump that even his supporters dislike. The constant lies, the sexism, the racism, the unethical sexual behaviours, the rejection of science, the decision making ignoring facts,...

From whence did you derive your definition of Trumpism?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 10:38:04 am by faberryman »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #635 on: November 10, 2020, 11:31:21 am »

Did Team Trump file any new lawsuits yesterday? Didn't see any. Read something about it taking them until the end of the week to get organized. So maybe Trump meant next Monday.

There was a hearing yesterday on a previously filed suit in Arizona. Apparently it involves 180 ballots. Trump is trailing by 15,000 votes. Baby steps, I guess. Next hearing is on Wednesday when they will actually have to offer up some evidence instead of just waving their hands in the air.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/opinion/op-ed/laurieroberts/2020/11/09/trumps-claim-fraud-arizona-amounts-most-180-votes/6229791002/

When the vaccine works, hopefully, Biden and the Democrats will take credit for it and the distribution that Trump set up.  They'll claim they cured the world.  After all, it happened on their watch.

faberryman

« Reply #636 on: November 10, 2020, 11:35:35 am »

When the vaccine works, hopefully, Biden and the Democrats will take credit for it and the distribution that Trump set up.  They'll claim they cured the world.  After all, it happened on their watch.

Turn about is fair play. And I believe Biden's team is concerned about the vaccine being distributed under Trump's plan, and his task force is working on version 2.0.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #637 on: November 10, 2020, 11:38:50 am »

I think Biden is a better and more honest human being than Trump. So he will not do that.

Meanwhile, the transition process is the most difficult in 90 years, thanks to Trump not wanting to follow the normal procedure. Not surprising, given his cult of personality of himself.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #638 on: November 10, 2020, 11:42:58 am »

Bernard forgot the following: incompetent, ignorant, narcisistic, and caboutin (presumed, pretentious, arrogant).

chez

« Reply #639 on: November 10, 2020, 11:48:49 am »

Let's get this straight, it is the scientists at Pfiser and many other research facilities that should have the credit...not any politician, especially one that has put down research experts time and again. 

Maybe Trump should instead take responsibility for the weak response to Covid resulting in hundreds of thousands dead.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 808   Go Up