Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 808   Go Down

Author Topic: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa  (Read 466616 times)

faberryman

Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #200 on: November 06, 2020, 12:25:06 pm »

of A mask should never be political.

Yeah, but it is, so you just have to accept that fact and factor it into the equation.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 12:28:39 pm by faberryman »

Frans Waterlander

« Reply #201 on: November 06, 2020, 12:28:12 pm »

Evidence:
All humans are are stupid, but the smarter ones at least have a handle on their own innorance” John Cleese
Never noticed John Cleese stuttering!

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #202 on: November 06, 2020, 12:28:37 pm »

You know that story has been discredited, well the SAT one. 

The guy's widow says it couldn't have happened because he always did the right thing.
Giving her the benefit of the doubt, I guess Trump must have hired someone else.
-MattB

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #203 on: November 06, 2020, 12:30:32 pm »

I am sure you can understand cause and consequence.

I sure can.  You said he WAS inciting violence.  Now you say he MAY BE inciting violence.  I'm sure you can understand the difference.
Craig Lamson Photo

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #204 on: November 06, 2020, 12:34:59 pm »

In the United States, speech that creates a "clear and present danger" of illegal action may create criminal or civil liability.

Where elected officials or other public figures (e.g., political candidates) are involved, I think the news media should be extremely cautious about deciding not to report what they say—even in situations where their speech may not be constitutionally protected.

I do have a lot of sympathy for that point of view. Always good to shine a light on things. If a politician wants to make a fool of himself in public, why should anyone stop him. But Trump has come pretty close to crossing some line a few times. I am thinking of when he vilified Mexicans. Was that really so far from vilifying Jews, for instance? Would people have been as ok with that, I wonder.

It's easy to construct a scenario where a situation could lead to real trouble. If it weren't for the various medical authorities who called into question Trump's views on handling Covid, if they were muzzled for instance, or instantly fired for not toeing the party line, and many more people get sick and died, is that a "clear and present" danger?  I have no idea. I have no trouble with such officials speaking their minds, a country is not a Corporation whose President is the CEO, he does get or does he deserve the last work. Politicians are just some folks we hire to do a job, after all, nothing sacred about them. Who says he can't be contradicted in the open by his own staff? Luckily, that has happened, more or less. So there was a case where he spoke gibberish often but saner voices were also heard. In the long run, better to have heard what he had to say, no matter how ignorant. It's just  a bit bad for the country if people choose to believe the gibberish. But I guess people are free to act against their own best interests.
--
Robert

chez

« Reply #205 on: November 06, 2020, 12:35:51 pm »

I sure can.  You said he WAS inciting violence.  Now you say he MAY BE inciting violence.  I'm sure you can understand the difference.

Just talking about these semantics in WAS inciting or MAY BE inciting in the context of the president says it all.

Craig Lamson

« Reply #206 on: November 06, 2020, 12:36:16 pm »

As long as you keep implying Canadians and Europeans are just sheep that follow their leaders without doing their own thinking. Again I ask you, how much do you know about Canadians...how much time have you spent here in Canada talking with Canadians. Seems to me you are talking from ignorance.

We can see the differences between Canada and the US in respect to Covid requirements.  Call it whatever you want, I really dont care what "name" you give it.  Far more Americans are willing to say screw it when it comes to the govenment telling them how to live with Covid restrictions.  Thats just a fact.  If you think thats because Canadians are sheep, thats your call.
Craig Lamson Photo

Craig Lamson

« Reply #207 on: November 06, 2020, 12:37:12 pm »

Just talking about these semantics in WAS inciting or MAY BE inciting in the context of the president says it all.

So tell us Chez, what exactly does it say?  It was in the context of what Paulo said, not the President.
Craig Lamson Photo

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #208 on: November 06, 2020, 12:39:57 pm »

Evidence:
All humans are are stupid, but the smarter ones at least have a handle on their own innorance” John Cleese

Reminds me of a favorite quote:

“The fundamental cause of the trouble in the modern world today is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.”—Bertrand Russell
-MattB

chez

« Reply #209 on: November 06, 2020, 12:40:18 pm »

We can see the differences between Canada and the US in respect to Covid requirements.  Call it whatever you want, I really dont care what "name" you give it.  Far more Americans are willing to say screw it when it comes to the govenment telling them how to live with Covid restrictions.  Thats just a fact.  If you think thats because Canadians are sheep, thats your call.

But what you don't get, parts of the government are telling the Americans to screw it. Other parts are telling them to wear masks. That's the point...zero consistent leadership and the American sheeple follow what their party leaders tell them...we've seen this over and over.

chez

« Reply #210 on: November 06, 2020, 12:42:35 pm »

So tell us Chez, what exactly does it say?  It was in the context of what Paulo said, not the President.

But Paulo was referring to the president when he said it. Like I already said, it says a lot when we are discussing if the president did incite violence or maybe incited violence.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #211 on: November 06, 2020, 12:42:49 pm »

Never noticed John Cleese stuttering!
Nor has anyone noticed his camera sensor over heat.  ;)
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #212 on: November 06, 2020, 12:52:39 pm »

Far more Americans are willing to say screw it when it comes to the govenment telling them how to live with Covid restrictions. 
No, they are dying instead. Understandable you still can't connect those dots.
As a great republican once said:
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln
At this point in the thread, there's no doubt.

As a very poor republican who can't tell the truth about Covid-19 said:

When: Friday, February 7, and Wednesday, February 19
The claim: The coronavirus would weaken “when we get into April, in the warmer weather—that has a very negative effect on that, and that type of a virus.”
When: Thursday, February 27
The claim: The outbreak would be temporary: “It’s going to disappear. One day, it’s like a miracle—it will disappear.”
When: Multiple times
The claim: "If the economic shutdown continues, deaths by suicide “definitely would be in far greater numbers than the numbers that we’re talking about” for COVID-19 deaths.
The claim: “Coronavirus numbers are looking MUCH better, going down almost everywhere,” and cases are “coming way down.”
When: Wednesday, June 17
The claim: The pandemic is “fading away. It’s going to fade away.”
When: Thursday, July 2
The claim: The pandemic is “getting under control.”
When: Saturday, July 4
The claim: “99%” of COVID-19 cases are “totally harmless.”
When: Monday, July 6
The claim: “We now have the lowest Fatality (Mortality) Rate in the World.”
The claim: Children are “virtually immune” to COVID-19.
When: Thursday, August 27
The claim: The U.S. has “among the lowest case-fatality rates of any major country anywhere in the world.
The claim: America is “rounding the corner” and “rounding the final turn” of the pandemic.".

How do you know when Trump is lies about the Pandemic? His mouth moves.

faberryman

« Reply #213 on: November 06, 2020, 01:04:57 pm »

IWhere elected officials or other public figures (e.g., political candidates) are involved, I think the news media should be extremely cautious about deciding not to report what they say—even in situations where their speech may not be constitutionally protected.

I am of a mixed mind about that. The networks never break in on their regular channels unless it is of the magnitude of 9/11. So covering him when he speaks has already been relegated to cable. Obviously soap operas are more important than what the president has to say. So it is a really short putt to not covering him on cable either. Really, two hour press conferences on the coronavirus. Anybody religiously watch those? If he says something important, just run the clip on the six o'clock news. We rarely need to know what he is saying while he is saying it. He's already tweeting non-stop, so if you are hanging on his every word, just follow his Twitter feed.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 01:13:43 pm by faberryman »

Peter McLennan

« Reply #214 on: November 06, 2020, 01:06:36 pm »

I'm an American, your opinion is wrong.

I didn’t voice an opinion.  I stated a fact.

Craig Lamson

« Reply #215 on: November 06, 2020, 01:10:29 pm »

But what you don't get, parts of the government are telling the Americans to screw it. Other parts are telling them to wear masks. That's the point...zero consistent leadership and the American sheeple follow what their party leaders tell them...we've seen this over and over.

Leadership has nothing to do with it.  Its personal preference.  If what you said was true, I am a Republican, then why am I in favor of wearing masks?  Why are young adults who are overwhelmingly Democrat not wearing mask and not social distancing.

Craig Lamson Photo

Craig Lamson

« Reply #216 on: November 06, 2020, 01:11:55 pm »

No you voiced an opinion. 
Craig Lamson Photo

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #217 on: November 06, 2020, 01:12:21 pm »

You're dealing with a fact denier. That is a fact. The arguments are silly, like having the freedom not to wear a mask. No American has the freedom to infect others with a contagious deadly disease just like they don't have the freedom to scream "Fire" in a crowed theater nor do they have the freedom to speed though red lights or shoot anyone they want on 5th Avenue. Because Trump really does believe he can shoot someone there, the sycophants believe it apples to him and others. In such a mindset, facts have long ago disappeared. 

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #218 on: November 06, 2020, 01:14:45 pm »

Leadership has nothing to do with it.  Its personal preference.  I
My preference is to shot you on 5th avenue or not stop at any red lights there or elsewhere.
Really, you don't seem to understand leadership or the laws (mandates) and cause and effect.
Your leader decided not to obey local laws and hold massive rallies allowing his clan to infect each other with Covid-19 and perhaps the flu. While mocking masks and science. That's not leadership, just the opposite.
I don’t know if you are purposely trying not to understand this, or if you are really struggling with it. Seems the later.

Craig Lamson

« Reply #219 on: November 06, 2020, 01:25:24 pm »

You're dealing with a fact denier. That is a fact. The arguments are silly, like having the freedom not to wear a mask. No American has the freedom to infect others with a contagious deadly disease just like they don't have the freedom to scream "Fire" in a crowed theater nor do they have the freedom to speed though red lights or shoot anyone they want on 5th Avenue. Because Trump really does believe he can shoot someone there, the sycophants believe it apples to him and others. In such a mindset, facts have long ago disappeared.

Actually they DO have those freedoms.  They CAN shout fire in a crowded theater, they can speed through an intersection, they can choose to not wear a mask and infect others or shoot someone on 5th Ave.  And then they can also face the consequences.

We have laws that regulate these actions but it does not STOP people for doing them. It only punishes those who are found guilty.

Craig Lamson Photo
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 808   Go Up