Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 808   Go Down

Author Topic: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa  (Read 466288 times)

faberryman

Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2020, 05:56:14 pm »

I think Bernard might be right.

I don't know if you read The Online Photographer, Mike Johnston's blog which is one of the most intelligent photography blogs on the net, but on Sunday, he wrote a piece about the upcoming election and dealt with what he saw as the major problems with Donald Trump. Mike doesn't deal with politics on his blog, and this was a stark exception, and he didn't allow comments on the piece, but the thing he wrote was really educational. And, it suggests why Bernard may be right -- that people who suffer from narcissistic personality disorder, like Trump, often attract large numbers of people who need a narcissist to tell them what to do and what to think. In other words, they suffer from a related disorder, and that's what gives power to authoritarian leaders down through the ages: they need a messiah.

Yeah, I read his blog, less so now than before, because it is not really a photography blog any longer.  He writes about his diet, his addiction, his eye surgery, his trees falling down, his interest in audio equipment, his passion for playing pool, etc., so it is a real mixed bag. He seems like a nice enough guy, and I am sure I would have a good time spending an afternoon sitting on his front porch and talking with him, but I can't say I would seek out his advice on anything I can think of, not even about photography.  His post about narcissistic personality disorder mostly mirrors what I have read, but no new insights jumped out at me, not that I am an expert, so I don't know what it brings to the conversation. But for people who might not have read about it before, it could be a helpful introductory primer. Nothing wrong with that.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 07:03:36 am by faberryman »

TechTalk

« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2020, 06:06:01 pm »

What? Trump is following the script that everyone expected, I dare say even his supporters. There is no shock or surprise.

No surprise. But it is still shocking to see and hear a President of the United States working so hard to undermine democracy.

Let the officials tally up the uncounted votes and see how everything shakes out.

Hopefully that will happen without interference. It's shocking that citizens have to hope for that.

This is not the end of democracy as we know it.

You're probably right. I hope so. But, we may soon see Trump, his toadies in Congress, Barr, and his hardcore cult members stomping all over—if not crossing— the line between democracy and authoritarianism.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 06:19:31 pm by TechTalk »
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

TechTalk

« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2020, 06:18:27 pm »

Latest Trump tweets...

"We have claimed, for Electoral Vote purposes, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (which won’t allow legal observers) the State of Georgia, and the State of North Carolina, each one of which has a BIG Trump lead. Additionally, we hereby claim the State of Michigan if, in fact, there was a large number of secretly dumped ballots as has been widely reported!"

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/We have claimed, for Electoral Vote purposes

And so it begins...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 06:22:02 pm by TechTalk »

faberryman

« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2020, 06:21:30 pm »

Latest Trump tweets...

"We have claimed, for Electoral Vote purposes, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (which won’t allow legal observers) the State of Georgia, and the State of North Carolina, each one of which has a BIG Trump lead. Additionally, we hereby claim the State of Michigan if, in fact, there was a large number of secretly dumped ballots as has been widely reported!"

And so it begins...

Nothing unexpected there. The commie/lib media have called Biden the winner in Michigan. I don't know if Fox News has too. The other three states may be counting for a couple of days. Everyone would do well to take a deep breath and relax. Maybe turn off the TV and read your camera manual or something.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 06:58:46 pm by faberryman »

faberryman

« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2020, 06:53:22 pm »

Trump has dispatched Rudy Giuliani to Philadelphia. Sounds like the kiss of death to me. Biden can win without Pennsylvania.

Giuliani ‘en route’ to Philadelphia with Trump legal team as ballot battle ramps up

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/giuliani-en-route-to-philadelphia-with-trump-legal-team-as-ballot-battle-ramps-up

TechTalk

« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2020, 07:00:54 pm »

I hope Giuliani is the lead attorney for that legal team. He's proven himself to be a big league bungler.

faberryman

« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2020, 07:38:10 pm »

I hope Giuliani is the lead attorney for that legal team. He's proven himself to be a big league bungler.

I am sure Team Trump has an election law expert out of one in the big firms in Philadelphia, who, aided by his colleagues in the litigation group, will be leading the effort. Pennsylvania is as good a place as any to send Giuliani to get him out of the way. It is a short drive from New York. I am dead certain Giuliani is not the one who will be arguing the case before the judge.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 07:51:21 pm by faberryman »

TechTalk

« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2020, 07:40:22 pm »

The Associated Press is the gold standard for calling races with a very conservative approach to their methodology. PBS and NPR use AP results for calling races.

For online updates on election results, I like NPR's website. They have a "Margins" display that visually shows movement for each State as vote tallies are updated. Really nicely done.

https://apps.npr.org/elections20-interactive/#/president

For political nerds, Cook Political Reports website shows interesting additional data for each State showing the margin shifts and raw vote shifts as compared to 2016.

https://cookpolitical.com/2020-national-popular-vote-tracker

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2020, 07:42:19 pm »

The commie/lib media

CNN is a commie media?

Cheers,
Bernard

faberryman

« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2020, 08:04:54 pm »

CNN is a commie media?

Some people around here think so. I am not among them. I use the term jokingly to humor them.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 08:26:19 pm by faberryman »

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2020, 08:16:08 pm »

Perhaps a wise move. But I must point out that climate change IS NOT POLITICS. It's science, and science does no care what you believe.

Right! And when it gets too hot, we all notice.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2020, 10:14:55 pm »

But I must point out that climate change IS NOT POLITICS. It's science, and science does no care what you believe.

Just so, but the very next sentence in any discussion is what to do next and that's political so I see Jeremy's point. We've had threads on the topic before, they degenerate quickly so best leave them dead. Or people could just go re-read them!  :)

--
Robert

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2020, 04:00:05 am »

Those states don't count. The only states that count now are Arizona, Michigan, Wisconsin, Nevada and the single-electoral district in Nebraska. Biden leads in all of those.

They counted at the time according to the news I read in Portugal:) This morning looks like the tide is turning and indeed the states you mention may be decisive. Biden has 264 delegates (winning Michigan and Wisconsin, after Arizona) and Trump 214. Nevada has 6 delegates and Biden is ahead by a narrow margin there.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2020, 04:05:42 am »

I think Bernard might be right.

I don't know if you read The Online Photographer, Mike Johnston's blog which is one of the most intelligent photography blogs on the net, but on Sunday, he wrote a piece about the upcoming election and dealt with what he saw as the major problems with Donald Trump. Mike doesn't deal with politics on his blog, and this was a stark exception, and he didn't allow comments on the piece, but the thing he wrote was really educational. And, it suggests why Bernard may be right -- that people who suffer from narcissistic personality disorder, like Trump, often attract large numbers of people who need a narcissist to tell them what to do and what to think. In other words, they suffer from a related disorder, and that's what gives power to authoritarian leaders down through the ages: they need a messiah.

https://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2020/11/sunday-support-group-vote.html

I read that one too, quite interesting. Maybe that was what Trump ment when he talked about "herd mentality" instead of "herd immunity"...

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2020, 07:40:21 am »

They counted at the time according to the news I read in Portugal:) This morning looks like the tide is turning and indeed the states you mention may be decisive. Biden has 264 delegates (winning Michigan and Wisconsin, after Arizona) and Trump 214. Nevada has 6 delegates and Biden is ahead by a narrow margin there.

Arizona is not final just yet and Biden holds a decent lead, they are still counting.  Its really Trumps last firewall unless he somehow wins Nevada but thats a long shot, but possible.  Trump takes either and its all Pennsylvania.
Craig Lamson Photo

faberryman

« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2020, 09:32:27 am »

I did something I rarely do. I went over to take a look at Trump's Twitter feed because he his been MIA since his 2:00 am meltdown the other night. I don't know how to copy a tweet and post it here, so I'll just quote it:

"STOP THE COUNT!"

Is this a cry of pain? Is he like a child who skins his knee and asks his mommy to please make it stop hurting? He must be delusional. Nobody is going to stop counting the ballots. This is not some third world dictatorship. Nobody is going to stop counting until the last vote has been tallied. Then if Trump wants to challenge them or a force a recount or whatever, have at it. Maybe he will ultimately prevail. Fine. But stop the count? No way.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 09:38:54 am by faberryman »

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2020, 09:47:53 am »

I did something I rarely do. I went over to take a look at Trump's Twitter feed because he his been MIA since his 2:00 am meltdown the other night. I don't know how to copy a tweet and post it here, so I'll just quote it:

"STOP THE COUNT!"

Is this a cry of pain? Is he like a child who skins his knee and asks his mommy to please make it stop hurting? He must be delusional. Nobody is going to stop counting the ballots. This is not some third world dictatorship. Nobody is going to stop counting until the last vote has been tallied. Then if Trump wants to challenge them or a force a recount or whatever, have at it. Maybe he will ultimately prevail. Fine. But stop the count? No way.

Well, as you've pointed out many times he doesn't seem to have a filter. Be interesting to see how many voters agree with that sentiment though, although you'd think that counting all the votes would pretty much be sacred. I hope so anyway.

--
Robert

Craig Lamson

« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2020, 09:48:32 am »

"STOP THE COUNT!"

There are some reported instances where poll watchers from the Rep side were being denied access and I suspect that is what he was talking about. Im not sure, or trying to prevent votes being counted in a time frame in excess of the time allowed by state election law as in Pennsylvania. 

I want him to explore every legal avenue to fight for his votes. Then when those options or a path to victory are exhausted, to concede. Time will tell if that will happen.
Craig Lamson Photo

faberryman

« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2020, 10:46:39 am »

There are some reported instances where poll watchers from the Rep side were being denied access and I suspect that is what he was talking about. Im not sure, or trying to prevent votes being counted in a time frame in excess of the time allowed by state election law as in Pennsylvania. 

I want him to explore every legal avenue to fight for his votes. Then when those options or a path to victory are exhausted, to concede. Time will tell if that will happen.

I think it was one poll watcher who was initially denied entrance but was later admitted. It occurred in Philadelphia, and is why they dispatched Giuliani, for better or worse, up there. I think the issue was whether a poll watcher could go to any vote counting place or had to go the the place he was officially assigned, and the delay in admitting him was caused by getting clarification on what the rule was. At least that is what I read yesterday. Maybe something happened later, or the reporter got the story wrong, or I am misinformed. Of course one incident is one incident too many. I have no problem with Trump exploring every legal avenue available to him.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 10:54:14 am by faberryman »

Craig Lamson

« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2020, 11:08:46 am »

I think it was one poll watcher who was initially denied entrance but was later admitted. It occurred in Philadelphia, and is why they dispatched Giuliani, for better or worse, up there. I think the issue was whether a poll watcher could go to any vote counting place or had to go the the place he was officially assigned, and the delay in admitting him was caused by getting clarification on what the rule was. At least that is what I read yesterday. Maybe something happened later, or the reporter got the story wrong, or I am misinformed. Of course one incident is one incident too many. I have no problem with Trump exploring every legal avenue available to him.

There was a big issue on Detroit as well, lots of stories about it some conflicting.  I do like the story of the white van, a Crhysler 300 and a Ferarri all arriving at Cobo Hall ( I know its the old term, but I'm old) at 4 am and unloading boxes of ballots.  I have see video of a guy unloading the white van but no idea what he was was unloading, could have been sacks of McDonalds for all I know.

Just like the state by state pandemic response, we have the same issues at play in elections.
Craig Lamson Photo
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 808   Go Up