Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 808   Go Down

Author Topic: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa  (Read 466246 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« on: November 04, 2020, 04:11:12 am »

It's 4th November. From now, this thread is the only place at The Luminous Landscape in which political discussion (including discussion of climate change) is permitted: see here for more information.

Those who enter this thread do so at their own risk. I may read it myself, or I may look merely at complaints submitted to the moderators by outraged members who have strayed into it, accidentally or otherwise. I have closed down political discussion here because it was occupying too much of my time; if this thread intrudes similarly, it will not survive.

Jeremy

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 05:10:19 am »

Nice choice of title  ;)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 07:19:35 am »

Slobodan, that's a nice shot of the fearless bare-back rider. They both look well fed and muscular.
Would you have also a shot of Trump on a bull? Well, actually considering his "victory speech", they should strap him to Elon Musk's rocket and send him towards some black hole.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 08:46:42 am »

Les, would this make you happy?

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2020, 09:19:32 am »

Yes, that will do.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2020, 09:28:43 am »

Jeremy, is that going to include climate politics too? The climate thread pretends to deal with climate, but the whole climate argument is driven by politics.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

faberryman

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2020, 10:31:13 am »

Jeremy, is that going to include climate politics too? The climate thread pretends to deal with climate, but the whole climate argument is driven by politics.

From now, this thread is the only place at The Luminous Landscape in which political discussion (including discussion of climate change) is permitted...

That is how I interpret Jeremy's post. Nobody ever discussed the science because nobody was qualified to do so. They just told you what they read on the internet which confirmed what they wanted to believe. Then, for example, Alan would chime in and tell me my conclusions about the polar bears' march to extinction were bogus because I didn't count the bears' declining population on my fingers and toes, but had used an algorithm or projection or something. Meanwhile, anybody with any sense was in the darkroom, and so escaped the inanity of the discussion.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 12:28:40 pm by faberryman »

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2020, 10:43:35 am »

Bears are nice and in risk of extinction due to climate change. They do not deserve to be ill-treated by featuring in the title of the thread.

faberryman

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2020, 10:50:32 am »

So I went to bed pretty early last night because at the top of each hour the anchor guy would come on and say, in an authoritative voice, that in the states whose polls had just closed, the race was too early to call. I figured that was going to go on for a while, and the final results were going to take a few days, and, well, I was reading this pretty interesting book, and thought that reading would be more enjoyable than watching nothing happen on TV. So I woke up this morning, reached over and picked up my iPad, and read that Trump had declared it was all over and he, frankly, had won. I have included a link to his victory speech. So I extend my hearty congratulations to all Trump supporters. He was not my first choice, but I'll hope for the best. Then I remembered that sometimes Trump exaggerates, and makes aspirational statements, so I'll guess I'll just have to watch the news tonight to see if there are any new developments. Who knows, Trump may be right. If he has won, there sure are going to be a lot of disappointed lawyers out there who won't be buying themselves a new Mercedes for Christmas.

Trump calls to halt vote counting, prematurely declares victory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imaYlHjhzEY

Try to ignore all the CNN commentary, particularly from Don Lemon, if that is Don Lemon, because I don't watch CNN and may be mistaken, but just listen to Trump's victory speech a minute or so in. Or just hit mute or until Trump starts talking.

All right, I admit it, I turned on the TV. They were showing a close up of this guy with coke bottle glasses and bloodshot eyes looking at a hanging chad, and I got the willies and turned it off. That was more than enough until this evening.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 11:54:08 am by faberryman »

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2020, 11:21:11 am »

I can't remember if Trump actually said that they were getting ready to win this election and that they did win this election or maybe I was just having a bad dream.
Anyway, when I woke up, it looked more like Biden won the election. Oh yeah, Trump also said that his goal was to ensure the integrity for the good of nation. That might start to be happening very soon now.

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2020, 11:26:17 am »

I can't remember if Trump actually said that they were getting ready to win this election and that they did win this election or maybe I was just having a bad dream.
Anyway, when I woke up, it looked more like Biden won the election. Oh yeah, Trump also said that his goal was to ensure the integrity for the good of nation. That might start to be happening very soon now.

Well we don't really know who won the election just yet, but watching a 180k or so vote drop in the middle of the night is a bit strange. And whats with NV stopping all vote counting for 24 hours?  People in Vegas need to be at home and in bed by 10:30 pm or what? 
Craig Lamson Photo

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2020, 11:40:25 am »

Well we don't really know who won the election just yet, but watching a 180k or so vote drop in the middle of the night is a bit strange.
Nothing strange about the vote changing as more ballots, in this case, absentee/mail in from a majority of one side, being counted and added.
This wouldn't be as large an 'issue' IF all states had the same rules in terms of when (and how) to count ballots from mail-in and absentee. Do examine the facts this year in terms of how many more votes came in this way instead of just yesterday.
Oh, and don't forget the military where in some states, their mail in votes can be received up to 10 days after November 3rd. Unless you really feel all those patriots are losers and suckers, their votes too, deserve to be counted.
We all need to take a deep breath and let all the votes be counted, just as done in the past. Nothing new here. 
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

John Camp

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2020, 11:54:56 am »

I'm doing the chicken dance -- it's not a pretty sight -- and hoping I'm not premature.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2020, 12:01:20 pm »

Nothing strange about the vote changing as more ballots, in this case, absentee/mail in from a majority of one side, being counted and added.... 

I do not vouch for the veracity of this Facebook post, and I am fully aware it might be a fake news, doctored, etc., but it shows an interesting point, if true: all the new ballots, 100% of them, went to Biden.

Again, this particular one might be fake, but it shows actually how to check results, i.e., by comparing tallying at various point in time:

https://www.facebook.com/soyouwantthetruthabout/photos/a.102244818268331/144911760668303/?type=3

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2020, 12:16:58 pm »

So I went to bed pretty early last night because at the top of each hour the anchor guy would come on and say, in an authoritative voice, that in the states whose polls had just closed, the race was too early to call. I figured that was going to go on for a while, and the final results were going to take a few days, and, well, I was reading this pretty interesting book, and thought that reading would be more enjoyable than watching nothing happen on TV. So I woke up this morning, reached over and picked up my iPad, and read that Trump had declared it was all over and he, frankly, had won. I have included a link to his victory speech. So I extend my hearty congratulations to all Trump supporters. He was not my first choice, but I'll hope for the best. Then I remembered that sometimes Trump exaggerates, and makes aspirational statements, so I'll guess I'll just have to watch the news tonight to see if there are any new developments. Who knows, Trump may be right. If he has won, there sure are going to be a lot of disappointed lawyers out there who won't be buying themselves a new Mercedes for Christmas.

Trump calls to halt vote counting, prematurely declares victory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imaYlHjhzEY

Try to ignore all the CNN commentary, particularly from Don Lemon, if that is Don Lemon, because I don't watch CNN and may be mistaken, but just listen to Trump's victory speech a minute or so in. Or just hit mute or until Trump starts talking.

All right, I admit it, I turned on the TV. They were showing a close up of this guy with coke bottle glasses and bloodshot eyes looking at a hanging chad, and I got the willies and turned it off. That was more than enough until this evening.

One positive note of the election being held yesterday, my email inbox is looking much better today.  No more fevered requests for a check or credit card number...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 12:43:58 pm by Craig Lamson »
Craig Lamson Photo

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2020, 12:32:18 pm »

I'm doing the chicken dance -- it's not a pretty sight -- and hoping I'm not premature.

I think it is premature. Trump is ahead in the States that are not decided yet and that hold a lot of the remaining electoral votes, like Georgia, Pensilvania, and North Carolina.

faberryman

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2020, 12:37:36 pm »

One positive note of the election being held yesterday, my email inbox is looking much better today.  No more fevered requests for a check or credit card numner...

I made a donation a couple of months ago, and was getting email six or eight times a day, so I checked the box asking them to stop sending me emails, and they stopped for a while, but then they started up again in earnest two or three weeks ago. That's one reason that I never tried my hand at politics; I hate begging people for stuff, and hate worse being beholden. One year I drew the short straw and had to run the United Way campaign at the office, and I was on the board of directors for the opera for quite a while, and so I had to submit to the humiliation of begging people for money. I remember one year I bought my daughter's entire allotment of Girl Scout cookies and gave them away at the office so she wouldn't have to go through the ordeal. I think this attitude arose in my youth when my school decided it wanted to buy a swing set or something, and thought it would be a good idea to have all of the students go around their neighborhood and sell Ice Grip, which came in a plastic bottle and looked suspiciously like sand, and you put it behind your tires to get better traction on snow and ice. The thing was it hadn't snowed in six or eight years. I couldn't look at myself in the mirror for weeks it was so traumatic.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 02:47:11 pm by faberryman »

faberryman

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2020, 12:54:32 pm »

I do not vouch for the veracity of this Facebook post, and I am fully aware it might be a fake news, doctored, etc., but it shows an interesting point, if true: all the new ballots, 100% of them, went to Biden.

Again, this particular one might be fake, but it shows actually how to check results, i.e., by comparing tallying at various point in time:

https://www.facebook.com/soyouwantthetruthabout/photos/a.102244818268331/144911760668303/?type=3

So I looked at those charts you posted, and wondered why if the Biden folks were going to cheat, why didn't they cheat enough to put him in first place?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2020, 01:05:50 pm »

So I looked at those charts you posted, and wondered why if the Biden folks were going to cheat, why didn't they cheat enough to put him in first place?

Step by step. He is now.

John Camp

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2020, 01:23:16 pm »

Step by step. He is now.

I also looked at the site  you posted, and would note that the first related website that they refer you to is run by "Red Pill Fairy."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 808   Go Up