Pages: 1 ... 732 733 [734] 735 736 ... 808   Go Down

Author Topic: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa  (Read 470444 times)

Peter McLennan

Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #14660 on: June 30, 2022, 06:07:47 pm »

We've got illegals looking to live here, drug smugglers, criminals, and even potential terrorists on watch lists, who are using it's sieve and lack of real enforcement to enter the country.  It's costing us millions of tax dollars as communities struggle to provide services for these people, many deaths from smuggled drugs, and jobs that should go to Americans on the lower-income scale.

You've been listening to Trump again, haven't you, Alan.  Silly you.  I'd think you would have realized that you're being conned by now.

But no.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #14661 on: June 30, 2022, 06:08:53 pm »

I particularly enjoy the fantasy that it's foreigners who bring drugs into the USA and corrupt the country. What a howler. Think demand-side.
You had him (stopped the progress of a conversation) at “think”.
The knee (one and sometimes both) jerks and the typing takes place without that important attribute.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #14662 on: June 30, 2022, 06:09:52 pm »

I particularly enjoy the fantasy that it's foreigners who bring drugs into the USA and corrupt the country. What a howler. Think demand-side.
You ought not to be so dismissive about this issue as Canada has a major issue as well.

How many opioid overdose Canada?
Since then, deaths have remained high. A total of 5,368 apparent opioid toxicity deaths occurred so far in 2021 (January – September). This is approximately 20 deaths per day. For a similar timeframe in the years prior to the pandemic, there were between 7 (in 2016) and 12 (in 2018) deaths per day.Mar 23, 2022
https://www.google.com/search?q=drug+overdose+canada&rlz=1C1RXQR_enUS1007US1007&sxsrf=ALiCzsbf2JLIESTj1d5-KKX4WS10DStwaw:1656626770891&source=lnt&tbs=qdr:y&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi_7tDRl9b4AhVjUjABHTyICzQQpwV6BAgBEBk&biw=1920&bih=1049&dpr=1

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #14663 on: June 30, 2022, 06:15:48 pm »

You've been listening to Trump again, haven't you, Alan.  Silly you.  I'd think you would have realized that you're being conned by now.

But no.
I don't care what Trump says.  But you ought to know that even democrats running for office know they're in trouble with the voters on this issue.  You might not have heard this listening to MSNBC or CNN. 

Democrats emphasize border security as midterms loom
https://rollcall.com/2022/03/22/democrats-emphasize-border-security-as-midterms-loom/

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #14664 on: June 30, 2022, 06:18:21 pm »

I don't care what Trump says.
Or anyone else but Alan Klein.
A wise man changes his mind sometimes, but a fool never. To change your mind is the best evidence you have one." - Desmond Ford

TechTalk

« Reply #14665 on: June 30, 2022, 06:30:26 pm »

You Fact is we don't control our borders.

Preposterous claptrap.  I live 6km from the border.  If I want to cross for any reason, it's "Passport please" and "Proof of Vaccination, sir". 

This from your closest neighbours and purported best friends, Canadians.

The border here is "open", by your standards.  There is no wall.  Just US Customs.

There are no borders anywhere in the world that are impregnable. Even with the most extreme measures, and even on a small scale, you can only increase the difficulty of breaching or escaping a border. People will become creative with methods to circumvent whatever measures are put in place and will find the path of least resistance. This is what people who are desperate to escape their current living conditions do — they somehow find a way around.

In the United States, the majority of unauthorized immigrants enter legally. They obtain an entry visa, enter legally, and then simply stay when the visa expires. But, that's not as scary as the narrative of shadowy figures, secretly sneaking around in the dead of night, up to who knows what kind of nefarious deeds.

In 2019 the number of foreign visa entries was 55,928,990. The number that didn't exit when they were supposed to... 676,422 "overstay events". That knowledge doesn't instill the kind of FEAR that the narrative of migrant waves of others [you know...those kind of others] who want to steal your job, rape your daughter, and get poor junior hooked on drugs can create.

None of this border crisis crap is about having an honest discussion regarding what a balanced and sensible immigration and border security policy should look like. It's about amplifying existing anxieties that people have regarding an economic future that is rapidly being transformed by technology and automation replacing a wide range of jobs. It's about converting that anxiety into unreasoning FEAR by pointing to others as villains for political purposes. The whole narrative is designed around one key concept which is... I know you're anxious and worried, these are the people that you need to fear, and only we can SAVE YOU FROM THEM.

We're here to Save America!! Hallelujah! Amen!

« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 08:50:12 pm by TechTalk »
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

TechTalk

« Reply #14666 on: June 30, 2022, 06:33:29 pm »

For 7th Consecutive Year, Visa Overstays Exceeded Illegal Border Crossings

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/16/for-seventh-consecutive-year-visa-overstays-exceeded-illegal-border-crossings

As the Trump administration demands funding for a border wall to stop illegal immigration, a new study finds that for the seventh consecutive year, visa overstays far exceeded unauthorized border crossings.

The report released Wednesday by the Center for Migration Studies of New York finds that from 2016-2017, people who overstayed their visas accounted for 62 percent of the newly undocumented, while 38 percent had crossed a border illegally.

"It is clear from our research that persons who overstay their visas add to the US undocumented population at a higher rate than border crossers. This is not a blip, but a trend which has become the norm," said Donald Kerwin, CMS' executive director, in a statement. "As these numbers indicate, construction of hundreds of more miles of border wall would not address the challenge of irregular migration into our country, far from it."
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #14667 on: June 30, 2022, 09:26:12 pm »

You ought not to be so dismissive about this issue as Canada has a major issue as well.

Since then, deaths have remained high. A total of 5,368 apparent opioid toxicity deaths occurred so far in 2021 (January – September). This is approximately 20 deaths per day. For a similar timeframe in the years prior to the pandemic, there were between 7 (in 2016) and 12 (in 2018) deaths per day.Mar 23, 2022
https://www.google.com/search?q=drug+overdose+canada&rlz=1C1RXQR_enUS1007US1007&sxsrf=ALiCzsbf2JLIESTj1d5-KKX4WS10DStwaw:1656626770891&source=lnt&tbs=qdr:y&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi_7tDRl9b4AhVjUjABHTyICzQQpwV6BAgBEBk&biw=1920&bih=1049&dpr=1

I didn't dismiss the problem, pay attention and don't change the subject. I'm saying that drug problems have little to do with foreigners. Do this thought experiment: imagine a drug-dealing foreigner in your mind's eye. Is the guy white?
--
Robert

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #14668 on: June 30, 2022, 10:09:59 pm »

I didn't dismiss the problem, pay attention and don't change the subject.
Good suggestion but that never works. He never will for the first and always will for the 2nd. History shows this to be so.
All this leads to is a fatter troll.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #14669 on: July 01, 2022, 12:54:37 am »

Alan, have you ever heard of the Sackler family?  Or Purdue Pharma? 

*hint* something to do with opioid toxicity deaths

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #14670 on: July 01, 2022, 07:17:41 am »

For anyone who might care, the so-called "freedom convoy" wants to return to Ottawa today, Canada Day. The news reports tell us that the police are ready this time and will act sooner. Frankly, any improvement over last time would be welcome. The Beaverton, as usual, has their own view, https://thebeaverton.com/2022/06/read-the-canada-day-freedom-convoys-new-list-of-demands/.

About a week or two ago, 20 MPs from the federal Conservative party met with the "leaders" of the convoy, so there's not much doubt about what this "protest" really is, imo. Other than police preparedness, so far as I can tell this is being met with a big yawn.

There was another related report a couple of days ago. There are hearings currently place regarding last January's protest and the judges have received threats. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/freedom-convoy-hearings-judge-threatened-1.6502747. You'd think that threatening a judge would not be a good look for a "freedom"-loving group.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 07:22:33 am by Robert Roaldi »
--
Robert

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #14671 on: July 01, 2022, 08:51:18 am »

Alan, have you ever heard of the Sackler family?  Or Purdue Pharma? 

*hint* something to do with opioid toxicity deaths

My point is that there are a lot of illegal drugs coming across our southern border including Fentanyl some say made in China.  Overdoses and deaths are in epidemic proportion here in the US and not so good either in Canada.  There would be more interdiction of drugs at the border if border patrol wasn't so busy with illegals.  We can't blame the Sacklers for that.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #14672 on: July 01, 2022, 09:23:17 am »

First ladies and the president don't have nor need to recuse* themselves as they judge such issues.
* https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/recuse
Real judges are not supposed to have conflict of interest in judgements.

Just wanted to apologize for my earlier dismissive comments re Ginny Thomas. Having looked over some old news stories, there's more to it than I thought. I guess I managed to miss all the details of her involvement in the continuing shit show so came to the conclusion that she was just another lightweight redneck with a media platform like Tucker et al. It's impossible to keep up with all the shenanigans.

The latest thing I saw last evening was that she was too "stressed" to give testimony. It's a tough life.
--
Robert

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #14673 on: July 01, 2022, 09:28:44 am »

My point is that there are a lot of illegal drugs coming across our southern border including Fentanyl some say made in China.  Overdoses and deaths are in epidemic proportion here in the US and not so good either in Canada.  There would be more interdiction of drugs at the border if border patrol wasn't so busy with illegals.  We can't blame the Sacklers for that.

So tell us. What do you think of all the players lobbying for pardons from Trump in case he assumes office again. Do innocent people look for pardons? If you haven't done anything wrong, why do you need a pardon?

No need to answer, these are obviously rhetorical questions. I haven't heard mention of any reforms of the presidential pardon process. Is it cynical to suggest that maybe they all want it this way? I guess there were some benefits to the feudal "divine right to rule" after all. You don't want too much blind justice I guess.
--
Robert

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #14674 on: July 01, 2022, 09:37:59 am »

You steadfastly refuse to understand my point, I'm almost impressed with your dogged determination to stay on message. It's almost as if you're running for office.

Drugs are not something that evil foreigners want to inflict onto innocent Americans. That's idiotic. Americans want to buy those drugs. My guess would be that the illegal drug trade prefer it if you waste your time blaming foreigners, that probably helps them thrive insofar as it diverts attention.

As I've stated before, given the number of people in US prisons, the number of police forces out there, the number of guns out there some of which are presumably in the hands of "good guys", aren't you just bowled over by the fact that in 2-3 generations now, you haven't made a dent in this fight.
--
Robert

Peter McLennan

« Reply #14675 on: July 01, 2022, 09:41:48 am »

So you ignore actual, demonstrable fact and replace it with random speculation.   All in order to prove your “point”.

And you wonder why we keep denigrating you…

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #14676 on: July 01, 2022, 10:05:22 am »

So tell us. What do you think of all the players lobbying for pardons from Trump in case he assumes office again. Do innocent people look for pardons? If you haven't done anything wrong, why do you need a pardon?

No need to answer, these are obviously rhetorical questions. I haven't heard mention of any reforms of the presidential pardon process. Is it cynical to suggest that maybe they all want it this way? I guess there were some benefits to the feudal "divine right to rule" after all. You don't want too much blind justice I guess.
What do any of these things have to do with illegal immigration?  It seems every time someone brings up Biden's and the Democrat policy failures, they change the subject to Trump.  I don't think that's going to work any more.  I guess Democrats have nothing left to argue with.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #14677 on: July 01, 2022, 10:08:42 am »

You steadfastly refuse to understand my point, I'm almost impressed with your dogged determination to stay on message. It's almost as if you're running for office.

Drugs are not something that evil foreigners want to inflict onto innocent Americans. That's idiotic. Americans want to buy those drugs. My guess would be that the illegal drug trade prefer it if you waste your time blaming foreigners, that probably helps them thrive insofar as it diverts attention.

As I've stated before, given the number of people in US prisons, the number of police forces out there, the number of guns out there some of which are presumably in the hands of "good guys", aren't you just bowled over by the fact that in 2-3 generations now, you haven't made a dent in this fight.
I am a little bored with retirement.  Do you think I should run?  ;)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #14678 on: July 01, 2022, 10:09:52 am »

Regarding these drugs, do you think we should legalize Fentanyl, cocaine, heroin, and opioids?  Didn't the Sacklers do enough damage?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #14679 on: July 01, 2022, 10:16:09 am »

So you ignore actual, demonstrable fact and replace it with random speculation.   All in order to prove your “point”.

And you wonder why we keep denigrating you…
Denigrating me personally, Peter,  is not polite especially among people with the same interest as we do in photography.  I'd prefer you debate or contradict my arguments. We all have our opinions and beliefs.  We do not need personal attacks.
Pages: 1 ... 732 733 [734] 735 736 ... 808   Go Up