Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Starlink satellite pollution  (Read 1591 times)

kers

• Pieter Kers
Starlink satellite pollution
« on: July 25, 2020, 03:05:38 pm »

Dutch article about the problems that arise with the enormous amounts of small satellites that are brought into orbit.
https://tweakers.net/geek/170164/fotograaf-klaagt-over-vele-starlink-satellietstrepen-op-foto-van-komeet-neowise.html
The photo shows an failed attempt to photograph comet Neowise from the Canary Islands.

In this case the Starlink satellites launched by Space-X are covering the sky.
There are plans to bring the amount of satellites up to 12.000 to even 42.000.
New satellites are getting a less reflective coating; I can imagine that is not enough to solve the problem.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: Starlink satellite pollution
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 03:25:54 pm »

Dutch article about the problems that arise with the enormous amounts of small satellites that are brought into orbit.
https://tweakers.net/geek/170164/fotograaf-klaagt-over-vele-starlink-satellietstrepen-op-foto-van-komeet-neowise.html
The photo shows an failed attempt to photograph comet Neowise from the Canary Islands.

In this case the Starlink satellites launched by Space-X are covering the sky.
There are plans to bring the amount of satellites up to 12.000 to even 42.000.
New satellites are getting a less reflective coating; I can imagine that is not enough to solve the problem.
I understand the frustration.  But these satellites provide internet access especially in rural areas and remote 3rd world countries that can't have it otherwise.  It will also provide competition and lower prices to traditionally wired internet service in urban areas. What solution or trade off would you recommend?

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 03:56:18 pm »

This is not only a problem for the amateur photographer; Think of all the scientist and their telescopes.
The basic problem is ; there are no rules; it is wild west. We wil see that in different areas; mars, the Moon, and closer; the Poles.
Space-X does not feel the need to discuss their plans before they launch. Space debris is another problem.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 03:58:50 pm »

What do you suggest be done? If Spacex doesn;t do it, someone else in another country will.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 04:05:39 pm »

There should be some UN convention about what to do.
At this point it is still like in the old days: ... I was there first...
; Law of the Jungle...
I know that is an illusion, but it would be a more civilized approach.
One thing that might help: the public opinion. Space-X does not want to be seen as an old fashion polluter.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 04:32:51 pm »

There should be some UN convention about what to do.
At this point it is still like in the old days: ... I was there first...
; Law of the Jungle...
I know that is an illusion, but it would be a more civilized approach.
One thing that might help: the public opinion. Space-X does not want to be seen as an old fashion polluter.
They seem to be trying to correct some of these issues.  Every new technology has problems.  When I was a kid, I nearly electrocuted myself trying to make ozone from O2 with electricity.  A Nicola Tesla I wasn't. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starlink#Criticism

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2020, 06:24:49 pm »

NASA has full-time staff tracking man-made objects in orbit. We have to keep track of these things because they cold knock out anything we send up.

It's always the same, we worry about our garbage after the fact. Apparently, it's too difficult to think about it beforehand, as if it comes as a complete surprise every time. You can just imagine the committee meeting at which it was decided to table this issue later.
--
Robert

John Camp

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2020, 07:47:06 pm »

I understand the frustration.  But these satellites provide internet access especially in rural areas and remote 3rd world countries that can't have it otherwise.  It will also provide competition and lower prices to traditionally wired internet service in urban areas. What solution or trade off would you recommend?

I'd suggest we not do it. The internet has not been an unmitigated boon to mankind. IMHO.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2020, 05:29:29 pm »

I'd suggest we not do it. The internet has not been an unmitigated boon to mankind. IMHO.
The internet also allows phone calls and messaging.  If you live in remote regions of Alaska or Africa, they could be a life-saving tool as could researching a medical procedure with Google to use in an emergency. Internet allows teaching and learning for those who can't attend schools.  Emergency weather reports, etc.  Aren't these more important than amateurs taking pictures of stars?  Certainly, it's worthy of discussion. 

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2020, 10:07:11 pm »

The internet also allows phone calls and messaging.  If you live in remote regions of Alaska or Africa, they could be a life-saving tool as could researching a medical procedure with Google to use in an emergency. Internet allows teaching and learning for those who can't attend schools.  Emergency weather reports, etc.  Aren't these more important than amateurs taking pictures of stars?  Certainly, it's worthy of discussion.

Is that what you think the problem is, that pollution is ruining amateur photographers' pictures? I'd be more worried about a bolt crashing through an astronaut's helmet myself.

A quick search on space debris turned up this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_debris.
--
Robert

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2020, 09:04:09 am »

Is that what you think the problem is, that pollution is ruining amateur photographers' pictures? I'd be more worried about a bolt crashing through an astronaut's helmet myself.

A quick search on space debris turned up this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_debris.
Pieter raised the problem about photography when he started the thread.  I responded to his concern.  Regarding your concern about Starlink satellites crashing into astronauts, they circle at different elevations then the space station.    It's not an issue.  Additionally, their locations are avoided during launches.   It's similar to jetlines flying at 35,000 feet while small private planes are flying at 2500 feet. Also, starlink satellites are not space junk that could be anywhere.  These satellites have a specific orbit and any changes are deliberately made and kept track of.  Just like an air traffic controller know where all the planes are, NASA would know as well for satellites.  By comparison, during normal traffic, there are 4000 aircraft flying just above the US. 

For fun, here's a link to a program where you can see planes anywhere in the world on a real-time basis..  Traffic is a lot lower due to the virus.  You can click on a plane and see it's number, where it came from and is going, elevation, speed, etc.  THe map show little planes and helicopters as well.  CLick BASIC for free test.https://www.flightradar24.com/premium/#featureInfo74

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2020, 09:38:13 am »

Pieter raised the problem about photography when he started the thread.  I responded to his concern.  Regarding your concern about Starlink satellites crashing into astronauts, they circle at different elevations then the space station.    It's not an issue.  Additionally, their locations are avoided during launches.   It's similar to jetlines flying at 35,000 feet while small private planes are flying at 2500 feet. Also, starlink satellites are not space junk that could be anywhere.  These satellites have a specific orbit and any changes are deliberately made and kept track of.  Just like an air traffic controller know where all the planes are, NASA would know as well for satellites.  By comparison, during normal traffic, there are 4000 aircraft flying just above the US. 

For fun, here's a link to a program where you can see planes anywhere in the world on a real-time basis..  Traffic is a lot lower due to the virus.  You can click on a plane and see it's number, where it came from and is going, elevation, speed, etc.  THe map show little planes and helicopters as well.  CLick BASIC for free test.https://www.flightradar24.com/premium/#featureInfo74

So anxious to get the messaging out that you didn't read the link again, did you.
--
Robert

degrub

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2020, 10:32:52 am »

as anyone who has hunted birds would know, there is a lot of empty space between them.
The problem is the duration of the image capture and the number of satellites as is plainly evident in the photo. And yes, that issue existed before, just not on the magnitude proposed.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2020, 11:59:11 am »

I made a dozen or so 20 second exposures of the comet the other night and several of them showed satellite trails. Something I've never seen before in my photography.
I also live in a rural area poorly serviced by Internet service providers and stand to benefit if and when Starlink becomes available to me.  Win some, lose some.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2020, 12:02:54 pm »

So anxious to get the messaging out that you didn't read the link again, did you.
You're the one not reading them.  I looked at it and saw it didn't apply.  The Wiki article that you linked to is called "Space Debris". These satellites are not space debris but active satellites with known and tracked orbits. 

Heres from your linked article.

"Space debris (also known as space junk, space pollution,[1] space waste, space trash, or space garbage) is a term for defunct human-made objects in space—principally in Earth orbit—which no longer serve a useful function. This can include nonfunctional spacecraft, abandoned launch vehicle stages, mission-related debris and fragmentation debris. Examples of space debris include derelict satellites and spent rocket stages as well as the fragments from their disintegration, erosion and collisions, such as paint flecks, solidified liquids from spacecraft breakups, and unburned particles from solid rocket motors. Space debris represents a risk to spacecraft.[2]"

faberryman

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2020, 12:23:09 pm »

You're the one not reading them.  I looked at it and saw it didn't apply.  The Wiki article that you linked to is called "Space Debris". These satellites are not space debris but active satellites with known and tracked orbits. 

Heres from your linked article.

"Space debris (also known as space junk, space pollution,[1] space waste, space trash, or space garbage) is a term for defunct human-made objects in space—principally in Earth orbit—which no longer serve a useful function. This can include nonfunctional spacecraft, abandoned launch vehicle stages, mission-related debris and fragmentation debris. Examples of space debris include derelict satellites and spent rocket stages as well as the fragments from their disintegration, erosion and collisions, such as paint flecks, solidified liquids from spacecraft breakups, and unburned particles from solid rocket motors. Space debris represents a risk to spacecraft.[2]"

Right. The satellites aren't "space debris" until the batteries run out. That changes everything. Did you know that six flashlights in the cupboard take up the same space whether they work or not. I learned that in a physics course in graduate school.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2020, 09:28:31 pm »

In defense of Elon, the Starlink satellites are equipped to de-orbit themselves at their end of life.  They carry fuel for just that purpose.

Still, it remains a contentious issue.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2020, 06:34:37 am »

This is just the start.
Airplanes traffic is locally different- this is world universal (pollution)
Geostationair satellites would be a solution- but need to be at about 36.000 km height.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2020, 03:07:51 pm »

This is just the start.
Airplanes traffic is locally different- this is world universal (pollution)
Geostationair satellites would be a solution- but need to be at about 36.000 km height.
Apparently radio frequencies for 5G won't work that far.  So they're stuck with lots of satellites closer to earth.  Hopefully they can come up with a resolution for the problems of blocking astronomy, "junk" in orbit, and other technical issues. 

It seems to give humanity a lot of advantages.  It's like drones or street photography.  There are dangers and annoyances.  But there are many benefits as well.  Hopefully we can find an acceptable compromise and eliminate the most egregious difficulties with the satellites. 

FabienP

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2020, 05:36:33 pm »

In defense of Elon, the Starlink satellites are equipped to de-orbit themselves at their end of life.  They carry fuel for just that purpose.

Still, it remains a contentious issue.

Sadly many geostationary satellites that had such provision failed their deorbiting and are now cluttering that coveted high altitude ring, mostly forever since there is no abrasion due to the atmosphere up there. The saving grace of Starlink is that they operate at LEO (low Earth orbit) of 500 km and would eventually deorbit (aka burn in the atmosphere) by themselves in a few years.

Let's do the math: 12'000 satellites with a lifespan of 5 years, assuming a conservative deorbiting failure of 2 percent, would lead to 240 new dead bricks at LEO every 5 years. Assuming a reentry time of 10 years, there would never be more than about 500 dead bricks in the sky.

But if Starlink is successful, there will surely be competitors. China will want that, too, and what about Europe? Still not fed up with the Galileo sats clock failures? So let's multiply this by 4, 2'000 dead bricks at any given time.

Shall we stop here, before this gets boring?  :)

As for photographers and scientists, a clever person will soon invent a pair of glasses with augmented diminished reality that will filter the sat streaks. Same for photos and video clips: Topaz Labs will release a new AI tool to (mostly) remove the ugly artefacts. Sure, it might make existing workflows more complicated, but at least everyone on Earth will be able to download cat videos in 8K.  ;D

At least the few percents that can afford it. Because that is the absurd thing in the end: the whole of humanity will have to deal with Starlink pollution even if only a minority will use the service.   :-[

Cheers,
Fabien
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up