Trump's plans are not going well, it seems,
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/27/trump-losing-2020-election-342326.
There are also reports this morning about Putin putting a bounty on US soldiers and that Trump knew about it. It will be interesting if this turns out to be as true as early reports seem to indicate. I don't have a link because I forget where I saw it, but it should be all over the interweb by now. It's sad how plausible it is though.
Trump's behaviour towards US allies and his seeming chumminess with Putin are odd, to say the least. That time he openly stated that he believed Putin over the US's own intelligence services was eye-popping. I guess that since it was just one more eye-popper in an endless stream of them, the outrage didn't last long. It says something about Trumpeteers that they were seemingly ok with the statement. The idea that they could stomach that big a lie is more in line with cult behaviour than politics.
The article by Ann Applebaum in The Atlantic made an interesting point about "lies", and she used the nonsense about the size of crowds at the inauguration as example. The Trumpian claims at the time was that the crowds were large, which was patently untrue and spectacularly so. But, she says, that's the point. That you can outlandishly make a false claim that is THAT obviously false and that there are no repercussions, THAT is the problem. Whether the crowds were there or not is almost a minor side issue, but the fact that he can state the lie with impunity is what's important. That kind of behaviour is reminiscent of Soviet era in which suddenly someone is erased from pictures. Everyone knows it's bullshit but people are complicit in the bullshit for various reasons, ranging from "I want to keep my job" to "I get a hard-on from belonging to this cult".
I don't think it's possible to overstate how toxic this is. Trump wants people who riot and deface statues to be prioritized by police, nothing wrong with that as it stands. Too bad he didn't come out against armed militiamen storming state legislatures. A true "law and order" candidate would have, if he truly believed in the rule of law. But the signals he gives are that some behaviours are ok if they come from the "correct" side. This is highly authoritarian behaviour, to split citizens into us and them. Leaders of democratic countries are supposed to represent everyone not pick sides internally. The USSR would be proud. Believers in the rule of law and constitution should be up in arms. Why aren't they?