Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 4x5 Film Holder Options for Epson V700  (Read 407 times)

ltbphoto

4x5 Film Holder Options for Epson V700
« on: May 24, 2020, 12:07:10 pm »

I recently picked up a V700 to replace my aging Expression 1680, I got a deal that did not include any film holders. I made the purchase assuming I'd just pick up a Betterscanning holder and be done with it, but unfortunately it seems that outfit is no longer operating. I'm trying to figure out what my best second choice is going to be. The V800/850 holders seem like a potential option as are the original V700/750. Could anyone offer guidance on what the best route would be here?

saiguy

Re: 4x5 Film Holder Options for Epson V700
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 09:25:40 am »

http://www.betterscanning.com/scanning/models/vseries.html

Sorry to hear if Betterscanning is no more. Their web site opened for me today.

You could use a piece of Museum Glass to hold your film flat. V700 probably does not have auto focus, just a fixed focus for their film holders. So another piece of glass for a sandwich that you shim up to the proper height.

Maybe someone here can tell you what that height is.

Daverich

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 10:47:36 am »

With my V750 Pro I place my 4x5ís directly on the glass like you would an 8x10. Use the settings as if you were using the Film Area Guide. Itís in the owners manual which is available online. With that setting you donít need any extra glass underneath. (I just checked and itís on page 38 of the 700 manual. You donít need the plastic frame it talks about.)

ltbphoto

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 09:19:34 am »

With my V750 Pro I place my 4x5ís directly on the glass like you would an 8x10. Use the settings as if you were using the Film Area Guide. Itís in the owners manual which is available online. With that setting you donít need any extra glass underneath. (I just checked and itís on page 38 of the 700 manual. You donít need the plastic frame it talks about.)

That's good information, are you putting anything on top of the film to keep it flat? I tried doing this with a piece of plexiglass on top of the film and got terrible Newton rings.

saiguy

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 11:17:57 am »

That is why you need Museum Glass. A good framing shop had stock and cut a piece for me. You should have the coated side up. It is hard to tell which side this is, so have the frame shop mark it in some way. If you use glass under the film it should be an anti newton ring type.

Daverich

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 09:19:21 am »

That's good information, are you putting anything on top of the film to keep it flat? I tried doing this with a piece of plexiglass on top of the film and got terrible Newton rings.

I use the glass that came with my Better Scanning setup on top of the film. It does need that or Museum glass or something on top of the film to hold it flat. I wouldnít think plexiglass was a good choice as itís not very clear.
Pages: [1]   Go Up