Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 4x5 Film Holder Options for Epson V700  (Read 3467 times)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: 4x5 Film Holder Options for Epson V700
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2020, 12:36:40 pm »

Nick Carver compres V750 scans with different holders.  You might find it interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfGKd_AEZtY

Garnick

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2020, 03:02:40 pm »

Nick Carver compres V750 scans with different holders.  You might find it interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfGKd_AEZtY

Thanks Alan.  I have one of his vids that I downloaded a while ago.  However I will check this one in case there's more info of use.  One more question though.  As mentioned, I do have a piece of museum glass which I bought for the purpose of scanning.  Of the two negs I've scanned on the scanner glass I've used the museum glass to flatten them.  I've carefully looked for Newton's Rings on both scans but so far have seen none.  That makes me believe that perhaps museum glass can also take care of Newton's Rings as well as its original use of deleting reflections when used as framing glass.  Is there any information about this or is it perhaps simply a one off situation combined with a bit of luck?  Just wondering, again.

Also - Am I correct in assuming that perhaps when scanning without a holder it would be better to use the Epson Fluid Mount Accessory in stead of placing the film directly on the scanner glass/platen.  In theory the height of the Fluid Mount glass should be correct, while perhaps the scanner glass may not be, since it's not designed to handle film as opposed reflective materials.  More testing coming probably.       
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 10:16:05 am by Garnick »
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2020, 03:25:51 pm »

Gary, I never used a fluid mount and I never used museum glass.  So I would be guessing.  Sorry. 

MichaelKoerner

• www.medien-atelier.at
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2020, 06:27:51 pm »

Am I correct in assuming that perhaps when scanning without a holder it would be better to use the Epson Fluid Mount Accessory in stead of placing the film directly on the scanner glass/platen.  In theory the height of the Fluid Mount glass should be correct, while perhaps the scanner glass may not be, since it's not designed to handle film as opposed reflective materials.  More testing coming probably.     

Recently I did some testing with a V750, comparing Epson Fluid Mount Accessory + KAMI vs. scanner glass + KAMI. I scanned 135 and 120 negs with VueScan.

My findings:
- Wet mounting helps reducing scratches etc, thus speeding up post production.
- Scans from the glass/platen were - in my case - not as sharp as those from EFMA (which I adjusted in height with small amounts of tape to achieve max. sharpness).
- VueScan offered me 4800 dpi when using the platen, 6000 dpi when using the film holder - but I did not see much difference between those two resolutions. Using 6000 dpi seemed to add more noise than data.
- Sharpening in post (be it Sharpen AI, Lightroom, PixelGenius...) was essential, regardless of whether I used glass or EFMA.
- And finally: Using a good camera/macro lens on a repro stand is considerably faster :-)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up