Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad remembered they made the H platform...  (Read 7444 times)

Joe Towner

Hasselblad remembered they made the H platform...
« on: May 08, 2020, 10:36:18 am »

But all we got was a new 920k dot screen. Same screen spec's as the 907x.  No idea if existing backs can be repaired/upgraded to it or if it requires a whole new back.

It's been almost 4 years since the H6D-100c was announced in August 2016, but nothing else on the H side of Hasselblad. Still haven't seen a CFV II 50c or 907x, as we are almost at the 1 year point since that announcement.  It's quite sad that this is what the company has become.
t: @PNWMF

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
Re: Hasselblad remembered they made the H platform...
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 12:55:38 pm »

But all we got was a new 920k dot screen. Same screen spec's as the 907x.  No idea if existing backs can be repaired/upgraded to it or if it requires a whole new back.

It's been almost 4 years since the H6D-100c was announced in August 2016, but nothing else on the H side of Hasselblad. Still haven't seen a CFV II 50c or 907x, as we are almost at the 1 year point since that announcement.  It's quite sad that this is what the company has become.

Well, there is this, a screen update (but maybe not the one you wanted) just announced today. Go to the Hasselblad facebook page, scroll down a bit. And it seems it is not available for existing H6D owners to upgrade to. Hey, don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger. As I get any additional details, I will add them.

I think the positive take away is that there are at least signs of activity, which there would not be if there were no plans for continuation of the H platform.

Steve Hendrix/CI

« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 01:17:36 pm by Steve Hendrix »
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Steve_777

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 02:04:37 pm »

It's been almost 4 years since the H6D-100c was announced in August 2016, but nothing else on the H side of Hasselblad.

Still haven't seen a CFV II 50c or 907x, as we are almost at the 1 year point since that announcement.  It's quite sad that this is what the company has become.
  These have been out in customer's hands since at least early March 2020.

George_Cleansman

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 02:22:47 pm »

I think that the H-System is still alive. In 2020 there comes a new H firmware with some new features. I think a replacement of the display for the older H cameras is too expensive (>2.000$) and also not so important. The image excellent quality of the H6D-100c is more important.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 04:04:59 pm »

Given the age of the previous screen it's very possible their hand was forced because they could no longer source the original screen from their sub-supplier. In fact, I'd bet good money that was the case.

Ultimately it doens't matter why an improvement is made I guess; if you're buying an H6D today vs yesterday the newer screen is an improvement.

(note my obvious and extreme bias, but it's hard to argue against the technical veracity of my statement)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 04:16:37 pm by Doug Peterson »

TechTalk

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 05:15:26 pm »

Given the age of the previous screen it's very possible their hand was forced because they could no longer source the original screen from their sub-supplier. In fact, I'd bet good money that was the case.

Ultimately it doens't matter why an improvement is made I guess; if you're buying an H6D today vs yesterday the newer screen is an improvement.

(note my obvious and extreme bias, but it's hard to argue against the technical veracity of my statement)

There is no change in the screen. It's been 920K on all H6D cameras from the start.

As far as the bet, you can send a check. How much in dollars is good money?

The upgrade is simply that the buttons below the user interface are now backlit for easier viewing in dark environments and the play button will now also power the camera on or off with a long press instead of having to use the button on the grip. Also, the Gorilla Glass screen cover glass is now 50% thicker for better protection.

That's it. Just a couple of user convenience features and a minor durability update. No big deal.

As to your technical veracity, that's in your hands and who needs to argue these days.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 05:21:55 pm by TechTalk »
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

TechTalk

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2020, 05:40:12 pm »

I think that the H-System is still alive. In 2020 there comes a new H firmware with some new features. I think a replacement of the display for the older H cameras is too expensive (>2.000$) and also not so important. The image excellent quality of the H6D-100c is more important.

There is no firmware update. The only changes are listed below as quoted from the Hasselblad Facebook page today.

Improvements on the new display:
-Upgraded user interface with backlit back buttons, enabling better visibility in dark environments
-50% thicker Gorilla Glass
-Added on/off button on the digital back's play button

Joe Towner

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2020, 06:03:47 pm »

Hey Steve, I'd love to see it, are they the Special Editions or normal units. Between shutdowns and isolations, it's most likely the worst time to have a niche product come out. I'm digging around to see if anyone has posted about it and am not finding anything.
t: @PNWMF

BAB

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2020, 06:05:52 pm »

Hasselblad gives away cameras to keep interest going in the X1D platform all firmware requests for the H6D 100c will be politely filed in the toilet.

Shame

Asking for firmware upgrades is like standing next to a tree a butting your head.

Don’t get me started.

PS. I have successfully used Automator on a Mac for focus stacking with Phocus (best tethering software available)

I’ve shot over 12k images in the past 30 days
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

TechTalk

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2020, 06:59:45 pm »

Yes. The 907x and CFV II 50c have been shipping for over 2 months. What a unique form factor when used together! Nice size when used with the new 45P compact lens and a versatile combo with the new XCD 35-75 zoom which is stunningly sharp. When the back is mounted on an older V series camera it feels much like shooting with a film back.

Here are some user shots with the 907x. https://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/907xcfvii50c

And a thread of 907x users at GetDPI entitled "Fun with the 907x" (apparently they don't know they're supposed to be sad)  https://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-format-systems-and-digital-backs/68158-fun-hasselblad-907x.html

The 907x is a unique connecting point for V, H, and X users. Mount the back on an old V camera for use with all of those lenses, attach the back to the 907x for full use of XCD lenses, or attach the H lens adapter to provide yet another platform for H-series lenses (manual focus only if the lens is older than about 2013 when the current lens firmware first appeared).

H lens owners have a tremendous variety of options for using their lenses. Hasselblad H cameras (up to 100 MP single-shot or 400 MP multi-shot), Leica S series with leaf shutter and autofocus function, 907x and X1D/X1D II mirrorless, Fuji GFX series with leaf shutter and manual focus (using FUJIFILM H Mount Adapter G), and Alpa with leaf shutter and manual focus.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2020, 07:13:10 pm »

There is no change in the screen. It's been 920K on all H6D cameras from the start.

As far as the bet, you can send a check. How much in dollars is good money?

The upgrade is simply that the buttons below the user interface are now backlit for easier viewing in dark environments and the play button will now also power the camera on or off with a long press instead of having to use the button on the grip. Also, the Gorilla Glass screen cover glass is now 50% thicker for better protection.

That's it. Just a couple of user convenience features and a minor durability update. No big deal.

As to your technical veracity, that's in your hands and who needs to argue these days.

Touché! You’re right and I was wrong. I misread the news as an upgraded screen, but the screen is the same.

It’s a highly unusual update for a four-year old model. It may be minor, but I see no downsides for end users. Backlight buttons and thicker glass.

Do you have any insight as to why this update at this time? My insight was clearly wrong!

TechTalk

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2020, 07:24:20 pm »

Hasselblad gives away cameras to keep interest going in the X1D platform

Sweet! Can you get one of those give away cameras for me? Please?

All I've seen are the new ones for sale at $5,750 (which my wallet informs me is not a give away) and used X1D models (which still run almost $4,000 for a clean one).

It seems they are reasonably priced, but not give aways. Probably one reason why they have been the best selling medium-format camera at B&H for most of the past 10 months. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1487057-REG/hasselblad_x1d_ii_50c_medium.html

TechTalk

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2020, 08:07:00 pm »

Touché! You’re right and I was wrong. I misread the news as an upgraded screen, but the screen is the same.

It’s a highly unusual update for a four-year old model. It may be minor, but I see no downsides for end users. Backlight buttons and thicker glass.

Do you have any insight as to why this update at this time? My insight was clearly wrong!

No problem. It was a little confusing that the word "display" was used in referring to the module where the buttons are located.

I have no insight at all for the update. If I was forced to guess, I would say they're likely something that R&D has planned as features for future models and that there was existing space available for it, required minimal engineering, so... let's make these minor improvements now. That's just speculation on my part as an observer.

I have no insight as to why or when any manufacturer rolls out features, updates, and products except by observation of past history and current events and trends.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 12:27:58 pm by TechTalk »

George_Cleansman

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2020, 10:38:08 pm »

There is no firmware update. The only changes are listed below as quoted from the Hasselblad Facebook page today.

A new H firmware will come in 2020.  :)

TechTalk

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2020, 11:42:50 pm »

A new H firmware will come in 2020.  :)

OK. Now that you've stated that twice, could you provide us with some evidence of that and tell us what features it will provide? It's a world full of rumor, speculation, and assertions presented as facts, especially in online forums.

George_Cleansman

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2020, 01:04:19 am »

OK. Now that you've stated that twice, could you provide us with some evidence of that and tell us what features it will provide? It's a world full of rumor, speculation, and assertions presented as facts, especially in online forums.

I agree to you that we have much rumors and speculation.

I had a mail contact to Hasselblad some months ago and heard that they are working on a new firmware with e.g. focus stacking also for the H camera. Hasselblad is a small company so it takes perhaps a little bit longer.

TechTalk

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2020, 03:55:56 am »

It's been almost 4 years since the H6D-100c was announced in August 2016, but nothing else on the H side of Hasselblad. It's quite sad that this is what the company has become.

Well. Let's see what Hasselblad has been up to since the H6D-100c was announced (which was itself a major overhaul of the internal electronics and user interface).

Starting with the H side of things: The H6D-400c MS was introduced at the beginning of 2018. Even if you don't want 400 MP images, I think it's worthwhile to see the difference that 4-shot makes on 100 MP images. The improvements in image quality are readily apparent. Hasselblad offers you a choice of single-shot, 4-shot, 6-shot (400 MP), 4K RAW full sensor width video, and film options from a single camera. It's quite sad that the options are so limited with other cameras; don't you think?

Of course, in the interim we've also seen the introduction from Hasselblad of entirely new categories and form factors of medium format cameras with the X1D/X1D II and 907x. While these are not upgrades to the H system; they are an extension of it as H lenses can be readily used with yet another option, mirrorless camera bodies. These use the new interface first introduced on the H6D-100c establishing a new cross-platform common user interface. Considering the number of photographers that are now using both DSLR and mirrorless systems, having a system that allows you to move one set of lenses between the two with relative ease has a number of advantages.

And perhaps realistic expectations for a small company in a very competitive market niche that wants to break new ground in new markets and to survive should be considered. In 4 years time: they have overhauled the H system with H6 cameras (in 50, 100, and 400 MP model options and an H6x to accommodate film and other digital back users), added 4K RAW video, introduced the X1D, X1D II, 907x, CFV II 50c along with an entirely new lens line (which includes a deep and refined set of lens profiles), the new A6D aerial system, and created Phocus Mobile 2 for tethering, Wi-Fi, processing, control, and sharing from an iPad. While at the same time regularly pushing out: new firmware to enable and improve promised features and stability for all the cameras, new features never promised (like the recent focus stacking for the X1D), and several new or improved features for Phocus along with major speed improvements. I would say the small, but dedicated, team of hardware, firmware, software, and optical engineers have been working hard along with the manufacturing staff.

Now, if your particular notion of a desired feature or product hasn't risen to the top of Hasselblad's rather long list of priorities; I understand that you're disappointed, but sad? What it appears to me they have tried to do is create a range of camera and lens options with unique form factors, feature sets, and a high degree of cross compatibility with a common user interface. From what I've observed, they've been pretty successful.

What they haven't changed is the extraordinarily consistent and natural color look that they have had for years. It is the most important aspect of the system for some users and I have frequently seen or heard the remark in reviews that the color is incredible or even the best they've ever seen. This, like most aspects of any camera system, is entirely subjective of course.

So will they ever do what every user, potential user, reviewer, critic, or armchair CEO thinks (or is certain) they should be doing? No, I don't think so. But no company will. I just hope they continue to innovate and design products that appeal to a large enough and broad enough number of users for whom the picture quality is as rewarding as their unique individual reasons for enjoying the experience of taking them.

BAB

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2020, 03:29:30 pm »

Hey tech talk when u jump on a forum like this bringing B.S. you stepped into it and we smell it!

Thanks for the history sum up but those of us who have lived it. Not just read and remember it, those of us who were sold promises from employees and have actually bought and used Hasselblad cameras and lenses for the last 30-40 tears oh meant years. We know first hand what the cameras and lenses capabilities are. And remember when The Hasselblad Brand meant BEST.

Released new innovated camera, crippled with bugs, promises of fixes and voodoo smoke oh we can’t do it so so here’s a new body cheaper please buy it and save our company what’s left of us it’s still not what you want but through this beautiful could be take a long camera on legs and it works slow but fine.

And ya sorry about not supporting the H but we did in the last three years make a few firmware changes so we could sell some new bodies and meet the requirements of those specific buyers.

About the H6D 100c and 400ms your clueless.

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

TechTalk

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2020, 08:46:50 pm »

Hey tech talk when u jump on a forum like this bringing B.S. you stepped into it and we smell it!

Does this mean that you're not going to get one of those cameras you said they were giving away for me?

I'm not sure who the "we" is for whom you've appointed yourself as spokesperson, but they're welcome to insult and attack me as well. I don't have any personal emotions invested here.

They can even make the same sort of false assumptions that you have regarding my 23 years of working in the trenches of digital imaging with a variety of camera systems and backs from my first Leaf DCB II Live on a 553 ELX (for catalog work) to the H6D-400c MS (for art repro) and knowing the pleasure of having a satisfied client as well as the pressure of trying to troubleshoot a problem in the middle of a shoot. It really doesn't matter to me. I have no desire to convince you of anything or to sooth anyone's pent-up hostility. I express my own point of view, just as you have so eloquently.

I do hope that you find writing your posts cathartic. Now I hope that you will find your weekend more enjoyable.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 12:21:21 pm by TechTalk »

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2020, 05:28:05 pm »

I've been mostly a Rollei guy since even before I became a dealer, but I have an X1D which I like a lot (I also have a Pentax 645z and well a lot of cameras).   Like Doug Peterson I may be biased, but I can still praise what I think is good gear that isn't my brand, and I have to say I really like the H platform and were I to buy a new MF system that is what I'd get.  I like the ergonomics and the viewfinder and the true focus and the fast sync speeds.  I also like the out of the box color rendering of the Hasselblads too.
Rolleiflex USA
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up