Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikkor Z 20mm f/1.8S vs Sony 20mm f/1.8G  (Read 21191 times)

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
Re: Nikkor Z 20mm f/1.8S vs Sony 20mm f/1.8G
« Reply #100 on: March 08, 2020, 03:31:17 am »

Just to say that if we think there is a correct answer to this argument and one solution we are being naive. Surely as adults we can understand that there are different styles, types of photography, budgetary constraints, technical requirements, weight restrictions and other factors that make the very concept of a “correct choice” ludicrous. If someone doesn't agree with you it does’t actually mean you are wrong or they are wrong or that your status or very reason for existence is being called into question.

I know some of the reasons people insist of buying f2,8 zooms and why they are irrelevant for some. No it’s not because one side cares more about quality than the other. That’s just dick swinging and doesn’t actually prove anything. Both f4 and f2,8 zooms will give quality sufficient for the job. If you are all about quality as the most important thing then get a MFDB.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

chez

« Reply #101 on: March 08, 2020, 09:17:33 am »

Just to say that if we think there is a correct answer to this argument and one solution we are being naive. Surely as adults we can understand that there are different styles, types of photography, budgetary constraints, technical requirements, weight restrictions and other factors that make the very concept of a “correct choice” ludicrous. If someone doesn't agree with you it does’t actually mean you are wrong or they are wrong or that your status or very reason for existence is being called into question.

I know some of the reasons people insist of buying f2,8 zooms and why they are irrelevant for some. No it’s not because one side cares more about quality than the other. That’s just dick swinging and doesn’t actually prove anything. Both f4 and f2,8 zooms will give quality sufficient for the job. If you are all about quality as the most important thing then get a MFDB.

And all this dick swinging came about when I said many professional photographers use the 2.8 trinity of zooms and you jumped in with dick swinging saying you don't use 2.8 lenses and you said I couldn't be more wrong. Maybe look at what you say before you jump on others.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #102 on: March 08, 2020, 09:37:57 am »

And all this dick swinging came about when I said many professional photographers use the 2.8 trinity of zooms and you jumped in with dick swinging saying you don't use 2.8 lenses and you said I couldn't be more wrong. Maybe look at what you say before you jump on others.

I never said you are wrong. My words were I couldn’t agree less. Do you see the difference? Are you aware that I can disagree with you and have valid reasons for doing so and that those reasons may be I have problems to solve that you do not have or have experiences you have not been exposed to? In a debate people put there point of view across and then give reasons as I did.

I do have one f2,8 zoom. I bought it because there was no quality f4 option available. I use an f4 70 to 200 rather than an f2,8 for reasons that have been done to death on this thread. I bought the f4 in preference to the 2,8 and do not regret that decision. I am a professional photographer and have earned all my money as such for decades. I know many professional photographers who have made the same decision. I also know many who use f2,8 zooms. I also know many who don’t use zooms at all. I’m sorry if that goes against you clearly fondly held beliefs.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #103 on: March 08, 2020, 09:43:20 am »

People, please, just use what you as individuals want and need to use and be done with it.

chez

« Reply #104 on: March 08, 2020, 10:24:46 am »

I never said you are wrong. My words were I couldn’t agree less. Do you see the difference? Are you aware that I can disagree with you and have valid reasons for doing so and that those reasons may be I have problems to solve that you do not have or have experiences you have not been exposed to? In a debate people put there point of view across and then give reasons as I did.

I do have one f2,8 zoom. I bought it because there was no quality f4 option available. I use an f4 70 to 200 rather than an f2,8 for reasons that have been done to death on this thread. I bought the f4 in preference to the 2,8 and do not regret that decision. I am a professional photographer and have earned all my money as such for decades. I know many professional photographers who have made the same decision. I also know many who use f2,8 zooms. I also know many who don’t use zooms at all. I’m sorry if that goes against you clearly fondly held beliefs.

Again...if you would have read carefully I said many professionals use 2.8'zoons...to which you said you couldn't agree less...implying not many professionals use 2.8 zooms. Well I still stand by my initial statement that many professionals use 2.8 zooms...and I know I am not wrong here...so you can strongly not agree because you don't use them...but you are wrong thinking professionals ( in fact many professionals ) don't use 2.8 zooms.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #105 on: March 08, 2020, 06:30:57 pm »

One thing is sure, I shot with the Nikon 14-30mm f4 at 14mm yesterday and was once again impressed by the image quality in the corners. Just remarkable. It’s similar to what I am getting from my Rodenstock 23mm on Arca... not 100% as good, but most probably very hard to tell apart on A2 prints, which is simply ming boggling.

Cheers,
Bernard

leuallen

« Reply #106 on: March 08, 2020, 07:22:55 pm »

I buy everything then I am only stuck with which one to use.

chez

« Reply #107 on: March 08, 2020, 07:25:04 pm »

One thing is sure, I shot with the Nikon 14-30mm f4 at 14mm yesterday and was once again impressed by the image quality in the corners. Just remarkable. It’s similar to what I am getting from my Rodenstock 23mm on Arca... not 100% as good, but most probably very hard to tell apart on A2 prints, which is simply ming boggling.

Cheers,
Bernard

That's odd as the reviewers appear to be disappointed at the image quality at 14mm. I guess either you have an exceptional copy and others not so good or the image quality standards of the reviewers are higher than yours.

As long as you are happy I guess.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #108 on: March 08, 2020, 08:22:30 pm »

That's odd as the reviewers appear to be disappointed at the image quality at 14mm. I guess either you have an exceptional copy and others not so good or the image quality standards of the reviewers are higher than yours.

As long as you are happy I guess.

Don’t know... the Rodenstock 23mm is considered one of the finest wide glass there is. Many reviewers have never even seen one.

Cheers,
Bernard

chez

« Reply #109 on: March 08, 2020, 09:06:39 pm »

Don’t know... the Rodenstock 23mm is considered one of the finest wide glass there is. Many reviewers have never even seen one.

Cheers,
Bernard

I thought this was about the 14-30? That's what Thom tested is it not? Same with the other testers. All disappointed with the 14-30 under 16mm and in fact Thom was disappointed with it at 30mm as well.

Like I said, could be cool variation...but too many reviewers giving the same impression at the wide end...or your standards differ from the other testers. As long as you feel happy...that is what counts.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #110 on: March 09, 2020, 09:03:28 am »

I thought this was about the 14-30? That's what Thom tested is it not? Same with the other testers. All disappointed with the 14-30 under 16mm and in fact Thom was disappointed with it at 30mm as well.

Like I said, could be cool variation...but too many reviewers giving the same impression at the wide end...or your standards differ from the other testers. As long as you feel happy...that is what counts.

I compare my copy of the 14-30mm to the best wide on the market and see little difference.

This isn’t about my happiness.

I honestly don’t care if the 14-30mm f4 is amazing or not, I just use what’s best for my needs.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 09:14:53 am by BernardLanguillier »

armand

• Photos
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 11:15:13 pm by armand »

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #113 on: March 29, 2020, 07:55:21 am »

As Jim Kasson writes in its conclusion:

"Pretty close. Since the a7RIV has a higher-resolution sensor than the Z7, some of its performance here says more about the camera than the lens."

I think it is not a good way to test two lenses on different sensors- the sensor may make some difference; especially if it has more pixels.
For sure the Nikon lens will do better on the Sony sensor.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

armand

• Photos
« Reply #114 on: March 29, 2020, 09:38:54 am »

I will wait for more testing but so far it's disappointing. The light fall off for example it's not related to the sensor resolution.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #115 on: March 29, 2020, 10:13:02 am »

I will wait for more testing but so far it's disappointing. The light fall off for example it's not related to the sensor resolution.
Maybe the two lenses are both great, depending on the use...

Anyway i would like to have a basic Lenstip Review on both. Unfortunately this Polish site is not capable to do many reviews.
Again a 20mm lens, like many wide angle lenses may have surprises, that tests are not showing.
One of them: the field of sharpness may vary strongly along with aperture and distance.
Also Nikon makes S-lenses with minor breathing to use them in video.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

RobertJ

« Reply #116 on: March 29, 2020, 05:09:59 pm »

What Jim needs is an electronic Techart E to Z adapter.  That way you can have both lenses on the Z7.  Sure, it's not ideal to use adapters, but it would be interesting to see.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #117 on: March 29, 2020, 05:36:35 pm »

I have been using a lot the Sony 135mm f1.8 GM vs the Nikon 85mm f1.8 S.

The Sony lens is technically excellent, sharp,... and so is the Nikon. Probably a technical draw overall. But... I just far prefer the look of the images shot with the Nikon lens.

Some of the may result from some body driven aspects (colors), but there is more to it. It’s about look of bokeh and the transition from sharp areas to oof ones,...

Nikon has also been known for, and explicitly wrote about this, their intend to merge 2 lenses in one:
- sharp accross the field at medium apertures when it matters for landscape,
- optimized look at wide aperture when attempting to have limited DoF (typically close up for wide glass)

So we’ll have to test at various distances to understand what they optimized the lens for.

Nikon being the marketing disaster they are we can’t expect them to tell us about it...

Finally, not all the lens can be designed by the best engineer in the team. The 20mm f1.8 may end up just being a very very good lens and not an outstanding one generally speaking. Even so it could still be outstanding for some usage such as landscape work.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 09:39:55 pm by BernardLanguillier »

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #118 on: March 30, 2020, 07:56:19 am »

Interesting review on the sony lens here:
https://www.cameralabs.com/sony-fe-20mm-f1-8-g-review/

It seems a very good lens with even for 20mm a fine bokeh. very sharp corners even wide open.

one special thing about this lens:
Vignetting is high at f1.8 lower at f2.8 and again high at f4???

PS the nikkor S lens (es) just have to be very good for there is no choice for the Z-owner at the moment.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #119 on: March 30, 2020, 08:17:30 am »

PS the nikkor S lens (es) just have to be very good for there is no choice for the Z-owner at the moment.

Not quite, the TechArt adapter works ok and is totally fine for such a lens.

If the Sony really is better Nikon users can just buy the Sony.

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up